• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I went from a Iphone SE to an Iphone SE2

But I generally don't upgrade year to year cause that's just a huge waste of money.

(Though I may get a Iphone 12 mini and give my mom my SE2 cause she's past due for a new phone)

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
No. 11 Pro Max. Was intending to go 12 Pro Max, but IUP didn't happen this year, so nvm.

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
I wouldn't care to, but my mom is older and has been using an iPhone 6s. I'm going to give her my 11 Pro Max for Christmas so she can have a bigger screen and I'll be able to more easily help her with any troubleshooting using the same non-home button based iOS, so I'll pick up the 12 Pro later this week.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't due for an upgrade, but I plan on using my S10 for at least another year or two assuming the battery holds out.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i upgraded from 11 Pro Max to 12 Pro Max

need the best camera for my two little kiddos & wanted a bigger screen for when Wild Rift drops

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I just upgraded in September 2019 after having my phone before it for 4.5 years, so I'm good for a bit.

But yeah, there is no point in upgrading since I really don't go anywhere.

Sep 9, 2020
Have an LG G7 One, it's fine aside from the battery since I've hit the 2 year mark. Might just get a Pixel 4a next, not looking for a top of the line phone.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I upgraded this year, but that was because I was using an iPhone 7+. I felt like that was enough generations removed from the 11.

I usually wait a long time to upgrade anyways. The pandemic and my shift to WFH didn't change that for me.

Oct 30, 2017
Prior to Covid, I was traveling every week for work.

Planes, rental cars, and the need for maps, apps, and email meant I needed a good phone.

My iPhone 8 is still going strong.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted and still do want an iPhone 12, but it seems silly to move to Face ID when I have to wear a mask all day. That kinda feels like a downgrade at that point.

octopedes

Feb 3, 2018
i didn't update this year, but it wasn't only because I'm wfh. Still got my 6S, may seriously consider updating next year if Touch ID is included in the 13.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Yep. No need to get a better camera (the main thing that matters in iPhones when you upgrade) if I'm not traveling. The one thing I really realized was how pointless my expensive phone plan was given that I was using like 500 mb a month since I was on wifi all the time. If it were possible to easily switch plans or even temporarily cancel your number it would have been smart to get like some dumbphone for 9 months and put that savings towards buying a new iPad or something.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
I opted to replace the battery on my 7+ instead of upgrading. $35 vs $700.

Pandemic really didn't factor into the decision though. I was WFH pre-COVID. Mainly I'm unwilling to part with touch id and the home button. If they made a plus-sized version of the SE2 I'd jump on it.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I don't upgrade until my current phone starts showing problems. If it lasts 5 years or more, awesome.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, for the incredibly shallow reason of "why would I upgrade my phone if I can't show it off to anyone"

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I tried to do this and hold off but my 4.5 year old iPhone 6s wouldn't hold a charge for more than a few hours even on low battery mode and I wanted to be able to run/walk with music so I caved and upgraded to an SE.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I wasn't going to upgrade this year, anyway, but I did move my whole family from our $40/mo Verizon lines to $15/mo Mint Mobile lines since we don't use more than 3gb a month each. I also ended up netting almost two years free on my line for referring every other line, haha.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I skipped upgrading my smartphone because OnePlus moved backwards from the popup camera to the godawful hole punch design. I'm keeping my 7 Pro for a long while, it seems.

Nov 8, 2017
I get a company phone, so I get a new one every 2 years whether I want one or not.

My last upgrade was from an A8 to an A71 in November. I didn't really need it because the A8 was fine, and one of my most important apps doesn't seem to work properly on the A71. :(

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
Using my Note 10+ even more while at home drove me to move back to iOS and grab a 12 Pro Max.

I never realized how many things about Android annoyed me until my usage doubled since I wasn't going out and being social three nights a week, and no bosses looking over my shoulder when I'd take a minute to read twitter between getting things done at work.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I have a iPhone 8 and the phone is still really fast. I don't feel any need to upgrade. Battery is getting a little shitty but since I am always home its easy to charge. Might get a new battery next year.

The only advantage of the newer iPhones for me is the cameras and since my wife has an iPhone 11 we just have her take all the pictures. The cameras on new high end smart phones are actually pretty remarkable. I don't feel the need to ever take out my DSLR anymore.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I used to be on the 2 year cycle, when the improvements to the iPhone were so obvious and made things quicker and better. I'm now on a 3 year cycle (iPhone XR) and might even go 4 years now. WFH doesn't really have anything to do with it, as I've been WFH for nearly a decade. The camera is probably what will get me to upgrade next.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. My phone doesn't have much to do with my work. As long as it still works fine, I feel no need to upgrade.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
I've had my iPhone X for 3 years and was going to upgrade to the 12.

Right before the 12 came out though, I decided to go the Apple Store and get a battery replacement. They screwed up the battery replacement and gave me a new X for the $70 fee. And honestly, it wasn't worth spending $1000+ on the 12 anymore. It's not like I'm going on any vacations anytime soon and need the slightly better camera. So I'm going to keep my X around until the next round of phones come out, I guess.

Honestly, the 3 year old phone can do everything the 12 can, it looks pretty much the same and I get to spend that $1000 on something else.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Well, I have iPhone XS so upgradinng to 12 Pro doesn't make that much sense. But yeah WFH was definitely a factor.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I already don't upgrade my phone very often, but these days it barely gets used. I've been charging the battery every 4 or so days. Probably helps extend the life of the battery, giving me even less of a reason to upgrade in the future.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Had to buy a new phone because my last one was always on warranty repairs. bought a cheap hauwei.
hopefully it lasts a decade like my previous phones

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to wait it out regardless. Just upgraded to the iPhone 11 last year, so I imagine it'll be a few years before I upgrade.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I used to upgrade all the time until I got an iPhone. It's still running like a champ a few years later so I don't see a reason to get a new phone. Especially with them ugly ass notches.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been rocking a refurbed XS for a bit now, was going to get battery replaced when COVID hit (it's at 86% health) but since I'm always home its not a big deal. Come the summer though and I'll be getting the battery replaced, my wife upgraded from an 8+ to an 11 right when COVID hit but her battery was insanely bad and the back was cracked so figured it was time for an upgrade. Hopefully both keep our phones for a few more years, only thing I'm personally jealous of is the night time photo's but I can use my wife's camera for that if needed

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That was the plan. Unfortunately my phone made the decision for me as over the period of 2 weeks it decided to slowly kill itself for no rhyme or reason