• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Legion but didn't stick with it.
I hated the opening of WD2 and trashed it.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
2 is great. Legion has its moments but is largely forgettable. The play as any NPC killed any interesting narrative it could have had.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People hated the first one. I liked it a lot probably because expectations were low. Finished it.

Tried a lot to get into 2nd one but just couldn't like it. And mostly non lethal guns ruined it too. And people liked 2nd one so when everyone said Legion is worse, I won't even bother with it anymore.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
2 is great, a worthy sequel to the open world masterpiece that is Sleeping Dogs.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 has excellent stealth mechanics. It's like Splinter Cell and GTA had a baby. The gadgets you have at your disposal to perform stealth missions work extremely well. You can also find the good guns and kill your way through a lot of the missions if you wish. Graphics wise, it's a looker for its time, specifically the character models and the draw distance.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
From a gameplay point of view Watchdogs 2 was pretty stellar. Shame they went all in on the GTA goofball-ery. They had something pretty interesting tone-wise with Watchdogs 1. And they were at a pretty prime moment IIRC with Wikileaks and all the NSA stuff being pretty recent. They honestly missed a huge opportunity by not expanding on the thematics.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I love Watch Dogs 2, Legion feels like it was a bold idea at first but got mercilessly gutted by the higher ups or something, it feels so half-assed.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I really liked WD2 but WDL is more ambitious and flawed. I hope WD4 is a more polished and challenging version of WDL instead of taking the safer WD2 route.

Though tbh I'd be surprised if WD4 ever happens and the series isn't rebooted in like 7 years.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 is fantastic, with a great cast of characters and an even more memorable city. Legion has some missteps. Being able to play anyone is novel but it results is a pretty hefty blow to the storytelling that contributed to 2's cast being so memorable. And ofc the tone is a lot more serious despite the fact that you can play as an older lady. The city is beautiful in typical Ubi fashion though.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiJ6_TnVot4

Feel like that's the reason why the few who played the DLC felt the presentation was a lot better than the main game because of a bigger emphasis on the story.

It's also less polished than 2.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Wow that's really suck. Everyone tend to forget how hard the peoples who created games worked! :(
Like I written, I really enjoyed Legion, moreso than I expected! It was still a downgrade on many things, especially the open world and while it created interesting scenario and opportunities, the "recruit anyone" was flawed for sure!

But still, congrat! I'm happy to a have played the game!

I plan to give it more of a chance at some point, but not having a main character threw me off. It's great you all tried something unique though!

Cheers! It's absolutely fine if you don't like it. I honestly think that Legion was released on the wrong generation of consoles, there's a lot of compromises and things that had to be removed because we couldn't have BOTH Play as Anyone/schedule related things AND some features from WD1/WD2 on a PS4/X1 (so a cool stuff like Blackout or ambulances arriving infront of your eyes after wounded citizens had to be removed). So I can understand the disappointment of a number of aspects (plus recruit anyone was a massive technical+design challenge and I think we would need a second iteration to really nail it! Not working at Ubi anymore so don't know if it's happening, but I sure hope so!).

I just wish I wouldn't have to read a bunch of posts that call it dogshit or a ruiner of a franchise (in general, not referring to you guys personally) :D There are other ways to express disliking a game.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 is really great if you limit yourself to only using non lethal. The map is very lively and fun to just drive and walk around in. Marcus is really cool and the group are also great characters. The story is decent enough. I recommend playing this game.

I don't say this too much but I just can't find any enjoyment in playing Legion. I bought it on sale as I was itching on a dense open world city to just drive around in. I was not really sold on the play as everyone gimmik. I like defined characters and fun ensembles. Seeing as I really like WD2 and Legion being the next gen game, I said it can't be too bad.

I just can't find fun in this game. I hate how all characters you play as feel computer generated and soulless (I did find it amazing how there is a decent range of personalities, I just don't find their personalities as defined as an actual character which is an aspect of games I love). I will say I enjoyed playing as Aiden in WD1 and that is saying a lot compared to this game. The structure of the missions also make me feel like its all pointless and also computer generated ubisoft template. The idea of playing as any NPCs and doing what seemingly endless missions seems good on paper but once you understand how it is executed, it ends up feeling too mechanical.

I hate the feeling of driving and the look of the vehicles in this game. The map feels very sterile and lifeless despite all of the NPCs that you would have the ability to play as. I boot it up from time to time just to drive around and maybe attempt a mission but I can't get even motivated enough to go to the marker on the map once I get a feel of the game again. I don't usually like deleting games on my drive as I want them always ready to go when I get the itch to play. This one is on the chopping block if the drive gets full.

(Sorry to the devs reading this, I am willing to take another crack at it if I get the itch to boot it up. I think I am about 25-50% in? I may have at least found the story missions interesting. Not saying its not redeemable but its just that most of the mechanics doesn't appeal much to me somehow.)

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Part 1 is ok
Part 2 is v good
Legion poor

only played Legion quite recently. I platinumed it as Im a glutton for punishmen. But a not great experience at all

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I actually beat Watch Dogs 2, so I definitely enjoyed it as I do not beat a lot of open world games.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I had a good time with Legion, even though it didn't live up to its full potential. And it didn't have its crazy core conceit, then I would've never given it a look. But I understand why it didn't appeal to people who were fans of WD2.

Oct 27, 2017
Missouri
I really enjoyed watch dogs 2. It seemed to improve every aspect of the first game. I would recommend it to anyone that likes open world games. I was pumped for legion when it was announced. But I was severely disappointed with it. Playing as any character seemed like a good idea. But there were only a few characters that were any good and then it was cumbersome to swap between them. Also by not having a main character, I didn't connect with who I was playing as and didn't care about the person. The city also felt lacking and bland. So I would say skip legion.

Goonie

Oct 26, 2017
I just wish I wouldn't have to read a bunch of posts that call it dogshit or a ruiner of a franchise (in general, not referring to you guys personally) :D There are other ways to express disliking a game.
For what it's worth, Legion is one of my favorite games of recent years—the hyperbole and bandwagon hate always blows my mind. I'm convinced people who call it "dogshit" just have no imagination. There's so much role playing you can do with the systems in the game that my team became super memorable for me. I'd love to see Ubisoft take another crack at it.

OP
OP
G Status Ray

G Status Ray

Oct 31, 2017
Cheers! It's absolutely fine if you don't like it. I honestly think that Legion was released on the wrong generation of consoles, there's a lot of compromises and things that had to be removed because we couldn't have BOTH Play as Anyone/schedule related things AND some features from WD1/WD2 on a PS4/X1 (so a cool stuff like Blackout or ambulances arriving infront of your eyes after wounded citizens had to be removed). So I can understand the disappointment of a number of aspects (plus recruit anyone was a massive technical+design challenge and I think we would need a second iteration to really nail it! Not working at Ubi anymore so don't know if it's happening, but I sure hope so!).

Sorry that my post was the catalyst for you reading some bummer opinions about something you worked on. I'm sure your contributions are definitely not the reason people feel that way. Seems widely agreed that Legion had some really neat ideas.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
WD2 is one of my favorites from last gen. Much better than WD1. MUCH MUCH MUCH better than 3 aka "Legion" blech fuck that dumb name. That said, 3 wasn't that bad. If only the main game was as good as the DLC. They made some really stupid "NO FUN ALLOWED" gameplay decisions, like forcing you to have a loadout instead of full access to all gizmos and abilities at all times like the first two games. And then to add insult, they lock out the ability to edit your loadout when you're in a secure area or have a wanted level.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 is fantastic, with a great cast of characters and an even more memorable city. Legion has some missteps. Being able to play anyone is novel but it results is a pretty hefty blow to the storytelling that contributed to 2's cast being so memorable. And ofc the tone is a lot more serious despite the fact that you can play as an older lady. The city is beautiful in typical Ubi fashion though.
Agreed, it was a huge disappointment coming from WD2 particularly because the writing in that game was so sharp (for the most part, until that one huge misstep towards the end). Play as anyone was a cool idea on paper that just didn't end up being enjoyable in practice. I didn't connect to anyone in Legion and could not have cared less about the main story. There is still some sharp writing in Legion, a lot of it is just limited to the optional podcasts and audiologs you can collect.

The gameplay in WD2 was nothing special but playing non lethally and using drones/gadgets as much as possible was fun enough regardless. Legion improved upon some of that but also made some of the options too overpowered (and was also quite buggy as you indicated).

WD2 was one of my biggest positive suprises in years, considering how much I disliked the first game. With Legion I was hoping that it would continue that success and it going in a completely different direction again just left a bitter taste in my mouth. On one hand it's cool that they wanted to try something as audacious as the "recruit anyone" system, on the one hand I'm incredibly bummed that there will likely never be a true follow-up to WD2.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
WD2 is fantastic, i cared for the characters so much that I never used weapons as it did not feel like something Marcus would do.
legion is a massive disappointment. Such a great setting but such a boring game.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo all the people who said WD2 was fun. A beautiful game, with fun characters, horrible story and cool game design.

The multiplayer hacking was hilarious as well. I remember hiding in plain sight in an ice cream van perfectly parked in a crowded part of the city and watching as my poor victim tried to find me and the hacking progressed to its inevitable end. It was great.

Also works with garbage trucks.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed WD1 at the time but in retrospect it was average. 2 was a little better and Legion was terrible.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 was a spectacular game from start to finish; featuring a vibrant and lively open world, a unique protagonist and supporting cast of characters, and allowed a fairly wide assortment of playstyles. I didn't expect to be able to play the whole game, viably, using nothing but the taser, melee, and hacks.

Watch Dogs: Legion also had a great open world, and improves on the formula in some ways, but I thought it was a step back from WD2, overall. Going from a well-acted, and exceptionally developed character like Marcus, to the tacky Dedsec stand-ins that you recruit over the course of the game, was too big of a dropoff for the base game. However, the Bloodline DLC, and the Assassin's Creed Crossover, were both excellent, in my opinion, and showed how much stronger Legion could've been if it decided to narrow its scope a bit more than it did, and focus on one or two characters.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
2 is pretty damn good. Just using the gadgets and drone etc to clear the area without being spotted was actually pretty good. Legion is one of the worst games I've ever played and has basically no redeeming qualities.

Melpontro

Oct 25, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 was a fantastic open world game with great characters. The story itself was presented poorly imo with lots of clashing tones. Legion was just incredibly boring, and lost all the charm from 2 by relying on randomly generated characters. The immortality plot was cool though.

Jun 4, 2019
The consensus here is spot on. WD2 is a lot of fun thanks to the protagonist, setting, design, et. al.

Legion has interesting ideas that are poorly executed. I will say this about Legion...playing on permadeath mode introduced some Souls-level stress for me as I had a few characters that became very useful depending on the mission. Once you find someone with that 'special set of skills', it's crushing when you make a dumb mistake.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
Both are mind numbingly mediocre and generally don't worth any time spent on them.
Extraordinarily bad take. Watch Dogs 2 is a masterfully crafted open world experience and I'd be willing to bet cash those calling it trash have never played it.

Just from a level design perspective, it's incredible what Ubisoft achieved with their rendition of San Francisco. It captures the essence of California in a way studios like Rockstar never could. Just the interactivity present in the world alone deserves massive praise. You can watch gang members and police engage in full on unscripted battles without ever involving yourself. A super underrated detail is most props in the game are destructible, leading to police cars being able to plow through backyards during pursuits. Driving along the road you'll even encounter fully mocapped weddings at times.

The story is camp as fuck and I love it for that. The clothing trends, cringe internet humor, and fun soundtrack have pretty much immortalized this into the perfect 2015 time capsule and I think that's an amazing thing.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
WD2 has one of the most dynamic and convincingly realized open worlds, super smooth movement and quite resposive controls. It´s easily Ubisoft`s best OW Action Adventure and delivers outstanding sandbox gameplay with a decent story and surprisingly well written characters and dialogue.

Check out this video if you want to know more:

www.youtube.com

Watch Dogs 2: 4 Years Later

Head to http://www.squarespace.com/whitelight and use coupon code "whitelight" for 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.Watch Dogs 2 had to sel...
Great video. Talking about(and showing) strengths and weaknesses of the game.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
I really enjoyed WD 2. I found the cast to be a lot better than WD 1.

Not really sure about Legion tbh. I've wanted to play it but the lack of a main character and overall impressions from fellow resetters have made me stay away from it

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
The writing in 2 was cringey in a way that I couldn't tell if it was ironic or not, but it's Ubisoft so it probably definitely isn't and is totally meant to be cool and funny? The rest of the game is good thougu.

Jerma's stream of Legion turned me off the game, shit looks like absolute trash.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Watch Dogs 2 is brilliant, one of the best sandbox games I've played. Legion really stripped back some of that, plus the recruit anyone system is detracts more to the game than it adds.