• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Child's Play gave me nightmares for many years as a child. Nothing has really affected me on that same level as an adult.

Zareth

Oct 25, 2017
As a kid The Thing and Event Horizon got me pretty good, as an adult not much phases me at this point. However, IT and Ju-On (only the Japanese very) are both pretty good imo. I didn't mind The Conjuring 2 and Insidious too, they were both pretty good, but rely mainly on jump scares.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
The Exorcist was the worst as a kid, Salem's Lot too (if anyone is old enough to remember that)
OddballHomelyCrownofthornsstarfish-size_restricted.gif
tumblr_nka9rzkZle1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

As an adult, i'd say Blair Witch Project and the first Paranormal Activity, both made me have sleep paralysis for weeks afterwards, also had to sleep with the lights on

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
I couldn't explain it after watching it a second time with other people, but something about the time and setting and the found footage style of [Rec] really got me.

First and only time I wanted a movie to be over because it was too much.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I couldn't explain it after watching it a second time with other people, but something about the time and setting and the found footage style of [Rec] really got me.

First and only time I wanted a movie to be over because it was too much.
Yes! It's a movie that just keeps ramping up until it drops you into that ending sequence which is absolutely nightmare inducing.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Scared the living shit out of me when I first saw it when I was younger. The fact that it's driven by the atmosphere and music rather than gore just made it that much scarier. None of the sequels ever came close to topping it and it's by far my favorite horror movie.

latest

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
The Shining.

That movie freaks me the fuck out til this day. It's so unnerving and so fucking creepy that even thinking about it freaks me out. I legit yelped "oh HELL no" in Ready Player One during that entire Shining sequence.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Probably The Ring, but that was back before I was desensitized to horror movies.

More recently, the Suspiria remake did a number on me — strictly by the intense presentation of the body horror, which I've never been a big fan of. I rewatched that movie a couple times because the cinematography and performances are great, and now I can properly enjoy it without getting too put off by the intense bits.

I don't like jump scares or graphic gore in horror movies. They're widely abused to startle and gross out the audience. It's lazy filmmaking for hacks.

Scare me with disturbing ideas and a creepy atmosphere. Earn those jump scares, and don't pointlessly indulge in graphic mutilation.

Last edited:

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I fell for the hype around Blair Witch thinking it was real footage. That messed me up for a few days until I learned it was just a movie trying to be real. I had a hard time sleeping that night, replaying that final scene in my head.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
as a child the exorcist and the amityville horror scared the hell out of me. As an adult the babadook scared me from the sound design alone.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Scared the living shit out of me when I first saw it when I was younger. The fact that it's driven by the atmosphere and music rather than gore just made it that much scarier. None of the sequels ever came close to topping it and it's by far my favorite horror movie.

latest

I can't unsee the face on the hand made by the knuckles

Oct 27, 2017
I have a friend who was a horror critic and got the dvds for paranormal activity before it got bought for theaters. It felt very very real when it was spread through dvds. Freaked me the fuck out. First time I had nightmares was probably when I saw the ring in middle school though

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Saw this movie in a nearly empty theater, shit was scary as fuck to me with my claustrophobia. Part 2 is pretty bad though...
18656145.jpg

This was my first Japanese horror Movie and the stair and bed scene will haunt me forever...
Juonthegrudgeposter.jpg

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Hellraiser and Audition both got me really good when I first saw them, Audition's more of a lingering fear and unease than anything though

Oct 25, 2017
oh shit i thought you said "Scariest moment" and was gonna recount a couple kids chasing me with a knife when i was little lol

uh, i guess Room gave me really bad anxiety recently!

RudiJ

Oct 28, 2017
Not really even a horror movie but It Comes At Night still fucks me up. The fear of the unknown fully committed to.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
As a kid growing up in the 70's and 80's, I watched quite a few horror movies and some of them scared the shit out of me, but the ones that REALLY scared me to death and made me not want to turn the lights off are:

Phantasm
The Exorcist
Halloween
Friday the 13th Part II and III
The Boogeyman
Terror Train
and probably the one that freaked me out the most....The Fog

No horror movie from this generation comes close to those classics IMO.

The only horror films made in the last 20 years that really got to me were The Conjuring 1 and 2, Sinister, and Paranormal Activity. Keep in mind there's a difference between a good horror film, and a horror film that's truly scary and frightening. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Child's Play gave me nightmares for many years as a child. Nothing has really affected me on that same level as an adult.
There's a scene where you are seeing from Chucky's POV when he's like under the couch and I think he like knifes someone's leg (kind of like what happens in Pet Sematery), and that gave me a lot of nightmares. I did have a Chucky doll when I was a kid though haha, I think I wanted to overcome my fear.

Also another shoutout for Lake Mungo, don't read anything about it, just watch it.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In my teens I walked into an indie cinema to watch Blair Witch Project before anybody was really talking about it. It absolutely terrified me. Even just the tiniest illusion that something like that could be real can shake you up.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
The Thing because watching that shit as a kid really isn't healthy. Imagine being young and impressionable, seeing that movie and eat some spaghetti afterwards. Makes no sense now but back then, damn...

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
The Thing (1982) absolutely fucked me up as a kid.

I also recently saw Midsommar, and while not really "scary" per se, it was one of the most emotionally disturbing, tension-filled films I've ever seen.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I don't actually think any movie is really scary.

Silent Hill has the best atmosphere tho.

It's probably The Descent, and I haven't even seen it, because I have a fear of small-tiny places you have to crawl through with no visible end... Just thinking about that shit is making me physically uncomfortable.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
I've been watching horror movies since I was a kid, I was introduced by my Mom and I loved them. I would watch them all and never got scared because I think I realized it was all make believe.

The first movie that truly scared me was Final Destination. I had survived two potentially fatal incidents as a kid and the concept of death stalking you freaked me out to no end. It took me months to get over it.