• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I have 2 big events that really made my life better:

- Getting married to my wife (best person ever, one of the easiest decisions in my life).

- Joining the military (military life can suck hard and there's a lot of BS you have to go through but it gave some structure and discipline that I sorely needed.If I never joined I would probably be homeless in PR or have no idea what I would be doing with my life

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
- Dropping out of university when I first went. Went back a year later, met my wife, and everything for the last 14 years followed.
- Asking the IT department at my work if I could do a bit of work experience with a view to moving roles. 4 years later I'm a full stack web developer instead of an underpaid lab technician. 9/10 times I would not have had the courage to do that, so I'm not sure what made me do it!

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Finishing my Bachelors program. Getting married. Made sure not to alienate my family even after moving 14k miles from my homeland.

Evo Shandor

Oct 29, 2017
Getting married to my wife. We're a team and we have goals and build towards them. When we bought our house, we felt like the luckiest people in the world.

Going back to school and diversifying my educational background. My original degree was in English with a minor in Linguistics. Going back for Accounting and Business has made me way more attractive as an employee and given me the skill set I need to run my own business.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I try to look at my life like that I can never really come up with anything. It always feels like my life is one small decision after the other that was built up over time. For example, I ended up in University via community college via night school via dropping out of high school.

I've had two big life changes in the last year and a half, my girlfriend and my job. I don't want to jinx the job by announcing it's been a big life change as I've only been there a year, who knows if I'll fuck it up. The girlfriend has been a super positive impact in my life, but again, I don't even know how I got her so I'm just thankful in general I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Going to therapy. Everyone should do it, even if you don't think you have any issues. Therapy is self-improvement beyond anything else. Do it!

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Going to France instead of USA for my higher education.
I figured out I much prefer Europe.
(I come from a third world country)

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Me and my wife would someday like to move out of the US, what would be good places to live?

Furfur

Alt account
Banned
Aug 5, 2019
Honestly I can't really think of any good decisions I've made in my life, just bad ones.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
Marrying my wife.
Pushing through to finish my BA despite crippling depression and anxiety holding me back.
edit: also leaving the US

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
Changing from an education to chemistry major at college. If I was a teacher I wouldn't have the nice life I have now, really dodged a bullet there.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
making a lot of money so my wife and kid are set financially if anything ever happened to me

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Going to college by far. It allowed me to get out of poverty and live a pretty great life.

Oct 28, 2017
I was a high school dropout with no GED.

Joining the Navy was the single best thing I could have done for my life
and the fact that I was accepted to college, had a Top Secret Clearance and still didn't have a HS Diploma or a GED was a testment of doing it my way.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I would have to say the military. It did have a profound effect on me and has helped me later on in life.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The summer before I started high school when I decided I was actually going to start giving a fuck about my grades since I barely passed 8th grade. I honestly don't know where I'd be had I not made that commitment, but I damn sure wouldn't be as successful as I am today.

Second best would be a tie between marrying my wife and moving to Colorado on a whim.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing really stands out. Mostly a long series of mediocre to poor decisions and indecision.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Moving out of Florida cross country right after college. Dragged my then girlfriend now wife out with me.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
It was honestly joining the Navy. Lots of work sure, but also lots of fun. Saw and did so many things I never would've had the chance to do otherwise, and on top of it all now I have a GI Bill to use for school.

Some part of me thinks that I should've stuck it out another decade and retire, but most of me knew that's not what I wanted to do. Only time will tell if not staying in was the right decision or not, so far it's working out fine.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Quickly abandoning the notion of police work.

I've made a shit-ton of important decisions these last 2 years--we'll soon see if any of them pay off.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being a good worker at a Kohl's department store ended up getting me a job at a big oil & gas company 10 years later, which lead to my current accounting job which I love.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Asking my now wife for her phone number.
Starting a small business based off passion instead of money.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Taking a driving course. I learned to drive late in life because my parents never had time to teach me, I moved out pretty early and certainly couldn't afford a vehicle while living on my own. Since I'd waited so long I'd built it up in my head a lot and I was very nervous. But the instructor was great, he not only helped me get over that nervousness he ingrained a lot of habits into me. Such as making sure to physically turn my head to look before changing lanes. If I'd learned exclusively from my parents I might not have developed that habit (they don't always do it) and it's saved me multiple times. Especially when I moved to Toronto which is a much harder place to drive than the small Northern Ontario town I'm from.

Going to the dentist for the first time in like 15 years was probably a close second. I was terrified of what they'd find and figured it'd cost an insane amount of money since I'd waited so long. But nah, few visits and a couple hundred bucks after benefits and we're good to go.

Things like going back to school never really felt like a choice to me. That was something I had to do because manual labor was destroying my body. I wasn't getting more fit by doing it, my feet alone were in such bad shape I could barely walk by the end of the week and it felt like I could never heal up enough by Monday. Moving out right after high school, again, wasn't really presented to me as a choice. Paying rent to my parents and having a 2 hour commute vs being able to walk or bike to work. But those were my two most pivotal decisions in life and both worked out mostly okay.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Hard to pin down a single one. I have had many pivotal moments in my life where I had to navigate make or break choices. The easy answer is that I married my wife and that we chose to have kids. Both have resulted in a life of stability, happiness, and unconditional love which forms the foundation of who I am. Career, money, hobbies, travel, and material things are all well and good, but without that foundation they would ring hollow to me. Having all of the above makes me feel like the luckiest man on the planet. The life I have built for myself and my family fills me with immense pride and satisfaction. At the same time, I am grateful for the life I have worked hard towards and deserve. But even though I have earned this life, I am still humbled by the willingness and sacrifices of my loved ones to help me achieve it.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
- Trying extra hard to win the heart of my (now almost 24 years!) girlfriend.
- To try and have a child with her. It took us a while but we now have the best 11 year old son i could wish for.
- Buying a Mac when i just finished school so i could start designing and make illustrations in Adobe software.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
My lifestyle is kinda boring and uneventful so I'm not sure there's any one thing I did that made my life significantly better (possibly, but I won't know until months or even years from now), but as I get older I realize there's definitely tons of stuff I never did that could have potentially made it worse.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Taking a semester off of school to get a job and then going back to school.

Working out has had a crazy effect on my confidence and self worth. Not to mention attention from women.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Marrying my partner.

Letting go of toxic friendships. It's hard to do when it's been very long term, but sometimes it's the right thing to do.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
- Sticking with college despite the overwhelming life events working against me.
- Taking the risk and meeting with a girl who reached out to me on MySpace. Been together for 11 years, married for almost 3.
- Quitting my retail job to focus on college.
- Rescuing my family's dog and giving him a stress free environment until he passed away.
- Rescuing my current pups.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
DMing my now girlfriend after not talking to her for 7 years (we went to high school together).

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I had cherry jam and Nutella spread on a pancake and suddenly I had the cinnamon powder in my hand and I wasn't sure if it would be too much and ruin everything

It wasn't AAAHHHH YEAAAHHH