• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have a soft spot for the Grinch leak because I think I was the first person, at least on this site, to point out how the Grinch artwork wasn't available anywhere else on the internet, so it must have been produced at a legit printing company. It was so bizarre! I hope that troll kept their job, at least.

Besides that the oval NX was hilarious, and there's the legendary platypus Pokémon (which eventually wound up in Tem Tem)

Eb2w9PhUYAAJexX.jpg

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
How anybody fell for the Grinch leak is beyond me.

That robot arm from the Reggie pic was intriguing but I thought somebody figured out what game it was actually from.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno how common this was around the internet in general, but I was posting on a board back in 2013 where some of the users had a theory Nintendo had a secondary secret SoC in the Wii U they were going to activate after the PS4 and Xbone were out to reveal their system was just as powerful.

Wild times lol

I can't stop laughing over this.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I have a soft spot for the Grinch leak because I think I was the first person, at least on this site, to point out how the Grinch artwork wasn't available anywhere else on the internet, so it must have been produced at a legit printing company. It was so bizarre! I hope that troll kept their job, at least.

Besides that the oval NX was hilarious, and there's the legendary platypus Pokémon (which eventually wound up in Tem Tem)

Eb2w9PhUYAAJexX.jpg

I absolutely LOVE that design for a water starter and feel it's superior in every way to Sobble.

And my favorite is this design for the final evolution for a fire starter. I love everything about it and feel it's also superior to Cinderace.

D4iSJo0W4AEz2Rw.jpg

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking back, I remember there being a rumor that Nintendo was putting out a holographic display during the GameCube years, which is wild as hell to think about now.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cartoon.

Because I wrote the text rumor on GameFaqs and then a totally different party made a fake scan which even scared me.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Wii HD coming with a buyback scheme if you owned a Wii (orignal source long dead website). How could anyone believe this lol.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The NX fake was so good because the twist is that it wasn't a photoshop, it was an actual physical object someone made. I appreciate the effort.

Halfstar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thinking back, I remember there being a rumor that Nintendo was putting out a holographic display during the GameCube years, which is wild as hell to think about now.
The GameCube actually had the ability to connect to a stereoscopic display. That's probably why the launch game Luigi's Mansion had transparent ghosts and a non rotating camera, both would look great in 3D. It was supposed to get a no-glasses 3D display like the 3DS. It was just never sold because it was too expensive to make.
From Iwata Asks

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Remember when Skull Kid was going to be in Smash because of the colors of some chairs?

I remember.

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
there were a bunch of crazy NX rumors. One claimed it would share computing power from a smartphone or laptop or something? or that it would also run Nintendo's smartphone games.

There was also one that the controllers would be dumb plastic, simple mechanical devices that had all the sensors in the base unit.

maybe the controller one was a crossed wire about labo or the ring-con.

I also liked the brief bad datamine rumor that Twilight Princess was coming to 3DS (this is before it was announced for Wii U)

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
This one always baffled me. Of all the characters folks thought would be added to Super Smash Bros., why on earth did anyone of sound mind fall for a Dr. Seuss character?
I think it was called the grinch leak since there was material with the grinch on it in the pictures, that was unrelated to smash.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Too many classics from the Switch era alone.

+Fake Switch controller with the screen. I was hesitant to believe it, but didn't know how such a thing would exist. Someone said that it was just 3D printed which I thought was too much effort... surely enough it was just 3D printed.

+LKD getting everything wrong about the Switch January event. This included everything from Mario to being a launch title, Zelda not being a launch title, Mother 3 VC announcement, and Switch being $199.

+Pokemon Stars. This was supposed to be the Sun and Moon third version for Switch. Eurogamer published this rumor the exact day Pokemon Sun and Moon went on sale. When UltraSun/Moon came out the rumor seemed to be BTFO but Eurogamer stuck by it saying that Pokemon Stars was totally real everyone believe me.

+StarFox Racing. Everyone swore up and down that this was real only for it to obviously be based on Starlink's racing mode.

+Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch is done and Nintendo is just sitting on it. I guess this could be true... but uh, we're waiting.

+Grinch leak. A lot of holes in it retrospectively, but it was such a bizarre and unique leak that made you question how someone could even fake it. Like the fake NX controller, people will go to fantastical lengths to lie on the internet.

+Switch Pro. No comment.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This absolute classic:

It's gotta be this or mew in Pokemon. The fact that before the internet was huge everyone just knew you could catch mew under that one truck but all had different ways to do it, just to have an actual way to catch him being found a decade later is amazing.

oldmess

Oct 18, 2018
The (fake) Switch 5.0 firmware leak was the only one that got me... But it got me good! 😅 I was really left in a "cognitive dissonance" mode for a few minutes when it was revealed that someone had really taken the effort to edit the whole thing.