• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ResoRai

Nov 4, 2017
https://www.gamesradar.com/crackdown-3-wrecking-zone-multiplayer-hands-on/

"Perched atop a towering skyscraper, it's difficult not to get drawn into the sheer, incredible spectacle of it all; mouth agape, eyes blinded by the collapsing neon fixtures of the futuristic cityscape enveloping you."

"It is, however, worth taking a second to reflect on Crackdown 3's very public crawl through development hell, because getting the game into a position where it can be primed and ready for release on 15 February 2019 is an achievement in and of itself for Microsoft Game Studios."

"We won't bore you with the specifics as it is all extremely complicated, a technical accomplishment that Microsoft Game Studios admits it has only gotten working as intended in the last 12 months or so, but you should trust us when we tell you that it is pretty goddamned spectacular."

"In effect it means that, were we to be running away from a gaggle of enemies, we could use an assault rifle to hastily carve a makeshift door into the façade of an approaching building in an effort to break line-of- sight, and that will synchronise for every player in the game without any delay."

"The gunplay is a strictly lock-on affair, with a squeeze of the Left Trigger focusing the attention of your reticule onto an enemy in direct line-of-sight. The skill in Wrecking Zone isn't in mastering the mechanics of the weapons, but mastering your traversal of the environment – understanding how to quickly break line-of-sight and gain a height advantage on a would-be aggressor is everything."

There's a lot more in the article.

I was worried about lock on, but mastering traversal seemed to be the counter balance, on top of creating your own pathways and opportunities in a firefight. Seems like it could be a bit addicting.

Also the devs had spoken about how difficult incorporating computing was into the game, and them only getting it working properly in the last 12 months speaks more to that.

I really hope they pave the way. Epic recently acquired cloudgine for devs to use with the engine, so deeper utilization could take off in the future.

My thoughts basically mirroring their last portion:
"Wrecking Zone is only possible in its current form because of Azure, because of the cloud infrastructure Microsoft has established. It really is incredible technology and what's difficult to believe is that this is only the beginning. Crackdown 3 is going to be the best example of what this tech can do in the hands of ambitious development teams."

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Color me surprised. I was expecting Crackdown 3 to just be average, where it's good but doesn't stand out. I'll be happy if I'm proven wrong.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Good to hear some positive impressions. The MP mode did sound promising. I still think, if they make a mode without destruction, Crackdown would make for an interesting Battle Royale set up with its focus on traversal over gunskill.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to give this game a go, glad to see that GamePass allows pre-loading starting with this game as well.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Will the cloud memes make a comeback?

The multiplayer mode sounds really fun, I'd like to try it.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be very happy if Crackdown 3 was above average. Loved the 1st game.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I watched a recent video and it looked really awesome. I like how its in a weird VR place with bottomless pits and more creative platform placements. Leaning into the traversal in unique ways for the MP is smart, can't wait to try it out.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
if it's so good...why not......you know........show it? With the general conception of this game being lukewarm (anecdotal, feel free to disagree), you will think MS will do whatever it takes to show off the 'good' parts of the game. It's not like this wrecking zone multiplayer is spoiling any story stuff of whatsoever.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of my most anticipated titles of this year, I can't wait to play it. I hope it gets strong post launch support.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What we saw looked fun for Crackdown fans, I doubt it'll suddenly convert millions of people though. It'll be excellent to mess around in it thanks to Game Pass and not have to worry whether the game's worth full price or not.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
when crackdown 1 released it was dated game design. it was riding on the shoulders of the player abilities/movement which are a lot less novel these days. I have low expectations for this one being good, at least in single player. multiplayer might surprise though.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Loved one, rented and did not like 2, but this sounds like a good bit of fun. Still curious if the multiplayer servers with cloud destruction are going to live up to the previews/tech demos.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I'm so goddamn hyped for this game. I loved the first one when it was released, even I only bought it for the Halo 3 Beta, like probably 80% of the games owners.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
I'm excited to play the sp and mess around with that but what I really want is that MP. I wanna see all that destruction first hand, I cannot wait.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Hyperbole aside, I am cautiously optimistic for this game. The first is pure class and if this can recreate the thrill I felt while traversing the city with some added madness then sign me up!

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
What we saw looked fun for Crackdown fans, I doubt it'll suddenly convert millions of people though. It'll be excellent to mess around in it thanks to Game Pass and not have to worry whether the game's worth full price or not.

Yeah, it's gonna be a good Crackdown game but it won't be any Infinity War that will convert people into fans

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I'm looking forward to the SP more, but will definitely be giving the MP a whirl. Article mentions concerns about MP's longevity, hopefully this will see regular content updates to aleviate that in the near future.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this sort of cloud based physics processing will be leveraged for single player modes or if that's even feasible with current Azure infrastructure. Would love to see some next level destruction in another Red Faction.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have such low expectations for this game, but this is nice to hear. Hope it turns out to be mechanically excellent, and hoping the cloud destruction does bring something significant to this type of game.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I'm sure it'll blow my mind for the first few matches. Whether it can hold that interest is the question.

Either way, always nice to see new industry-leading tech actually being put to use in games (and not just relegated to a tech demo).

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Was literally about to ask why gamesradar of all places got an exclusive preview but now this ( and the hyperbole ) makes more sense.

It's the same company. All these articles from magazines get published on Gamesradar.

I think the tech is going to be amazing and I love how they've taken the time to smoothen the animations and the visuals. Just hope the multiplayer mode stays fun for more than a week.