• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Idk if it's "immersion" but the most engaged I've been with a game is probably Xenogears or Breath of the Wild. Bloodborne is up there too

Jimbojim

Jan 10, 2018
Back when I got my HTC Vive and played the demo of Budget Cuts for the first time, I didn't just fall over from leaning against a virtual wall. I also bumped my head (with the headset) against my floor because I was trying to look through a vent on the floor. VR can get crazy immersive. The times I took of my headset and realized that I was in my room the entire time, despite seeing all these different worlds and things for the past hour... Incredible stuff. The effect does wear off to a certain extent, but the magic of a good VR experience never truly fades away.

Edit:

Happens to the best of us

Hahaha I don't think he'll do a 147 under 10 minutes in VR anytime soon!

Oct 28, 2017
Probably Red Dead Redemption 2 when just exploring the world.

When they originally released, Bioshock and Skyrim were both incredibly immersive to me as well.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Half Life Alyx was so immersive it tripped me out of reality and it felt like my own hands weren't real when I took of the headset after a few sessions. Had to take a 2 day break to recover when I was about halfway through the game. Legit made me sad that I couldn't just gravity glove objects into my hands lol. But my god was it an incredible experience.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Any Bethesda game. I get lost in those for hours upon hours with my character creating whatever story fits. My Skyrim builds are so many hours long and each do something different in terms of gameplay, what they join/don't, what house the claim as their home and what stuff they collect for display on their journeys.

Jan 15, 2018
Half Life Alyx is it right now. VR games tend to walk a fine line. Yeah, putting the headset on and playing the games really put you in the experience but it's also easier to be taken out of it. Little things like an object not reacting like how you would expect or not even being able to be interacted with at all.

Alyx was the first VR game I've played where the seams don't show, the vast majority of things you'd think to do, you can, and items in the world react the way you'd think they would in real life. That all paired with extremely impressive audio and sound mixing and some truly impressive graphics and effects make for an incredibly immersive experience.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
PBF134-Game_System.gif

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Red Dead 2 is great in it's own right, even if it can't compare to compelling VR games.

I really do like walking around camp in Red Dead and listening to, as well as reacting to conversations. These are the most fleshed out characters you'll find in an open world. I just wish the game supported 3D audio; I really want the days of stereo audio in 3D gaming to end.
Never played VR but I need to. But yeah RDR2 made me feel like I used a time machine.

KamiCrit

Oct 27, 2017
Western Canada
Portal 2, I was sucked into everything about it. The marketing stunt the lead up to the announcement was captivating. The story and gameplay were also great, just couldn't pull myself away from it.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime for me, and I believe it's because so much of the game is diegetic, and it manages to contextualise almost everything except ammo missile pickups and some upgrades. The 3D maps and health are holographic displays in her visor, scanning control consoles exists instead of non-diegetic "press A to interact" prompts, and so forth. It also had a lot of atmospheric effects like steam, frost, and raindrops on Samus' visor.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Any game that lets you act stealthy/sneaky and feel really bad when you get hurt/hit. I get that adrenaline fight or flight response and that regret from getting hurt at the same time.

BotW on Pro Mode and Metroid Prime games are pretty damn immersive too. Also the 3D in Ocarina of Time 3DS.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
VR is the only time I've ever felt immersed playing a game, I just can't get there when playing normally. Resident Evil 7 in VR though was some scary shit that really made me feel like I was in there.

romey

Mar 2, 2020
Witcher 3. I once played that game for 8 hours straight. And if you know me, then you'll know I don't play video games for that long.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
Persona 5, Zelda BOTW, and Ghost of Tsushima.

I was so engrossed in the world of those games. Very rarely did I feel what I felt when I played those games with others.

It's hard to choose the top one amongst those because they're all very different games, but if I had to choose, I'd go with Persona 5 because the choice of what I got to do every day in that game was reflective of how I wanted to immerse myself in that game.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
star citizen. Something about waking up in a space station, calling your ship, getting in, walking to the cockpit & taking your seat, and then flying to a planet's surface, to land, and then enter a mining facility. All seamlessly. Something about that makes it really immersive

Romir

Oct 28, 2017
Half-Life: Alyx

I tried to swing open a partially closed door with my foot multiple times.

BlueBrand

Oct 28, 2017
Half-Life: Alyx - I have memories of being in the places that I played, it's surreal.

Love the shout outs to Pathologic 2 and the Stalker games, two of my fav series to immerse myself in.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
SOCOM that came with the headset on PS2. When they started talking to me in the headset even though the sound of the game came out of the tv, it blew my mind and instantly transported me into the game.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Lately, I've been getting completely lost in Assetto Corsa, especially the Shutoko Revival Project mod. I find myself just driving for hours at a time.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I've been sucked into Factorio this week so much. Put 44 hours since I bought it on Monday.

Subnautica also comes to mind. I loved the atmosphere of that one too.

DosDaddy

Feb 17, 2019
Elite Dangerous (especially in VR)

Cyberpunk 2077

Doom Eternal once it clicks is borderline impossible to put down