• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
WD 2 is an amazing sandbox of chaos. Soulless story and characters as every Ubi soft game, but their version of San Fransisco and the crazy shit you can do with your abilities is just good dumb fun.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The hate for legion is overblown.

If you enjoy the basic stealth gameplay of 2, then you will absolutely enjoy Legion with it's added recruiting/variable skill wrinkle that can mix up how you want to approach missions, especially in permadeath mode.

They are both a good time and at their deep discounts it's extremely unlikely you will have buyers remorse for either. 2 is absolutely a more personal story by nature because of legions play as anyone design requiring a more characters talk around you structure.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 is corny but kind of in like a good way. Fun game.

Legion improves some of the gameplay but its a lot less memorable

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Watch Dogs 2 is great though combat is definitely a step back from the first game. Legion is shit from top to bottom, loses almost all of the most fun hacks from the first two games and the story is insufferably dull because the "play as anyone" gimmick means nobody gets to be compelling.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WD2 was great. I liked the world and the main cast. The story was not good and not bad.

Legion was not my cup of tea. Some aspects worked great but the big gimmick ran thin very quickly.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
2 was fantastic. Legion was let down by the lack of a main character to focus on, so it felt a bit all over the place.
Thing is you can play Legion with just one character really and in such case it's basically the same as 2 story wise. Both are mediocre games though.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
2 is a great game, if you're not burnt out on the Ubi open world formula.

Legion, just is ehhhhhhhhhh. Not what I wanted from a sequel at all. It's really not worth it, but there are some good ideas from it. Either get it for really cheap, or just YouTube it.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Some missteps aside on the narrative side, Watch Dogs 2 is amazing and my favorite Ubisoft game (and urban open world? Not like I play lots of them).

Reviews from Legion were too underwhelming to put 40+ hours into it. I hope the franchise will rise though.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't liked Watch Dogs 2 so I didn't even bothered with Legion.

To be honest I prefer a lot more the style of the first Watch Dogs.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I actually like Watch Dogs 2 a lot and it felt like an action puzzle game a lot of the time because of the way the hacking systems work. I also liked the irreverant tone -- it wasn't perfectly executed but it was a massive improvement over the dour and dark commitments of the first game. It's just kind of a fun-spirited game and easy to engage with, IMO.

I haven't played Legion, so I can't actually comment on it.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I liked the less emo aspects of WD2, even if some of it was kinda stupid (like your squad of fools that have few defining characteristics). Legion had a better city and some of the missions were great, but it was overall hampered by having no real personality.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Watch Dogs 2 is what happens when Ubisoft writers actually try. Like the main plot isn't even that great but it's amazing what a decent cast and some meaningful commentary can achieve. All of a sudden it becomes memorable.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is you can play Legion with just one character really and in such case it's basically the same as 2 story wise. Both are mediocre games though.
Nah lol this just isn't true but I see from your first post you're not a fan. 2 had a likeable, relatable main character and decent support crew whereas Legion just felt like a bunch of randomised CAW no matter who you played as.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
2 is really quite good. Legion has some interesting ideas, but you can see all of them in one session of play and the overall gameplay, story and characters (or rather, the almost total lack thereof) are a huge step down.

I'd recommend at least giving Legion a go if it ends up on a subscription service you have access to one day; if you find the play-as-anyone idea interesting you'll at least get an evening's worth of fun out of poking at it, even if you just end up mostly laughing at the game's expense when the bizarre voice filtering tech kicks in.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
WD2 has one of the most dynamic and convincingly realized open worlds, super smooth movement and quite resposive controls. It´s easily Ubisoft`s best OW Action Adventure and delivers outstanding sandbox gameplay with a decent story and surprisingly well written characters and dialogue.

Check out this video if you want to know more:

www.youtube.com

Watch Dogs 2: 4 Years Later

Head to http://www.squarespace.com/whitelight and use coupon code "whitelight" for 10% off your first purchase of a website or domain.Watch Dogs 2 had to sel...

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Two was very fun and a good time imo. It would have been a 9/10 for me if I could have played it 100% stealth. I think that would have made perfect sense.

Didn't play Legion and I'm sure I'll never will unless it hits Game Pass

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Out of the two, 2 is definitely the better game. Its only real issue is that while it's still a Ubi Formula game, there's a bit of story dissonance if you don't play non-lethally (which the game allows). Hearing stuff like "We're the good guys" after you went on a spree at a tech company because of one bad person will cause some whiplash. If that doesn't bother you it's fine though.

Watch Dogs Legion I wouldn't call bad either but it's even more of a Ubi Formula game. I beat the campaign and all of the side quests and it's as by the numbers an open-world checklist can get. After about 3 hours you've more or less seen everything that game has to offer. If you don't mind repetition though the core gameplay is solid and it can be fun to just kinda play something rather basic (I completed most of the game after all).

The DLC for WD: Legion has the most story focus if you consider getting it.

--------

Overall I'd recommend playing Watch Dogs 2 and only playing Legion if you REALLY want to say you've played all the Watch Dogs games or have some semblance of interest in the story.

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
I only liked the first one, it had some interesting ideas even if it was flawed. 2 and Legion were meh. Consensus is two is the best I believe though.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
WD2 is a ton of fun, I loved the environments, characters, and goofing off in MP. I am like 1/5 of the way into Legion and just have no desire to finish it. With no upgrades etc, the whole "recruit anybody" just means finding somebody with what you want and then jumping through hoops to make missions easier.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 is one of my favourite open world games for sure

Never played Legion

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
I'm one of the few people who actually really enjoyed Watch Dogs 1. The more mature and realistic tone was a great change from GTA and Saints Row, with some sub quests like the serial killer's really standing out.

That's why I was a little bit let down by Watch Dogs 2 and it's "hipster need followers to reveal the truth". And then there is this weird thing where the game encourage you to use non-lethal weapons... while giving you assault rifles at the same time. And from a tonal point of view, I did not see Marcus and co use those guns. And I know, nothing forced me to use them, but still, kinda weird.

But, the open world, wow. It's one of the best open world I had the pleasure to explore. The map is big, but not too big nor empty. The amount of stuff you can interact with is fantastic. Also, the options to do entire mission by staying in your car while your drone does the job was brilliant.

Then Legion. I had zero hype because of the weird "recruit anyone" thingy. But in the end, I simply played the game with characters I recruited and customized at the beginning and I must say, for random generated characters, they did a good job with the story cutscenes. The open-world is clearly a deception, with less interaction and a more boring map. I also really missed my specific drones from 2 (though the spider drone nod to WD1 was great), but at the same time, I really enjoyed some of the missions and the storyline goes place I did not expect. Some really sad and disturbing things happen for sure. And I really enjoyed for example being able to use my character to infiltrate some place because of her job, made some stuff really standing out.

Though I must say, I wish I would have waited for Aiden to be added to the game to use it as one of my characters, would have made the story a bit better, but well, as I said, I was already happily surprised.

So there is it. Watch Dogs is really a weird series right now, because across 3 games, it really change from tone, gameplay and story. I wish they would go back to a mix between 1 and 2 for the future.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know about Legion, but I really liked Watch Dogs 2 and thought it was a great game and even underrated.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
WD2 is a really good game, one of the best modern city open world games. You do need to suspend your disbelief if you down the lethal route (which I wouldn't recommend). Legion is mediocre at best, it's only saving grace is that their version of London is pretty good, but you probably won't appreciate that as much if you don't live here.

Legion also has some of the worst voice acting in any game I've played, they took about 10 typical accents you'd hear in London and amplified their corny-ness by 10000. Couldn't walk 5 meters without cringing, had to change the language.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
2 is the best of the bunch imo. There are some folks that think 2 is a bit of a step back in terms of combat mechanics (1 had very good shooting to be fair) but I think playing non-lethal in 2 was far more rewarding, makes you feel more like an actual hacker.

The story is pretty corny and far less dour than the 1st, although you may not jive with the sillier aspects of it. Also it's one of the best open worlds Ubi has ever done, near Rockstar levels of attention to detail.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
WD2 is the best game in that franchise and legit a great game all around. Legion is a nightmare built on a bad idea.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
2 is fantastic and the antithesis to pretty much every ubisoft open world game nowadays

the game is not just a checklist of icons on the map that you go between!

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
2 is Legit a fun game, with a great cast of characters. Prepare for it to be more light hearted than expected, and you won't be thrown off.

Didn't bother with Legion personally, I prefer a stronger story based experience.

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
I had a pretty gode time with WD2

I havnt played Legion or WD(1).

I would give WD2 a solid 7, there are fun to be made in that game.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Legion shit, WD2 amazing game

Loved WD2, Legion not so much.

I did not like 1. Had a great time with 2, fun characters and setting. Legion was a huge disappointment, 2 is way better.

Thought legion was bad.

Wd2 however one of my favorite open world games of the last generation and Marcus is a top 10 protagonist from that gen

Legion dogshit

WD2 best in the franchise
Literally all of the above

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Just kinda missed the discussion on these two games and am curious. Legion is currently $15 on Xbox and 2 is coming to Gamepass.

I found Watch Dogs 1 to be just flat and boring. But the few clips I've seen of these two seem more interesting at the very least.

WD2: Great world that feels alive. Certainly the best/diverse mission design within the franchise. It's just 900p tho (but 60 fps!)

Legion: I really enjoyed London thanks to the graphics and all the details. Ejoyed London the most out of those three cities. Problem is: Everything else is just flat out boring.

RodentBR

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Watch Dogs 2 is the best open world title ever made by Ubisoft.

Legion is a pile of junk that destroyed the franchise.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
*me having worked on Legion prepared to see posts how Legion is a flawed but unique experience that's worth trying out if that's your jam*

*5 minutes pass*

*reality crashes right into my face*

This is why it can be dangerous to read what people say about stuff one worked on, lol :D

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Legion is so cool in a technical perspective, it's impressive they managed to pull that system off where everyone is playable. But they struggled to utilize it in a way that leads to a very fun game imo.

2 is pretty fun.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
*me having worked on Legion prepared to see posts how Legion is a flawed but unique experience that's worth trying out if that's your jam*

*5 minutes pass*

This is why it can be dangerous to read what people say about stuff one worked on, lol :D

Wow that's really suck. Everyone tend to forget how hard the peoples who created games worked! :(
Like I written, I really enjoyed Legion, moreso than I expected! It was still a downgrade on many things, especially the open world and while it created interesting scenario and opportunities, the "recruit anyone" was flawed for sure!

But still, congrat! I'm happy to a have played the game!

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
WD2 has a really fun sandbox town, but I didn't like the cast.

Legion was a disappointment on all fronts.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 was great. One of my few platinums. I couldn't get enough of it.

Legion… eh. It felt a little soulless. I haven't played more than a couple hours.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017

*5 minutes pass*

I plan to give it more of a chance at some point, but not having a main character threw me off. It's great you all tried something unique though!

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
2 is good. Legion is ok in concept and a few of the levels are fun, but the open world is mostly dumb.

Also it had game breaking bugs that would fuck your save file when it launched so I lost progress of about 6 hours at one point and the game was not good enough to replay those sections.

GetLuffy

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 19, 2022
2 was interesting but outside of the cast the world, npc interaction, and mission structure just feel so soul less and disjointed (to me). Fun multiplayer though, dangitjim on youtube turned me on to it and it and i had a fun few weeks.

Legion I fell off fast. The gimmick wasn't enough, still has that ubi open world lack of soul, and the graphics felt off to me for some reason.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Watch Dogs 2 was amazing, so much better than the first game in every way. One of my favorite games of the PS4/Xbox One generation, one I replay every so often because I enjoy the characters, world, gameplay and story.

Legion was... interesting. A fine proof of concept but it feels like just that - a proof of concept or demo more than an actual game. I would love to see the systems expanded in a future game for PS5/Series X exclusively, but given the lukewarm reception of Legion, I figure the series is on ice for a while.

It's too bad, because they could really go interesting places with the world and gameplay of the franchise but they're not going to make any commentary too glaring, and after Legion underperformed i doubt they'll take any other big risks like that anytime soon.