• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Lawrence in Bloodborne is the only boss in any game I've ever had to take multiple sittings to beat. It took me like three days to beat him. Mind you I was in NG+ so idk how much that changes things. Orphan was cake because you can parry the hell out of him.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if they were the hardest per se but the twin tanks in Ninja Gaiden Black were a serious pain in the ass.

More recently Lady Butterfly from Sekiro slapped me around like I owed her money.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
My wife! No but seriously it's probably either Sister Friede or that Watchdog thing in the Chalice dungeons in Bloodborne where your health is like half or whatever. Fuck that dude.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
svSc6R.gif

Rodin from Bayonetta

Sp1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
SMT Strange Journey on DS, final boss. Literally impossible if you leveled 'wrong' up until that point.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Sans in Undertale. Still proud I managed to beat his boss fight, was a blast to do once you nail it down proper.

Otherwise, probably Geese in Art of Fighting 2. That guy is the most SNK of SNK bosses, a complete asshole to reach let alone beat. Good thing I'm a huge Geese fan or else I'd be annoyed!
Sans was so tough he's definitely up there for me.

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1ca9f8f1873cdf2aec9fae2d4fd0150b43cfc302.jpg

Not sure I would say the harddest but this probably my most hated From's boss fight.

Getting to them alone is torture (fuck Frigid Outskirts)
I broke 4 weapons on them, in the hurry to equip a new weapon I accidentally picked havel's shield and killed the last one with it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mysterious Figure - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
giphy.gif

SimilarImaginativeIcelandichorse-max-1mb.gif

BlondJealousHedgehog-max-1mb.gif

RegalKindlyKomododragon-max-1mb.gif

giphy.gif

Edit: Looks like I was beaten.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Sister Friede DS3, Ashes of Ariandel DLC.
Ornstein & Smough, DS1
Orphan of Kos, BB.
Sephiroth, Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Lucifer from SMT Nocturne but that was 15 years ago,maybe i remember wrong.
I was so underleveled and didn't want to keep trying or spending time building the team for that fight.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
The last boss of Wine and Blood (The Witcher 3 expansion) was ridiculously difficult compared to everything else that came before. I would be able to get him to the last phase but after many attempts, I said fuck it and just turned it down to easy.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight "special" bosses. I can't remember who, but I reached a difficulty wall almost impossible for me, so O stopped playing. It was a great game, I finished it with something around 96%, but the special challenges are waaaay out of my skills haha.
DS, BB or Sekiro bosses are like little babies against them.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
No boss stands out for me in terms of difficulty but I'm pretty sure it wouls be a boss from SNK, some of those bosses are just straight up cheap.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Laurence the First Vicar. Took me and a friend 3 nights of co-op. He's an absolute bastard. Miyazaki fucked my shit up.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Drakengard 3.
Final boss is a rhythm game which fucks up your brain. Especially with the last few notes being completely without an audio or visual clue. Had to use a video where someone showed the buttons/notes, and started both, the game and video at the same time in sync.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV's Living Liquid. Sixty fucking hours with my raid group before our first clear.

Solo? Probably Dark Souls 1's Manus at SL1. Took a few days.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Jaquio ( Ninja Gaiden).

The worst part was having to re-start the whole final stage. Could only beat it on the Switch with save states.

Nov 6, 2017
Imlerith from Witcher 3 on Death March difficulty is another good one.

In that difficulty, the first 5 to 10 hours are pretty brutal, after that, with the witcher gear you found, it kinda it levels out, and it gets easier and easier. This motherfucker appears at 25 hours, and it's one of the biggest difficulty spikes I've ever experienced.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
In terms of time spent they're mostly FromSoftware bosses I think.

Orphan of Kos
Nameless King
Ornstein and Smough
Ancient Dragon
Laurence, The First Vicar
Watchdog in the defiled dungeon
Sekiro boss spoiler
Isshin, The Sword Saint

Armstrong in Metal Gear Rising was a challenge.

I remember I couldn't beat Seymour Flux in FF-X back in the day, but that was more a case of being underleveled and having bad equipment.

But I'll go with Sekiro final boss if I need to choose one, think that's the only one I couldn't beat in one session.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to admit that Senator Armstrong in MGR kicked my ass on my first playthrough on normal.
It was one of the few bosses who really left me clueless after a good hour of failed attempts, and I just couldn't believe it.
The difficulty spike with this end-boss didn't help either.

Neil Howarth

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Mike Tyson in NES Punch-out. That jerk was so hard the fucker even knocked me out when using an invincibilty cheat on the Game Genie.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
The final showdown with this girl in Ubisoft's Kinect game Shape Up, and I'm completely serious.

beatmasterv6kr8.png

I can't find any videos of her final battle online, but it was no joke, as you were fighting both her and Kinect's lag at the same time. It took some serious coordination of the whole body, I was entirely drained when I finally beat her.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
latest

Bogey Alpha & Bogey Bravo - Vanquish challenge 6. Took me whole week to beat them. With challlenge 6 the game basically telling you ''master the boost cancel mechanic or you'll suffer even more''. Also Alma (NGB) is up there as well.
I have faced even harder bosses on some shmups and 8-bit games long time ago, but don't remember their names btw.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Defiled Chalice bosses in Bloodborne. There's one battle with one of the beasts in a very narrow area that starts with it already enraged. It's a one-hit kill pretty much and the the narrowness of the room and camera fuck you constantly.

Nue from Nioh's alpha demo.

That said, he wasn't that difficult in the release version. Maybe they nerfed him, or I've gotten good.

He's actually easier in the demo. We were just newbies. In the demo he has a very telegraphed attack that ends up with him sliding and exposing its belly, which is his most vulnerable and punishable part, by far. Team Ninja must have realized because it was removed in the final game.

Oct 25, 2017
For a while there, I ate, slept, and breathed 0-Watcher Yogg-Saron. There have been harder WoW progression bosses since (Lich King, pre-nerf Sha of Fear, Lei Shen, Archimonde, Fallen Avatar, KJ, Argus, arguably Jaina...), but none that so fully consumed my life.

My US-first on it is still my proudest gaming accomplishment.

I expected a few WoW bosses to show up in this thread (for structural reasons I think they're inherently harder than any solo bosses even at low-level raiding), but I came in here specifically to see if anyone mentioned Yogg. Congratulations! It's easy to wonder afterwards what all of that effort and coordination was even for, when WoW progression content is so transient by design and one tier gets shoved aside for the next, but I find it interesting that total strangers can still reminisce about the shared experience a decade later.

I was a fairly casual raider myself (we were consistently top five on a bad server, which wasn't much, and I've never cleared the hardest fight/achivement on the hardest mode in any raid while it was current), so even standard old Yogg 25 was a landmark accomplishment and my favourite memory of WoW raiding—something the whole team had to earn piece by piece, adjustment by adjustment, even if Lich King was the real guild-breaker later on in the expansion cycle. Design-wise, Ulduar was the pinnacle in so many ways.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA

This guy and several others on nightmare/inferno. Very few opportunities to attack, limits your scope of movement, and does a crap ton of damage even for a single mistake.

I won't be doing nightmare on this or Origins again.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Probably Nightmare King Grimm from Hollow Knight. I may have fought some bosses somewhere that were more cheap and thus more "difficult", but Grimm is like...a well-made fight that happens to also be super difficult without relying on any sort of BS. Multiple fist pumps after beating him.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Orphan of Kos and Defiled Amygdala from Bloodborne.

Edit: add Sister Friede and Nameless King from Dark Souls 3 to the list.

Last edited:

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Devil Jinpachi from Tekken 5 can eat my ass. Spamming motherf'er.

Shao Khan from MK9 is up there, too. Super Armor is legitimate bullshit in fighting games.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mysterious Figure in BBS and Ludwig in The Old Hunters.

There's a lot of From bosses for me, but Ludwig is #1.