• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The appeal of most games to me is overcoming challenges, so I'd actually prefer to stay on the high-end if anything.

I'd say probably the only exceptions are RPGs where the numbers get outright outrageous to the point where you have to grind for a month just to damage the next big enemy(looking at you, Ys: Oath).

Dec 8, 2018
If I remember correctly, I think it's The Evil Within 2...since the game is primarily built around stealthing your way through from what I observed, and I wanted a more combat-focused approach where I can shoot down enemies and conserve ammo in the classic survival horror sense, that's why I switched it to Easy...combined with Steam Controller gyro controls for aiming, it played like a dream on PC, got that classic survival horror feeling in 3rd person camera angle that I was craving from The Evil Within 2 at the time :P

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Smash Ultimate World of Light mode. I just wanted to power through it as painlessly as possible in order to unlock the menu music options. I cheesed through the entire mode and finished it in 9 hours. It was so worth it.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
The Witcher 3 is the only game I can recall playing on easy and it's just because I hate the combat in this game so much.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either Ratchet & Clank PS4 or Tetris Effect Journey Mode, after I got them along with my PS4 on Black Friday. Can't remember if I messed around with Tetris Effect a bit more after I finished Ratchet or not.

To be clear though, I'm mostly just along for the ride when I play stuff, and if I had the option, I'd play most stuff on Easy. The stuff I've played since, like Spyro 1 on the Reignited Trilogy, Monster Hunter World, and Donut County aren't games that have difficulty settings at all really, so this doesn't really apply to them. But if something like Monster Hunter did have difficulty settings, I'd probably be playing it on Easy too. Just how I choose to enjoy playing games, and I don't feel any shame in that, nor do I get or care to understand people who act like there is any shame from playing games that way, particularly single-player games, as if I'm trying to impress anyone to begin with. I play games for myself, to relax and decompress and have a good time, and that's enough for me usually. So when there is a difficulty option, I almost always go easy.

Oct 25, 2017
I usually play games on the hardest difficulty or one step down. I think the last game I played on Easy was the first Evil Within. That game was just really cheap with the insta-death traps, and the enemies all had way too much health and the resources were really scarce. I would spend like half an hour in a single conflict then have to start all over cause of a trap. I beat the first boss, but then started over on easy cause it just wasn't fun. The second game I played on normal and loved it.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I've never needed to yet......been gaming since Pong,lol.
I tend to play linear games on normal and open world/rpg ones on hard......but when it happens that I can't finish a game(and I'm sure it will eventually).....I'll be straight to easy mode with no regrets!
It's great that most games give you a choice though,then everyone gets to have fun....and that's what it's all about.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Skyrim vr because those move controllers are a handful. Also, the vr itself is really stimulating. Even a sort of weak fight can get intense because you're "in it". I like it one tick down from normal.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker on easy (not story mode) cause I know fuck all about the Pathfinder rules and barely understand what half of these buffs and debuffs do.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 1. Been with the series since its 1st year so obviously I've played it many times since then. Now it is time to just breeze through the gameplay and enjoy the story for KH3.
I think mine is the same, since I needed to get the speedrun and 'don't change equipment' trophies on the same run for the platinum.

Otherwise, can't think of anything. I really hate games failing to push back at all.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot remember to be honest. I used to play mostly on hard mode, but recently have gone back to default normal mode. Maybe I should start playing everything on easy. Getting too old and having less and less time or energy.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only time I've done this recently was for Persona 5. I simply could not beat the last boss on Normal, and I was utterly sick to death of the game by that point (I "binge played" it over the course of a week or two during the equivalent of "spring break" over here - bad decision, perhaps, but I never would have finished it otherwise). It was, unsurprisingly, probably a bit TOO easy on Easy, but at least it meant I finished it.

I suppose Dragon Quest XI counts because normal difficulty is considered too easy by most people, but frankly I don't like it enough as yet to consider playing it on hard.

In general I play games on normal difficulty unless the difficulty options are weirdly customisable. I have no interest in difficult combat because I'm basically terrible at video games, but in something like Shadow of the Tomb Raider I was able to tone down a lot of the platforming and puzzling hand-holding separately from the combat which was absolutely ideal.

The main exception to this rule, though, is games with stealth in. I am so bad at stealth games.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Funky Mode in Tropical Freeze.

I don't even need it, I just love how Funky's double jump doesn't tank his horizontal speed like Diddy or Dixie's double jump actions do.

Renmyra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I put Berseria on Simple(?) to farm some materials that are like 1% drop rate on anything above normal, but crucial to upgrading some weapons. Great design!
Other than that I always go for the hardest difficulty available, unless it's super bullshit.

Last edited:

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
sometimes i start arcade games on easy on a first playthrough, they're short anway. or for NG+ to wrap up some trophies. won't play on easy when i plan to do one pt only.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 2 to make grinding faster. It feels like the enemies in that have way too much hp on normal.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Latest god of war. A friend really loves it and lent it to me. Didn't really have the heart to tell him I really wasn't interested.

Put it on easy but gave up on it a few hours in anyway. I just couldn't bring myself to care, upgrading stats or the combat. Yeah I probably didn't give it a fair shake but I just don't feel that game at all.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
its been a while since i dropped to normal let alone easy.

I guess pokemon is easy mode by default lol but honestly cant think of a legit answer

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Spider man

Shit still pisses me off that even playing on the easiest level spider man can't knock out a human ass thug with one punch lol

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
most JRPGs or RPGs, it's usually less related to "being good" at the game and more about just grinding more.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I played the SP of Battlefront 2 with my girlfriend some days ago. She isn't used to dual stick controls at all and she never plays shooters so i selected the easiest setting for her. It was fun. She was headshotting and killing Tie-fighters within two hours. LMAO.
Personally, i can't remember. I like a challenge. Makes you learn the levels better. Don't mind dying a couple of times. But i play games very rarely now so i did scale back to "normal" in a lot of games.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Farming simulator 17.

Just put on Game Pass and I just want a relaxing time on the farm really.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I played first dungeon of Persona 5 on easy (not safety). After the first dungeon I raised it to normal.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Basically any action-adventure game. Tomb Raider, Uncharted, and currently God of War.

Man I do not care for that combat at all.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never. I can't remember a single time. I'm stubborn.

Maybe DMC3? I feel like it had an "easy" mode but it was still harder than most games' hard modes

Azar Kiowa

Nov 17, 2017
Uncharted 4, the beginning of chapter 20. I don't know how many attempts I made on crushing before giving up and switching to easy. I did eventually beat it on crushing though after figuring out a strategy.

I remember switching a few times to easy just to compare difficulty to crushing, and it was ridiculous. There are some sections which I don't think ever got balanced for crushing.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
None, I don't play on easy mode

source.gif

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Resident Evil 7 in VR mode. I have already finished the game on normal but if I play it on that or hard in VR I'd probably shit myself.

Jan 2, 2018
"Normal" is "Easy mode" now? Than I play almost all games on "easy mode"

Don't most games with multiple difficulties have at at least three modes? Easy, Normal, Hard?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Puzzle Quest.

It's the only difficulty where the AI isn't a cheating bastard. On Normal and especially Hard it will immediately find and match all fours/fives-of-a-kind, including combos which involve gems that haven't dropped into the playing field yet. It also knows when it will "randomly" get an extra turn through matching regular threes (through skill points, equipment, etc), and make moves accordingly. Playing on Easy is the closest you can get to playing against a realistic opponent, because it will actually sometimes miss a clever combo every now and then, just like a regular human being would.

babuchy

The Fallen
Nov 3, 2017
Total War: Warhammer

I usually play games on hardest difficulty available... but I love the same way I suck on strategy games, I'm really really bad

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
If I read that a game is frustrating and unfair before playing it then I will often turn down the difficulty. Played Kinights Contract last year and I actually ended up thinking is was a decent game on Easy. The game was absolutely murdered by the critics because of the poor AI in combination with the difficulty making it frustrating.

Challenge can be great in games like Celeste, Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls but not when it mostly comes from jank. At the same time, a janky game can still be fun if it isn't too hard and unfair.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Whatever the last game is I played. I play everything on easy, unless it removes content from the game, or the harder difficulty is actually more interesting (read, enemies do different things, and don't just take more damage/kill you faster).

Tonypark

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Every games I can. Recently Alien Isolation on Novice and thank god for that otherwise I would have never finished the game probably.

I just want to finish my games you know!