• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I liked The Descent but after like 10 minutes of the tone change I got bored tbh

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I found Midsommar to be really boring that depended on its brief moments of intense gore to scare or shock the audience. Which is a shame because Hereditary is easily the most terrifying movie I've ever watched.

I mostly agree with this. Although, I never saw an audience react the way they did during the sex scene. People were hysterically, uncontrollably laughing in my screening. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

Oct 30, 2017
I was gonna try Midsommar but hearing its just a gore fest...I'm good.
That's the thing, it's not really a gore fest. It's a 2 and a half hour movie that has 4 or 5 scenes of gore. But, I wonder if Aster imagined that those scenes would be enough to keep the tension going. But it really didn't.

Midsommar is primarily a trippy psychological drama. At least, in comparison to what you'd imagine typical horror to be.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
It's not. Like, at all.
I mostly agree with this. Although, I never saw an audience react the way they did during the sex scene. People were hysterically, uncontrollably laughing in my screening. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

Not sure who to believe here lol

That's the thing, it's not really a gore fest. It's a 2 and a half hour movie that has 4 or 5 scenes of gore. But, I wonder if Aster imagined that those scenes would be enough to keep the tension going. But it really didn't.

Midsommar is primarily a trippy psychological drama. At least, in comparison to what you'd imagine typical horror to be.
Oh okay so its not even a "horror" movie then. Good to know before going in with different expectations.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hereditary is the first horror movie I've seen in a long time that was actively horrifying. It's not fun horror like The Conjuring and It movies, it's just pure unnerving. I love it.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
I assume everyone saying descent have watched the good Uk ending not the shit US one they release

Oct 30, 2017
There's literally only one gory scene in the entire movie so not sure what they're talking about.
The main instances I can think of were:

The two cult leaders jumping off the cliff
Mark's face cut off and attached to the guy that attacks Josh (plus Josh bleeding from the gash)
Simon turned inside out into a blood eagle
The closing scene in the barn

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The main instances I can think of were:

The two cult leaders jumping off the cliff
Mark's face cut off and attached to the guy that attacks Josh (plus Josh bleeding from the gash)
Simon turned inside out into a blood eagle
The closing scene in the barn
I forgot about
the blood eagle thing and the cut off face mask, although I dont think I even noticed the face mask when I watched the movie. I still think the opening of the movie is by far the most shocking and brutal and unsettling thing depicted though.
. The movie has a lot of issues (mainly people acting completely irrational and stupid for no reason) and is no Hereditary but it also has a lot of things it does really well and I would recommend it.

Oct 30, 2017
I forgot about
the blood eagle thing and the cut off face mask, although I dont think I even noticed the face mask when I watched the movie. I still think the opening of the movie is by far the most shocking and brutal and unsettling thing depicted though.
. The movie has a lot of issues (mainly people acting completely irrational and stupid for no reason) and is no Hereditary but it also has a lot of things it does really well and I would recommend it.
I will completely agree with you about the opening.
It is incredibly unsettling. The slow zoom in of the dead sister is legit the scariest part in the film to me. And then immediately followed by Pough's agonizing cries. Aster is some weird expert on directing his actors to appropriately mimic grief.

Damn, now that just makes me sad how much of a nosedive it seems to take immediately after the title card.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I loved 28 Days Later but the last third just doesn't work for me, typical of Danny Boyle.

The films that scared me the most aren't necessarily the "best" - the first Paranormal Activity and the last third of the original REC gave me legit fear.

The Descent and Eden Lake have been mentioned. Martyrs is some soul scarring stuff.

Overall I think I have to go with Hereditary. Not seen The Wailing though - need to sort that.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Hereditary for me, absolutely insane and really creeped me out.

I see midsommar being mentioned here a lot, i thought it was a 3/10 movie. Really didn't understand the hype and felt like a high school art project than a movie.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Lots of good stuff, but my mind keeps drifting back to The Witch, it was SO well done. Rec and Rec 2, The Descent, Dog Soldiers, Paranormal Activity, The Conjuring, It Follows, Troll Hunter (kind of stretching the definition of horror for that one, but there's genuine tension in it), Splinter, Don't Breathe, Krampus, Halloween, Crawl....too many others to list that I'm forgetting. There's a LOT of quality horror, of all kinds, that's been released in the last 20 years. Considering the genre was supposed to be dead in the 90s, it's had quite the resurgence.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
For me it's still 28 Days Later. Incredible cast and just a nerve-racking movie that I still watch at least once a year.
The scene where Jim enters the church and yells "hello" still sends chills down my spine almost 20 years later

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oie_211157bakxfl4jfrklw.jpg

Keric

Oct 28, 2017
Lot of good suggestions in this thread. Should help with the quarantine time.

One of my favorites that I haven't seen mentioned is The Orphanage.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TIL you have poor reading comprehension. I didn't say 'the past century' I said 'this century', as in the new century that we're in starting at 2000.

No, I'm right, and you know it.

If you meant since 2000, you should have said "in the last 20 years" and nobody, me or the other people ragging you about the wording, would have been confused. But you said "this century" which any reasonable person could have taken to mean "this past 100 years" which folks in this thread have all noted as a point of confusion. It sounds more grandiose using the word century, like we're having a historical discussion about the greater movements of an artform and not just debating the largely promotional merits of 21st century genre fare, one of the more volatile in terms of quality, at that.

But you don't ever give an inch in movie threads, even when pointed out by multiple people, and even went back pages through a thread to quote and assert your authority on subjective film matters that defy purpose.

You gave me exactly what I've come to enjoy about your threads, and this was no different. Never change.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm right, and you know it.

If you meant since 2000, you should have said "in the last 20 years" and nobody, me or the other people ragging you about the wording, would have been confused. But you said "this century" which any reasonable person could have taken to mean "this past 100 years" which folks in this thread have all noted as a point of confusion. It sounds more grandiose using the word century, like we're having a historical discussion about the greater movements of an artform and not just debating the largely promotional merits of 21st century genre fare, one of the more volatile in terms of quality, at that.

But you don't ever give an inch in movie threads, even when pointed out by multiple people, and even went back pages through a thread to quote and assert your authority on subjective film matters that defy purpose.

You gave me exactly what I've come to enjoy about your threads, and this was no different. Never change.
You're taking something very benign you misunderstood and making it disturbingly personal for some reason.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're taking something very benign you misunderstood and making it disturbingly personal for some reason.

And you're taking rather straightforward criticism as an opportunity to act like a victim by pretending that this is some kind of personal vendetta when, at best, it's gotta be some kind of incredible conspiracy because I found a way to make it a thing via the first response you got from another person within literally the first five posts of the thread.

You make the best movie threads, Sculli. The very best.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like "this century" is pretty straightforward in the same way that "today" doesn't mean the last 24 hours.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Evil Dead (2013)

It's my third favorite horror movie ever (behind Blair Witch Project and Scream). I've seen it a bunch of times and it always stays a masterpiece.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
And you're taking rather straightforward criticism as an opportunity to act like a victim by pretending that this is some kind of personal vendetta when, at best, it's gotta be some kind of incredible conspiracy because I found a way to make it a thing via the first response you got from another person within literally the first five posts of the thread.

You make the best movie threads, Sculli. The very best.
Acting like a victim because I corrected you? Or because I pointed out how weird you're acting over a grammatical disagreement? I don't feel like a victim at all here, dude. I just feel confused why somebody I don't know is apparently unloading pent-up baggage over it. Seek help.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
how dare you use "this century" and then expect people to know what that means. The fucking gall, honestly.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
lmao

My vote is for It Follows, even though the characters are kind of insufferable. That one scene really got me as well, you know the one.
It Follows is also maybe the only film apart from No Country For Old Men that gave me legit Terminator 1 vibes. That palpable sense of fear of this unknown threat that is drawing closer to you is unreal.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (7 days): hostility over multiple posts
Acting like a victim because I corrected you? Or because I pointed out how weird you're acting over a grammatical disagreement? I don't feel like a victim at all here, dude. I just feel confused why somebody I don't know is apparently unloading pent-up baggage over it. Seek help.

I can't tell which one of us is taking this seriously, anymore.

It's categorically impossible for you to wrap your head around the idea that I'm not the only one who has called you out on this. You could diffuse it right now by just admitting that you made a mistake, but like every single thread you make, you can do no wrong, and speak only the truth. I'm pretty sure that if I did share this with a therapist, they'd agree your inability to accept even constructive criticism based on easily referenced words of your own is striking, and the words "James Cameron" haven't even entered into the conversation, yet.

I'm taking the high road by choosing to recognize the pathology displayed as a quirk of your personality, and your flabbergasted notion that I am somebody you don't know as adorable given your documented history of making authoritative threads/posts on current events in filmmaking that I regularly chime in on. That's not weird, that's just participating in the same online forum. Pretty much everybody you interact with on here is somebody you don't know. You're the one using the words "disturbingly personal" to describe observations anybody who can read would make, and claiming that I'm "unloading pent-up baggage" when I fit the role of the regular, run-of-the mill commentator that challenges your rigid absolutism towards subjective value judgments in, oh, the vast majority of your history on Era.

Your threads are a hoot. Avatar sequels should have come out years ago. A lot of the directors you can't stop worshiping are only mortals standing on the shoulders of giants/armies of other collaborators, and most of their best work is far behind them. Your poorly worded title confused more than one person. Whether we're discussing horror of the last twenty years or five times that span of time, it's not a substantially distinct pair of conversations, anyway.

If you ignore me from here on out, that's unfortunate, but it won't stop me from enjoying your insecurities laid bare every couple of days when you get the bug up your ass to cook up an excuse to pontificate about cinema culture. This place wouldn't be the same without it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

It's categorically impossible for you to wrap your head around the idea that I'm not the only one who has called you out on this. You could diffuse it right now by just admitting that you made a mistake, but like every single thread you make, you can do no wrong, and speak only the truth. I'm pretty sure that if I did share this with a therapist, they'd agree your inability to accept even constructive criticism based on easily referenced words of your own is striking, and the words "James Cameron" haven't even entered into the conversation, yet.

I'm taking the high road by choosing to recognize the pathology displayed as a quirk of your personality, and your flabbergasted notion that I am somebody you don't know as adorable given your documented history of making authoritative threads/posts on current events in filmmaking that I regularly chime in on. That's not weird, that's just participating in the same online forum. Pretty much everybody you interact with on here is somebody you don't know. You're the one using the words "disturbingly personal" to describe observations anybody who can read would make, and claiming that I'm "unloading pent-up baggage" when I fit the role of the regular, run-of-the mill commentator that challenges your rigid absolutism towards subjective value judgments in, oh, the vast majority of your history on Era.

Your threads are a hoot. Avatar sequels should have come out years ago. A lot of the directors you can't stop worshiping are only mortals standing on the shoulders of giants/armies of other collaborators, and most of their best work is far behind them. Your poorly worded title confused more than one person. Whether we're discussing horror of the last twenty years or five times that span of time, it's not a substantially distinct pair of conversations, anyway.

If you ignore me from here on out, that's unfortunate, but it won't stop me from enjoying your insecurities laid bare every couple of days when you get the bug up your ass to cook up an excuse to pontificate about cinema culture. This place wouldn't be the same without it.
Mate get better with context clues and stop going on weirdly personal rants.

Considering cinema has barely been around for a century it's pretty clear what the thread meant even just by using the title alone.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I found Midsommar to be really boring that depended on its brief moments of intense gore to scare or shock the audience. Which is a shame because Hereditary is easily the most terrifying movie I've ever watched.

I thought they were both very forgettable. A24s horror output is just not for me at all.

But you said "this century" which any reasonable person could have taken to mean "this past 100 years" which folks in this thread have all noted as a point of confusion.

Any reasonable person clearly understands that he meant 2000-Onward. He's obviously not asking what the best horror movie is in virtually the entire history of cinema.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not ignoring you, my dude. And my not knowing who you are isn't something you should take personally. I don't remember a lot of posters on this forum because I don't post very often anymore (despite what you've written above).

I'm honestly just really puzzled why you're unloading a barrage of pent-up baggage over something as benign as a grammatical misunderstanding of yours. And yes, I recognise somebody else had the same misunderstanding. Why don't you see how they handled it once I clarified for them?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I guess the first person to respond to the thread is some freaky outlier, right? Along with all the times the title "Alien" appears.
Considering the first movie was just slightly over a century ago those people are also lacking in context clue skills lol

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any reasonable person clearly understands that he meant 2000-Onward. He's obviously not asking what the best horror movie is in virtually the entire history of cinema.

Why is the span of a century an unreasonable assumption? Universal was making monster movies since a century ago, easily. A thirty second search calls up the first being Phantom of the Opera in 1925. Don't really need a calculator or a degree in flim studies to understand that movie AND THE REST OF POPULAR HORROR FILMS IN CINEMA occurred in the hundred years between then and now.

I'm honestly just really puzzled why you're unloading a barrage of pent-up baggage over something as benign as a grammatical misunderstanding of yours. And yes, I recognise somebody else had the same misunderstanding. Why don't you see how they handled it once I clarified for them?

Your response to him is as hollow as your response to me about what you meant versus what was understood, but your response to me and my lack of reading comprehension sure seemed like you were looking to spar. Convenient that you're really puzzled now, don't let me get in the way of your cognitive dissonance.

Considering the first movie was just slightly over a century ago those people are also lacking in context clue skills lol

See above about Phantom of the Opera. There's lacking context clues, then there's just lacking the ability to use google.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Why is the span of a century an unreasonable assumption? Universal was making monster movies since a century ago, easily. A thirty second search calls up the first being Phantom of the Opera in 1925. Don't really need a calculator or a degree in flim studies to understand that movie AND THE REST OF POPULAR HORROR FILMS IN CINEMA occurred in the hundred years between then and now.

Your response to him is as hollow as your response to me about what you meant versus what was understood, but your response to me and my lack of reading comprehension sure seemed like you were looking to spar. Convenient that you're really puzzled now, don't let me get in the way of your cognitive dissonance.

See above about Phantom of the Opera. There's lacking context clues, then there's just lacking the ability to use google.
Yes I am aware that some horror movies came out before 1920. It's still the vast minority and it makes no sense to exclude such a small subset.