• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I don't really have one, but when I first got this, I was like wtf is this:
latest

But then I actually played it and it's one of my favourite puzzle games of all time.
Certainly better than some of the licenced shit I actually wanted back then coughbatmanforeversnescough

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Mine I did to myself. My grandma gave me Christmas money on Christmas Eve, enough to buy a game, and I bugged my uncle to take me to TRU so I'd have a game to play the next day. I really wanted Star Wars or Wave Race, but they were sold out of both of those, so my impatient punk ass bought Cruisn USA instead of waiting until after Christmas to try other stores.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
I got Dave Mirrah BMX 2 for GBA. Not a bad game, but the worst part was the game couldn't save properly, and would randomly restart.

I made a game out of it at one point, trying to see how much I could do before the game restarted.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I never seen this one. So it's a Capcom NES game port done by sunsoft.

Sweet jesus that is one quality port. Crazy for the GB. Learn something new everyday.

Capcom developed it, Sunsoft just published the late 90s re-issue of the game for whatever reason.

It's a great version of the game, though. It's similar to the GB Megaman games in that the game isn't a straight port but instead a remix of sorts of the level design found in the NES version. DuckTales 1 & 2 on Game Boy were the same as well.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
My parents were pretty good about getting me what I wanted, or maybe I was just good about making my lists clear. The closest I have to a misguided parent story is that when I was 5-6, I wanted a Playstation and NFL Blitz, and they got me an N64 with NFL Blitz. My memory is hazy of that age; I don't remember if I was disappointed.

Last edited:

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
My mom was pretty fucking good at picking games out, even when I was young and didn't know what I wanted.

She bought me some NBA game for PS2 when I was basically 15 or 16. I smiled and played it for a while but I just don't like sports games.

Other than that... my brother got me Lord of the Rings: Something RPG for Gamecube. I asked for it in a roundabout way out of my interest in LOTR, and it absolutely sucked, even with my adherence to slow, plodding, grindy RPGs. He later told me he wanted to get me a Resident Evil 1/0 combo pack, which I would have loved in retrospect.

Edit: now that I'm thinking about it, I have a lot of licensed games and other low quality stuff that I was given for holidays or my birthday, but nothing too memorable as a "what the fuck is this?" moment. Probably Batman Forever for SNES, but I'm pretty sure my mom scooped that up for $5 or $10 on a whim

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

Disc golf game I got from my brother. The year before he'd got it from our mom. The next year I gifted it to my other brother. We love disc golf but despite being a Christmas present 3 years in a row I do not believe anyone in my family has ever played this game.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was 2002, i had just gotten a ps2 for christmas with 3 games. Harry potter and the chamber of secrets (which ended up being fucking awesome), spyro: enter the dragonfly (which was fucking awful) and then i really wanted jak and daxter as well, instead i got this...
51QKVVPJ3AL._SX342_.jpg

to be fair, it ended up being a fun multiplayer game to play with my friends and my sisters when they actually wanted to play video game with me.

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
My parents got me a PS2 for Christmas and I was so stoked... but then I opened the game that came with it and it was a PS1 game, Final Fantasy IX. I had never heard of Final Fantasy before and I was so sad getting a PS1 game instead of a new PS2 game... but then I actually played it and loved the shit out of it. Good job, parents (and whoever the store clerk was that likely recommended it).

iu

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I can't remember a single game I was ever disappointed in receiving. I pretty much got all the good ones every year plus some extra ones I didn't ask for but it was VIDEOGAMESMAN. How can you be mad at---

...gdi, Era.

It amazes me how I continue to disappoint people because I didn't like game that people do. It was the first game I actually got as a gift as well, since I wasn't allowed to own any before. Everyone seems bothered that I was wanting another game and got something I didn't like...

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
My parents got me a PS2 for Christmas and I was so stoked... but then I opened the game that came with it and it was a PS1 game, Final Fantasy IX. I had never heard of Final Fantasy before and I was so sad getting a PS1 game instead of a new PS2 game... but then I actually played it and loved the shit out of it. Good job, parents (and whoever the store clerk was that likely recommended it).

This is a huge win in my book.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
81%2BQ9hkADyL._SX569_.jpg

Wasn't for Xmas but a birthday present. Just because I only knew the series by name and a small demo of the original back in the day that I did not enjoy.

On the opposite side of this though was getting Rival Schools randomly on xmas without asking for it. I asked for like a ton of games one year and got basically all of them plus this. Never heard of it but the mom unit knew I liked fighters. Randomly got sold it by the EB games clerk, and boy oh boy was that a good call.

Jun 23, 2019
Aww man thinking about this memory always brings a tear to my eye, but I remember growing up in the hood in Philadelphia and we had a Super Nintendo. We were pretty poor and my mom and dad was only able to buy us all one gift. I had wanted Megaman X2 so badly.

Well, Christmas time comes and my mom handed me a box and I started freaking out because THIS JUST HAS TO BE MEGAMAN X2. I open the wrapping paper to see Megaman....for the NES. They had bought the wrong game and I knew they probably bought it secondhand and didn't know better. I was so disappointed, but the look in my parents' faces seeing them happy, I couldn't bring myself to tell them they got the wrong game so I started acting like the N64 kid and acted like it was the greatest gift of all time. Aww man I love my parents.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
So, I just did this to myself. I thought I was buying Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair on Switch, and I now see I actually bought classic Yooka. Oy.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
My mum bought me the Sims 2 Pets for the DS by herself once, and I couldn't manage to hide my disappointment in time, so I felt absolutely DREADFUL when they asked if I wanted to return it and agreed. I still look back on it and feel like an absolute jerk since it's a really cute gift in hindsight, even if the game is pretty crappy.

FullWalter

Mar 13, 2018
Crash Bash.

I was a high schooler working at an EB Games at the time and the manager knew that I could easily return it without a receipt, so he sold Crash Bash to my mom for Christmas, just to make me have to squirm on X-Mas morning.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
118033-chelnov-atomic-runner-genesis-front-cover.jpg

No idea how I ended up with this game, as I certainly didn't ask my grandparents for it. Nevertheless, they got it for me for Christmas one year. It's... Not great. Not that I didn't try to like it.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
my brother and I became convinced one Christmas that the substantial box under the tree was a Sega CD. This was despite not having asked for a Sega CD. this went on for weeks and we gradually worked ourselves up into a lather until the Christmas day reveal came and... it was a set of weights. It's maybe one of the most memorable things to happen at Christmas - even on the day, we found the inversion pretty hilarious.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I remember opening a present on xmas morning and getting one of those Tips n Tricks magazines that had a UMK3 feature blowout with full strategy guide in it, and since I was demolishing quarters on UMK3 at the local arcade I thought for sure I was going to get UMK3 for Genesis as well. Nope.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I asked for Final Fantasy. I got Dick Tracy.

But it balanced out since I also got Tetris.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
my dad bought me a copy of space jam on blu ray but i already owned a copy of space jam on blu ray

ended up with 2 copies of space jam for years

that's about it though.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I never got a bad game for Christmas back when I was a kid, as only my parents and one cousin ever got me games. My parents asked me what I wanted and my cousin knew what was cool (he was very into the scene and imported snes jrpgs and had a neo geo cd).

Once he got me Castlevania III : Dracula's Curse on the NES. Was playing that non-stop till new years day lol

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Got this 2 for my new PC at the time, my parents knew zero about games so i suppose they just got whatever it looked good for them? lol
220px-Trolls_DOS_Cover.jpg

2cf08714695520333d28e001d25ba8ef.jpg

Atlantis at least looked nicem it clearly had a budget, and it was hard as balls.
(Trolls was also hard as balls, but in a what am i playing game)

I know absolutely no one who had Atlantis, we didnt had internet either so my uncle a me try to beat it but couldnt becuase of puzzles or some fast reaction stuff.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I got this RPG Metal Dungeon for Xbox for Christmas. It looked awful from the box and it was awful. I still don't know why my parent's got me it when they bought me an Xbox. To be fair, they did also get me Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic so it was still a really great gift that year. But yeah...Metal Dungeon. I still have the game actually.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

iu
Similar story of a better game than I hoped.

My dad bought me MDK for Christmas one year. I hadn't heard of it and was quite disappointed, until I played it.

Good call.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ps2_smugglers_run_p_xlm0kn.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

It was the year the PS2 launched in America and my brother and I begged our parents to get one for us, although we didn't have any specific games we wanted alongside it. We got both Smuggler's Run and Summoner, which weren't really that great but they looked cool and we were gonna play just about anything we put into the system at that point. I think a week or so later my parents found a game they forgot to give us that my dad left in his car, it was Tekken Tag Tournament. We played the shit out of that.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It amazes me how I continue to disappoint people because I didn't like game that people do. It was the first game I actually got as a gift as well, since I wasn't allowed to own any before. Everyone seems bothered that I was wanting another game and got something I didn't like...

Ignore them. Let them live in their little echo chambers.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I got shadow the hedgehog on Christmas 2005. I also got Pokemon xd gales of darkness and soul calibur 2 for gamecube that holiday so I wasnt too dissapointed with my gifts.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Not as bad as some of you had it but probably this one.

GIQE78.png

It's actually not bad, but not really good either. At least it has co-op, so my brother and I managed to get some decent fun out of it. We finished the game in one afternoon and never played it again.

Also, a bunch of Gameboy Advance shovelware, you know, those crappy THQ licensed games like Jimmy Neutron or Monsters INC. I hated THQ's trash since then.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Closest I have to one of these is when my brother and I convinced our mother to let us open one gift on Christmas Eve. I went for an N64 game-shaped present in the hopes it was F-Zero X. It ended up being a game that I don't think I asked for: Ocarina of Time.

We enjoyed it.