• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Recently went through the whole Kingdom Hearts series.

Honestly, all the games in there. So much fucking charm.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
The most recent new game was probably Ghost of Tsushima. I'm a huge fan of a well-made "one of those" (referring to open world checklist type game). It was gorgeous, played well, and I had an absolute blast.

I'm VERY mixed regarding the FF7 Remake, but the entire part in the Honey Bee with Cloud was absolutely brilliant. I was so happy that entire scene. Nailed it, I know.

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Okami. Game got me through a rough patch as a kid when my parents almost got divorced. Now, when I play it, I'm reminded of how close my parents are today and how far they've come.

Also it's Okami.

Thorry

Apr 24, 2018
Netherlands
Already posted on the first page.
39891228293_13c532f352_o.gif
31914878607_25f295492a_o.gif

39891228403_12f092a56a_o.gif

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FFVIIR. There were so many moments in that game that had me grinning from ear to ear.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ni No Kuni this Saturday.

I only started it in an attempt to get through my ps3 backlog to dump the console, but man Mr Drippy is a straight up riot.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Xenoblade DE. So gorgeous, and the music just adds to it.
I second this. I had a Wii and never got this so I am playing it with great contentment asking "where have you been all my life?"

Also a shout out to the Touryst from last year. Gorgeous visuals, retro sounds, very satisfying puzzle solving in a simple whimsical package...

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
If it counts, VRChat makes me happy almost every day when I'm on there. I've made a bunch of friends through it and I laugh more than I've laughed in ages playing it.

Outside of that recently it's Fall Guys. I love it.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The most recent game I've played that gave me a feeling of pure joy would be A Short Hike. The Animal Crossing vibe, slight Night in the Woods-like dialogue, and BOTW-like systems and exploration all combined to create a joyful, simple experience with hidden depth and a couple hours of light discovery.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
BotW and before that WW HD. I really hope WW and TP get switch ports.
Playing FF7R was more surreal for me (in a good way).

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It would have to be Wattam.

AGVixPLf_400x400.jpg

MarvelousWelllitAfricangroundhornbill-size_restricted.gif

I had been waiting for Keita Takahashi's new game for a very, very long time, and after 5 years, it finally came out.

Is it perfect? No. It's really short (with roughly 4 hours of game in there). It's only available on EGS (for the PC version). It's not very complex or involved. It feels more aimed at children than Katamari Damacy.

Wattam_Game

But it's fun, cute, silly, and quirky, and was really what I needed at the time. There's a lot of poop. There are a lot of excited characters that resemble various items in the world or the cast of Mr. Men and Little Miss. There's a lot of people exploding and people excited by people exploding. It also had a simple story of unity and forgiveness that made me cry at the end.

(It's also the best game in the "strand" genre.)

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
We mostly play as a family, so the last game to do this for us is - Ring Fit Adventure - started last week and it's awesooooome. The kids are also getting into it and their physical progress has been encouraging.

Before that, it'd be Animal Crossing -- probably the first time I've enjoyed an entry in this series, personally.

Bonus: Super Mario Odyssey is a source of constant obsession and joy for the kids. And over the past 2 weekends: "that Hulk Smash game", as my 3-yr old likes to call it (Avengers beta).

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Tough call, but I think it's last year's Sayonara Wild Hearts. It's a dense short burst of joy, even if the material is a bit more subtle than that.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
Childish happiness: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey.
Happiness in general: HITMAN and HITMAN 2.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
Jedi Fallen Order is not the best game I have played over the past few years but it's the one I most wanted: a long - but not overlong - AAA Jedi game with good combat and lightsaber customisation and shit. Hadn't had one of those for sixteen years.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
FF7 Remake.
I was so joyful and bashed in memories that all the negatives and shortcomings were just buming off me like I didn't even notice.
Just rethinking about my time with that game gives me goosebumps.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
I was about to say Sunset Overdrive but reading your post remind me I just crushed Buu's face in DBZ : Kakarot and as a long time fan who played a bunch a DBZ games, what a blast I have with that game. Can't wait for a next-gen one in a fully open-world

Oct 27, 2017
Flight Simulator 2020.

I can't think of another year in my lifetime where the beauty and scope of its freedom to explore could have been more welcome.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
That's most games really. I guess the most recent releases were Death Stranding, Flight Sim 2020 and Total War: Troy.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about pure happiness, but I came close just the other day when I played through Ninja Warriors Once Again on Switch on a whim (after owning it since it's release). Can't believe that game flew under my radar for so long.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Children of Morta actually now that i think about it. Despite it having a pretty dark narrative i always enjoyed the time i spent with the Bergsons. I think it's the theme of a family working together to overcome adversity that resonated so well with me.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I can't even remember the last game I've played, but one game that gave me happiness from beginning to end was Stardew Valley, maybe because I was depressed but I think it's just because that game is so good.

Oldhand

Oct 28, 2017
Astrobot. Made me feel like a child full of wonder and awe again. Not even my first VR game - been using headsets since the Devkit 2 days, but Astrobot was simply wondrous.

iwam

Aug 7, 2019
For me, it's probably Celeste.

The gameplay is as pure as its namesake's snow, and it's one of the few titles where 'happiness' is derived even from its overt bouts of frustration.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Holy crap is it challenging in some parts, but that challenge is so rewarding.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
A Short Hike just last week
The simple and colourful 3D visuals, that gliding mechanic, the snappy dialogue and short stories applied to numerous NPCs and the freedom to just explore and discover
A near perfect short experience, when throwing around the term walking simulator I have to wonder if this applies to that, if it does, it's easily the best as it throws in enough gamey-ness to be that much more engaging.

burnfout

Oct 27, 2017
Some good one mentioned already:

Stardew Valley (played 200 hours together with my GF)
Tony Hawk Demo, what a nostalgia trip, this game will be great.
KH 3
Donkey Kong; Tropical Freeze (bought a switch during lockdown)
FFVII RE: the Airbuster fight
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy