• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kodros

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I get that kids can be outside when it rains, but there's just stuff you can't do. We take our son to the park every day. We're not gonna have him crawl around in wet sand or go down flooded slides. Our apartment is too small for him to be entertained just staying in all day every day.

Yes, that stuff you won't be able to do but being able to go for hikes during winter and not freeze your ass off is fantastic. We'd do a bunch of hikes, walk around the zoo, go to museums, etc... a lot. I mean, look at the weather, it's going to be in the low 50's for the next two weeks. Also, a "rainy" day typically means that it drizzles a little bit in the morning and that's it.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
It really does rain a lot, but the summer makes it worth it.

If I had complaints it'd be the price of living here is stupid, and while Seattle has great mass transit, the East side (redmond/bellevue, etc.) could do a lot better in this area. Also, I have not been impressed by the food here at all (ESPECIALLY MEXICAN).

But it's fucking beautiful here. I didn't know trees grew this big.

I liked Tacos Chukis somewhere on or near capital hill when I visited.
Seattle is also home to the best döner I've had outside of Germany. That was in or near Pioneer Square.
I enjoyed Fremont Brewery for beer.
Seafood was really high quality. Visting from a landlocked, post-industrial city (Pittsburgh), I really appreciated the fish and oysters.
And then on the plus side, Pittsburgh actually gets more rain than Seattle, so I felt like I got a break there!

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
As a lifelong native, I'd recommend getting the fuck out of downtown and visiting the neighborhoods. That will give you the full Seattle experience.
As someone who's lived here for over a decade, I completely agree.

Seattle's awful downtown leaves a bad impression on tourists who aren't used to venturing outside of downtown of wherever they're visiting. All the neighborhoods are where it's at, whether you're a tourist, temporary resident, or moving her permanently.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
As someone who's lived here for over a decade, I completely agree.

Seattle's awful downtown leaves a bad impression on tourists who aren't used to venturing outside of downtown of wherever they're visiting. All the neighborhoods are where it's at, whether you're a tourist, temporary resident, or moving her permanently.

This comes up all the time with people who are staying downtown and the farthest they plan on moving out of that bubble is the Space Needle.

Go to the Ballard Locks, Discovery Park and Golden Gardens, walk the Green Lake loop. Take a run through the Arboretum. Hang out on the beach at Carkeek. Take a Water Taxi to Alki and then head up California Ave. Hit the University Farmers Market on Saturday or the Capitol Hill one on Sunday. Go to Georgetown. Walk around Fremont and Wallingford. Go to the International District, check out Seward Park, Central District and Columbia City. That's Seattle.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Tacos Chukis somewhere on or near capital hill when I visited.
Seattle is also home to the best döner I've had outside of Germany. That was in or near Pioneer Square.
I enjoyed Fremont Brewery for beer.
Seafood was really high quality. Visting from a landlocked, post-industrial city (Pittsburgh), I really appreciated the fish and oysters.
And then on the plus side, Pittsburgh actually gets more rain than Seattle, so I felt like I got a break there!
The Seattle area benefits from being in a rain shadow. Go outside the rain shadow and it's going to be much wetter like where I am (Olympia). Another thing is at least in Pittsburgh the rain is spread evenly throughout the year and I'm sure you guys get lots of thunderstorms(one thing I miss from the east coast). Here, thunderstorms are very rare as the summers are super dry and when it does eventually start to rain come fall it can go on for weeks at a time.

Oct 25, 2017
This comes up all the time with people who are staying downtown and the farthest they plan on moving out of that bubble is the Space Needle.

Go to the Ballard Locks, Discovery Park and Golden Gardens, walk the Green Lake loop. Take a run through the Arboretum. Hang out on the beach at Carkeek. Take a Water Taxi to Alki and then head up California Ave. Hit the University Farmers Market on Saturday or the Capitol Hill one on Sunday. Go to Georgetown. Walk around Fremont and Wallingford. Go to the International District, check out Seward Park, Central District and Columbia City. That's Seattle.
Don't forget Dicks! (It's a restaurant for those unfamiliar lol)

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
Left So Cal for Seattle and been here for just over a year, I live walking distance to the international district. I think it's an okay place, there's always something going on and it's fairly easy to get around. Having to drive to Federal Way to visit a Del Taco is an absolute crime, however.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Left So Cal for Seattle and been here for just over a year, I live walking distance to the international district. I think it's an okay place, there's always something going on and it's fairly easy to get around. Having to drive to Federal Way to visit a Del Taco is an absolute crime, however.

There's one in Shoreline, definitely quicker to get to with the viaduct closed.

edit: Nevermind, I guess it closed.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
There's one in Shoreline, definitely quicker to get to with the viaduct closed.

edit: Nevermind, I guess it closed.

There's a place in capitol hill called Rancho Bravo or something, across the street from that big soccer field, it's a pretty good replacement. For burgers, I usually go to Happy Grillmore or if I'm down the hill, Great State by Uwajimaya. So there are alternatives, but the one time I did go to Del Taco since I got here, I went apeshit and ate like $17 of Del Taco...

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
There's a place in capitol hill called Rancho Bravo or something, across the street from that big soccer field, it's a pretty good replacement. For burgers, I usually go to Happy Grillmore or if I'm down the hill, Great State by Uwajimaya. So there are alternatives, but the one time I did go to Del Taco since I got here, I went apeshit and ate like $17 of Del Taco...

There's a Great State not that far from me behind University Village. Good stuff, but I'm honestly fine with Dicks. Jak's has a killer burger, btw.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
The Seattle area benefits from being in a rain shadow. Go outside the rain shadow and it's going to be much wetter like where I am (Olympia). Another thing is at least in Pittsburgh the rain is spread evenly throughout the year and I'm sure you guys get lots of thunderstorms(one thing I miss from the east coast). Here, thunderstorms are very rare as the summers are super dry and when it does eventually start to rain come fall it can go on for weeks at a time.
I can certainly believe that about Olympia. As far as Pittsburgh goes, surprisingly, it's as gray and gloomy in the Burgh. Good thunderstorms are nice, but I feel like we've been getting them less in recent years. Maybe a couple a year

Per World Atlas

The Cloudiest Cities in the United States

Rank City State Annual Hours of Sunlight
1 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 2,021.30
2 Anchorage Alaska 2,061.20
3 Seattle Washington 2,169.70
4 Columbus Ohio 2,182.60

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
There's a Great State not that far from me behind University Village. Good stuff, but I'm honestly fine with Dicks. Jak's has a killer burger, btw.

I was kind of middling on Dicks although the shake I had was just what I was looking for that day. I'll have to try Jak's if I'm ever up that way, it's rare that I venture north of Capitol Hill, these days. I need to find a good brazil bbq place sometime, as well.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I was kind of middling on Dicks although the shake I had was just what I was looking for that day. I'll have to try Jak's if I'm ever up that way, it's rare that I venture north of Capitol Hill, these days. I need to find a good brazil bbq place sometime, as well.

They've got locations in West Seattle, Laurelhurst, Green Lake and Issaquah.

Oct 25, 2017
I can certainly believe that about Olympia. As far as Pittsburgh goes, surprisingly, it's as gray and gloomy in the Burgh. Good thunderstorms are nice, but I feel like we've been getting them less in recent years. Maybe a couple a year

Per World Atlas

The Cloudiest Cities in the United States

Rank City State Annual Hours of Sunlight
1 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 2,021.30
2 Anchorage Alaska 2,061.20
3 Seattle Washington 2,169.70
4 Columbus Ohio 2,182.60

Yeah I've hear Pittsburgh is pretty bleak. Summers here are also much sunnier than there and most places on the east coast which helps. I'm also taking it those are for major cities over a certain population because off the top of my head Forks, Wa for instance gets 1530hrs
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forks,_Washington#Geography_and_climate
And Juneau, Ak
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneau,_Alaska#Climate
Coastal PNW/BC/SE Alaska are gonna be bleak and super rainy as they are proper oceanic climates and mountainous terrain.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
Yeah I've hear Pittsburgh is pretty bleak. Summers here are also much sunnier than there and most places on the east coast which helps. I'm also taking it those are for major cities over a certain population because off the top of my head Forks, Wa for instance gets 1530hrs
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forks,_Washington#Geography_and_climate
And Juneau, Ak
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneau,_Alaska#Climate
Coastal PNW/BC/SE Alaska are gonna be bleak and super rainy as they are proper oceanic climates

It probably is. And yikes to 1500 hours. That's crazy

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I've lived in the Midwest, south, California and the East coast. People were just as personable in Seattle as elsewhere.

I was only there for an internship and what I never got used to is the presence of Mt. Ranier always in the distance. It's truly a site to behold.

The public transit system does indeed rock. Lots of good eats spread out all over too. I'd definitely live there again.

You're also correct that it's a very white city. It's not the cultural melting pot you'd get elsewhere, but there's plenty of Asian culture there if that interests you.

IN confused by people who think the transit rocks. Granted I'm in Lynwood but compared to having to use mass transit it atlanta to travel from dunwoody (kinda similar to Atlanta as lynnwood to seattl) it is awful!!! Maybe it's fine within the city but then good luck affording within the city. Hell to use it to go to everett from here, a 13 minute drive by car, going from a park and ride walking distance from my house to everett mall I have to take three busses, walk a block between two stops and it takes an hour at best!

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
IN confused by people who think the transit rocks. Granted I'm in Lynwood but compared to having to use mass transit it atlanta to travel from dunwoody (kinda similar to Atlanta as lynnwood to seattl) it is awful!!! Maybe it's fine within the city but then good luck affording within the city.

Transit in the city itself is really nice but definitely a mixed bag outside. I'm psyched for Roosevelt Station to open less than a five minute walk from my house in roughly 2 years. I've waited 10 years, I can wait two more!

And also, Lynwood Station opens at the same time.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Transit in the city itself is really nice but definitely a mixed bag outside. I'm psyched for Roosevelt Station to open less than a five minute walk from my house in roughly 2 years. I've waited 10 years, I can wait two more!

And also, Lynwood Station opens at the same time.
Pretty sure it's 2024 now for anything North of Roosevelt (not sure if Roosevelt is delayed too.)

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Do it, OP. Take on the adventure. The weather won't bug you that much, unless you dwell on it. There are like 4 million people in the metro area. You're going to be able to find people to associate with.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
plane-taking-off.jpg