• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What’s the best Disney Animation Studio movie of recent times?

• Frozen

Votes: 60 7.3%
  • Wreck-It Ralph

Votes: 49 5.9%
  • Moana

Votes: 297 36.0%
  • Tangled

Votes: 185 22.5%
  • Zootopia

Votes: 184 22.3%
  • Big Hero 6

Votes: 33 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 1.9%

• Total voters

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Tangled for me, I still laugh are Maximus and cry at When Will My Life Begin every single time.

Super solid runners up at Moana and Wreck it Ralph. In particular, they are very colorful movies.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tangled probably, Moana and Zootopia are also very good and I'll always enjoy Wreck it Ralph.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Only one of these movies has Jemaine Clement, The Rock, and a scene inspired by Fury Road, along with the best female protag.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
really liked Zootopia, Moana and even Big Hero 6 had its moments.
I voted Zootopia for the theme, but actually preferred Moana

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
I voted for Moana. Objectively, I think it's the best one they've put out.

But I do find myself re-watching Wreck-It Ralph more often.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's Tangled

The songs, the cast, the ending, all fantastic.

Honestly surprised to Moana on top here. I liked it, but it didn't blow me away.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
If we're talking the 2010's-2019 specifically, then Winnie the Pooh should be on there

Secondly, it's Zootopia. Tangled, Moana, and the Frozens all show levels of technical mastery in that classical Disney renaissance style, but they aren't fresh in the way the renaissance movies were, because they're renaissance movies. Wreck-It Ralph is a great blending of tons of different styles of animations and art and fan service without feeling excessive, but Ralph Breaks the Internet misses the entire beat with that and falls flat and comes out as the worst of the entire era. Big Hero 6 is a superhero movie during breakthrough of Marvel's Phase One (Avengers had just come out), so like, awesome collaboration, but not super new.

Zootopia creates a whole, brand new fully fleshed world, wraps it in a buddy cop comedy, and layers that shit with every theme you could think of. Sure the themes are on the nose a bit, but it's also a world full of cartoon animals living in a city built for them to coexist. A city that, every time I watch this (which has been twice) I see something brand new about how the city functions. It's been so well constructed that it feels like a real city. One of the coolest sci-fi worlds I've seen. Though there are some questions (the skunk rug brings up some very ugly and disturbing questions) it's a movie where I have no problem asking them.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I see a bunch of films on that list that had a lot of potential and mostly blew it.

Moana nailed it though.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
header.jpg
This movie is weird as shit. Like just weird.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Having seen all of these movies, some of them many more times than I would prefer, the definitive ranking is:

1. Moana - best songs, best themes, gorgeous
2. Zootopia - Often times genuinely funny, an actual movie plot. The only one on this list I like to watch just as a movie and not as kid's stuff.
3. Frozen - Big standout performance with a couple very good songs, then some clunkers and one big rock troll shaped turd. Story is barely there.
4. Wreck it Ralph - my kid still says "I'm BAD GUY." all the time. John C. Reilly's soliloquy to kick off the movie is wonderful. Story goes off the rails.
5. Tangled - I know folks love it, but I'm hard pressed to recall a single song. Pretty basic Disney story beats, though it is kind of fucked up that the hero's "mom" is the bad guy. Feel like that's a pretty heavy thing that doesn't get appropriately resolved.
6. Big Hero Six - paint by numbers comic book movie. Cool visual effects but not much else.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched 30 minutes of Moana and was bored out of my mind, I may have to give it another shot.

Wreck it Ralph for me.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
It's easily Moana for me. What a gorgeous film, a technical masterpiece and an artistic triumph. Damn near every frame is magical. Charming characters. A climax that chokes me up to this day even though I have seen it about 50 times (I wept openly when we watched it two days after Christmas). And dare I say, the greatest Disney soundtrack of all time? I think so. I still listen to those tracks. I don't think there is a bad one in the bunch (except mayyyyybe Shiny).

I love Tangled and Frozen as well. Tangled is funnier than Moana. Frozen has the best single track in Let It Go but the rest of the songs can't touch Moana's. Any of these movies can rival the renaissance films, that's a hell of an accomplishment.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Toss up between Moana and Zootopia (or Zootropolis should I say in english english)
I think Zoo is probably the better movie taken as is, but Moana is banger central and that does some mighty heavy lifting for me.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Tangled
Moana
Big Hero 6
Zootopia
Frozen
Wreck it Ralph

in that order

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Tangled. Zootopia is a close #2 though. Moana is #3, and probably could have been higher if it had a stronger antagonistic force.

Wreck It Ralph 1 and Princess and the Frog round out my top 5.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Frozen. Saw it at a Q&A with the directors a week before it was released and overtook the world, so the hype and disdain for the over-saturation of Let It Go didn't play into my thoughts towards it when going in to watch it, which I'm sure happened to a large portion of people. Tangled is a close second.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
I think Tangled, Moana, and Zootopia are all a close 1-2-3 for me. As others have said, definitely check out the Winnie-The-Pooh movie though - it's beautifully animated and shockingly funny. Couple good songs as well. Probably the last hand-drawn Disney movie ever 😢 .

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know which one's the best, but I do know that Princess and the Frog has the best villain of the lot.

Last edited:

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
My personal favorite is Wreck It Ralph mainly because of the video game premise but if I had to choose the best film it would have to be Moana with Big Hero 6 and Zootopia tied for 2nd.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
So glad to see Moana winning. When it and Zootopia came out the same year, I thought the latter was the better film. But Moana has stuck with me more. There's some incredible moments in the latter half of the film that gave me chills, and the music is top-notch.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
ac99de560c3ba6b29d3628d2a2506c78b06e4960.gifv

The one that never fails to give me goosebumps every time.

Moana is the only Disney film since their golden age Mermaid - Lion King that reaches the same height. Probably even surpasses some of them I dunno.

It's infinitely rewatchable (and I'm a father of three so I've infinitely rewatched most of these), frequently a piece of art in motion and the soundtrack is a bop from start to finish.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It's probably Moana. I'm glad to see the tide turn (no pun intended) on that movie. At first, I don't think people liked it that much... the songs are pretty fun, the characters work really well, and the animation really holds up.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I've only seen Frozen, Tangled, and Wreck-It-Ralph, but of those I'd easily choose Frozen. Tangled felt like a pretty straight-forward, no frills Rapunzel adaptation, and Wreck-It-Ralph is kind of corny and really should have resonated with me more given how laser targeted it felt towards my demographic. Frozen has fun characters, banger tracks, and a genuine message about love. I suspect it could be something I haven't seen yet, like Moana, though.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Moana can go toe-to-toe with Disney from any era, never mind the modern ones. Easily the strongest.
Frozen is patchy but the high points are very high. Same for Frozen 2.
Tangled is let down by the songs but a very solid film otherwise.
Big Hero 6 is severely underappreciated. Has a really strong take on managing grief.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Fully expected to be in the minority with Moana. More than happy to be wrong! May be my favorite Disney musical in all honesty. Listen to the soundtrack at least once a month.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Moana, then Tangled. Really close to Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast to me.