• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
With it being the week of July 4th here in the U.S., some of us are probably off a few days, definitely off on Thursday, and have a long weekend. What's the vibe of your office this week?

Mine's pretty slow, most people are out. Trying to find ways to be productive while projects are stalled. I have the 4th off, and the boss told us all to WFH on Friday, so we pretty much have a four day weekend. Which is great, because I'm moving on Saturday.

Last edited:

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We don't really do 4th of July here in Europe (obviously), so it's a regular week. With summer vacation approaching fast, it's going to be a graveyard relatively speaking in a few weeks time. Out of around 5000 employees I reckon around or more than half have taken days or weeks off. Save a few people like me who have vacation plans on later dates.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
In the UK so we don't do Jul 4th, but my client is US based so I'm expecting a relatively quiet end to the week

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people here Monday - Wednesday because there's work to do, but basically everyone will be gone Friday.

Personally I'm checked out for the week.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I work from home but usually go in 1 day a week. Not this week! I have Wed-Sun off. I think 75% of the office took Friday off. Also, I worked on Sunday so that I am only using 8hrs of PTO for 5 days off, which is awesome. I work 5am - 1:30 so my vacation starts in less than 6 hours!

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
Europe so no four of July.

Air conditioning super low, if lucky will get sick so not touching that thermostat.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
In NZ, so nobody is celebrating the 4th of July outside of us running related events in some of our games.

Outside of that, it's a studio Lab Day tomorrow, which is basically a "free day" for self directed, prototyping, or other exploration. And we have a social club outing to Spider-Man and Toy Story 4 on Thursday.

All in all, a solid week without too much pressure and a few fun things happening.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
It should be a chill week with an office party today and a lot of people going out of town, but our idiot CEO is trying to squeeze in as much as possible, stressing people out. A lot of folks don't want to participate in our office party thing because they have so much work to do. Should be a sign to management, but nope they just keep piling shit on.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Monday was a holiday in Canada, Friday is a holiday in the US. Although both sides work on their respective working days, this is basically a 3 day week for most. A lot of folks are on vacation too as some have mentioned so yeah. Slow week.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
We have to work on the 5th. First job I've ever had that you have to work the day after. Most people take off that day but I have to much stuff to do plus I love my job so I'm cool with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Typically management would have long weekend plans and it'd be like 6 of us in the office the day after the 4th, but they gave us the 5th off.

I was off Monday for an eye appointment, so this is only a two day work week for me. Probably kind of lax. Not sure what the vibe is because I haven't been in yet.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
We have to work on the 5th. First job I've ever had that you have to work the day after. Most people take off that day but I have to much stuff to do plus I love my job so I'm cool with it.
If I didn't take it off I'd have to work the day after too. We also have to work day after Thanksgiving, even though it's like our most dead day off the year, every year. To me it's a clear sign of a company that doesn't give a shit about having happy employees.

Speaking specifically about office jobs. Retail and food service always gets fucked. Did that shit for 11 years

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If I didn't take it off I'd have to work the day after too. We also have to work day after Thanksgiving, even though it's like our most dead day off the year, every year. To me it's a clear sign of a company that doesn't give a shit about having happy employees.

Speaking specifically about office jobs. Retail and food service always gets fucked. Did that shit for 11 years

What a change from my last job which we always had Xmas through NYE. It was like a week and a half off every year.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Extremely normal. A combination of a sales, product support and technical support office that deals with customers world wide isn't a place where its cool for things to slow down. The office is even open on Friday, although I was fortunate to be able to take off on Friday using my PTO hours.

My workplace has off when UPS has off, which is a very strange guideline but I just work here. Previous years at this place I worked both July 5ths.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Completely dead. Yesterday I almost finished all my work for the week because no one interrupted me. Going to take the rest of the week (besides Thursday) to get waaaaay ahead.

Oct 26, 2017
Nice and slow. Some new work assigned but not a big rush to get it done.

Plenty of people out this week so fairly quiet here. Company doesn't give Friday off after the 4th, but boss said it's cool to 'work from home' *wink wink*, so basically a 3-day work week here, score!

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I didn't even realize that it was the week of the 4th until yesterday, lol. I should take Friday off.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I had one 30 minute meeting on Monday. Nothing to do today and a half day tomorrow.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
ha, most holidays do not stop work at a telecommunications company. Also we only get Thursday off so you can't even stay up late and watch fireworks/drink a few beers. You have to turn around and come in Friday.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Monday to wednesday @ work, thursday off and friday off.

I'll be working a good bit to get deliverables out before Thursday but hoping to get out at normal times so I can study. The office space is pretty dead though.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just a normal week with Thursday off, really. Busier than usual, actually, so far. Traffic is lighter though at least.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently traveling for two days and will return to a whole lot of work. Thursday off, but Friday is business as usual.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
On the 3rd, our owner is BBQing ribs and getting some baked beans and coleslaw for everyone on the factory floor. His ribs are middle of the road, but the place we get baked beans from is amazing lol. Basically we end up with a half day on the 3rd and are off for the 4th.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm working from home today and this week is basically a wash with everyone cancelling meetings. This is going to be a relatively down week.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I get the 4th off and thats it.

Thankfully everyone else seems to be off this week so the commute is nicer. Friday should be very quick lol

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
US for a large company.

Nobody is working Thur or Fri.

Plenty of people are "working" the first half of the week but that just means going to mandatory meetings and responding to emails; no one really has any initiative. I know a few people in my office left early in the day to see a movie. Hell, one dude went and bought a car in the morning.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Let's see I work at a theme park so.
serveimage

Oct 25, 2017
Slow, but colleagues are fighting about politics. Keep fighting, fuckers, and some of you may be out on your ass.

keeblerdrow

Dec 17, 2017
They granted too many people PTO so we have well under half the staff with the same amount of work. Big thumbs up on my week.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Worked yesterday and today. Taking Wednesday and Friday (work's closed Thursday naturally) off so I'll have a nice long weekend.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
A lot of people are out, especially since my customer is government related. I'm off Thursday, but since I'm trying to get a project done, I'll be in Wednesday and Friday and will probably just bail out early.

Last edited:

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I've been sick since last Friday so I haven't been to the office yet this week. Based on past years though, most people are going to be working from home or taking time off, especially with the holiday falling on a Thursday. I'll be surprised if there is a single person in the office on the 5th.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Parking lot is visibly emptier, but there are still plenty of folks around—with most likely taking Friday off as well, it means peeps gotta work extra hard this week.