• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
IiKNiJS.jpg
6VaQH5f.gif

Holy fuck.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Personal fav was the Endgame Thanos Snap one, recall watching to see if I got snapped or not, and then did some Mazes to get The Fallen back.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where's the one where a guy was talking about his relationship problems while using a lot of slang, and then a lot of people didn't understand him, so someone came in and made a Victorian Era translation?

That was the funniest shit I have ever read

How hasn't this been linked yet? That post absolutely slayed me. PogChamp I remember it was you. Present the link if though dost will it.

Mine brethren.

The original post:

I don't like confrontation, I try to avoid it at all cost. That's why if I don't like someone I stay clear of them. The reason I never liked her brother because he is a scammer. He takes advantage of her all the time, I never get involved becauseI I feel it isn't my place. I stop over her place after work, and he drops by to ask to borrow her car. The get into argument because he is a fuckhead and never brings it back in time. I'm about to leave and he says "bye nigga" in a rude ass tone. In my head I'm like "I'm about smack the shit out of this nigga". I leave because I don't like confrontation, now my GF lives on the second floor. I hear him open door after me and say "I been meaning catch this fade" this clown ass bitch tries to sneak me, by going for a swing behind my back MISSES falls over the balcony. She runs down the stairs, I WALK down the stairs. He sound like that guy form Spongebob "MY LEG!" his shit was all types of fucked up with juice leaking everywhere. My GF deadass thought I was going to spend my night in the hospital for this dude. All I was trying do is smash, then go home and play some smash. How big of a fuck up do you have to be were you can't even sucker punch someone correctly?

Translation:

Here you go guys, I've translated for your convenience.

"I abhor confrontation, I attempt to elude it with every fiber of my being. For that reason, I steer clear of individuals whom displease me. The cause of my never having been agreeable with her male sibling is that he is a charlatan. He extorts her at every waking moment, I myself abstain from associating as the events are not occurring in my own private domicile. Subsequent to finishing my work, I maneuver myself to the the area above her living quarters, whereupon he falls in and inquires as to the possibility of bumming her motor vehicle. They squabble by reason of his condition of cephalocopulation and failing to return the vehicle in a timely manner. I am on the verge of egress and he verbalizes "farewell, negro" in an impolite inflection reeking of buttocks. I exit as disputes are to my distaste; at the moment, my mistress resides on the second story. Thereafter, I hear him swing the door ajar and vocalize "It has been my intention to acquire this pale," this jester donkey tart attempts to accost me with a subtle strike, endeavoring to land a wallop dorsally, BLUNDERS and tumbles o'er the banister. She dashes to a lower altitude. I leisurely stroll subjacent. He emulates the fellow from Spongebob "MINE LIMB!" indeed, his faeces was all character of bungled with viscera sloshing about. My mistress vehemently supposed I would sojourn at the infirmary for this chap. My only undertaking was to shag, then return homeward to engage in fisticuffs. How large a nitwit must one exist as that you are unable to bushwhack an individual properly?"

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the hype train leading up to GoW when we got Cory and some other devs from SSM in here.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
The time Celica got sick of Alm's shit.
Alm said:
So I'm dogsitting at my parent's and psyched to play Fire Emblem. I brought everything but forgot my Pro Controller. The game in handheld mode is damn near unplayable because its clearly not optimized for handheld play and reading the text literally makes my eyes hurt its so tiny. Fine. I'll play it docked on the TV. Except my goddamn left Joy-Con keeps desyncing or lagging input. And mind you I'm one of the lucky people who "only" have this issue as opposed to Joy-Con drift (I'm sure I'll get that soon and the Joy-Con(s) won't work properly even in handheld mode). This thing is the worst, most unreliable, biggest pain in the ass of any video game console I've owned and literally the only good thing about it are the games themselves. The Switch Lite won't be any better. The entire thing needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.
6HxLrKm.png

(Recreation, the avatar was changed a few months after the thread was made.)

For a more serious answer, i really liked how a former CI Games dev snuck onto a "How do devs feel when a game gets critically slammed?" thread, and went into a nice discussion on what happened with Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3.
I think deep down you always know if and why your game will be poorly received. We're all gamers too... and if we have no pleasure in playing our games during the late QA debug stages, we know our players won't enjoy it either. It happened a few times in my career, as a Level Artist on Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 for example. We knew the direction the game was taking, but we were just artists or programmers with no power to influence the game's direction. Lots of us left before completion, even more were fired at launch. It's always the same pattern:
  • The mood at work is terrible, layoffs are frequent, direction is angry and managers are on the edge.
  • Directors and leads are always on the hunt for "quick wins" that never deliver or cause more issues immediately after implementation.
  • Sometimes it's like a trainwreck where nothing ever worked in the first place, sometimes it's a house of cards where the last few elements ruin the entire design.
  • Some other times it's a lingering feeling during the whole production: some elements are pushed before others, you feel like the project is an upside-down pyramid where the core is not solid at all and you keep building upon it.
But you know, most of the time the game is actually cancelled before release because there's a reputation on the line for everybody involved... I feel like for all the terrible games out there we have been saved of many others.
If you have specific questions I'd be happy to answer!
I will try my best! I'm answering underneath each of them for clarity.
  1. SGW3's main story is pretty bad. Random dialogue from NPCs? Pretty good. The actual plot? Terrible. What happened to SGW3's plot? Was it always this bad? The game had different, vastly superior voice actors a year or so before it released. Did SGW3 at any point have a plot that didn't revolve around the ludicrous twist involving Robert and Armazi that the average player sees coming from about 20 hours away?
    • The story was completely different for most of production. It was designed by a huge name in the industry, Paul Robinson, who was let go when creative differences arose between him and the CEO. They butchered his idea which involved an homosexual ex-US military villain in love with the hero's brother. I know it sounds corny but being himself a gay vet, the story was very deep, tough and real. He said many time he was "making the game of his life". We all loved the guy, his plot and its boldness. We often stayed longer at work just to hear his old stories... He sadly passed away from cancer a few months ago, and everybody who knew him or worked with him was devastated.
  2. Could you give me some examples of bad ideas you were forced to put into the game, design-wise? Good ideas you were forced to cut?
    • Tough to say, there was constant changes from the game direction. I think everything was kept but lots were modified and implemented in a different way than originally intended.
  3. What was the internal discussion around SGW3's severely problematic NPC draw distance? Eurogamer released a video in disbelief that a sniping game had NPCs that disappeared when you tied to snipe them. The complaints were widespread. Surely you guys knew it was a problem. What were the politics preventing it being fixed?
    • Oh despite was the CEO was saying at the time, we had QA departments. Everybody was aware of performance issues. The last minute fixes like the NPC draw distance were an aftermath of trying to keep the game running on consoles and mid-tier PCs. Generally speaking, performances were horrendous during most of production.
  4. SGW3's day/night system was broken. Despite huge outcry on the Steam forums along with all the other complaints, it was never fixed. The game resets to midnight every time you die, and it sucks. Speaking as a modder, it it could have been fixed within a day or so if someone at the studio had been given a green light. What was going on behind the scenes?
    • That's a good question! Maybe again performance issues? I wasn't there at the end of production so I couldn't tell, but during my time there the day/night system was really beautiful, the artist working on it was extremely talented and dedicated. Honestly it seems more like a terrible design choice.
  5. Why were NPC-driven vehicles removed from SGW3 in between the beta and the final version? A common complaint about the game is that outside of towns and outposts, the world feels a bit dead. Removing those vehicles made it even deader.
    • We just couldn't get the AI to work with vehicles, despite involving top AI programmers from abroad on the project it always was janky as fuck. We always had massive traffic jams, randomly stuck & colliding exploding vehicles. A good chunk of the game was inspired by FarCry's convoys, and that's what we were supposed to have.
  6. Could you explain the scope of the project in any detail? I noticed that it looks like an entire region was cut from the game at some point? (A city region.) How late in development were Mining Town, Dam, Village built? Suppose we go back in time to 2016. What existed at that point? Did Mining Town exist? Or were you guys forced to crunch to make stitch together SOMETHING relatively late?
    • The game had a MASSIVE scope, the CEO expected big sales and a big team, something the likes of Witcher 3.
    • So during my time there we had, in order and one after the other: one 32km² map, two 16km² maps, four 16km² maps, then two small maps. You have to imagine, I was working there close to a year and none of my work made it to the final game. Almost everything was placed by hand. We restarted everything on 5 or 6 different worlds. We always had some sorts of Dam, Mining Town and village. Everything was rushed toward the end, crunch was semi-permanent for some people. The city was cut early on as we couldn't make it run on consoles and it was a huge undertaking to develop that much content with the small team we had.
  7. Where did the project lose the plot overall? Assuming you were working on the game from the early stages, at what point between 2013 and 2017 did the game begin to lose direction and go kinda pear shaped? Was the CEO responsible for derailing the the project? I've heard negative things about him from other sources.
    • I kind of answered above, but for a timeline it happened somewhere in the end of 2015/early 2016. The CEO was definitely getting his hands directly on any project this company ever had. Everything you heard is true, and it's probably even worse. Go to any Game Dev Conference in Poland and talk with anybody there, they probably worked at some point for CI Games.
  8. Why don't more developers like them actively encourage modding? For example, STALKER was a buggy, buggy game. But GSC went out of their way to encourage mods by releasing the SDK and lots of files. As a result the games were massively cleaned up. The only reason I was able to mod SGW3 is because there were no signature checks on the pak files. But my hands were tied in so many ways because I lacked the source code. They have a history of buggy or half-baked releases. Why has the company always refused to release source code for their titles? With source code access, SGW3 could be transformed into a genuinely polished game -- even a spiritual successor to something like STALKER -- given enough time and effort. Is there some kind of legal complexity there because they license CryEngine? Or is it just stubborness or trying to control their IP or whatever?
    • It's a very complicated topic and I think you're getting there with the CryEngine license. There's also tons of libraries and third party software that couldn't possibly be open sourced or distributed - stuff like Simplygon for generating LODs for example can't be shared freely.
    • Additionally, the way the game engine is distributed on specific dev platforms with specific network paths and restrictions would require a tremendous amount of work to deploy on other, random machines. If the game engine and development pipeline is not thought from the ground up to be moddable, it's close to impossible to adapt it later on.
Hopefully that answers a few questions :)
I've never really seen anyone outside the thread talk about it, but it was a fascinating moment.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The Nintendo hype threads and Filip copypasta threads were the best.

On a side note, I don't get why people have a need to whine about "there's too much X threads on this place." I can see the endless negative Star Wars threads being exhausting (well deserved or not), but people talking about nerd things they enjoy on a nerd forum? Get a grip

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them |OT| Gotta Catch 'Em All
Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT| Ultra Beasts and Where to Find Them

Both came out on the same day.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Can't find the thread cause I don't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but there was a thread where one member of ERA dated another member of ERA and spoke shit about them in this thread about exes. When one of the exes saw it, they destroyed every ounce of dignity that dude had. It was one of the funniest threads I've ever seen on this site, we all kept tagging the dude and everything waiting for a response and he never came back into the thread. It was so fucking golden.

(EDIT) I found it LMAOOO
www.resetera.com

My gf had a dream in which I cheated on her and she is mad at me.

You. Are. An. Ass. It is such typical behaviour of you to write me off as the crazy ex girlfriend due to your reluctance to do the most bare minimum of introspection. But on a goddamn forum we're both on??? I left you because you were an immature toff, and I didn't want to spend the rest of my...
xgBKLMOuRDaTlfbLG7Vtig.png

To this day, Ary F. had the best flame I've ever seen on ERA

LMAO! This thread is insane!! Wow!

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Doctors told me today I have around 8 weeks to live [Update: in remission!]

Just learned this afternoon and still haven't told anyone. They said even if I ever managed to do afford the treatment I only have a 40% of remission and there's no f****** way I can. I'm surprisingly very calm about this, at least the suffering of my parents and myself can come to an end. It's...
Yeah it's this one. This community saved a life. Makes me proud to be part of this community.

Also being fired for putting spicy candy in the microwave thread is a classic.

Oct 29, 2017
Can't find the thread cause I don't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but there was a thread where one member of ERA dated another member of ERA and spoke shit about them in this thread about exes. When one of the exes saw it, they destroyed every ounce of dignity that dude had. It was one of the funniest threads I've ever seen on this site, we all kept tagging the dude and everything waiting for a response and he never came back into the thread. It was so fucking golden.

(EDIT) I found it LMAOOO
www.resetera.com

You. Are. An. Ass. It is such typical behaviour of you to write me off as the crazy ex girlfriend due to your reluctance to do the most bare minimum of introspection. But on a goddamn forum we're both on??? I left you because you were an immature toff, and I didn't want to spend the rest of my...

Burns this bad should be illegal, holy shit.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
A lot of good ones already posted but I enjoyed this one

www.resetera.com

Tetris is/was the pioneer for the Battle Royale genre

Tired of hearing about Fortnite, PUBG, and all the other fantastic Battle Royale games? Well, too bad. In this thread, I will explore the surprisingly aged roots of this genre. And it starts with the classic, Tetris. Before getting upset with me for such a preposterous suggestion, let me first...

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
It has to be either the thread where the poster was complaining about how people in the US are too friendly and that people shouldn't wish for him to have a good day.

Also, the whole Avatar vs Endgame thread was hilarious. RIP Zatt, you were the only one who believed.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
The original "prominent member" thread.

"Dude, did you just admit to a crime?"
www.resetera.com

Um, is it normal for someone to casually admit to pirating stuff?

I was at a work meeting about 50 minutes ago, and during the lead up into it we were all talking about how our Thanksgiving break went. We talked about traveling and activities, and I brought up how I basically spent the entire break playing DQXI on the Switch. Then, one of my co-workers said...

Watching Elfotografoalocado get absolutely destroyed by Ary F. here:

(EDIT) I found it LMAOOO
www.resetera.com

Good one too, lmao

signal

Oct 28, 2017
That extremely corny forum "uprising" and mutiny by people because of the possibility of OT threads being in the main forums with the result being like half the threads on the main etcetera forum now at any given time are OTs anyway.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The Filip Miucin threads where everyone started plagerizing everyone's posts including entirely unrelated OTs and the fucking madness just kept escalating.

www.resetera.com

IGN to scrub Filip Miucin from site almost completely after even more plagiarism surfaces (READ OP)

Reminder: This is not a thread to discuss mental health or Filip Miucin's family. Stick to the topic please. https://www.resetera.com/posts/11513698/ UPDATE: In case you don't know what's going on, the previous thread...
Yeah probably this one.

Oct 31, 2017

(EDIT) I found it LMAOOO
www.resetera.com

I cannot believe I missed this

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It was Talal 's thread fighting against really bad odds.
Bad RNG you might say in gamer™ language. (I can only make this lame joke because I know you're better. You don't even know how that info of cancer getting rekt by you lifted a complete stranger, which would be my shitty self, up.)
It was a great journey, that thread.

But seriously though, I don't even remember if I even replied to it once(since I couldn't do shit to help at the time... :/ ), but I read that thread with that warm fuzzy feeling in my heart, which some might call community.
It was the first time I felt like being a part of this whole thing, despite never really saying much myself.

And I was just following a guy, who, if he were me, would just give up and kick the bucket in time.

Fuck, I might just have learned a lesson in life from that thread. One not that unimportant.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Last edited:

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

(EDIT) I found it LMAOOO
www.resetera.com

Holy hell, this I missed.

Is it possible to erect a shrine in your name @Ary F, I think it should be a flame which is a symbol for the burn you made, holy hell.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
LMAO! This thread is insane!! Wow!
Burns this bad should be illegal, holy shit.
I cannot believe I missed this
Holy hell, this I missed.

Is it possible to erect a shrine in your name @Ary F, I think it should be a flame which is a symbol for the burn you made, holy hell.

you all missed a legendary night