• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Think ppl might be jumping the gun. They basically missed one psx and judging by the previous years psx that was a good idea.

If they are completely radio silent through e3, gamescom, psx, etc. with zero service or game announcements perhaps you can start the concern trolling haha

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Shawn Layden is bad at public speaking.
I think he's actually great at it, or at least I really enjoy his presentation style, but he's publicly talked about how much he stresses out about it. So I think they'll avoid these presentations unless they have major stuff to announce, basically.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I'm always surprised when people communicating online instantly with people all over the globe are surprised that a company isn't sticking to 'traditional' means of communication now and in the future.

The Wired article gets information out instantly, before MS talks about their product and reaches everyone that cares about a future console in 2019 right away. It cost them nothing and achieved the result they wanted. Every site that matters is covering it. Its all over social media. It has saturated gaming discussion today and probably for the near future on sites like this and for the 'core' gamer who is apt to purchase a console on Day 1.

The sooner this industry gets away from E3, the better. I'll miss the spectacle and the Hype™ but I won't miss overstuffed press conferences filled with fake footage and announcements years and years sooner than they should be just to 'win' a press conference.

State of Play is a good step forward for them and better than how they've normally announced stuff.

I don't think anybody is surprised Sony is changing Communication strategy. I think what we're surprised about is the lack of concrete and visible aspects of that change. In 1 year the only major things we've seen are "State of Play" and the Wired article. That's not much to replace the PSX, E3 and the other press conferences...

If the intent of that Communication strategy change was to save money, then ok I get it. But do we have any evidences this was the intent ? Do we have drastic cuts in marketing or communication budget for the current fiscal year ? Or did the communication/marketing spendings have been allocated elsewhere ( more digital ? ) ? If it's the case, then where ? Maybe State of Play is part of it, but we haven't seen much so far and I think it's fair to wonder what is going on.

I disagree about the impact of the Wired interview. Yes you have buzz on all videogames forum. I mean those are the first PS5 specs details, of course ALL gaming forums and websites would be all over it. However, you don't see any buzz in the mainstream media. An interview with Wired will never have the same impact as an Event. If an interview was as effective as an event why the Apple, Google, Tesla, and all tech giants would bother with live Events then ?

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
December 4th is the 25th anniversary of PlayStation. They are saving up, it's the calm before the storm.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Feels like they are readying up a loaded gun for when they are ready to properly reveal the thing. The question is, when will they fire?

December 4th is the 25th anniversary of PlayStation. They are saving up, it's the calm before the storm.
But what about the Keighley awards? XD
They are usually in the first week of December and the 4th will be a Wednesday.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Lets see a surprise reveal that was also very informative seems like it was a great move.

It proves yet again you dont need a gameshow to reveal something.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree about the impact of the Wired interview. Yes you have buzz on all videogames forum. I mean those are the first PS5 specs details, of course ALL gaming forums and website would be all over it. However, you don't see any buzz in the mainstream media. An interview with Wired will never have the same impact as an Event. If an interview was as effective as an event why the Apple, Google, Tesla, and all tech giants would bother with live Events ?

It's not like them doing this excludes an event. They're obviously going to do a big reveal when the time is right. But this gets gamers talking about it right now. It gets them hyped about it. Then when the time is right they'll do a proper reveal that more mainstream press pickup on. And that will still appeal to gamers because we'll obviously see games and get specific tech details.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
just heard on the Bombcast that WIRED forced Sony's hand on this info today. basically they had leaked HW info ready to publish without Sony and after contacting them Sony agreed to just do an interview instead.

this to me sounds like Sony didn't want this info out there just yet, continuing the shitty communication you mention in the OP.
You think multi-billion corporations are gonna reward websites with an official interview when said website threatens them with a leak? Lmao.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS5 is going on. This gen is ending.
just heard on the Bombcast that WIRED forced Sony's hand on this info today. basically they had leaked HW info ready to publish without Sony and after contacting them Sony agreed to just do an interview instead.

this to me sounds like Sony didn't want this info out there just yet, continuing the shitty communication you mention in the OP.
lol. This is nonsense.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

This is so dumb lol.

Standard Sony (and virtually every other company) procedure forever has been that they don't comment on rumors or speculation.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Why spend a ton of money on an event when you can fly Wired out for a little interview and drop some mega-deets? Like they just beat MS to the punch and MS didn't even know the fight had started yet. Now everything MS does is "in response" to Sony.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Shawn Layden is bad at public speaking.
Definitely not.
I don't think anybody is surprised Sony is changing Communication strategy. I think what we're surprised about is the lack of concrete and visible aspects of that change. In 1 year the only major things we've seen are "State of Play" and the Wired article. That's not much to replace the PSX, E3 and the other press conferences...

If the intent of that Communication strategy change was to save money, then ok I get it. But do we have any evidences this was the intent ? Do we have drastic cuts in marketing or communication budget for the current fiscal year ? Or did the communication/marketing spendings have been allocated elsewhere ( more digital ? ) ? If it's the case, then where ? Maybe State of Play is part of it, but we haven't seen much so far and I think it's fair to wonder what is going on.

I disagree about the impact of the Wired interview. Yes you have buzz on all videogames forum. I mean those are the first PS5 specs details, of course ALL gaming forums and websites would be all over it. However, you don't see any buzz in the mainstream media. An interview with Wired will never have the same impact as an Event. If an interview was as effective as an event why the Apple, Google, Tesla, and all tech giants would bother with live Events then ?
You post this like Sony isn't going to have a formal PS5 reveal event. They will. They just didn't need to wait until E3 or a traditional date to deceminate this information. That's not how information has to spread in 2019 to be effective. I also didn't say this was a cost saving move, but it probably achieved the same result while foregoing the cost of an E3 stage presence and gets them removed from the noise of that event. They have complete mindshare today and in April talking about their console.

Here are the places covering the Wired article today after 5 seconds of DuckDuckGo search:

Variety
Daily Mail
MSN News
The Verge
BBC News
Fortune
Esquire
CNET
The Independent
Forbes

What more 'mainstream' coverage do you think early details about a video game console more than a year from release that this isn't reaching?

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

But the full reveal will have buzz in the mainstream media.

Today was a first look for the fans and gaming media.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
They are getting info out to more outlets than something like a Digital Foundry would. This is smart to generate overall buzz with all potential consumers. The hardcore will get their true reveal closer to launch with specs, deep dive, etc.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt this interview is gonna have that much effect. Like I get where you're coming from but this is gonna be too technical for most consumers if they ever see it.

The article isn't intended for most consumers. It's intended for the more hardcore crowd which includes places like Era obviously. You get three buzz out there amongst the big time gamers and that can build up or even lead hype among the general audience as friends tell friends about the crazy stuff Sony wants to do with the PS5.

Oct 27, 2017
The same thing that happens before a new gen. Can't say too much coz it could hurt current EOL sales. For example: Nintendo between March 2015 and October 2016.

With the PS5 announcement today we're sure to get more and more from them

Honestly Dreams Full release + Concrete Genie might be their only fall 2019 games and everything else 2020 for PS4/PS5 dual launches so they've got to be tight lipped for now

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel it makes sense. E3 is pointless with nothing new to show. updates on medievil and last of us are better demo'd elsewhere imo. They don't have hardware yet and they've shown their stage worthy cards regarding software. MS either have a boatload of exclusives to announce or they're announcing their next gen system...if neither happen and you just get a new Forza, an update on halo and some gears 5 footage I'd argue they should probably have skipped it too. But that's the reality of a generation coming to a close.

As for the partial spec announcement. I think that is entirely tactical. They're positioning themselves as first. If MS announce similar features the mindset will be "Sony announced that a month ago" I honestly just see it as them pissing on MS's bonfire...which feels doubly true with Google's stadia announcement which also beats MS to the punch for streaming...that is of course assuming MS intend to announce hardware this year.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't see why an interview in a magazine is any lesser than a conference. The information doesn't change. By comparison, the PS4 Pro reveal was awful.

They're clearly not ready to show the games they're working on for the console yet, we're still over 12 months away from it's most likely launch date. There really seems to be some weird needy attitude that these game companies should be constantly communicating with us and I can't say I understand it.

In terms of Sony, last week we got name changes, today we got information on PS5 and Dreams early access. Next week Days Gone will release and I'm sure we'll get updates on the "big 3" before the end of the year and a couple more State of Plays. Are people really desperate for more information about PlayStation right now? What exactly is it people want them to say and why do they really need to know it right now?

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
So over the past year of so, they've skipped Paris Games Week, then PSX, then E3.

I think this December (PS 25th anniversary) is when they finally unleash the storm.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
In the age of the 24 hour news cycle and Twitter where a big company like Sony can get just as much eyeballs on a reveal just based on views or retweets alone and have to spend pennies in comparison I don't see the need for the traditional conference reveal structure anymore unless it's something like CES or GDC for networking purposes with devs and vendors. Like why some of yall need to be coddled by a corporation like this, it's just news/press release stuff, you aren't getting the opportunity to demo anything yourself. People will say "but muh hype trains", frankly that shit needs to die considering the bloated costs involved with those types of events. I'd much rather an attitude like Sony's where they shut up for awhile until they actually have something to show vs the old school way of vidya marketing of giving reveals sometimes years too early. IMO much better to just drop shit in people's laps without the need for fanfare, the average gamer in 2019 is savvy enough with social media to figure out the relevant details without needing some drawn out bloviated corporate back patting exercise by way of an overpriced conference. Granted there's some hypocrisy here as I do enjoy things like The Game Awards (at least most of this is funded by ads however) :p

Point being I'm glad we're seeing a shift towards product reveals more close to launch. I think Nintendo has clearly influenced Sony and MS quite a bit from their Directs, indicative of things like Inside X-Box and more recently Sony's State of Play. Focus on software you can ship in the next 6-12 months. For the love of god no more FFVIIR type reveals anymore, bury that nonsense 10 feet deep and don't look back.

Oct 25, 2017
They've kinda gone radio silent

They aren't even really doing third party partnerships as much. MS had a great conference in 2018 because it was bolstered by third parties. Sony while focusing on their first party, made this weird choice by overbloating their show with performance art pieces... and basically minimizing third parties

Hell, Sony used to have the licensing deal for Star Wars with EA, but its seemingly going to MS for Jedi Fallen Order

TBH, I am not sure why this happened considering they had the strongest momentum. Maybe just the natural peak then decline.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No fucking way. That's disappointing the Bombcast would even say something so dumb, I expect more from them.

Wire is just going to try and blackmail them? No legal repercussions to think of?

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's kinda strange, but as long as they still make a real announcement event like for the PS4, everything will be fine.
Sony better not take our meme creating hype away or I'm cancelling my PS5 pre-order. Kazification was legendary and I want a new chapter of it.

In the end though, all that matters is what's in the box, price and the games. They already did everything right, from SSD, PS4 BC, PSVR BC and a beefy CPU, I couldn't be happier.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Don't you think it would have been better to just wait and see what Microsoft is doing ? I mean why giving up key details about your next gen platform so early ? I don't see how this affects Microsoft, if anything it help them for their presentation imo.

No it's honestly genius. They gave all the facts without the details. Zen 2, Navi, SSD, backcompat, even a demo to the journalist of how well it works. But they didn't ACTUALLY give numbers, and it's not like MS can say zen 3 and Arcturus, suddenly their thunder is taken away withh that stuff. And even if MS gives numbers....okay what are Sony's numbers? Completely cut off at the knees

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
They've kinda gone radio silent

They aren't even really doing third party partnerships as much. MS had a great conference in 2018 because it was bolstered by third parties. Sony while focusing on their first party, made this weird choice by overbloating their show with performance art pieces... and basically minimizing third parties

Hell, Sony used to have the licensing deal for Star Wars with EA, but its seemingly going to MS for Jedi Fallen Order

TBH, I am not sure why this happened considering they had the strongest momentum. Maybe just the natural peak then decline.
Radio silent by being forthcoming earlier than last gen with what their next console will be? By having a new 'Nintendo Direct' style of announcing games? We must have very different definitions of 'radio silence'.

BTW, to not let hyperbole get in the way of what actually occurred at E3 2018 those over bloated art pieces were:

Gustavo Santaolalla: 3 minutes
Guy with flute or whatever: 2 minutes

That's literally it. 5 minutes. They then showed

The Last of Us Part 2: 12 minutes
Ghost of Tsushima: 11 minutes
Death Stranding: 8 minutes
Marvel's Spider-Man: 7 minutes

There was nothing over bloated about putting two small mood setting performances before two gameplay demos that were several times the length of those intros.

Can you point to anything tangible from after E3 or the supposed minimizing of third parties to back up your assertion for this 'natural decline'? It's downright bizarre that showing 3rd party games or marketing deals of games that come (and sell better on) PS4 anyways makes Microsoft stronger to some.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
If PS5 is 2020, it seems like they don't have much in new game announcements between now and then beyond those big releases that have already been shown in 2018 (Dreams, Ghosts, LOU2, Kojima's game, etc), which explains why they would choose to not have a conference again to regurgitate the same games.

rumbling

Mar 22, 2018
No fucking way. That's disappointing the Bombcast would even say something so dumb, I expect more from them.

Wire is just going to try and blackmail them? No legal repercussions to think of?
What are you talking about? Blackmail and legal repercussions? Chill dude... Obvious I have no idea what happened and how. But If you have credible information that you are going to publish, it seams 100% normal procedure to contact the company/person the information is about and ask for a comment?

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I am surprised Sony has changed their Communication strategy. They seemed to have been killing it for the first couple years of this generation with Communication. That was amplified by the fact that Microsoft kept dropping the ball. And then it all went downhill in that department, and it seems the roles have reversed.

Edit: Not only were they killing it in the communication department, but it was reaping tangible, financial successes for them. So yeah, I'm really surprised that they didn't continue on that momentum. "4theplayers" was almost a rallying cry at the start of the generation, and now its treated like a joke.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Yeah it's kinda strange, but as long as they still make a real announcement event like for the PS4, everything will be fine.
Sony better not take our meme creating hype away or I'm cancelling my PS5 pre-order. Kazification was legendary and I want a new chapter of it.

In the end though, all that matters is what's in the box, price and the games. They already did everything right, from SSD, PS4 BC, PSVR BC and a beefy CPU, I couldn't be happier.

I just feel some of those things could have been kept for the Reveal. Why sharing all that more than a year before the console is released ? That's great for us but will they have enough to share ? Maybe they will just focus on games.

I'm wondering also if maybe they have "something else" - really big - they would like to focus on...

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not concerned about Sony's communication in the least. They seem to be doing fine and we seem to be doing fine.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Going through my Business Ethics class. It actually wouldn't be outlandish for a company to step in to do a controlled leak if they are informed someone will do it with or without them. Which does make the whole "this reveal is tied to wired" Make more sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
This again?
Reminds me of those "why havent we heard from Sony" threads, but now that we heard just a little bit, we think it's weird.

Y'all get bored in between actual announcements, but Sony has nothing new to show for a while, and is only going to tell a little bit so you don't expect more soon.

It makes sense.

Not being at E3 makes way more sense than being there. The idea of the show, as much as I love it, is outdated. Especially if you are going to show PS4 games and have them potentially look last-gen next to games on your competitor's new system.

Telling folks a bit of details will keep PS5 in the back of their mind in case they see a new Xbox at E3. They won't be able to compare it to PS5, but they'll remember some positive promises about the system.
That way they can skip E3, and keep winning this gen until it ends.

They don't need to do anything else.

They're learning. They don't need to constantly be communicating anything other than what first party PS4 releases to buy. And they're definitely advertising Days Gone.

More game companies need ditch the PS3 reveal model of constantly saying something is coming but it changes drastically or gets delayed over and over as launch approaches, whether it be a console or just a game release.
Spring 2006 y'all. 2 HDMI ports. 3 Ethernet ports. 6 USB. Boomerang controller.

It's just so much better to say "it's going to be really fast, have ray tracing, an SSD, 3D audio, and backwards compatibility with both PS4 games and PSVR equipment."

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just feel some of those things could have been kept for the Reveal. Why sharing all that more than a year before the console is released ? That's great for us but will they have enough to share ? Maybe they will just focus on games.

I'm wondering also if maybe they have "something else" - really big - they would like to focus on...
They destroyed MS thunder for e3 .now Ms can not come and say SSD and raytracing and bc and load times and zen2 and navi .they have to do more to impress.so they forced MS hand .it was quite genius actually

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
They're very clearly confident in the games and services they have lined up, and want to let that do most of the talking instead of having a conference full of tech specs & other bits of info like this.

We'll probably get a proper hardware / software reveal in early 2020 with a late 2020 release date. Expect the rest of this year to be pretty quiet.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They're very clearly confident in the games and services they have lined up, and want to let that do most of the talking instead of having a conference full of tech specs & other bits of info like this.

We'll probably get a proper hardware / software reveal in early 2020 with a late 2020 release date. Expect the rest of this year to be pretty quiet.
Our zhugh confirmed this .so yea .100%

GraGor

Nov 17, 2017
Even though Sony aren't going to be at E3 this year I fully expect them to drip feed more info on the PS5 during the run up to it. It started today and will continue well beyond E3. Today's info was totally unexpected and PR perfection.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017

I agree, yesterday I'd have laughed if somebody had told me that Sony would reveal some major features of the PS5 (so early) in 2019 AND before MS. But oh well, it is what it is and I'm sure there's still enough to be revealed at a later date. I mean we know nothing about PSVR2 for instance. At least Team 2019 will finally shut up and we know that our PS4 purchases will still be usable on PS5.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That's great for us but will they have enough to share ? Maybe they will just focus on games.

The controller? The hardware? The services? The operating system? And, like you mentioned, a little thing called games.

Your OP is a bit weird -- you seem concerned that they're not communicating enough but also concerned that they're communicating too much.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I like them and other companies just releasing news to be honest. Conferences and the hype culture that surrounds them feel antiquated and more often than not leave the consumer feeling disappointed.
More like the wired interview dropping out of the blue and less of the hype with announcements of announcements please.

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018
Just like when MS talked about 4K HDR for XB1s at E3. Months later PS4 pro is announced with the same buzzwords. Sony must of been very upset.
Except that was because Microsoft knew that Sony was probably launching way before them. Unless the next Xbox is launching way before the PS5 I don't see why they needed to release anything just yet.