• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic
Toy Story 3 and 4
Inside Out
Jumanji 2 and 3
The Invisible Man

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
In recent memory...

Ford v Ferrari. I had almost no awareness of this one at all until it hit theaters. I think I saw one trailer ever. I didn't realize it was directed by James Mangold until the credits rolled. Just an absolute sledgehammer of a movie that I somehow almost missed entirely.

Birds of Prey. The trailers put me off it, thinking it was going to be just more Suicide Squad dreck, and then it turned out to be an absolutely bonkers Deadpool-esque comedy-action skewering of superhero films. It might be the best movie I've seen in 2020 so far.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
A Simple Favor is based on an airport novel and directed by someone who has never directed anything I'd call good prior to it, yet it's consistently engaging and goes some really interesting places.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knives Out. I didn't really know what to expect, and while I did not doubt Rian Johnson after TLJ, I didn't think that a movie that is essentially Clue would be acted, directed, and written so incredible well.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
The internet led me to believe Solo was a dumpster fire. I actually enjoyed it watching it on Netflix, heh.

I really , really like Rouge One as well.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Spiderman Far From Home. Saw the reviews of people saying it was a bit messy, a bit of a step down from Homecoming, not even close to the Raimi movies again, etc. I found Homecoming a little bland and safe so I waited on this a bit, and I was stunned at how much I dug this movie. Sure, it's sloppier in places, but it actually tries to do something fun and unique for the series, the action is muuuuch stronger this time around, and Gyllenhaal is so fun as Mysterio.

Toy Story 4. Another movie I held off for a bit because how much it seemed like an unnecessary sequel in an Era of mediocre Pixar movies. Didn't really care for Toy Story 3 too much aside from the ending. In the end... I LOVED the movie. The setting, the new characters, the plot and resolution are EASILY some of my favourite in the series. Don't sleep on this because of people who are too hung up on Toy Story 3 being the definitive ending to the series. Toy Story 4 >>>>> Toy Story 3

Oct 25, 2017
John Wick.

Went to the theater with a cousin one day that we were super bored and expected to watch a mildly entertain yet generic action flick.

We left the theater squealing and yelling about how freakin badass that movie was.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Had no idea I would end up loving this movie so much. Once the first real action scene started up, the film had my full attention. While there were still quite a few cheesey moments & parts, the good vastly outweighed the corny & can't wait to watch it again as I just ordered the 4K blu-ray.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the new terminator. was expecting an average movie but i freaking loved it. guess i'm just a mark for terminator movies.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I though Game Night was going to be decent enough but it turned out to be one of my favourite cinema comedies of the last decade.

John Wick was also way better than it's reasonably low budget thriller status would have you believe. So pleasanlty surprised by that.

Taken, I never would have expected Liam Neeson to make a film like that. It's brilliant. It's just a pity that the sequels are so dire and that non of Neeson's follow up action films have been that good (to me at least).
It's the Pierre Morrel —> trash b-tier Luc Besson-mentored director syndrome. Similar to the Transporter series (though that started out with a different director).

Dec 29, 2017
Sevilla, Spain
Terminator: Dark Fate. Thought it was gonna be just another shitty Hollywood sequel but it was actually quite good, very surprising considering all the terrible Terminator movies that came before it.

crookedaxis

Oct 27, 2017
Searching

thought it would be a simple thriller with a dumb gimmick, but it was really engaging and the screens "gimmick" worked really well, felt so natural.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Micheal bays first transformers movie. I legit think it's solid fun. Well done set pieces, impressive cgi and fantastic score. The screenplay was the weakest part, since I thought Shia lebouf character was entertaining.

Man of steel. It has fantastic score and dbz level fights with some really great shot composition. I though zod was great villain and Henry cavil was engaging as superman origin. I also enjoyed the mood of the movie, despite knowing that's antithesis of dupes. I think cgi destruction in last half was the worst part

Fool

Banned
May 2, 2018
Click. Thought it might be just another run of the mill mid 2000's silly Adam Sandler flick.

But no. It's emotional, funny and thought-provoking.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Inception. I'm really not a big fan of Nolan at all, but damn, that script is nearly perfect. Ellen Page basically being Ms. Exposition is its only sin. Really a wonderful blockbuster.

Downsizing. The reviews were very mixed so I expected a pretty mediocre film, but I came out of it wondering why the movie wasn't widely acclaimed. A coworker of mine hated it and her criticism of it just didn't resonate with me at all.

Cube 2: Hypercube. Expected more of the same, just a bigger budget rehash of the first one, but it went in a completely different direction. It's not fantastic but +1 for originality.

Echoing others regarding Jumanji 2 and Sonic.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
I walked into Rise of the Planet of the Apes thinking the whole endeavour pointless, and assuming it'd be rubbish... But walked out at the end with a new film appended to my list of favourites.

How to Train Your Dragon also blindsided me a bit... I expected to hate it but again, it ended up on the list (and led me to watch all three films, a bunch of shorts, and... Is it 6 seasons of the TV shows?)

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
There's honestly loads of films that I regret not seeing earlier but the biggest one for me is Master & Commander.

51pR77if6VL.jpg

When it came out I was like "Ugh, an old naval movie. That'll be crap." But it's honestly one of my favourite films of the past 20 years. Just a shame it came out shortly before the release of the Return of the King as I think that hurt its box office a lot. Shame we'll likely never see more adventures of Lucky Jack.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Matrix. I expected nothing and got everything

King Picollo

Oct 28, 2017
Starship Troopers, not really any big actors, about alien bugs, instant classic with so many memorable scenes.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Mad Max Fury Road

I watched it on my birthday when it was on in the cinemas with my friends, I was not expecting anything at all as I was never fond of the original films and the main event for my celebration was going to the arcade.

I came out of the film with my mind fucking exploding at the sheer awesomeness.

source.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I though Game Night was going to be decent enough but it turned out to be one of my favourite cinema comedies of the last decade.

Yes! Watched it a couple of days ago expecting an okay comedy but it was legit great. Was very surprised by how inventive and funny it was. Managed to be visually interesting as well, which is not something you can often say about modern comedies.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
The 1997 movie Anaconda.
I went in expecting trash like Sharknado but it was a very well made monster film. Cinematography, special effects, filming locations, actors, everything was awesome and it had a genuinely exciting finale. It's so rare seeing a movie with such a premise be this well executed while also having a production budget big enough to not make it look like garbage made by SyFy. We need more movies like that.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Pulp Fiction

A friend rented it when we were teens. We had heard it was good, but I remember always seeing that cover (Uma smoking) and thinking it looked boring/cheap. The movie blew my mind. I was so used to the Hollywood narrative structure that I didn't realize you could tell a story that way.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Whiplash - Sure it was a highly praised movie from every corner around the world, but it was still just a movie about a drummer to me. And I have zero interest in drumming and only saw it because of the positive buzz.

After viewing it, you could serve me mountains of crows to be eaten. Lovely movie.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
O8maEoJ.png

And then, for good measure, "Okay, that was good, but lightning doesn't strike twice."

WRONG

LJsoS7z.png

OP
OP
Hecht

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Kudos to those who mentioned Happy Death Day and its sequel. Genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed those films.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brick.

A film noir set in high school? Well that's gonna fucking su—-HOLY SHIT WHY IS THIS WORKING SO WELL?!

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
A Simple Favor is based on an airport novel and directed by someone who has never directed anything I'd call good prior to it, yet it's consistently engaging and goes some really interesting places.
It has Anna Kendrick busting a rap in her car, what's not to like?
Micheal bays first transformers movie. I legit think it's solid fun. Well done set pieces, impressive cgi and fantastic score. The screenplay was the weakest part, since I thought Shia lebouf character was entertaining.
The same can be said of the third film, I think. The lows are stupider, but the highs are phenomenal. It should have ended the saga, and I pretend it did.
(Though Bumblebee starting a new universe is A-OK by me.)

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Suicide Squad.

I expected another BvS-level shit and instead... there's a good 1h 30' decent Escape from New York homage in there, overwhelmed under a bad beginning and the worst Joker.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
John Carter
The Last Jedi (disliked Force Awakens)

I would say Jumanji 2 but I had already heard it was good before seeing it.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I might be the only one, but for me it was Fury Road. Road Warrior was one of my favorite movies at that point.

Very late sequel, had this "videogame from the 00s" brown aesthetic at first glance. It looked like the storm would be an over the top CGI fest finale of the movie. The Mel Gibson controversy wasn't that old yet and him as a person aside, I couldn't see anyone stepping up to fill in his shoes. Extremely long time in the oven, close to being called a cursed project.
I thought it would be a CGI driven "safe" movie when I saw the trailer for the first time.

The closer the movie got, the more I got the feeling that my gut feeling might be wrong.
When I saw it, I was blown away. Watched it three or four times in cinema. I don't think I've ever been that wrong about anything.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The Social Network.

When it was announced I thought "Facebook: The Movie, why in God's name would I want to watch that?

But it was a great watch.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Shazam
Bumblebee
The Punisher (2004)
The Blob (1988)
Battle Angel Alita
Ghost In The Shell (aside from the stupid ending reveal, I enjoyed that movie much more than I thought)
Heat
Blade Runner 2049

Last edited: