• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, I am really shocked people are agreeing with this. Let alone a mod. This is an absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing response. It does have to do with the spoilers and the storytelling, but I can't say much more without getting into specifics.

Ya'll should be ashamed.

Yes, the people shrieking about SJWs and trans people and sending death threats to anyone who reviews the game positively are doing it because of storytelling criticisms. What's your /r/thelastofus2 username?

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Eh I'm gonna play and finish the game myself and then form an opinion.

I loved the first game and based on that alone I'm getting the second one, that's it.

Not letting anyone who hasn't played the game or has some agenda decide for me.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. This thread is pointless as a non-spoiler thread. We either need to be able to have this discussion or lets not.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Whoa, I am really shocked people are agreeing with this. Let alone a mod. This is an absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing response. It does have to do with the spoilers and the storytelling, but I can't say much more without getting into specifics.

Ya'll should be ashamed.

I should be ashamed...why exactly?

Yes. This thread is pointless as a non-spoiler thread. We either need to be able to have this discussion or lets not.

Then have the discussion, but don't belittle people's concerns about representation and how it has "nothing to do with why the game sucks". You're the one who came in here shrieking about how embarrassing this thread was.

People in the LGBT community have been faced with actual harassment by the alt-right because the game is "too pandering to the gays and women". That's a fact.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
It would be nice if people waited until they finish the game instead of just reading spoilers and leaks to form their opinions about the game.

But alas, that seems like too big a request.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
What part of my post did you have trouble understanding
Insinuating I'm some sort of troll poster from another board? Implying that my qualms with what I know about the narrative have anything to do with support of the Alt-Right and similar pathos?

Get out of here dude! What the heck is your problem?

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People in the LGBT community have been faced with actual harassment by the alt-right because the game is "too pandering to the gays and women". That's a fact.
Hi, person in the LGBT community here

Acting like all of the backlash to this game comes from bigots when it horribly treats queer characters, including having them suffer because of them being queer, isn't helping either.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Im just not excited about the game. Has nothing to do with the story or content, I just did not find the first game particularly fun to play, and I see nothing to make me think this will be fun to play. Naughty Dog games in general are very pretty, exceptionally forgettable and at best 'decent' games to my preferences.

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm like a prophet or something. When a game is universally loved and you decide to downplay it by focusing one to three ok reviews, then it's not a good times. Wait until you see the sales. I'm expecting Sony bought the games as an excuse......

You're right champ, everyone expressing any critique of this game is secretly just trying to tarnish your beloved brand

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
I should be ashamed...why exactly?

Then have the discussion, but don't belittle people's concerns about representation and how it has "nothing to do with why the game sucks". You're the one who came in here shrieking about how embarrassing this thread was.

Wait what? I came in here belittling concerns about representation? Explain that to me. I'll be waiting

for the record: this is the post i was replying to
The alt-right has turned the game into the next culture war battlefield over a series of out-of-context spoiler videos and fake rumors about various characters' sexualities and gender identities.

Is it conceivable to you that there could be any other criticism to be had about this game? Be honest.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Hi, person in the LGBT community here

Acting like all of the backlash to this game comes from bigots when it horribly treats queer characters, including having them suffer because of them being queer, isn't helping either.

Hi, I'm LGBT too and I completely understand that. It is definitely a combination of both and I did not mean to insinuate otherwise.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The OP wasn't asking about general criticism, they were asking about the extreme negativity and anger seen in the form of mass trailer dislikes, death threats, etc. and were asking where that came from.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
Make this thread a SPOILER zone. Or stop throwing shade at innocent posters. This is the antithesis of nuanced criticism and discussion.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Yeah this fucking sucks. Apparently there's more context to this that isn't in the video that's linked there, but regardless I don't think there's any context that could make up for it.

Also feels like this is going to be praised as "trans representation" by cis people...

So gross, why in the world would I play this as a Gaming escape, it would just upset me.

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
You're right champ, everyone expressing any critique of this game is secretly just trying to tarnish your beloved brand
I have never played the game, or the first one. Also, I went after the fact she mention only small no name companies were giving the game high score which was beyond wrong. None of you can critic something you haven't played anyway.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The OP wasn't asking about general criticism, they were asking about the extreme negativity and anger seen in the form of mass trailer dislikes, death threats, etc. and were asking where that came from.
OP's post wasn't asking about where death threats and the like came from, they only asked about where the negativity comes from. They actually specifically asked if it's more than just the usual hate-filled gamers, which it definitely is.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Ya'll should be ashamed.

Maybe some people know what happens in the game and don't have a problem with the story?

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe some people know what happens in the game and don't have a problem with the story?
Oh I am sure there are many who have! I don't understand the relevance of this comment.

OP's post wasn't asking about where death threats and the like came from, they only asked about where the negativity comes from. They actually specifically asked if it's more than just the usual hate-filled gamers, which it definitely is.
I agree, which is what led me to my initial comment. I couldn't believe a site admin condoned that type of presumptive accusation.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
Because nothing on the story justifies the negavity around this game (see recent Alanah Pearce thread)

People hated Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem, but it never happened.
Have you followed the industry very long? Do you remember people on popular forums posting pictures of their *** on a photo Jades Raymond's face? There is nothing about the intensity of the trolling around this title that hasn't been repeated ad infinitum for decades.

And to assume any criticism of the title comes from a place if dis-ingeniousness (like BSD) is very telling of their naivite.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A lot of negativity also came from the story without context and the false info on 4 Chan and Reddit as well.

We only got to know the complete 2 days back but the entire negativity has been on half filled info

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have never played the game, or the first one. Also, I went after the fact she mention only small no name companies were giving the game high score which was beyond wrong. None of you can critic something you haven't played anyway.
She cited Polygon, Kotaku and Waypoint. You listed fucking "impulsegamer" and "thesixthaxis" when trying to dismiss her. Just move on dide, anyone can click through your post history to see why you're so eager to defend this videogames review scores

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Have you followed the industry very long? Do you remember people on popular forums posting pictures of their *** on a photo Jades Raymond's face? There is nothing about the intensity of the trolling around this title that hasn't been repeated ad infinitum for decades.

And to assume any criticism of the title comes from a place if dis-ingeniousness (like BSD) is very telling of their naivite.

Ok, but at this point we should have surpassed this kind of thing.

I know the whole story of the game, I loved what they did. People are acting like "if you know the story, you would KNOW that it's terrible" and that's not true at all, it's your opinion.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She cited Polygon, Kotaku and Waypoint. You listed fucking "impulsegamer" and "thesixthaxis" when trying to dismiss her. Just move on dide, anyone can click through your post history to see why you're so eager to defend this videogames review scores

One listing negative review and one listing positive review

So?

You're being way aggressive

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, but at this point we should have surpassed this kind of thing.

I know the whole story of the game, I loved what they did. People are acting like "if you know the story, you would KNOW that it's terrible" and that's not true at all, it's your opinion.
Oh I dont in anyway mean to say "if you knew, you would hate it" just merely the insinuation that you're a troll for having some issues with it, is what I am trying to refute.

I also fully agree on the first statement.. but we are clearly not past this kind of thing. I mean i was asked what my account was on some type of troll reddit forum for calling this out.

In a half hour we'll all be playing it, and it will be chill.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
One listing negative review and one listing positive review

So?

You're being way aggressive

Also ignoring the 10s from IGN, Eurogamer, Washington Post, Game Informer...

Sure, only small sites liked it.

Oh I dont in anyway mean to say "if you knew, you would hate it" just merely the insinuation that you're a troll for having some issues with it, is what I am trying to refute.

I also fully agree on the first statement.. but we are clearly not past this kind of thing. I mean i was asked what my account was on some type of troll reddit forum for calling this out.

In a half hour we'll all be playing it, and it will be chill.

So we agree lol

I truly hope the game is worth all this controversy.

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
,Edge, IGN, Eurogamer, Gamesradar, Thesixthaxis, Trustereview, gameinformer, vg247, guardian, telegraph, impulsegamer, gamerant, powerunlimited, digitaltrends..

And 70 plus more.

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Wait what? I came in here belittling concerns about representation? Explain that to me. I'll be waiting

for the record: this is the post i was replying to

Is it conceivable to you that there could be any other criticism to be had about this game? Be honest.

I mean, you came into this thread thinking that the only reason the game was getting negative publicity was because of story, but it is an absolute fact that the alt-right have been shitting on this game for months because it "panders to SJWs and the gays".

Could it be a combination of both? Sure. But to suggest that my agreement or the post in question was "embarassing and inappropriate" is downright offensive and a dismissal of the real harm that has been done by such hate groups.

Even if I'm an admin, I'm allowed to have my own opinions. Please do not suggest otherwise.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you came into this thread thinking that the only reason the game was getting negative publicity was because of story, but it is an absolute fact that the alt-right have been shitting on this game for months because it "panders to SJWs and the gays".

Could it be a combination of both? Sure. But to suggest that my agreement or the post in question was "embarassing and inappropriate" is downright offensive and a dismissal of the real harm that has been done by such hate groups.

Even if I'm an admin, I'm allowed to have my own opinions. Please do not suggest otherwise.
Look I don't want to drag this out. We're good. I would recommend to both you and BSD that you give people the benefit of the doubt. Not everyone is a troll. The response I replied to made no mention of any other reasons one could have a problem with this game. And.. even this post right here that I'm replying to insinuates* you do believe, deep down, that most people against this game have alterior, bigoted motives.

Could it be a combination of both? Sure.

Could it be a little of both? Well, sure, I guess. Wink Wink.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
You know what's okay?

Not wanting to play the game at a time the world is in an incredibly fucked up state.
Not wanting to play the game as a queer person who is concerned about some things they've heard about how the game treats queer characters.
Not wanting to play the game as any person who is concerned with how overly violent it is.

All the people pushing people back on this subject do need to lay off. There is a significant amount of toxicity generated by the typical alt right shitheads who are triggered by a game featuring a queer main character. There is also quite a bit of ambivalence from sincere people that mention things similar to the above statements. It's pretty easy to distinguish the two. I don't think it's cool to belittle their opinions, EVEN IF THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME YET. Have some empathy here and imagine that perhaps some people don't want to see more fucked up shit. Perhaps they've gone through similar shit and they have trauma associated, perhaps they know people who have. We're all just text on a screen here but we need to stop assuming everyone is out to get each other.

It's okay, the game is going to be successful I'm sure. Letting people air out their reasons for how they feel the way they do in a comfortable environment is important. I just don't see that happening for some people who are speaking up.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a wild amount of backlash online over, honestly, I have no idea what. I'm personally just in the camp that I didn't really want a sequel to the first game and apparently there's just a sense of brutalism in this game that I don't want in my life right now.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I don't care about the leaked specific plot details, am part of the LGBT crowd and everything I've heard about the game disgusts me. It feels like the game is just intended to be as miserable as possible and some of the forced interactions in the game feel less like commentary on violence being problematic and more like Naughty Dog is just being obnoxiously heavy handed with their point. Like instead of building up towards anything meaningful Naughty Dog just wants to bludgeon you over the head for 10+ hours with the same concept until you become numb to it.

I get having unhappy games, I played the first Last of Us. That game sure as hell wasn't happy but it had moments that leveraged that unhappiness to shine and become meaningful. I didn't agree with the characters decisions at the end of the game, but I understood why things happened and felt the impact because the journey built up to it. The giraffe scene worked so well because of how awful the rest of the world was.

I legitimately have no idea what kind of Earth shattering gotcha the end of a game would need to justify the path TLoU2 has taken but I can guarantee it doesn't exist. I wouldn't even want to watch a 90 minute movie of "everything is only terrible and violence is bad watch me kill some dogs" let alone suffer through an entire game about it.

The only way I could see this kind of game being redeemed was if everything being terrible was strictly avoidable through game play decisions, placing the blame for sequences on the players shoulders and not Naughty Dogs for forcing you through some bullshit unsettling QTEs.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of it is alt right hate cuz the women dont look like women (which is stupid) but honest to god with some of the story spoilers ive seen in how it treats minorities... 😬

Holy Diver

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I was gonna buy this game a while later after I had finished some games. But some of the negativity around this game has made me more interested in it, so now I'm gonna play it to see what's up lol.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
You know what's okay?

Not wanting to play the game at a time the world is in an incredibly fucked up state.
Not wanting to play the game as a queer person who is concerned about some things they've heard about how the game treats queer characters.
Not wanting to play the game as any person who is concerned with how overly violent it is.

All the people pushing people back on this subject do need to lay off. There is a significant amount of toxicity generated by the typical alt right shitheads who are triggered by a game featuring a queer main character. There is also quite a bit of ambivalence from sincere people that mention things similar to the above statements. It's pretty easy to distinguish the two. I don't think it's cool to belittle their opinions, EVEN IF THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME YET. Have some empathy here and imagine that perhaps some people don't want to see more fucked up shit. Perhaps they've gone through similar shit and they have trauma associated, perhaps they know people who have. We're all just text on a screen here but we need to stop assuming everyone is out to get each other.

It's okay, the game is going to be successful I'm sure. Letting people air out their reasons for how they feel the way they do in a comfortable environment is important. I just don't see that happening for some people who are speaking up.

But no one is saying people MUST play the game. People can just not be interested as well, with no reason.

The problem is people that hate the fact that this game exists.

Oct 27, 2017
Have you followed the industry very long? Do you remember people on popular forums posting pictures of their *** on a photo Jades Raymond's face? There is nothing about the intensity of the trolling around this title that hasn't been repeated ad infinitum for decades

I don't know if there is an actual metric to measure that on, but that seems like nonsense.

Again, practically nobody is conflating valid critique with alt right shithead stuff. That's not what is happening or is largely being discussed. But to ignore the fact that the game in question has been the target of a very shitty campaign is just weird. And to come in to a thread and say that everybody who calls that out should be embarrassed is even weirder.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Weeks): Concern Trolling and Condescending Hostility Over Multiple Posts; Prior Ban for Inflammatory Accusations
I don't know if there is an actual metric to measure that on, but that seems like nonsense.

Again, practically nobody is conflating valid critique with alt right shithead stuff. That's not what is happening or is largely being discussed. But to ignore the fact that the game in question has been the target of a very shitty campaign is just weird. And to come in to a thread and say that everybody who calls that out should be embarrassed is even weirder.
Hey dr Sanchez, I'm trying to kinda cool this off. But you seem to imply toxicity hasn't been a problem for decades? You seem to question the past in an attempt to give more meaning to the present discussion. That's a really bad look, and shows me that you have a lot of history to learn about the past of online discourse.
Please dm me if you'd like further discussion.

May 17, 2019
oh yeah the sony template

eg5qJ7V.jpg
Thank you for proving my point. That's one normie ass list of western focused videogames. Normie genre choices and normie art directions. There's not a single game on this list that is appealing to hardcore fans of Japanese games.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well, all the absurd stuff surrounding this game has finally got me, cause I definitely wasn't planning on playing TLoU2 till it was bargain bin pricing but I now really wanna see what all the discourse about this game entails and what specifically has all the incels so mad. So I picked up a copy this morning and I'm rushing through TLoU1 and Left Behind to refresh my memory and give it a second approach, trying to be less cynical this time round.

Edit: I removed the phrasing that the controversy marketing is what sold me on the game. While I think some of that may have been intended with the early hyper-violence trailers and stuff, obviously this all goes way beyond that.

Last edited:

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
Treating criticism for the game as "just the work of alt right douchebags" serves to benefit no one. There is undoubtedly a faction of alt right people who have decided to make this a game they're going to use to highlight their nonsensical values with for obvious reason...

But they also aren't the only ones criticizing the title and dismissing criticism as such drowns out legitimate complaints and concerns people have with The Last of Us Part II. The excessive violence, tone of the game, and how it compares to the original title have all been brought up by different review outlets as issues with the game, and people have been criticizing the game's approach to violence for years since we saw the first trailers. Generally speaking, according to reviewers and leaks, the "cycle of violence" is a core theme of this game, and especially in this moment, that's not necessarily what people are looking for and in fact we have tons of people very actively fighting against continued cycles of human violence in the form of protest against police brutality and for causes such as Black Lives Matter. Obviously, the game was never going to be able to predict a cultural moment like that, but a game that centers so heavily on violence as one of its core building blocks is also just what some people are not looking for right now as well.

Those concerns are echoed in many reviews, e.g. from Polygon, Arstechnica... which one might see as "lukewarm" given the super high praise the first game garnered.

But true enough this tends to be lost in the general maelstrom in which the game is instrumented to support various beliefs and agendas.
Discussing the actual game since even harder than usual for high-profile console exclusives.

May 17, 2019
Astro Bot is from a Japanese dev in a genre mainly popularized by Japan...
Ok so you think that making a Pixar mascot platformer is totally out there and is Sony taking some huge risk? Don't make me laugh. Come back when they have their Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Or how about a Gravity Rush 3 or Freedom Wars 2?

Also get out here with this "normie" rhetoric shit.
youtu.be

No, I Don't Think I Will

No, I Don't Think I Will

Why would I when it perfectly describes what I mean?

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I exist mostly in leftist circles with lots of lgbt people on the internet, and we dislike a lot of the bad tropes toward lgbt people on display. However pretty much all of the issues are spoilery so I can't go into more detail. While there are of course attacks from idiot right wing chuds who see a lesbian couple and go insane, i think there are also valid complaints from marginalized people too. It certainly reads like fiction about gay/trans people written by straight cis people.

Overall I dont really have an issue with the game though, the content has really turned me off from giving it a go however.