• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
What's your favourite Christmas present you ever got? Mine is the GameCube with Pokemon colloseum I got in 2004. It was my first home console I got that was mine and not my brothers I got to occasionally use when he wasn't home. Also the first time I got to play 3D Zelda.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Devastator - all 6 Constructicons in one big box. I LOVED the Transformers as a kid. Still do, just less enthusiastically.

Runner-up: the only videogame console I ever got as a Christmas present, the Atari 2600. It was actually for the whole family, but by the time I got done beating everyone at Combat (the pack-in game) all day, I pretty much had it to myself.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
31qjeACpnGL._SR600,315_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Talked to my parents about this a couple of years ago and according to them me and my brother never freaked out as much as when we got the Mega Drive with Sonic 2.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
N64

Could not believe what I was seeing and controlling on my TV. It felt like someone had transported me to the future.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
A framed picture of my dog from my parents a few years ago. Wasn't something I expected at all, but I absolutely loved it.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Probably the year I got a bike. So much freedom gained that following year.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Probably a Super NES with the Super Scope. Prior to that I had never owned video games but then I moved to live with another relative of mine and her daughter started spoiling me rotten, beginning with that present. I was fucking blown away.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I was maybe 12? when I got the original Game Boy. I pretty much lost my shit, there is video and it's embarrassing.

Rhodo

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't remember a lot of xmases but 2000 when my dad waited outside of a Gamestop for hours to get a wii and Twilight Princess during the holidays is probably the gift that sticks out the most. We spent all morning trying to get that damn fishing part to work at the beginning of the game. A real collaborative effort. Replayed it recently, still don't understand how to do it reliably.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
fde496_7e97f6f0722f40b18be23b2d58f20e97~mv2.jpg

The story of my dad getting this for me I'm 99% sure is the basis for "Jingle All the Way" with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It will always be the Sega Genesis back in the early 90's.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Compaq Presario PC for Xmas of 96. It was probably the most expensive gift my parents ever got me. It opened up all these possibilities to do things (games, internet, 3d modeling, photo editing, etc) which set me on the path to my current career.

EDIT - Found the exact one I had!

presrio_4704_171.jpg

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Commodore 64, 13" color TV and tape drive in the early 80s. Didn't get a floppy drive until 9 months later.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
A PS2 Slim that my girlfriend (now wife) got me for our first Xmas together. It was so unexpected, as we both worked shitty jobs with low pay, but she really wanted it to be special. It came with GTA: Vice City, and I didn't have a memory card for about a week due to it being Xmas and not being able to go anywhere to buy one. I must have played the first few hours of Vice City so many times.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
super-nintendo-us-super-mario-world-console.jpg

So epic. We had an NES before this, but my parents just kind of came home with it one day and it was for myself and all my family. This one was my Birthday/Xmas present combined (I'm a Dec 24 baby). I think my parents and grandparents pitched in together to get it for me. I'll never forget the excitement of opening that one up.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
I was 10 years old, 2001, got a PS2 with Devil May Cry and Kingdom Hearts. Best fucking Christmas ever.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
One Christmas I got a chess set. After the presents were opened, my dad asked if I wanted to play chess with him. I said yes, opened the chess set & in addition to the chess set, I found a copy of Rock N Roll Racing for the SNES. I was super excited (but first actually did play a game of chess).

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Zelda II, not because of the game itself, but because of the absolutely epic effort by my mom to secure a copy. She visited multiple toy/game stores in the area every day for the 3 weeks after the launch leading up to Christmas only to find a copy on Christmas Eve. All to make a 13 year old boy's Christmas a happy one.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the best gifts I've gotten were from ERA (and previously GAF) secret santas
Consider this a shameless plug

Kentucky booze and chips
7wBQ85N.jpg

Chocolates from scotland
ELJqNFa.jpg

More candy from Austria
WCxvLAC.jpg

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1993: When I went to bed, there were only a few really small boxes under the tree for me, while my sister and brother both had one enormous present each. I wanted a Sega CD so badly, but none of the boxes could have possibly held one, so I went to bed hoping for the best. Wound up waking up at the crack of dawn before anyone else got up, and crept to the front room. There, in the middle of the room, where one hadn't been before, was an unwrapped Sega CD with Sonic CD sitting on top of it. I just sat down and stared at the box for hours until everyone else woke up and my dad helped me hook it up. Amazing, amazing christmas.

My brother's enormous present wound up being a giant pair of speakers (remember when speakers were like 3 feet tall) which we hooked up to the Sega CD, and my sister wound up getting a bunch of music CDs, so that Sega CD sort of became the entire family's gift. We put it in the front room next to the big TV (which also meant I got to hook my Genesis up to the big tv) and all used it together.

Second favorite:

DpA3Vm6U8AAC6kY.jpg:large

The christmas I got a pair of Sega Scope 3D glasses and space harrier 3D.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda II, not because of the game itself, but because of the absolutely epic effort by my mom to secure a copy. She visited multiple toy/game stores in the area every day for the 3 weeks after the launch leading up to Christmas only to find a copy on Christmas Eve. All to make a 13 year old boy's Christmas a happy one.

I was very fortunate to have a mom who always came through with tough-to-find presents.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
A train set that even spewed real smoke. I loved the shit out of that toy for so long.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017

This is number two for me.

super-nintendo-us-super-mario-world-console.jpg

So epic. We had an NES before this, but my parents just kind of came home with it one day and it was for myself and all my family. This one was my Birthday/Xmas present combined (I'm a Dec 24 baby). I think my parents and grandparents pitched in together to get it for me. I'll never forget the excitement of opening that one up.

This is number one. The SNES just blew me away. I lost my goddamn mind when I opened this up on Christmas morning. Best console of all time.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I got a Jeep when I was a kid. I loved it so much I would not move from it.

I've never owned an actual Jeep.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Probably the N64 with Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. I was 10, and hyped as hell for it after first seeing footage of it, and it only got worse after I accidentally discovered it sitting in my parents closet and having to wait a few months to finally get it in my hands.