• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Basically they're saying the quiet parts out loud since Alberta is landlocked.
As the Western Canadian separatist movement Wexit becomes more mainstream, the group's founder is hoping to lead disillusioned western Canadians into the waiting arms of Donald Trump and to become the U.S.'s 51st state.

"Just like Wexit wasn't mainstream and now...is mainstream, the American option isn't mainstream but it will be," said Peter Downing, the driving force behind Wexit.

Wexit is a growing movement of conservative western Canadians who want to separate from eastern Canada. The group, built off existing separatist sentiment and western rage, was founded by Downing in early 2019 and has grown to become an actual political entity: it's now a registered party in Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan (although in some province's Wexit has changed names and merged with other separatist groups).

Like western separation, the idea of Alberta joining the United States isn't new. It tends to pop up in columns every few years and each time gets a smattering of support from some Albertans. Hill, who has never mentioned secession to the United States, said in an interview with Global News that Wexit had come a long way since its inception as a protest movement.
Source: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/935gm3/separatist-leader-now-wants-alberta-to-join-the-us

I do have to scoff at the notion of Wexit "becoming more mainstream" since it's still a fringe movement in the same way the Yellow Vests here in Canada are fringe. The only difference is the amount of coverage said fringe group has received has increased following the 2019 election.

And before you ask, yes, Facebook is exacerbating this:
Existing groups and supporters of the 51st state movement on Facebook—such as "51 and 52 Hey Ottawa F.U."—have thrown their weight behind Downing. Like many right-wing causes, Facebook is a key battleground for Wexit and Alberta 51, and where Wexit originally shored up support.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canadian here and I've never heard of this movement before. They're welcome to have Alberta, though.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
When the gunban went into place I went and searched for a Canadian gun subreddit and man those comments were something else. So many of them talked about wanting to move to America it was surreal. Obviously not related but it just made me think of that.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, there is actually some canadians who want to become 'muricans ??

Are they all completely crazy ?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
For those that have never been, Alberta is as "southern" as Canada gets. Which is weird since their capital had a really diverse ethic makeup with a decent sized Asian population/town center.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I know there used to be serious disconnect between western Canada and the east (wasn't there going to be a law giving Quebec special status years ago, that got shot down in the west? Maybe I'm misremembering)

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Canada, would you trade Alberta for the west coast US, much of the east coast US?

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
And yet, they were also quietly accepting those CERB payments from the federal government. Not much separation there huh?

Do they think Republicans will provide shelter and support for them, when they consistently fuck over American citizens at a ridiculous rate? LOL

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe we could work out some people swaps. Like, my progressive wife and I could move to Vancouver, and some conservative assbags could take over our lease here in Idaho. It seems like everyone gets what they want.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, what kind of appeal would anyone find living in the US right now? I dont see how anyone from any first world country would say living in the US would be preferable. Well, I guess if youre a racist/bigot/human trash.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like bait targeting Trump, not Canadians or even Albertans. Trying to get him to make some noise akin to Greenland? We know that he thinks that annexing territory into the US would bolster his popularity...the dumbass.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Albertan here and this movement gets more play in the media than it does by anyone I've ever talked too.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Québec also has a (extremely fringe) party that wants the same thing called "Parti 51".
Exciting race to see who nabs 51st state first!
Puerto Rico

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada, would you trade Alberta for the west coast US, much of the east coast US?

Is there a way to guarantee the GOP yokels are left behind entirely? Even if those portions are more blue state heavy, there is still a ton of GOP folks there, and overall, shit like being opposed to universal healthcare, anti-Vaccine or anyone Pro-NRA won't fly in Canada as a whole.

Besides, Trump might go nuclear if the west coast or east coast states like NY tried to leave, for purely financial greed reasons alone.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Peter Downing has also previously accused Justin Trudeau's government of normalizing pedophilia. He is just a tremendously big piece of shit.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Fuck off.

Signed an Albertan.

Also, Wexit ain't mainstream, it's extremely unpopular and Kenney is finally starting to follow suit.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I'll trade my right to own guns for universal healthcare if any Canadian want to make the trade.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I see news about in but never actually met a single wexit ppl here in alberta. Are they all live up in Fort mc or something?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I see news about in but never actually met a single wexit ppl here in alberta. Are they all live up in Fort mc or something?
Or it's completely overblown.

I've never met anyone that has ever brought it up unless mocking it and I live in a rural area near Calgary. In fact politics is heading the other way where many devout conservatives are disgusted with the fact they voted UCP, not moving further to the right.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Fine, let's trade Washington
I live there

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How do you look at how the US is handling the COVID pandemic and think "yep, we should join them".
"I like the way you die" is the best way to summarize modern conservatism. Obviously, not everyone from Alberta is like this (some of the major cities are rather progressive), but the blowhards and buffoons supporting this movement certainly ascribe to that belief.
Hence my saying it's still a fringe movement and a lot of the coverage of said fringe has been dangerous due to how certain outlets fail to scrutinize the movement in any capacity.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It is thankfully a (very) fringe movement but they do get far more attention than they deserve. It will also pop up regularly on various Canada Proud/Patriot Facebook pages or ones with a heavy police/oil theme.

The entire concept is ridiculous.