• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
No matter how much online you play, if you try to play irl you're not gonna go far. You probably won't even be able to be top 1 million just playing online tbh.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Having grown up playing the likes of Quake 3, Tribes, and CS 1.6 I've gotten used to not being the absolute best player that's ever lived

You can have fun without a gamified progression system, OP

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having grown up playing the likes of Quake 3, Tribes, and CS 1.6 I've gotten used to not being the absolute best player that's ever lived

You can have fun without a gamified progression system, OP
To a certain point, but if your average for years or really good and just barely out of reach of the top for years there's a point where i get burned out and think I'm tired of just being ranked with other average players I want to progress, then you keep trying to progress and don't make much progress and realize you will never be able to progress to that level

So if I give up progressing and just play for fun I can get that from a single player game in a non competitive setting

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
To a certain point, but if your average for years or really good and just barely out of reach of the top for years there's a point where i get burned out and think I'm tired of just being ranked with other average players I want to progress, then you keep trying to progress and don't make much progress and realize you will never be able to progress to that level

Well it sounds like you should maybe take a break from ranked MP

There's really no reason to stress over this unless you're a professional esports player

Jun 1, 2019
I do like to play multiplayer games for the competitive aspect of it all, but first and foremost the game I'm playing has to be fun lol, and I'm sure having fun is the primary reason most people play online. Also when I play competitively I'm aiming to the be the best version of myself rather than aiming to be in the top %1 of all players; it's a small distinction but I feel like it keeps me out of a toxic mindset when I play.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do like to play multiplayer games for the competitive aspect of it all, but first and foremost the game I'm playing has to be fun lol, and I'm sure having fun is the primary reason most people play online. Also when I play competitively I'm aiming to the be the best version of myself rather than aiming to be in the top %1 of all players; it's a small distinction but I feel like it keeps me out of a toxic mindset when I play.
Like I said before if the only reason I played is for fun I can get that from single player stuff

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
What's the difference if you can't beat the top players online?
Difference is you being better at the game and enjoying it more because of that. Well, not you because it looks like you only get pleasure by being the absolute best or some weird stuff like that, but it's how it is for a lot of people.

Oct 17, 2018
Kinda agree with you. I only play multiplayer games to get better and if I don't get into at least the top 0.5% I feel like there was no point.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said before if the only reason I played is for fun I can get that from single player stuff

Wait, this isn't a troll thread?I really thought this was a troll thread, but...like, are you literally incapable of realizing that people find enjoyment in different things?

Like...really? Nine pages of you not being able to understand that some people like chocolate ice cream and some like vanilla?

Texan365

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably a troll thread (I highly doubt you don't understand that you can have fun while not being the best) but...

Isn't that why games use ranks, mmr, etc? Even the worst gamers can achieve micro-progress within their small mmr range or rank pretty easily. It's like you said earlier about local sports OP, aim to be the best within your small subset. I agree that if I was playing MkLeo every single match I might stop having fun, but that's not happening...

And that's not even getting into non-fighting games territory, where you can achieve micro-progress by just feeling proud about a kill within a game you lost (Dota, CS, For Honor, etc). And finally, artificial progress like leveling up still feels nice for some lol.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of playing sports if you aren't gonna be in the big leagues am I right fellas

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I am progressing. I won't be in TOP 5% or 10% in Siege or Mordhau, but I keep getting better and better. And it's fun, yup.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
All those years wasted playing Tennis while Federer and Nadal were doing their thang, how did I even survive the shame

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I've never been big into multiplayer,the only game I've ever played a fair bit of and enjoyed is Killzone(2,3 and ShadowFall).I wasn't very good but had a lot of fun playing.
OP must realise not everyone plays multiplayer to be super competetive surely.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Vs matches just feel different. It's just a different kind of gameplay. It kind of feels like your question is "Why would anyone play multiplayer when single player exists?"

Doing your best can be fun even if your best is overall mediocre. Trying wacky strategies just to see what happens can be fun. Improving as much as possible in the time available to you can be fun even when you know you might realistically hit a ceiling that's nowhere near the top. Playing games with friends is fun even if you're all meh at the game. The thought of a global ranking just doesnt actively weigh on players mid-game. If only the ultimate champion of an activity enjoyed things, no one would do.... Anything ever?

Like, do you get board games and card games? Or arcadey games played for high scores? Or do you only get entertainment with a plot?

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Why play sports or earn money if you will be never Michael Jordan or Bill Gates? Your statement applies to anything one does in life. Not everyone gets to be the best, most famous, richest, etc. Just enjoy your life and find things that make it better/hobbies you enjoy.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
If I did any of those things it would be with friends only, not in a ranked or competition setting

I have played chess but only with friends or family, not online or any type of real competition

So kids who have no chance of going pro shouldn't play high school sports? They shouldn't play in college?

How is anyone going to be able to determine how good they can be if they don't start and then try to improve?

Taking the viewpoint that you have doesn't make much sense. I'm not trying to be a jerk by saying that btw. Competition is fun and the idea of don't compete if you aren't elite level makes no sense.

By far the vast majority of competition is played far away from the highest level. And reaching the highest level is only achievable by starting at lower ones.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So kids who have no chance of going pro shouldn't play high school sports? They shouldn't play in college?
No, they can play but most of them don't go pro they quit eventually, the bad ones quit and the good ones go pro

real life completely different because you get other benefits playing sports etc like exercise no comparison

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
No, they can play but most of them don't go pro they quit eventually, the bad ones quit and the good ones go pro

real life completely different because you get other benefits playing sports etc like exercise no comparison
I'm pretty sure that people play games for fun. 10-year old me sure as hell didn't play football because I was going to be the next Maradonna or because I wanted to excercise.

I play games for fun, video or "real-world". I don't care about being super-competitive, but playing against real people is often more fun than playing against AI. I'm quite comfortable with my general "kinda average" skill level in most games.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exercise benefits your every day life, it makes you sleep better, gives you more energy, prevents diseases etc this is about video games no comparison to real life
No its exactly the same. Why play a sport when you can just go to the gym? It's far easier and you can be more effective in your workout.

The point is, amateur sports are played because people enjoy the game. Also, each individual game is its own competition. You might find yourself improving a bit which is rewarding too. But most people just play to win first place one game at a time.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No its exactly the same. Why play a sport when you can just go to the gym? It's far easier and you can be more effective in your workout.

The point is, amateur sports are played because people enjoy the game. Also, each individual game is its own competition. You might find yourself improving a bit which is rewarding too. But most people just play to win first place one game at a time.
Anyone that's interested in sports should try it and see how good they are, they won't know until they play

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
If I did any of those things it would be with friends only, not in a ranked or competition setting

I have played chess but only with friends or family, not online or any type of real competition

Hate to break it up to you but playing online isn't 'real' competition because nothing is on the line (no pun intended). You don't lose anything in defeat except maybe a deflated ego.

So if real competition is your end goal then you're not even doing that when you play online.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020

So exactly like video games then. People quit eventually, some go pro and quit eventually.

you get other benefits in video games as well. The benefit is called fun. Is there an exact moment of time one should quit? 50 hours of MP and if you aren't top 100 you should quit.

That's leaving out the fact that this only the elite should play mindset will absolutely kill competitive gaming. I played rocket league at a slightly above average level but watched pros play. If you don't have non pros competing and enjoying the game they play they aren't going to want to watch.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

giphy.gif

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, this isn't a troll thread?I really thought this was a troll thread, but...like, are you literally incapable of realizing that people find enjoyment in different things?

Like...really? Nine pages of you not being able to understand that some people like chocolate ice cream and some like vanilla?

He absolutely understand and is now trolling. Don't feed it anymore.

Many people in here told him that playing MP can be just fun (well like games are suppose to be) and he says he can't have fun anymore without getting better or closer to the top (which he isn't even near at all, far from it) so... Stop playing MP games OP and enjoy your life in different ways as you said yourself like for example the single player modes where as most of us can just have fun without having the need to accomplish something in a game.

OP what do you accomplish in real life? Maybe there lies the problem? Are you also that competitve in the outside world and succeed? Do you feel the need to accomplish something in a game to feel better about yourself? We don't see your point at all anymore and we told you a lot of times what we think so please...

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Eh idk about that, some people won't improve no matter how much they try or play most will never reach the top players

Anyone who puts in the time will improve unless they are brainlessly doing the same thing over and over again. You can have terrible mechanical skill and reaction times but your map positioning, knowledge of weapons or abilities, etc will get better and better after each match.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who puts in the time will improve unless they are brainlessly doing the same thing over and over again. You can have terrible mechanical skill and reaction times but your map positioning, knowledge of weapons or abilities, etc will get better and better after each match.
Everyone can't be in the top 100 players there's only room for 100