• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite Fallout?

• Fallout 1

Votes: 21 5.7%
  • Fallout 2

Votes: 63 17.2%
  • Fallout 3

Votes: 89 24.3%
  • Fallout: New Vegas

Votes: 153 41.8%
  • Fallout 4

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • Fallout 76

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It's a tough fight between 2 and New Vegas but I gotta go with 2.

If we're talking modded then New Vegas.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fallout New Vegas. Fallout 2 was always my favorite, and New Vegas was basically bringing that game to life with modern visuals and design. It feels like the direct sequel that the original games deserved. After that, it's Fallout 2 obviously, as I think it's just the first game but better. Then it's the first Fallout after that. I consider Bethesda's Fallout games the weakest of the franchise, but I consider Fallout 4 a step up from Fallout 3 in terms of storytelling and quest design, though Fallout 4 doesn't exactly do both very well either.

It's Far Harbor that proves that Bethesda has some understanding of how a Fallout game should be made. A brilliant experience I hope they've learned from for their future Fallout installments.

NV > 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My favourite is still Fallout 1. I adored it when it came out, and I still love playing through it. I really enjoy its smaller world and design, and the pacing that provides. I think Fallout 2 is the best Fallout game though, with New Vegas coming in behind it.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Maybe would have said Wasteland 1 but it wasn't an option. Playing that n Commodore 64 back when I was a little shit was amazing.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
New Vegas, but I need to give fallout 1/2 more of a shot. I found it difficult to learn how to do anything in 1 and gave up rather quickly.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'd probably pick New Vegas if it wasn't such a completely broken mess on 360 when I played it. As such, it's probably 3 as I was able to actually complete the game, unlike New Vegas which just bugged out to the point where the game became completely unplayable.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
New Vegas is so hard to go back to, that era of 3D for large open world games just looks so muddy to me and it's hard to go back.

Most of the time I don't care about the story and just want to do silly things in the wasteland, so 4 is fine for me.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Fallout 3. It was the first western action RPG I ever played. The levelling up and delegating points and the open exploration really grabbed me for the first time there. NV and 4 have done certain things better, but 3 is kind of the sweet spot. I couldn't be bothered to try to learn the menus and ui in FO1 and bounced from it pretty quick when I tried it a couple years ago. Haven't played 2 or 76.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Fallout 2 -> Fallout -> New Vegas -> Tactics -> Fallout 3/Fallout 4

It's difficult to chose between the more focused Fallout and the expansive sequel. In the end I have more memories connected to Fallout 2.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
3, though probably for freshness more than any timeless quality. By the time New Vegas came out, I had already played 3 to death, and so it's derivation was all the more evident, and I didn't enjoy exploring patrolling the mojave as much. 4 was a drunken waltz sideways. I've still yet to complete the main story or really any of the major faction quest lines, but I've sunk a good deal of time into it nonetheless.

Haven't played 2 or enough of 1 to give solid opinions. They don't scratch the same itch and I would be hard pressed to compare them qualitatively to 3 and beyond.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
4>3 It was the same shit but more. I own NV and plan to play it soon. I likely will not play 1, 2, and 76.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
New Vegas was my first, and I guess maybe that's why it's my favorite. Not sure.

4 is the only one I platinumed/1000'd.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Fallout 2, followed by Fallout 1. Third place is a tie with 3 and new vegas (they both excelled where the other lacked). Then Fallout 4, and obviously 76 bringing up the rear.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Unpopular opinion, but for me personally it is #4... with graphic mods, the dlc, and survival mode difficulty I just found it immensely enjoyable.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Fallout New Vegas by a country mile.

I've only had limited play time with Fallout 1 & 2, although they both seemed awesome.

From what I've actually played start to finish:

Fallout New Vegas > Fallout 4 > Fallout 3

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
New Vegas is so hard to go back to, that era of 3D for large open world games just looks so muddy to me and it's hard to go back.

Most of the time I don't care about the story and just want to do silly things in the wasteland, so 4 is fine for me.
I recently played the PS3 version start to end. It's crusty as fuck, but the story and world elements still shine through brighter than ever. I did nearly every mission available to me. They all felt worth doing.

H3xum

Oct 30, 2017
Jeez, halfway through the second page and no one has said
Outer Worlds
yet? Disappointing

But, New Vegas. Everything new vegas.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Fallout 1 is one of my favorite games of all time.

I haven't played all of them but I doubt anything comes close for me.

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1 = Nice start to the franchise, but it's way too short with bugged quests and useless skills galore. The title screen introduction is a great example of show don't tell in how it establishes the setting and backstory.

2 = 1 but better! More depth to quests and ending slides, more weapons(Bozar! Machine gun sniper rifle!), more areas, companions that aren't useless in the lategame, the protagonist is more expressive in conversations, only one major quest IIRC is bugged where you can't get the good ending!

Never played tactics.

3 = Oblivion with guns, as the saying goes. A less obnoxious level scaling system, horrendous writing, a goddamned level cap, and worst of all, no ending slides. Liked the Bethesda exploration though, and the quests actually tend to have multiple ways you can approach them in Fallout fashion.

NV = This masterpiece, despite being rushed and partially complete, is the zenith of WRPGs. It takes the design philosophy of 1 and 2 and beautifully translates it to 3D. The wonderful myriad labyrinth of choices, outcomes, factions, companion sidequests, nearly every side quest in the game affecting the ending, and ending slide permutations means you will probably get a different ending every time you play. Add fantastic writing and world building and we have a masterpiece that could have been even better if Obsidian had more time to work! Even the level cap is not really a problem if you start with the right trait since I just barely hit it after completing the final DLC!

4 = I heard that, partway through development, half the team got reassigned to work on 76, and it shows. Half baked ideas like the combat zone, the robot race, and the raider gangs' interactions everywhere you go! I did, however, adore the settlement building aspect despite being rather shallow, since it gives a feeling of progress as opposed to "watch the numbers go up". The exploration energizes rather well with the settlement building aspect since you now want every single scrap of stuff Bethesda loves to fill there worlds with. Also Nick Valentine is one of the best companions in the entire series. And no level cap! Hooray! And still no ending slides! Boo! Far Harbor is noticeably better written then the rest of the game + DLC.

76 = One of the scariest games ever made, and it's not even a horror game! This game attacks you, the player, on a meta level. Unlike Eternal Darkness and the like, this one shows no restraint whatsoever. What will happen next? Will you receive a cheap plastic bag instead of the canvas they showed to the media? Maybe the 50 GB beta will refuse to uninstall unless you buy it? Perhaps customer support tickets containing your personal information will be publicly accessible due to horrendous web code! I bet hackers will find ways to steal your inventory including microtransaction-exclusive items! Maybe the special edition helmet will start molding! Class action lawsuits got filled got filed in response to no refunds!

The worst part is that it never ends and could happen at any time! You are never safe!

That said, literally every single game in the series requires an unofficial patch for the best experience.

NV>2>1>=4>3>76

banter

Jan 12, 2018
New Vegas is getting way too much representation for what it is. I'm going to do the pig-headed male thing and analogize this to a woman (please don't take these too personally, it's for a matter of understanding through humor, not objectification of women (hell, you can substitute it for men really, i just happen to be a straight male) or people or anything of the sort). Also, these are all based on

-New Vegas and 3 both have a good personality (story). New Vegas has a better sense of humor, but 3 has more heart.

-3 is significantly more attractive (DC's wasteland is amazing), in fact, new vegas is borderline ugly (bland, boring, ugly desert world).... not entirely though, she's/he's got a really nice butt (the strip and other onesie twosie places), but that's about it.

-New Vegas is more fun in bed (gameplay variety and weapon types and ammos), but not by a huge margin (that stuff only goes so far from the actual gameplay, which is identical between the two).

-New Vegas invites more people into bed than 3 does (this is about companions and is considered good or bad based on whether you like that sort of thing or not).

-New Vegas has 4 very different ways of finishing you off at the end of the night whereas 3 has 3 that are similar while sometimes adding bits of flare to them. (Talking about the endings here in case it wasn't obvious)

-New Vegas leaves without saying goodbye and doesn't call back, you have to call her/him. But when you do get ahold of her/him it's a wild ride. (endings are rather abrupt and dont button up all of the loose ends, DLC were fantastic) Then there's 3 who always says goodbye and always comes/calls back when you call her/him because she/he loves you. (Ending properly ties everything up and has some emotional weight to it. Also the DLC compliments it well.)

Having said that, 1 and 2 are better than both. Its lack of representation in the poll is due to people having not played it or not liking the play style of the game. I'm not sure of an adequate analogy... GOT IT! Fallout 1 and 2 are into BDSM and I guess not everyone is into that sort of thing.

Jeez, halfway through the second page and no one has said Outer Worlds yet? Disappointing
Because we all played it by now and realized it isn't much like Fallout at all. People just wanted it to be since the series is on a downward trend and a few of the previous fallout dev people were on the dev team.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
It's probably Fallout 2, but I enjoyed my time with nearly all of them. Really, though, my answer is probably Fallout Tactics. If it weren't for a demo of Tactics, which gave me a taste of the world and showed what the combat resembled, I probably would never have bothered with any of the other games until Fallout 3.