• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even get around to watching season 3, and based on reactions I thought for sure this was cancelled

Guess I'll have to catch up sometime

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Once they showed how easy (ie, extremely) it was to change a host's entire personality and goals - like a third of the way into S2? - I was hard out. Nothing mattered anymore. A bunch of lunatics letting appliances kill people because they're too lazy to fiddle around on an iPad and/or they're too invested in their sex toys.

This show more than almost any other convinced me that robots will never be people.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
The action in s3 was also so piss poorly done. Pacing bad, story convoluted mess.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed season 1 so much that I'm in for this. Season 3 was a let down, but there were some interesting ideas buried in there. I felt like the worldbuilding was the best part.

That being said, I think they really need to deliver a solid season, or I don't see how this show can keep going.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Aaron Paul in Season 3.

Parts of it didn't work for sure. but I loved seeing world building, especially in a high-budget show.

Looking forward to the new season.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I need to rewatch season 3 before then because the only thing I remember is Aaron Paul.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Season 1 is one of the best seasons in modern TV and season 2 was pretty good as well, but that third season was just plain boring and filled with baffling choices from the writers.

This looks like more of season 3 and I will watch it, but at this point it feels like the show has run its course.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The fall from Season 01 - which I firmly believe is some of the finest television ever made - to S02 and S03 was borderline criminal.

But… I'm in.

At least Westworld S2 had Episode 8, an episode so good I actually remembered it without googling

Can't say that for whatever happened in S3 tho :P

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect excuse to rewatch season 1, which is truly exceptional. If season 4 is reportedly good, I'll bite the bullet and watch season 3 for the first time.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I completely forgot about Westworld! :|
As a super fan of first two seasons, didn't like third season at all and my hype is about zero for new season.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I enjoyed S3, honestly, but it's certainly a different animal than the slower, thought provoking Anthony Hopkins masterpiece we've seen before. It's fair to say I'm more invested in where it's going than what it is, which I guess is mild criticism.

I literally don't remember what happened at the end of season 3.

It's been awhile. Covid really destroyed the shooting schedule. But here is roughly how it went:

• Dolores (Evan Rachel Wood) has to adjust her plan to take over the world when she discovers that human society is already controlled by an AI ("Rehoboam") that is trying to prevent the collapse of civilization. It periodically eliminates people to prevent this, AKA "Minority Report". A delicious irony to her - humans controlled by AI - and something that slowly aligns her Caleb (Aaron Paul) a human targeted by the AI who still demands to exercise choice. Eventually, Dolores/original sacrifices herself to end Rehoboam, throwing the world into anarchy.

• Copies of Dolores are discovered in multiple hosts (Charlotte the Westworld company VIP, Connells the head of security, Sato the Shogunworld ronin) Although they are copies, they have been apart long enough to not all have the same agenda. Charlotte has trouble reconciling her human/dolores sides until her family is killed in a car bomb.

• Maeve (Thandie Newton) escapes a WW2 park and up making a deal to with the richest man on earth (Serac / Vincent Cassel) to (a) save Rehoboam and (b) kill Dolores. What's in it for her? A ticket to "The Sublime", the NPC heaven her daughter escaped to in S2. She switches sides in the end, realizing the cost of her deal. Maeve and Caleb look on at a city crumbling around them, Fight Club style.

• William (Ed Harris) escapes his asylum on a quest to kill all hosts, but on confronting Charlotte he is killed by a fresh host version of himself. Charlotte begins mass production of hosts at Delos HQ with her new ally/bodyguard/key stakeholder in Delos.

• Bernard (Jeffrey Wright) figures out that Rehoboam is only delaying the end, not preventing it. He ends up getting a key from Dolores into "The Sublime" to search for answers on how to rebuild. He wakes up in the real world, covered in dust, at the end of the season.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
idk wtf is going on anymore
do they transform now?
4.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the previous models of the hosts could do that.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
There's no way this isn't the final season, right?

Like everyone else, I loved the first season and was largely disappointed by what followed. Couldn't even finish season 3.

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why did I think this already had its series finale?
Definitely thought the same. Watched S1 at the time S3 was just starting and it was amazing, checked reviews and saw that S2 was meh and S3 was a burning trackwreck based on the currently aired episodes so I basically have treated it as though the show ended with S1. Probably missed some cool bits, but also happy with how that season ended and glad to accept it as a series ending in my mind at least. The summary above sounds linteresting but also an absolute clusterfuck. Barring some miraculous change and salvation in S4, I can't imagine how it makes it past to another season because, as you said, I feel like the general vibe online was that this show was already dead and over.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
In! Didn't hate the last season but pretty sure the creators have no idea where they are going. But all the actor are bringing their A game and it stays entertaining, and I didn't mind the indigenous semi-self contained one off that was a good allegory for the genocide they faced.

While it's selling itself as a high end meal when it's just Mcdonald's, the fries are always hot and the ketchup just right on the burger, lol

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This is another series that overstayed its welcome. I'm shocked there's a s4, I'll give it a watch hoping for s2 tier.

S1 was amazing, s2 was fine, s3 was what the Fuck tier.
Seriously. WHAT WAS THAT?!

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I recently did a rewatch of all three seasons and I've cooled a bit on S1 and enjoyed S2 & S3 more, especially S3 which I was hate watching at that point. I've come around again after the rewatch. It flows much better season to season when you barrel through it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I just struggle to care after S3. It was so meh.

In for more Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton, I guess...?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'll check out the first couple of episodes, but S3 was possibly the weakest season of a"prestige" tv show I've ever seen, so my expectations are pretty low.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The teaser looked interesting so I'll get back on the horse for one more rodeo. Let's hope S4 gets us back on track.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I love the sci fi aesthetic of 3, seriously a very good portrayal of that whole future modern stuff

Looking forward to this

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, I couldn't even get thru 3. Got like 2 episodes to finish and just gave up lol

Aaron Paul was the opposite of a draw.

I did like 2 well enough tho.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Season 1 remains one of the strongest single seasons of television for me. And a masterclass in being confident in your storytelling, and not caring if some of the audience figure out the plot twist. If you construct a competent and compelling mystery, then it won't matter if some people figure it out. Stop trying to fool Twitter/Reddit.

Season 2 largely forgot this lesson, but still had some great standalone moments. "Kiksuya" was fantastic and, fuck it, I LIKED Shogun World.

Season 3...outside of showing us the human world I honestly don't know what story they were trying to tell.

But still...I'm in.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Binged all three seasons toward the end of last year. Seasons 1 and 2 were mostly great with a wealth of memorable moments, but I remember almost nothing about season 3. It's like my brain blocked it out. I remember Aaron Paul being even more grating and out-of-place than usual, which was surprising because he was already an extremely bad actor prior to this. I remember Dolores being in futureland and meeting up with him. And...an evil technology overlord guy? No clue.

Either way I'll be watching this, so I guess HBO wins.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Binged all three seasons toward the end of last year. Seasons 1 and 2 were mostly great with a wealth of memorable moments, but I remember almost nothing about season 3. It's like my brain blocked it out. I remember Aaron Paul being even more grating and out-of-place than usual, which was surprising because he was already an extremely bad actor prior to this. I remember Dolores being in futureland and meeting up with him. And...an evil technology overlord guy? No clue.

Either way I'll be watching this, so I guess HBO wins.

Aaron Paul is a great actor. Misuse of his talents on Westworld with all the mystery surrounding his character not amounting to much.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
I stopped following the show after season 2.
Only the first season can be saved imo

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I remember the plot of S3 feeling very underwhelming, but S3 also had its moments. Still remember the sequence at the end of S3E1 being great.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't get past the first however many episodes of season 2 I watched. Can't remember how far I made it in, or what was happening really, just that it was structured in such an obtuse way that the basic narrative felt like a fucking puzzle which might eventually be solved if you're patient enough to stay on board to the end. It's just that the puzzle pieces it was delivering on the way were starting to look like a jigsaw of a blank overcast sky and I got bored.

A show about killer robot cowboys and samurai shouldn't have been that boring.