• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fave games to fuck around in?

• Grand Theft Auto series

Votes: 168 38.2%
  • Saints Row series

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • The Sims series

Votes: 27 6.1%
  • The Elder Scrolls series

Votes: 96 21.8%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 22 5.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 109 24.8%

• Total voters

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Red Faction Guerrilla.

Who needs objectives and story when you can just chuck remote mines in buildings and blow them up?

Bert part of the game is destroying buildings, collecting scrap to upgrade your weapons, and using those upgraded weapons to blow up more buildings.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Voted Elder Scrolls, but the reminded me of Shadow of Mordor. I thought the campaign missions were all pretty shit in that, but I've committed a full on genocide in that game wandering around killing endless hordes of orcs.

Mania

Jan 27, 2018
I used to do this all the time on DC Universe Online with the movement options (acrobatics, super speed & flight).

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Just Cause....it's just soooo fun zipping around with the wing suit, attaching jet boosters to things, blowing shit up etc.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic is great for this, set your own tasks.

Go exploring the levels, just trying to reach things.
Collect every ring without losing any
Kill every enemy.
Break every monitor
Collect every emerald
Complete it in the fastest time.

The general game is a loose collection of the above, but you can focus on what you want in given playthrough.

Moreover because the game is a physics playset it's just really enjoyable to mive through.

It's also why so many of the 3D sonics and especially Sonic 4 are bad.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oblivion and Skyrim. I played both games hundreds of hours...and I didn't finish the story of any of those games, lol.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you mean the game I randomly load up just to mess around with even after having already completed it, then DRIVECLUB is probably my go to, since I just love the audiovisual experience and love cars. If ever I want a bit of vehicular excitement and just to kill time, I'll load it up, put my volume high, choose something rawkus with pops, bangs and crackles, and go ham.

Though I'll sometimes also randomly start up Forza Horizon 3/4, Gran Turismo Sport or Assetto Corsa for similar reasons.

If you mean the game I'm not replaying but spent the most time messing around in, I'd probably say one of the Grand Theft Auto titles, since you can literally spend hours doing random shit.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
Have a couple of these on rotation. Newest addition is Rage 2 after being added to pc Gamepass. Don't care at all about the story but the pure combat is fun so just driving around smashing up outposts and bandit dens.

A proper mainstay in this vein though is Sleeping Dogs. Still. It's good times to just cruz around Hong Kong and and get into brawls with that great melee combat system.

Also Fallout 4 and Soulsborne games.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Elder Scrolls and GTA are really obvious examples, but honestly... I feel like Link To The Past's Hyrule is big enough that it's fun to just run around and see stuff, find new caves and areas and whatnot. No other Zelda really captures this... except BOTW I guess lol.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
Skyrim for me. I've put hundreds of hours in, but have never got close to finishing the main story. I do a bit of story work and then head off for hours. Only yesterday I found Bloated Mans Grotto, it's hardly hidden, but I've never entered it before and I love that. Witcher3 is another game I do this in, although I have completed far more of the main story; never finished it though.

For those saying Death Stranding, a game I don't have yet, but am looking forward to picking up, what is there to find and do by leaving the task and exploring? Is there much to discover apart for looking at the landscape?

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Just Cause. Simply traversing the islands is a huge amount of fun. Nick a jet from a train and see where things go from there.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Red Dead Redemption 2 and not in the way people mean when they say "fuck around". I don't go around causing havoc anything. I usually spend my time casually riding around the map exploring, hunting, fishing. I find it super relaxing.

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Recently it has been A Hat in Time for me, just jumping around and screwing with the mafia. I also like roaming around in Witcher 3 and DA: Inquisition, a nice break from grinding online in any fighting game.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
The Elder Scrolls and Minecraft.

The stuff you can do instead of the main story kinda makes the main objective like a side quest you complete when you got nothing better to do.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Obviously that's breath of the wild and that's also why I don't find a lot of value in that game. I don't like wasting my time on fluff in games. I need an objective and a goal and a good story that carries the gameplay, but the gameplay also has to be good.

It's just really rare I play games to "play". Sonic Colors and Mario 64 do that well for me because it's structured into stages so you know you'll be spending no more than 2-10 minutes per thing to do and the game ends the loop for you and you don't feel like there's always the "next thing and the next thing" because that exhausts me more than it entertains me.

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid V is one I come back to every now and then. Bloody Palace in DMC series. Any fighting game I'll just play a few matches or something.

Oct 26, 2017
Obviously that's breath of the wild and that's also why I don't find a lot of value in that game. I don't like wasting my time on fluff in games. I need an objective and a goal and a good story that carries the gameplay, but the gameplay also has to be good.

It's just really rare I play games to "play". Sonic Colors and Mario 64 do that well for me because it's structured into stages so you know you'll be spending no more than 2-10 minutes per thing to do and the game ends the loop for you and you don't feel like there's always the "next thing and the next thing" because that exhausts me more than it entertains me.
Well the game does have an objective(s) and a goal and good gameplay :P

Elder Scrolls and GTA are really obvious examples, but honestly... I feel like Link To The Past's Hyrule is big enough that it's fun to just run around and see stuff, find new caves and areas and whatnot. No other Zelda really captures this... except BOTW I guess lol.
There's Majora's Mask, which is still the best game for exploration that's balanced with a great main quest line I've seen in a game

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
The Crew 2 is the perfect racing game for this. The title of this thread is the main reason I bought it.

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Fallout, all the way. My typical New Vegas loop was go out exploring, loot weapons, repair them, sell them, go back out and loot more. I could do that for hours and never get bored.

Apr 3, 2018
For me, it's Bethesda games of yesteryear.

Currently replaying FO3 and just exploring the Wasteland, checking out random buildings, and exploring the game at my own pace feels very refreshing for me.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Well the game does have an objective(s) and a goal and good gameplay :P
Yes, you need to beat ganon and fulfilling that is the definition of disappointment. I just finished Death Stranding today. I'm not gonna pretend that the gameplay of that is overall better than BoTW but in terms of the overall package you get, fulfilling the main goal and getting to the end of the story is like 100 times more satisfying than in BoTW.

The divine beasts are a letdown and the finale with ganon is completely underdelivered. It's literally all the fluff you can do that makes BoTW good for what it is. Not the plot or the main quest at all, and I don't consider side-content when I say "the objective". Both Death Stranding and BoTW and other Open Worlds have lots of side-quests with sub-objectives, I just don't talk about those right here. I'm talking about the narrative/RP reason to move forward in the game, not the impulse we have as players to go "Hey what can I do, I wonder!" which is fine.