• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing a lot of Tetris DS lately and it's really really fun. Been enjoying the touch modes and puzzle modes and the Nintendo IP integration is awesome.

So what's your favorite Tetris? I guess mine is still the gameboy version. It's too damn perfect

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tetris DX on the gameboy color has the most satisfying controls

Prunus

Sep 6, 2018
My favourite is Tetris Effect, the music and visuals are just perfect in my opinion. It's one of my favourite games of all time.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tetris DS, closely followed by Tetris Effect.

Very different games with different goals, and easily the ones I've sunk the most time into. Eventually 99 will overtake my Effect playtime, it's far too addictive. The Lumines-type skins in Effect combined with goodass Tetris is an excellent 'chill game' for me.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Tetris DS was pretty great, honestly. I remember the VS modes being surprisingly fun.

Tetris 99 is also great, though it's a very different thing.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Tetris Effect puts it all together and I love the new Zone mechanic, unquestionably my favorite. BUT I wish it did have some type of multiplayer component as well.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Tetris DS, but the answer should be a new version on Switch that has Tate mode, that just seems like a no brainer.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never played it before. Is it a retro game for older systems?
PS4. Has a great but totally unnecessary VR mode as well. Has songs, colors and visuals to match each level much like lumines. There is also an "effect" mode you can trigger once a meter fills to pause time and clear more lines than a Tetris would allow to get things like an octa-tetris.

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
Anything that is classic Tetris.

I really don't like modern Tetris (ability to hold pieces for later use, t-spins, pieces able to slide around for a little while after they land, etc).

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Tetris DS/Tetris Effect tied for Solo Play.
Tetris for PS3 from EA (Coop Tetris!) for multiplayer.
Tetris 99 for crazy.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
3. Tetris Effect
2. Tetris 99
1. Tetris DS

Tetris effect would be higher if the controls were just a tad tighter. Going from Tetris 99 to Effect kinda messed up my timing

Deleted member 20852

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tetris DS is the one I've played the most. Sadly I sold it (among many other brilliant game) during university when I was in dire need of money. It's the one I really learnt to play Tetris with even though I had obviously played it before.

I've been interested in Tetris Effect since its release, but can't justify owning too many versions of Tetris in addition to Tetris 99 and Puyo Puyo Tetris.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Dark1x did a great video on this. I believe the main conclusion was that Grand Master 3 is probably the best, but DS is also up there.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The multiplayer one on the TI83+. As it ws perfect for playing at school.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Probably that 15 dollar keychain that got me through high school.
The multiplayer one on the TI83+. As it ws perfect for playing at school.
Oh man, all my friends and I did when I was a Junior in High School in Calculus did was play Tetris on our calculators, lol. They all had 83's I think but I had an Ti82 so I remember it being an issue figuring out how to put it on mine instead of just copying from someonen else's calculator like everyone else seemed to do.

Tetris DS is probably my favorite. I've spent nights where I literally played it until like 5 in the morning.

Oct 27, 2017
Anything that is classic Tetris.

I really don't like modern Tetris (ability to hold pieces for later use, t-spins, pieces able to slide around for a little while after they land, etc).
vxhNoms.jpg

They're great, man. Watching high level play of games with the modern guidelines is sublime, thanks to the depth the revisions add. The older games are a snoozefest to watch. Not to shit on the skill that goes into it, but look at State of the Art NES Tetris play versus something like Puyo Puyo Tetris:

You can go crazy like that thanks to the newer guidelines.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
It's not a regular Tetris game and probably not even my favorite, but I'd like to use this opportunity to honor Tetrisphere. One the not so well known Nintendo64 gems. I also loved the soundtrack of it.

Best regular Tetris: Tetris DS

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Tetris DS is by far the best one, there's just so much charm to it that it's almost incomparable to other versions

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
My faves are Tetris GB/DX, Tetris Battle Gaiden, Tetris Plus, Tetris DS, TGM2+/3, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Tetris 99. Interested in Tetris Effect too but it needs to come to a platform I own first.

Best Tetris games that aren't really Tetris: Tetris Attack and Tetrisphere.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
The new tetris on n64 is a goddamn masterpiece

This! It introduced the Hold Block function! In addition, it had the brilliant brick-making mechanic to boost your score and attacks in multiplayer, which btw, was fun as hell with 4 players. PLUS it had an amazing soundtrack

Shoutouts to Tetrisphere and Tetris DS as well

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Came in here to rep The New Tetris, saw it already done. Good work, fellow people of taste. I miss Neil D. Voss every day.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
This! It introduced the Hold Block function! In addition, it had the brilliant brick-making mechanic to boost your score and attacks in multiplayer, which btw, was fun as hell with 4 players. PLUS it had an amazing soundtrack

Shoutouts to Tetrisphere and Tetris DS as well

Yep. Making gold and silver blocks for bonus lines was addicting as hell.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Tetris DS is still the best imo.
Tetris Effect is fantastic, but in a different way, and ultimately not as good as DS.
No idea for competitive Tetris because I'm not good enough to say there.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Original Tetris is in the ring for the top spot, but I have to say Tetris DS is one of the best iterations hands down. The strong majority of the rest can be casually tossed into the trash.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Grand Master 3 and Tetris DS are probably the best, but Tetris Effect is easily my personal favourite and probably the main one i'll go back to for the next decade or two.