• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I feel this is some sort of sarcastic/parody post so not much to say.
However, I do feel a bit like that with online leaderboards. You're #34566 in the world yay!!! I don't know why that's even a feature anymore.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's different, it's something you do locally, like you can the best at your school etc plus you get exercise

Why is being the best the end goal? Why is doing something because you enjoy it not an option? And progression still happens even if you most likely won't ever be the best.
I'm never going to be an Apex Legend but I still find myself getting better with every game.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I've pretty much stopped playing all multiplayer games except for smash bros because I'm decent at it, I would guess I'm in the top 1,000 or 500 maybe but even then I think sometimes I'll never be in the top 10 or top 100 so should I keep playing it

multiplayer games have millions of players but out of those millions only the top 10-500 players are truly good at the game, arent all those millions below those top players just wasting their time? Why do they keep logging on every night to lose and not keep progressing?

you can say because it's fun or whatever but how is it fun not progressing and knowing you will never be at the top unless you play for 8 hrs every day and it's the only game you play?

Because the alternative is playing against AI and as you know this has no value if you're trying to get really good at a game.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's better to set reasonable goals for yourself ("I want to be Platinum rank by the end of Season 4") and just appreciate the small victories (like getting revenge on someone that just got you in a deathmatch game) as they come.

Trying to focus on the bigger picture, like being the absolute best or achieving the highest rank, can suck all the fun out of it. Improvement will always come naturally with practice, try to focus on how to make the practice as fun as it can be.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
You may as well just give up on life, because chances are you are not in the top 1% of anything you do.

why do I bother running? My times will never be as good as Mo Farah

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
I was top%er in my diablo 2 days, theres no difference to that now to my more casual multiplayer games.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I wanna be the very best, no one ever was!

I play games and football IRL because it's fun. How hard you work determines how many games you win or how high you rank.

Funny though I was in the top 1% on killzone once and I've been in the top 1% on COD4 remastered and MW2 back in the day. It's cool but it's not why I play. Getting into this 1% would only be important to me if it meant you earned money or in the killzone case for a trophy which is why I did it. That week was a roller coaster keeping myself up there.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I play football but will never play in the World Cup.
I go to the gym and will never win Mr UK.
I play Fifa Online and will never even be in the top 50%.

What a shit waste of a life!

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've pretty much stopped playing all multiplayer games except for smash bros because I'm decent at it, I would guess I'm in the top 1,000 or 500 maybe but even then I think sometimes I'll never be in the top 10 or top 100 so should I keep playing it

multiplayer games have millions of players but out of those millions only the top 10-500 players are truly good at the game, arent all those millions below those top players just wasting their time? Why do they keep logging on every night to lose and not keep progressing?

you can say because it's fun or whatever but how is it fun not progressing and knowing you will never be at the top unless you play for 8 hrs every day and it's the only game you play?
you totally miss the point of a video game. It's about the journey, not the end.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Why do anything ever guys if you wont be the top 1% in it? Its just a waste of time.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

You can take any game, even single player ones and there is bound to be someone who is better at playing it than you are. In fact you can take most things in life and there is usually someone who is better at it than you are. That does not mean you should not be able to enjoy what you are doing at the level you are currently.

I am far from being the best guitar player in the world but I still get tremendous enjoyment out of it. Like gaming it's a hobby, not some rat race to the top. Even if you are not ranked at the top does not mean you are not improving in the game.

Oct 26, 2017
What's the point of doing anything then. I guess I better stop drawing since I'll never be in the top 1%. Guess my cooking is trash too. Oh and why should I bother going to the gym I'll never be a body builder. Get out of here with that shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Why do anything if you're not going to be the best?

Because progression is valuable in itself. And if getting better or progressing isn't something that interests you then plain old fashioned fun may be worth it for a while too. (Though not as long as if there was some motivation involved)

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
how is it fun not progressing

Depends. You may enjoy different maps/stages (especially if we talk about games that have level editors, you can spend lifetime just playing on all those new maps other people create) or if you like weapons (or classes, maybe gimmick ones) or games' base mechanics so much that it's enough.

Also agree on example when you have a circle of friends and your way to communicate sometimes is playing online game, might be on your own server with rules you set up etc. etc.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I play games for fun. Multiplayer gaming is not my job, there are no performance reviews, and no bonuses tied to my performance. I literally don't care about being in the top 1%.

I don't even care about being in the theoretical top 1% of my career. I care more about being a great husband and dad.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every match is a new competition to try to win.

I don't need to be the best player in the world when I'm fighting against people around my skill level anyway.

This is a strange thread

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If it's the only game you're playing, playing 8 hrs. a day, and still not getting better or at the level you want for competitive reasons, then yeah, I'd say it's not worth it. But "for fun" is a perfectly fine thing to do for casual players, which makes up most MP playerbases, I'd think.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you play singleplayer games when you know there are people that execute things better than you or faster than you? You can say for fun or whatever but why play Bloodborne if you can't beat it in under 30 minutes?

This is a terrible point. You can be good at a game with a player base of millions without being in the top 500 players/ Those top 500 are exceptional, not merely good.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
For people who feel the need to always accomplish something while playing a game, that is what leveling and battle passes are for. It doesn't matter if you aren't any good at the game, you are still advancing in it. For other people, it is just about playing with friends.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like when you go to the gym. Are you gonna be the greatest lifter of all time? Do you have the biggest muscles and lowest body fat? Probably not. But you're not competing with them. You're competing with yourself. You're seeing just how far you can push yourself and fix your own mistakes. Your individual progress is something you can control and that's where the grind comes in.

I'm playing Gears 5 a lot rn. I went from barely being Gold to getting into Diamond, which puts me in the top 2%. I'm aiming for masters. Maybe I'll get there and maybe I wont. It's a team game and you have no control over you getting stuck with AFKs, guests, complete idiots(just played a game with a guy loudly announcing on the mic he couldn't find his glasses). You're not gonna win every game. But as long as I have a good game, when I'm on The top of the leaderboard, and when I feel my habits and skills are improving, then I'm satisfied.

And what happens when you reach 1%, anyway? Do you just stop playing? You get a cool skin but that's it. You're still playing the same game as everybody else. The chase for #1 is where the fun is. Think about Mario Kart, if you spent the entire game out in front, no blue shells or anything, it would be a bit boring tbh. The most fun part of Mario kart is trying to seperate yourself from the group and see how close you can get to being the best. You might end up fifth but the attempt is what mattered.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
"Hey you guys want to play Settlers of Catan?"
"What's the point if none of us are going to be in the top 1% of the world?"
"Uh ... to have fun?"
"What is fun, really? Shall we define "fun"? If I'm not improving to become the best in the world, what's the damn point?"
"So are you in or are you out?"
"Sigh ... just this once, I'll use 10% of my power."

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Also everyone feels like this till they go to locals and drown in pools.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Finally, we've found Ninja's secret ERA account!
Not gonna lie, I came in expecting, or rather hoping, this was some quote from some streamer and their ridiculous statement.

What a weird thread. It confuses my brain that a question like this has to be asked and the answer isn't obvious. Where you rank compared to others I would hope is not the most popular focus with multiplayer games. Sure it's a nice thing to know for those that care but no one I play with gives a shit about their position compared to others... and most of us try our asses off to do our best with various games like PUBG, ESO and others.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you gauge if you're in the top 1000 or 500 in smash with how GSP works? That's what I want to know.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
If you feel like the point of a game is to be the best player in the world, than I can see why someone would not have fun. I probably wouldn't even play games if that was the case.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To have fun. Like others said. I've enjoyed a lot of CoD/Battlefield multiplayer games and just played to play them.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I play multiplayer games because co-op is really fun, and it bothers me when people treat "multiplayer" and "competitive/PvP" as synonyms.

I largely don't play PvP if I can help it, because I don't have a competitive mindset, and neither losing nor winning in PvP is very fun for me. But there are other skills I'm working on getting better at (that I will also never be top 10 at) and in general I have to agree with everyone else. It's really like saying "why do anything if you can't be number 1?" and that seems like an unhealthy opinion to have. Mostly I'm not going to be competing against other people who are leagues better than me anyway, so "don't have to be the fastest, just faster than the slowest" and all that.

Personally, I'd also say that "good" starts at maybe the top 40% (so, could be thousands, or even millions), not the top 100 people out of millions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯