• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Yonder: the Cloud Catcher Chronicles. No idea on the performance on Switch though. I played it on PS4 and it performed okay at best. The game itself is short and sweet; a very casual exploration game with no combat.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Looking for something that I can play undocked for Switch before going to sleep. Ideally, this wouldn't be story or dialogue-heavy; just something a bit more mellow and easy-going. I'm really ok with any genres.

I was thinking maybe something like Stardew Valley? What do you guys recommend?
Stardew valley, but more mellow, no combat and 3d;

Yonder

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
A word of caution: Stardew Valley can be deceptively demanding if you're the organized sort who tends to plan and want to optimize. It's not mellow like Animal Crossing, which basically tells you at some point that there's nothing left to do for now and you should turn off the game already. Stardew also has the "one more day" thing going on, which can be a drawback if you'd rather go to sleep on time and not see your bedtime slipping ever further back in tiny 15-minute-increments.

Octopath Traveler is surpisingly good bedtime gaming. It's very predictable in its patterns and how long you can expect everything to take. It is dialogue heavy when you start one of the story bits, but that's always up to you.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I like to play Neo Turf Masters before bed.

ohno2.png

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Definitely Stardew Valley. I used to do one or two in-game days of that before going to sleep and it really helped.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I swear there were studies not that long ago that said this was nonsense?

That would be news to me. There are countless studies proving the effect it has on your eyes/retinas and focus. Newer phones are applying blue light filters, there are specific lens for glasses made for people who work extensively with computers, etc.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Damn, I was going to recommend NightSky but I guess that never made it to Switch. What ever happened to all those Nicalis ports?

Anyway, if you have a 3DS, cannot recommend NightSky enough for a chill before bed fix

Isn't this the opposite of what OP would be asking for?

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
If you haven't played them yet I would recommend The Fall and The Fall 2, fairly relaxing and enough dialogue to wind-down to.

Forma.8 is also quite relaxing, and maybe something like Oxenfree, I'd also recommend Yoku's Island Express and maybe Thimbleweed Park?

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  • Grim Fandango - A classic adventure game based on film noir and Mexican culture which makes for a unique setting.
The benefit of this is that adventure games tend to focus more on story and atmosphere over gameplay. Therefore you don't have to worry about quick reflexes or precision gameplay, you just walk around and talk to people while going on an adventure. Surely that's relaxing for a late night session.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Every time I grab my switch or 3DS to play something before going to sleep, I don't make it longer than 15 minutes because my eyes get mighty tired and I put it down.

I used to play Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate to 2 in the morning some years back.

Oct 30, 2017
Minecraft, DraQue Builders, Cities Skylines, Stardew, Mario Maker 2, Captain Toad, Wandersong... Even vast open-world games like Skyrim and Zelda BotW fit the bill, IMO.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Golf Story IS a little story heavy but it's core gameplay loop (golfing) is chill and you can play for anywhere from 10-infinite minutes at a time, no problem

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Every time I grab my switch or 3DS to play something before going to sleep, I don't make it longer than 15 minutes because my eyes get mighty tired and I put it down.

I used to play Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate to 2 in the morning some years back.

I usually take it to bed and there are three scenarios:

- I put Youtube on and I fall asleep and wake up in the morning with a drained Switch.

- I browse the eshop, download some demo or buy some cheap game, try it and fall asleep in 5 minutes.

- I give up and just put it on the side without even opening it and fall asleep.

Especially ever since I started morning training, Switch "before bedtime" is a lost cause.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I'm playing through Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu right now and it sounds exactly like what you describe.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I found exploring the world in Breath of the Wild very relaxing.

At least until out of nowhere this starts playing.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I usually take it to bed and there are three scenarios:

- I put Youtube on and I fall asleep and wake up in the morning with a drained Switch.

- I browse the eshop, download some demo or buy some cheap game, try it and fall asleep in 5 minutes.

- I give up and just put it on the side without even opening it and fall asleep.

Especially ever since I started morning training, Switch "before bedtime" is a lost cause.

Haha pretty much, I recently started playing the Phoenix Wight Triolgy on 3DS and I'm playing that a little bit by bit and it has been nice so far. Nothing to taxing and something I can do while I have something on the TV.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
That would be news to me. There are countless studies proving the effect it has on your eyes/retinas and focus. Newer phones are applying blue light filters, there are specific lens for glasses made for people who work extensively with computers, etc.
Nonsense? Doubt it, gonna have to ask for source on that

This article here certainly casts doubt - it seems to be more about upsetting circadian rhythms (i.e. day / night cycles and sleeping patterns) than doing actual damage.

There was a Watchdog segment in the UK a couple years back where opticians were giving false or hyperbolised information as to the detrimental effects of blue light.

Basically it seems like we really have no idea, as with most tech issues. Not to say that in the future we won't find out that this stuff is terrible for us and we've all grown optical mutations, but at present, I'm unconvinced.

Aug 29, 2018
This article here certainly casts doubt - it seems to be more about upsetting circadian rhythms (i.e. day / night cycles and sleeping patterns) than doing actual damage.

There was a Watchdog segment in the UK a couple years back where opticians were giving false or hyperbolised information as to the detrimental effects of blue light.

Basically it seems like we really have no idea, as with most tech issues. Not to say that in the future we won't find out that this stuff is terrible for us and we've all grown optical mutations, but at present, I'm unconvinced.
Idk. I studied some physical therapy and study eastern physiology for a more comprehensive idea of the human body, but you really don't need that to realize how bad fucking up a circadian rhythm is even if that is all it is. Our generation doesn't need a study it needs some body awareness so they dont end up like the guys who were saying "well we didn't know smoking was bad"

Have you tried a cigarette? Like should be obvious, just like this screens right before bed should be obvious but too much of our gen is too overstimulated to realize imo. If you dont get the right amount or type of sleep have fun dying young (which we also have studies for). It is very stressful for the body

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I know you said no story but Night in the Woods is the perfect chill in bed game. It has such a lovely atmosphere.
Plus, the clicky noisy Joycon buttons prevent me from playing anything action heavy. Tetris? Lol