• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Red Dead 2
The Mass Effect Trilogy
The Walking Dead Season 1 & 2
Tales From The Borderlands
The Last Of Us 1 & 2

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
RDR2
TloU2
Alien Isolation
Hellblade
Death Stranding
Metroid Prime
Assassins Creed Origins
Skyrim
Subnautica
Fallout 4
Metro Exodus
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Battlefield 1 and V
Far Cry Primal
Cyberpunk 2077
The Witcher 3

The Best:
Red Dead Redemption 2

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't look for immersion in games. I'll enjoy the experience and sink hours into it, and get invested in plots, but nothing that draws me in like I'm "in the world" because I'm constantly noticing and critiquing, which I think is part of the fun.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I was fully immersed in TLOU2. The weather added so much stress on top of the story just exhausting me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Budget Cuts & HL Alyx. Both did the 'lean on wall in VR that doesn't exist in real life and fall over' trick which means I was pretty immersed.

Also minecraft. I can get totally lost in there especially spelunking or mining with the ambient music in the background.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
For me, probably the Mass Effect series. I think the biggest thing that makes immersion work for me is how much it allows me to feel like I really am someone else in the context of a video game. In Mass Effect, Commander Shepard is their own distinct character in the world, complete with their own voice acting. And yet that character also feels very personal to me since I'm able to pick dialog options and thus influence my choices in said conversations. And I just find it great to hear Commander Shepard's voice in response to my choices. To me, it all just comes together really well, and makes me feel like I really I am Command Shepard in the world of Mass Effect. And that's what makes that series quite endearing to me.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Kentucky Route Zero. Amazing sound design and visuals in that game. Felt like I was right there.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot to mention Mass Effect. It's definitely up there for me in non-VR games. I remember being sick just as I started Mass Effect 1, so I was staying home and binging on it. I would spend hours and hours just exploring the Citadel, talking to people, and learning all about the lore and species.

Mass Effect 1's Citadel was just amazing. Such a huge place with lots to explore.

I'm still unsure how I feel about ME1 Citadel. Like you, I spend hours soaking myself in its otherworldly atmosphere, enjoying the great music and seeing everything there was to see. But on the other hand, I hate its layout (the wards in particular). It makes zero sense and confuses me to this day after even multiple playthroughs. There doesn't seem to be any logic to it, it's like a maze. And my second gripe with it is that it doesn't feel like a *city*, it feels like you're just visiting the inside of one big building. You get to see the wards through a huge panoramic window, but it doesn't really feel like you're *in* them. I had to wait until ME3's Citadel DLC to finally get that Blade Runner-esque feeling of walking down a crowded street in a bustling futuristic city.

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
it WAS heavily modded Skyrim (with all the survival bells and whistles and no UI etc).

then I played Astro Bot Rescue Mission and fell off my couch because I tried leaning against a wall that wasn't there and I'd forgotten I was in a video game.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Pathologic 2. A flawless ludonarrative. I'm still in that town.

Another game I find intensely immersive is Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Its world feels like home.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Probably The Last of Us Part 2. I'm afraid of heights, so during that one sequence.... I was right there with Abby. Like, I was her. It was pretty insane.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017

The moment this song played in the game, blasting it through a surround sound system gave me goosebumps.

A lot of the other music in the game is immersive, but that scene and it's music took the top spot.

plasmabear

Jan 21, 2021
Pyre. Not for reasons of realism ofc, but never have I ever played a game that made me really feel like I'm actually the person I'm playing as (the reader) and make it feel like I'm part of the story and not just in a game. I think that's for several reasons

-my decisions in the journey make a big impact, I decide where we go and it matters (without being an open world game).
-basically no question is unanswered: why do I decide where we go? Who sings the music I'm listening to at the moment? Who are the people I travel with and what are their motives. It's also rarely a black-and-white between "evil" antagonists und us protagonists, everybody has relevant motives that are not ignored.
-losing is allowed. Might sound dumb, but I think this was important for immersion: there is not just the one path of glory where you always win like in pokemon games etc. If you lost, you lost and have to live with the consequences. You might even lose the most important matches and it WILL affect the story, but thats just the way it goes!
-every decision you take is taken seriously to the last details: favourite example being that the lyrics of the songs are adapted to the current situation (all dialogies ofc too, but these are not voiced). The songs especially blew my mind. Fantastic.

Recently finished pyre, already played bastion and transistor and now enjoying hades, it's crazy cool to see how much super giant improve from game to game and still make distinct masterpieces of art and music.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Alien Isolation was fantastic.
Prey was equally brilliant for me.

Most of the Bethesda games are up there for me too.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Half Live Alyx and Project Cars 2(Combined with racing wheel and pedals)
Nothing really comes close to VR in immersion.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Divinity Original Sin 2. It makes you feel like you can do anything in that world, everything has consequences. Great game that I have to finish some time.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno about 'most', but Alien: Isolation certainly had me by the balls from the start.

Cultist Simulator is another one that sucks you in.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I think the original Operation Flashpoint on PC. It was almost like a super realistic role playing game in a war scenario. I felt like I was right there.

Especially the "calm before the storm" moments were super intense. I really felt like I was fearing for my life and that of my comrades.

There is a mission were you're on your own, trying to make it through the woods to the escape helicopter, while the enemy is searching for you. Some of the most intense gaming moments.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners.
Finished yesterday and I'm blown away!
I plan to make a thread this week talking more about it but just to sum it nothing in my 26 years as a gamer came close to the feeling of running from a faction when the bells were ringing and the map was full of walkers so the walkers started attacking them and me, my pistol got empty I needed to put bullet by bullet on the pistol, running, throwing everything I saw on the floor in walkers direction, getting my backpack on my back ( lol ), to get medicine, taking it, rolling bandages on my own arm, taking a knife from my hip to brain a walker...shit was intense !

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Ignoring VR, for me I'd say Alien Isolation. It can be genuinely terrifying at times and the visual presentation is really on point.

Prey is also very good but it would really benefit from less enemies and combat, I find that breaks some of the immersion.

Jan 10, 2018
GT Sport comp races. I have sore muscles after those races because my body is just so engaged in the experience.

Also pretty much every Rockstar open world game. They are the only open worlds that feel truly dynamic and alive.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
Subnautica VR is literally too immersive if you have any inkling of thalassophobia creeping in your neurons. So that.

As for actual immersion in a 2D game, ask the $1000 I spent on Magic The Gathering Arena how it feels.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
Skyrim, Witcher3 and AC Valhalla. I would say HL2 but for those horrible 'Loading' dead stops.

I think the original Operation Flashpoint on PC. It was almost like a super realistic role playing game in a war scenario. I felt like I was right there.

Yes, good one, that was immersive back in the day... Like the games I listed above that suck me in, despite it being smoke and mirrors, as all games ar of course, the worlds feel real, with events going on around you, even if they're not really.