• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've pretty much stopped playing all multiplayer games except for smash bros because I'm decent at it, I would guess I'm in the top 1,000 or 500 maybe but even then I think sometimes I'll never be in the top 10 or top 100 so should I keep playing it

multiplayer games have millions of players but out of those millions only the top 10-500 players are truly good at the game, arent all those millions below those top players just wasting their time? Why do they keep logging on every night to lose and not keep progressing?

you can say because it's fun or whatever but how is it fun not progressing and knowing you will never be at the top unless you play for 8 hrs every day and it's the only game you play?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...To have fun?

With competitive games it can be hard to have a lot of fun if you are not at least reasonably good at the game, but that doesn't equate to being in the top 1% at all

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Having fun? Some people don't give a crap about levelling up, as long as they enjoy their game. Have you considered doing that?

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I'm having fun when I play the video game with another person/people. I don't put much thought into it besides that.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
You still level up and unlock things, even if you're not "number one".

It is still fun. I'm rarely near the top in Battlefield matches but I still love partaking in the chaos and getting kills.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people use multiplayer as a hangout session with their friends. And a lot of folks enjoy being able to pick up and play a game with little or no strings attached for some quick fun rather than a lengthy campaign than can feel like a commitment.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You obviously derive fun from being the best. Most people don't.

Some of us just play the game to relax and pass some time and enjoy ourselves. I don't need to play CoD for 12 hours a day and be a Pro to have fun with it.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
imagine asking this about any competitive activity lol

why do people play basketball, run marathons, play little league

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's fun!

I'm not looking to turn pro, or get into competitions, I'm just there to have some fun.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I'm lowkey hoping this is parody but yes it is because its fun. It is fun to compete with others or to play together with them. That's why people play them.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Fun doesn't only depend on progression.
Progression doesn't mean the same thing to everyone.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Uh.

You'll probably never be in the top 1% of very many activities at all, if that was enough reason to not do a thing, you'd never attempt anything.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fun? Playing with friends? Unlocking new items/skins/etc?

I don't care about being ranked highly in a multiplayer game whatsoever

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's one toxic mentality to have, OP. Can't even imagine living my life thinking about stuff like that

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
you can still progress within your skill level. being the top 1% in a game is unreasonable for the most part

unless you play battlerite royale. TOP 100 BABY

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Double post, my bad.

Edit: Oh well, I'd also like to point out that you will rarely be in the 1% of anything. So what?

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Why stop at 1% though? Why not top 0.1%, top 0.01% or just top 10 of the world?

Probably because you set that bar yourself, while some set it at better than average, top 0.001% or don't set the bar at all.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
How does OP know they are in the top 1,000 of Smash? Guess it is for nothing, why bother doing anything because you are not in the top 1% of life?!

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Why play sports when you'll never be the best

Real talk, playing games with others, especially friends >>>> single player

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This is a terrible mentality to have. I guess if you're part of the 99% of any group, you should just pack up your things and go home. OP, I sincerely hope that you're able to reconcile with not being in the 1% of your competitive pursuits prior to your skillsets deteriorating. Otherwise, you're going to be in a world of hurt.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
You still win sometimes right op? Why don't you just have fun when ya win and take your loses as a learning experience?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Whats the point of playing pickup basketball games if you know you'll never be in the NBA?

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing For Honor for 3 years now and I play it because it's fun. I don't have to be the best, I just legit enjoy playing a few matches of this medieval fighting game like no other.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
To have fun. And in my opinion it's even more fun when you stop caring about trying to get to the top.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
How can people have fun playing sports with their friends if they're not in the pros? 🙃

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently a bit burned out from playing a ton of fighting games online over the past few years but even I can say - as you even address - the reason is fun. For most, it's not about being the best - it's usually about being better. Set a target and improve and reach it.

And then there's people who just enjoy a game and like to play it with real people.

Apr 21, 2018
This might sound awful, but no matter the skill level, I find it sensationally satisfying to beat someone online. When I narrowly place 1st in Mario Kart or get a kill in any online shooter, I imagine them raging out.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
The overly competitive drive of some people, is the actual reason of why I prefer to play some stuff completely alone.

And it's why I never played Rainbow Six Siege after 2018, everyone had this mindset and "having fun" was for weak wimps or something like that.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
You can have fun in the game and progress.
Or you can ditch your job and hobbies and become the very best, but the fun part would probably vanish after the first few thousand hours.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
how is it fun not progressing
giphy.gif