• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The opposite could also be true.

Just sayin.

That's why I literally said "I've seen". I didn't insist that was the be-all-end-all truth for everybody.

Do I need to take out that post so this weird line of accusations about my own personal experience can stop? I halfway just wanted to humorously include the second comic (not sure why Era included the first one as well like that, some attempt at context I guess).

Okay, yeah, people are getting weird about this. I'm out.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I literally said "I've seen". I didn't insist that was the be-all-end-all truth for everybody.

Do I need to take out that post so this weird line of accusations about my own personal experience can stop? I halfway just wanted to humorously include the second comic (not sure why Era included the first one as well like that, some attempt at context I guess).

Okay, yeah, people are getting weird about this. I'm out.

Haha get shown proof and need to back out. Nice

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, you won the Era argument, over the thing I was literally not arguing. Pop the streamers, etc.

This site gets so weird sometimes.
????? U said to the poster that maybe only in his circle people talked more about ps5 .he went and showed u Google analytics for past day and it's not even close which is proof of the opposite of what u said.then u proceed to call him weird .What's happening ? Lool

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care and even appreciated how Cerny casually dropped the information. Some people are still way too emotionally invested in big events and presentations stemming from the old days when you'd have +/- "big" 5 presentations at events a year.

????? U said to the poster that maybe only in his circle people talked more about ps5 .he went and showed u Google analytics for past day and it's not even close which is proof of the opposite of what u said.then u proceed to call him weird .What's happening ? Lool
lol yeah his initial post threw me off seeing as even mainstream media in my country is reporting about this, hell, I've seen big instagram pages which had nothing to do with gsming report about this.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
like i said in a similar thread some time ago... what is there for sony to really "say"? ps4 is wrapping up, you know about whatever games are remaining barring a few possible curve balls. obvs they aren't ready for a ps5 rollout yet (admittedly the Wired unveil was a little odd, though i can see why they'd just want to throw the technical info out there just to get it over with, no more wringing of the hands over BC and all that)

it's important to have a rapport with "the community" but sometimes there's not much 'there' there, and that's okay

Last edited:

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
like i said in a similar thread some time ago... what is there for sony to really "say"? ps4 is wrapping up, you know about whatever games are remaining barring a few possible curve balls. obvs they aren't ready for a ps5 rollout yet (admittedly the Wired unveil was a little odd, though i can see why they'd just want to throw the technical info out there just to get it over with, no more wringing of the hands over BC and all that)

it's important to have a rapport with "the community" but sometimes there's not much 'there' there, and that's okay

I want a sit-down face-to-face meeting with Shuhei, Layden and Cerny. I want to know exactly what's going on. I won't be satisfied until I get ANSWERS!

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Secondly, they've just shared significant information about their next gen console - the PS5 obviously - in an interview with Wired. And we're not talking about vision only, but specific specs details from Mark Cerny of all people. Those information outlined in Wired are not that far away from the level of PS4 specs details revealed during the February 2013 Sony event in New York. Why revealing so many details in that fashion ? Wouldn't an event or a press conference be a better way ?

So what do you think about Sony's communication lately ( since md 2018 pretty much ) ? Is this part of a new communication strategy ? Is this working How do you feel about it ?

Please discuss.

Lol, are you serious? Go watch that event again, we have barely gotten info yesterday compared to the PS4 reveal.

PS4 reveal: actual name of the console, screens of the UI, social features and capabilities, detailed tech specs like Tflops, RAM and clock speeds, engine and game demos.
Yesterday we got some outlines of the new gen as a sneak peak, hardly comparable. But don't worry, you'll get your press conference event.

Its natural that they are quiet now. They are in the last phase of a console cycle and they are also in a software lull post Spider-Man.

Days Gone is this month, Dreams ea just released on PSN.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like they're trying to do their best to remove any excitement and enthusiasm regarding most of their actions.

I couldn't find a less exciting way to announce those things than an interview (which is not even saying that much), not to mention their complete lack of communication regarding what comes next and their non involvment at E3 is really not helping my anticipation regarding Playstation. I can't really remember the last time I was so apathetic towards it.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
Why do people on this site go in to panic mode when a corporation doesn't "talk to them" for over 2 weeks? It's been clear for some time that Sony's coming to the end of their generation. The last aces in their hole are GoT, TLOU2 and DS and then it's the PS5 (which could potentially come out at the end of next year).

Any communication they release in the next 12 months will surely be met with "But where is insert x game?!" or "What about PS5!!!" so I don't really blame them for staying quiet.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people on this site go in to panic mode when a corporation doesn't "talk to them" for over 2 weeks? It's been clear for some time that Sony's coming to the end of their generation. The last aces in their hole are GoT, TLOU2 and DS and then it's the PS5 (which could potentially come out at the end of next year).

Any communication they release in the next 12 months will surely be met with "But where is insert x game?!" or "What about PS5!!!" so I don't really blame them for staying quiet.

lol

It's crazy how many concern threads we got since they didn't have PSX last year. Sony is in auto pilot trying to wrap things up and silently preparing for next gen. This article was a good reminder they're still there, but even then there are still concerns lol.

Feels like they're trying to do their best to remove any excitement and enthusiasm regarding most of their actions.

I couldn't find a less exciting way to announce those things than an interview (which is not even saying that much), not to mention their complete lack of communication regarding what comes next and their non involvment at E3 is really not helping my anticipation regarding Playstation. I can't really remember the last time I was so apathetic towards it.
You barely got any info and maybe it's best to ask yourself "if they're announcing this in a magazine, what cool things are they holding back when I get my precious press conference?".

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You barely got any info and maybe it's best to ask yourself "if they're announcing this in a magazine, what cool things are they holding back when I get my precious press conference?".

Sure but then you wonder when you might hear more about that and there's no info. There's no point in coming, dropping a couple of infos and then peacing out into the sunset, that's not how you build momentum around your brand.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always surprised when people communicating online instantly with people all over the globe are surprised that a company isn't sticking to 'traditional' means of communication now and in the future.

The Wired article gets information out instantly, before MS talks about their product and reaches everyone that cares about a future console in 2019 right away. It cost them nothing and achieved the result they wanted. Every site that matters is covering it. Its all over social media. It has saturated gaming discussion today and probably for the near future on sites like this and for the 'core' gamer who is apt to purchase a console on Day 1.

The sooner this industry gets away from E3, the better. I'll miss the spectacle and the Hype™ but I won't miss overstuffed press conferences filled with fake footage and announcements years and years sooner than they should be just to 'win' a press conference.

State of Play is a good step forward for them and better than how they've normally announced stuff.

+1, good post.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sure but then you wonder when you might hear more about that and there's no info. There's no point in coming, dropping a couple of infos and then peacing out into the sunset, that's not how you build momentum around your brand.
Sony has better idea on how to make momentum around their home consoles .4 of top 5 best selling home consoles of all time are PlayStations.so give them benefit of the doubt ?

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Getting some important infos like PS4 and PSVR BC before the full reveal is imo a very good tactic.

You may think so now but was it really going to impact them in anyway if that was revealed during a full reveal? How is it better to know it know, especially since we don't know the full extent of it?

Sony has better idea on how to make momentum around their home consoles .4 of top 5 best selling home consoles of all time are PlayStations.so give them benefit of the doubt ?

Most of the key figures from those campaigns are no longer working within Playstation though.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I have to agree the the whole announcement via Wired was really weird, but then again I assume they don't have any software/services to show right now hence why there isn't a E3 show either.

I just wish they did a video with Mark and released it on their official fronts instead of using Wired

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You may think so now but was it really going to impact them in anyway if that was revealed during a full reveal? How is it better to know it know, especially since we don't know the full extent of it?

Most of the key figures from those campaigns are no longer working within Playstation though.
those are always changing but vision is what matters and they have that nailed down so dont worry. world wide PS is going to do well regardless of the employees as gamers like their vision of having semi strong console that can play all 3rd party games from around the world and amazing 1st party titles. now they want to lock in their ps4 base with BC which was a great move to announce now adn give their base ease of mind about their purchases .

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
those are always changing but vision is what matters and they have that nailed down so dont worry. world wide PS is going to do well regardless of the employees as gamers like their vision of having semi strong console that can play all 3rd party games from around the world and amazing 1st party titles. now they want to lock in their ps4 base with BC which was a great move to announce now adn give their base ease of mind about their purchases .

Just because they will do well doesn't mean that their communication is actually good.

Also what is that vision exactly? Because I don't particularly see it.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I think Kodera was the problem, and that's why they promoted Ryan

Yesterday's move was a stroke of genius

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think they have just been a bit quiet as they are in the transition between gens. I'd they were talking all they would be found is repeating what we mostly know for PS4.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Tuesday was prime example why Sony is boss. The global world was on alert. I hope they continue with this business strategy for years to come.

A desperate person talks too much.

A don grinds in silence.
Sony just did talk a lot indeed. Makes me wonder how confident they are about their upcoming product.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
We have had some of the most spectacular E3 conferences from sony before 2018.

E3 2018 was honestly a bit lackluster, so I do not mind the approach for this year. Letting things cook, and then create one big hype moment when they are ready. However is there going to be psx? If so cant wait :)

I can just imagine it: TLOU2/Ghost of tsushima/ Death stranding/ Horizon 2/ GOW 2 ....

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony just did talk a lot indeed. Makes me wonder how confident they are about their upcoming product.
PS4 was revealed before X1 and we all know how that turned out ;) X1X was revealed before PS4 pro and we know how that turned out .They are extremely confident .book it and come back to this in 8 months

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like that they just dropped the PS5 specs out of nowhere and didn't make a huge deal out of it. Sure, it made things a bit less exciting but it honestly also feels more mature IMO. It's less hype-y and sensationalist and more matter-of-factly and straight to the point which I appreciate. As for the rest of it, I think that just comes down to this being the calm before the storm. They don't have many new games to show right now cause all the new games they have are PS5 games. And the remaining PS4 games will probably mainly be shown off during their State of Play thingies which I'm expecting them to do a bunch of over the course of the year. Depending on when in 2020 the PS5 releases, they may also have a "proper" PS5 reveal event this year where we'll get first game announcement and they'll reveal what the actual box looks like, etc.

Qash_effect

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
They should get the geeks and nerds and the people who come across like they have lots of passion for games in general to do the introduction press conference for ps5 like the Sony first party guy even if his English isn't great - shuhei yoshida?? And the other ones who are still around - Layden comes across like a complete douche he doesn't fit the presentation style imo - let the others do it - he seems too corporate or grand without that relation to the customers that the others have. And Mark Cerny shouldn't lead the conference because he just comes across as super weird/awkward. Just be part of another vid reel explaining ps5 details.

I also agree Sony not being at E3 is such a bad decision irrespective of whether they were to announce many new things or not. It basically gives Microsoft the whole show to announce and build buzz around their next gen console with actual physical talk as opposed to a random blowout with a magazine or whatever. They'll also be able to show off games and maybe even a design of the box - all without any real competition.

That decision not to be at E3 and Microsoft most likely announcing their plans their probably forced them into announcing this now. First movers advantage and all. But still doesn't really do much past short term acknowledgement and excitement for ps5 until Microsoft come with their news. And whilst I'm sure Sony will again be more successful when they release their product Microsoft will definitely have learned some lessons from this generation and will come with a much better product as well from the get go. The way the ps5 information has started screams short termism to me and they should've either mentioned it at least at E3 that they'll be giving their information later in the year.

It'll be interesting if Microsoft announce an earlier than expected release date too for their console which would really put pressure on Sony without being at E3

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I've just assumed that they're saving up a shit load of stuff for when and after the PS5 is announced. After they've released Day's Gone do they really have that much to to talk about, outside of LOU2, until they've had aforementioned announcement.

The State of Play was perfect for those smaller games that wouldn't be prominently featured at a big conference. Can you imagine them standing up at E3 talking about these games. Underwhelmed is kind way to describe the feedback the fans would have to that. better them to miss it this year before overloading us with stuff next year.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They should get the geeks and nerds and the people who come across like they have lots of passion for games in general to do the introduction press conference for ps5 like the Sony first party guy even if his English isn't great - shuhei yoshida?? And the other ones who are still around - Layden comes across like a complete douche he doesn't fit the presentation style imo - let the others do it - he seems too corporate or grand without that relation to the customers that the others have. And Mark Cerny shouldn't lead the conference because he just comes across as super weird/awkward. Just be part of another vid reel explaining ps5 details.

I also agree Sony not being at E3 is such a bad decision irrespective of whether they were to announce many new things or not. It basically gives Microsoft the whole show to announce and build buzz around their next gen console with actual physical talk as opposed to a random blowout with a magazine or whatever. They'll also be able to show off games and maybe even a design of the box - all without any real competition.

That decision not to be at E3 and Microsoft most likely announcing their plans their probably forced them into announcing this now. First movers advantage and all. But still doesn't really do much past short term acknowledgement and excitement for ps5 until Microsoft come with their news. And whilst I'm sure Sony will again be more successful when they release their product Microsoft will definitely have learned some lessons from this generation and will come with a much better product as well from the get go. The way the ps5 information has started screams short termism to me and they should've either mentioned it at least at E3 that they'll be giving their information later in the year.

It'll be interesting if Microsoft announce an earlier than expected release date too for their console which would really put pressure on Sony without being at E3
Dear lord

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I find it weird why they didn't hold it closer to their chest and blown people away with it. Sony isn't stupid to not know microsoft is gonna try to top them in every way

It's really weird

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always surprised when people communicating online instantly with people all over the globe are surprised that a company isn't sticking to 'traditional' means of communication now and in the future.

The Wired article gets information out instantly, before MS talks about their product and reaches everyone that cares about a future console in 2019 right away. It cost them nothing and achieved the result they wanted. Every site that matters is covering it. Its all over social media. It has saturated gaming discussion today and probably for the near future on sites like this and for the 'core' gamer who is apt to purchase a console on Day 1.

The sooner this industry gets away from E3, the better. I'll miss the spectacle and the Hype™ but I won't miss overstuffed press conferences filled with fake footage and announcements years and years sooner than they should be just to 'win' a press conference.

State of Play is a good step forward for them and better than how they've normally announced stuff.

Excellent post.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah I think it's quite bad what they're doing. They were on such a roll too. Now they're biding in preparation for PS5, which isn't good enough considering how long it's been.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I think Microsoft's specs much like Sony's is pretty much locked in by now.
Microsoft has proved they got the means to do it better. (Ps4pro vs xbox onex). Unless sony seriously surprises in hardware and build quality, they made a really weak strategic move with this imo. It's like there was zero point to reveal it and there's only disadavantages to it. So either sony is feeling reaaally confident, or they made a silly and careless mistake

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is nothing wrong with Sony's communication. They just skipped events since E3 because don't have anything big to announce since all their remaining big bets on PS4 have been already announced so they only need to release a trailer from time to time when close to release. They recently released some PS5 stuff, they'll release additional info on the upcoming games when closer to their release and when ready they will announce PS5 and show some related stuff.

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Microsoft has proved they got the means to do it better. (Ps4pro vs xbox onex). Unless sony seriously surprises in hardware and build quality, they made a really weak strategic move with this imo. It's like there was zero point to reveal it and there's only disadavantages to it. So either sony is feeling reaaally confident, or they made a silly and careless mistake

Lol, the pro vs onex situation was because Microsoft had an extra year, not because Microsoft "has the means to do it better".

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't the one x come out well after the pro, by almost a full year?