• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't see it like that, the goal is to win a match not to just play it, the only way it could be fun is if the person enjoys losing

Even if you're playing competitively, the goal is to improve, not to win. Usually the best way to improve is by losing to better players. All my most satisfying fighting game play sessions were getting destroyed by top players, but using that as an opportunity to learn from them and get better. That's much more satisfying than running off long streaks against worse players.

I don't enjoy losing - I enjoy improving. If you can't find joy in getting better by playing better players, you don't have the right mindset.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Every match is a win or loss, if you don't care if you lose and just enjoy moving your character around a map you don't have to be in a competitive game to do that
I'll be blunt, if you are being serious change your mindset now or drop out of competitive gaming asap you're just gonna fuck yourself up.

This is an honest mental health warning from me.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's my whole point

No...I mean you won't be the best in Smash...

...quit now and save your time.

flat,550x550,075,f.u4.jpg

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's why I said I'm just guessing, maybe I'm not, I just know my gsp started going up real slow whenever I won a match in elite smash

it was a few months ago when they top gsp was like 6 million
You are not top at anything. The number of people who have GSPs rising slowly above 6 million is huge. You may want to get out of the general gaming bubble and take a peek into the smash community to see what it really thinks about the value and relevance of GSP in judging someone's skill. This is to say nothing of the fact that it rates your performance online, rather than in a tournament setting against actual talented players in consistent conditions.

I know this is all just trolling, but please be a bit more subtle about it

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Win or lose is pretty harsh metric.

I don't play MP but when I do I only play to not be a burden to my teammates or not be embarrassingly bad. If I can become average, I am satisfied. Currently trying to bang my head in Destiny 2

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
As long as you are having fun, but getting upset at your losses knowing you can do better. Never settle. When you stop getting mad after losing, you've lost twice. A good indicator to switch it up and buy Animal Crossing.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried to get into multiplayer games but I've barely ever played any MP shooters/competitive games and thus have zero experience or skillset in that kind of faster twitchier design. The only MP game I ever invested any kind of time into was Titanfall 2, but I was always the one on my team with a hilariously huge ratio of deaths to kills

So I just don't see the point in trying to get into MP games anymore. Everyone else has had years of experience. I'm currently trying to see if I can hang with Hunt: Showdown but it's not really clicking. I'm tempted to try Escape From Tarkov though, since it seems to be a slower game

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I feel like we've either been getting more and more troll threads around here these past few weeks or I'm just out of touch with reality.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Sooooooooooooooo.........now that OP realises that he probably isn't in the top 1% of Smash players....what happens next?

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
You don't even have to be in the top 1% to win (or finish at the top of the round) consistently and that's good enough for the vast majority of players. Even more players don't even win consistently.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
What's the point of making threads on Restera if you can't make a bottom 1% thread and you know you never will?

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
I've been playing Hearthstone FTP for the last 4 months and am having a blast. I am rank 19 and realize I will never be top tier, but I win a bunch an enjoy experimenting immensely with new cards and classes.

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
So by the OP's logic, only the top 100 players in the world should continue playing. But if that happens, that person who is #100 in the world is now in the very bottom percentile of players. Meaning that person (along with players 2-99) should also stop playing because they're no longer 1 percenters. So basically, the OP believes that online gaming is a zero sum game with Highlander style elimination rules.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A loss also means a chance to learn and improve, I find that many do enjoy the simple fact of improving themselves or playing against people that are stronger than them to simply improve their own play even if they don't win right then and there.
Yea I don't mind losing at all when I'm new and still learning to play I'm expecting a loss as I learn how to play, still doesn't mean I enjoy to lose though

its Not like I can't wait to get back online so I can lose lol

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
Why do you play single player games if you know you'll never be in the top 1%? I mean sure you can argue you're having fun but how is it fun just seeing a story through and knowing you're not the world's greatest Zelda player of all time? I mean like you can spend your time doing anything else where you'll probably not be in the top 1% so why play games?

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
What an odd thread.

Multiplayer games are fun. Surprisingly, this holds true even if you're not the best player in the world.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Most people don't want to make the time investment to be in the top 1%
im happy with top 50%
i think it's an individual decision
I also strongly disagree that only the top 1% is good at a game
Top 1% is being good at the game + huge time investment to know all possible scenarios

Only game I remember getting into the top 1% for is killzone 2 and it just made the game really boring

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
Yea I don't mind losing at all when I'm new and still learning to play I'm expecting a loss as I learn how to play, still doesn't mean I enjoy to lose though

its Not like I can't wait to get back online so I can lose lol

Everyone loses ,like you don't just lose when you are new, fuck look at the upsets at Frostbite.
Do you actually attend tournaments in person? Like you are aware that no one takes gsp seriously as a measurement of skill within the competitive community ?

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
To have fun is a great reason to keep playing. If you're not having fun then you should absolutely stop playing that game.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
There's millions of players, so the chances of you playing that top 500-1000 are pretty slim. Go ahead and enjoy your game!