• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Have more than a few PS3 titles I'd love to go back to, but the OS and things such as Installs and other things are just ungodly slow. The system is using the same HDD since launch so I'm sure that's playing a part in it.

I don't really need a lot of space (250GB would be more than enough) nor something super expensive but I absolutely need something that'll make this this run even a little bit more smoother.

Now I know with the PS3 it won't actually get the full advantage of the SSD but more added that in the oft-chance someone recommends that route. Last time

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I used Sandisk SSDs in my old PS3s. Since they didn't take full advantage of the speeds, I just bought the cheap ones. 320GB way back then, and 500GB on the last couple of years. It really made a difference in the OS for sure.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
Anything cheap but reliable, honestly. If you can get a cheap 256 gig SSD, go for it I guess, but there isn't much of a speed difference from what I can remember. You can get a 250 GB Samsung SSD on Amazon for 50 bucks, but just for me personally, I'd just get a larger HDD and not have to worry about storage ever again.

Purslane

Jun 25, 2020
I have a Crucial BX-series in one and Kingston A400 in another, they seem to work fine. Any cheap one will do since PS3 can't take full advantage of them. Same as PS4 really.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Subscribing in hopes I find advice on the biggest size to get for my 60GB mode.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Had an old toshiba hybrid drive in mine for years now and it's been great.

But saying that most of my games are installed on a 2tb USB stick now since installing ps3hen

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming you all plan on continuing to keep your PS3's around for a long time to come (you've kept it this long after all..), I would avoid the cheapo $20-$30ish SSD's, spend a few extra bucks for a 250GB or 500GB Samsung 860 EVO, WD Blue, or Crucial MX500 in the $40-$60 range. The cheaper drives lack DRAM which could reduce their lifespan.

Subscribing in hopes I find advice on the biggest size to get for my 60GB mode.

1TB is the max the PS3 OS can support. Top tier 1TB Sata SSD's go for around $100 (see above)

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i got one of these a few months ago (Kingston 240GB SSD for $27). i prioritized price over size since i don't have that many PS3 games to play but i guess the 480GB model is a good price too.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
When I replaced the drive of my PS4 Pro a while back, I took the stock 1TB Toshiba that came out of it and put it in my PS3. Worked out well, I think.

mikezilla2

Oct 28, 2017

so will it read a drive thats 1.95 ? i have heard of people using drives that are far two big and not being able to use all the space but rather finding some of the installed games to simply cease working .....

my PS3 has an old WD blue HDD in it , about 930gbs of space total once formatted

im considering getting a SSD thats 1tb or more , one thing i noticed thats probably possible is taking a M.2 drive and putting it in to a a m.2 to sata ....

Dram seems to be pretty importent both for cache and the life of the drive but TLC might be a bad idea ....... ?

people have said the ps3 wont do garbage collection ?

im trying to figure out what SSD i should buy seems a few of them have 1gb of dram at least tho at of the suggested ones have far less or dont.

local prices for SSDs for point of refrnace a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
is about 300 bucks via amazon

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I put a 1TB WD Blue SSD in mine. It's a little faster but nothing mind blowing. They go on sale at Best Buy from time to time.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
the problem with some of these drives is when you Fill them right up its going to be slower than a regular HDD !

my HDD is almost full.

I don't have near 1TB of games, so that won't be a problem for me, at least not yet. I got a 1TB drive to kinda future proof myself in case I wanted to buy more PS3 games.