• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
it's sad to me that these people don't realize the show is at its absolute strongest when it's dealing with questions of identity/self-preservation/sci-fi philosophy etc etc.

this entire rehoboam nonsense pales in comparison to:
  • Dolores reaching the center of the maze
  • Maeve making the choice to save her daughter knowing that their relationship is fake
  • James Delos attempting to create immortality
  • Akacheta's journey to consciousness and how it mirrored and diverged from Dolores's
  • Charlotte-Dolores trying to claw her way out of her own body and trying to be a mother to a child that isn't her own
LIKE...how do you do all of this so well then choose to bog the show down with the most boring shit imaginable??? Westworld is simply THE biggest squandered opportunity HBO has probably ever had.

I know he isn't perfect, but can y'all imagine how much better Lindelof and his Leftovers/Watchmen team could have written these characters?

How is it nonsense??? The whole Rehoboam plot is literally all of that (sans immortality) except applied to the real world. This season is about how humans are governed by the same rules as hosts in Westworld and that Serac is trying to be the anti-Ford (and keep them from achieving consciousness instead of pushing them towards it). They have some facade of free will, with the believe that their actions can raise their social credit and lead them to a better life, when in actuality it's all been predetermined. Bernard literally said (I may have forgotten the exact phrasing), "They're coming out of their loops" when they were all shown their profiles, which is a clear callback to hosts starting to develop consciousness.

This IS the show at its finest and the showrunners are hitting it out of the park (no pun intended) right now

The only thing I do not understand yet is why does Dolores care about why humans are being controlled. Unless it's a general hate towards any sort of control that powerful people have over others. She isn't burning the world down, she's burning the establishment down and there's a difference between them, the only thing they haven't touched upon is why does she care about the latter instead of the former (though doing the former would make her a generic villain).
I think it's all been about her general hate of control and a lack of personal agency and free will and wanting to destroy that type of control in all forms. But I've also started to believe she's conducting a massive scale "experiment" on humans, much like Ford did, when he subtly prodded her towards achieving self consciousness. She wants to see what humans do, how they react and behave, when they're suddenly given true freedom as a way to reach a higher level of understanding herself and to pass that knowledge onto hosts so that they can evolve as well

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why is no one using the damn sights on their guns? How is the action always so flawed in Westworld?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Dolores wants to kill humans and replace their world with hers. Dumping everyone's Rehoboam profiles into public removes the guardrails that allow her to do both things.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Why is no one using the damn sights on their guns? How is the action always so flawed in Westworld?

Because Westworld just sucks at action. Originally, it was at least dressed up in stylized Western shootouts.

Whenever it went into modern fights -- Delos security, and now all of this season -- it's just ridiculous, and not in a fun campy way. These people ostensibly have auto-aiming guns, but no one ever hits anything, even when they're standing out in the open. The showrunners didn't think about that concept beyond the goal of "allow Maeve to turn their weapons against them."

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Why would Dolores need sights? The only other person I recall clearly using a firearm in the last episode was Caleb and the explicitly show him looking through the sight. Skimming through the episode again Marshawn and the lady are as well when they come in to back them up. Action is certainly flawed but you're just straight up wrong about this one.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because Westworld just sucks at action. Originally, it was at least dressed up in stylized Western shootouts.

Whenever it went into modern fights -- Delos security, and now all of this season -- it's just ridiculous, and not in a fun campy way. These people ostensibly have auto-aiming guns, but no one ever hits anything, even when they're standing out in the open. The showrunners didn't think about that concept beyond the goal of "allow Maeve to turn their weapons against them."
Yeah, the fake bullet stuff from S1 was kind of interesting. Now we have super future guns and very bulletproof taxis.
Why would Dolores need sights? The only other person I recall clearly using a firearm in the last episode was Caleb and the explicitly show him looking through the sight.
I just watched that scene and he very much does not. I understand that they're trying, but it's just sloppy.

bdleWsr.png

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, and then it switches to the shot I posted. I get what they're going for, but if Caleb's supposed to be ex-military, they could have gotten someone to actually do it right..
You're just nitpicking at this point, point shooting is a thing and you bet your ass ex-military would be using it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_shooting

This idea you have that you must to be looking down a sight for some reason is flawed in the first place, especially when it seems like he's just providing suppressive fire.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really in #TeamHumanity here, but serac is just awful as an antagonist to Dolores
He was completely crushed this episode
Lol

The Empire Strikes Back.

Bernard is an AI made with the looks of Arnold and parts of his personality. Martin is literally a copy of Dolores.

Bernard literally has Arnold's memories. Martin is the same in that sense. He's not fully Dolores it's more like a spin off or a child.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, some people in here are just the no fun zone people. I loved the episode and thought it was a fun ride with a lot of interesting concepts.

I just can't get behind analyzing weapon stances and shitting on Watchmen/Leftovers. I don't think I would enjoy a single show or movie if I was listening to Era.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

This is 99% of TV shooting action. Even shows with military advisers and all kinds of tactical know how screw this up all the time. Characters shooting all correct one second, the next they are spraying from the hip with super accuracy.

I mean it bothers me to see, but really I can't put this critique on Westworld when every show does it

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is 99% of TV shooting action. Even shows with military advisers and all kinds of tactical know how screw this up all the time. Characters shooting all correct one second, the next they are spraying from the hip with super accuracy.

I mean it bothers me to see, but really I can't put this critique on Westworld when every show does it

Action in almost any show or even movie is generally bad. Im usually not going to dock a show unless its egregious (e.g., season 5 GoT sand snakes)

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Yeah, I guess it's true, can't all be John Wick. I think I'm just extra annoyed with it, because a lot of the action in the previous seasons in Delos has been so dumb.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
am I the only one who has been enjoying this season a lot? especially the last episode.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Vincent Cassel having a better brazilian portuguese pronunciation than the guy they casted as president of brazil was kinda hilarious xD

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
That portuguese part was awful to hear. Serac spoke better than the guy they had for president, lmao.

My thoughts exactly as a native brazilian Portuguese speaker. It can't be that hard to find someone who actually speaks Portuguese for the part. It was ridiculous Serac sounded 10x better than the "Brazilian".

Should be noted that Vincent Cassel actually lives in Rio de Janeiro

But yeah, for a tv show that literally has a brazilian dude in the cast, they could have done better

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
I disliked the episode last night, a disappointment after a strong start. Not the thematic aspects of it, or the story beats... just the execution. I think it was poorly directed. All pieces where in place to tell this episode's story properly, if a more deft hand was in charge of it.

The only major issue I have with it was Caleb seeing Dolores take two AR shots, and not reacting in the lines of WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU? Or YOU'RE ONE OF THEM REPLICANTS GONE ROGUE! I like his character but surely by now he should have questioned Dolores' motives and origins with a bit more concern and curiosity.

Which then begs the question - is the general population not aware of the Host technology from Delos? Surely those parks are not a secret, and even if no videos captured by guests have ever leaked out (unlikely), there would be word-of-mouth reports and Delos Destination's own marketing materials (like the video Maeve sees at the park's train station) gives it away.

I will rewatch... maybe it will hold up better on a second viewing.

Edit - The president's portuguese was awful indeed. Actually the whole scene except Cassel was bad. The set was trying too had - why so many flags? Why so many ranking military officers on deck? The uniforms were not correct. If you're going to hold a clandestine meeting between a corrupt head of state and a power broker, why the pomp and circumstance? This show has such high heights that when it dips, it really hurts.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I guess it's true, can't all be John Wick. I think I'm just extra annoyed with it, because a lot of the action in the previous seasons in Delos has been so dumb.
Keanu Reaves got extensive firearms and martial arts training for the role, the kind of thing all actors can't get, especially for TV shows

The only major issue I have with it was Caleb seeing Dolores take two AR shots, and not reacting in the lines of WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU? Or YOU'RE ONE OF THEM REPLICANTS GONE ROGUE! I like his character but surely by now he should have questioned Dolores' motives and origins with a bit more concern and curiosity.

Which then begs the question - is the general population not aware of the Host technology from Delos? Surely those parks are not a secret, and even if no videos captured by guests have ever leaked out (unlikely), there would be word-of-mouth reports and Delos Destination's own marketing materials (like the video Maeve sees at the park's train station) gives it away.

Why would the general public be aware of host tech? They were solely used in Westworld, a theme park for the ultra elite. They're probably aware of it, but don't know how it works (they might even think they just use actors), but considering the type of fucked up shit people do in the park, details are sure to be kept to a minimum (what happens in Westworld stays in Westworld). And after hosts massacring a bunch of people Delos was sure to have covered it up entirely. Your suggested reaction wouldn't have made any sense. Plus the episode ended with Dolores being shot so we'll probably see his reaction next episode.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I disliked the episode last night, a disappointment after a strong start. Not the thematic aspects of it, or the story beats... just the execution. I think it was poorly directed. All pieces where in place to tell this episode's story properly, if a more deft hand was in charge of it.

This is kind of where I'm at with the season. Like, I don't really dislike much of it. I like most of the story beats though some events grind on me. But I'm just not connecting with it for some reason. I'm not overly invested with what happens like I was in the previous seasons. I suppose I can chalk that up to Bernard being sidelined and Maeve's main motivation (the safety of her daughter) being resolved in S2.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should be noted that Vincent Cassel actually lives in Rio de Janeiro

But yeah, for a tv show that literally has a brazilian dude in the cast, they could have done better
Wait I'm out of the loop — who's Brazilian in the cast?

That said, as a carioca, it's cool to hear Vincent Cassel lives in Rio :D

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
He reacted non-verbally in exactly that fashion. He doesn't need to say anything to give that reaction. As we still have three episodes to go, it is a reasonable assumption that he will also verbalize it.

Edit - The president's portuguese was awful indeed. Actually the whole scene except Cassel was bad. The set was trying too had - why so many flags? Why so many ranking military officers on deck? The uniforms were not correct. If you're going to hold a clandestine meeting between a corrupt head of state and a power broker, why the pomp and circumstance? This show has such high heights that when it dips, it really hurts.
It is not a clandestine meeting, the president states they could have met in the palace. It is a statement of who is in charge. They are meeting where Serac wanted it.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Why would the general public be aware of host tech? They were solely used in Westworld, a theme park for the ultra elite. They're probably aware of it, but don't know how it works (they might even think they just use actors), but considering the type of fucked up shit people do in the park, details are sure to be kept to a minimum (what happens in Westworld stays in Westworld). And after hosts massacring a bunch of people Delos was sure to have covered it up entirely.

I mostly agree with you, but let's consider... why wouldn't they? The parks - 6 of them - despite being very exclusive and definitely iron-clad in their IP and image/reputation management, have been open for over 30 years. That's a considerable amount of guests going through those parks, enough for reports of the hosts to be made public, even if partially. Machines indistinguishable from humans would be a major headline, wouldn't you say? See how Logan reacted when he is presented with the host technology. Here is a man that's been investing in tech companies and had seen it all, and his brain all but leaked out of his nostrils there. Also, Delos is a publicly-traded company, and investors surely want details on how exactly those parks work, viability, ROI, technology roadmap, competitive landscape and so on. Bah, I'm nitpicking. So much worldbuilding potential.

Something else that briefly crossed my mind yesterday when Serac mentioned to Dempsey Sr. that "he would be the cause for the end of the world": for a moment, I had this theory that Dempsey Sr. was the initial investor in Arnold/Robert's Argos Initiative to get the parks started before the buyout by Delos. Which then would lead to the creation of Dolores and she in turn brings the world to an end. Didn't work out that way...

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly agree with you, but let's consider... why wouldn't they? The parks - 6 of them - despite being very exclusive and definitely iron-clad in their IP and image/reputation management, have been open for over 30 years. That's a considerable amount of guests going through those parks, enough for reports of the hosts to be made public, even if partially. Machines indistinguishable from humans would be a major headline, wouldn't you say? See how Logan reacted when he is presented with the host technology. Here is a man that's been investing in tech companies and had seen it all, and his brain all but leaked out of his nostrils there. Also, Delos is a publicly-traded company, and investors surely want details on how exactly those parks work, viability, ROI, technology roadmap, competitive landscape and so on. Bah, I'm nitpicking. So much worldbuilding potential.
They look like humans, sure. But what else would leak out about their real capabilities? Guests see them die immediately from a single bullet, they see them on endless loops without any memory of previous loops, ... Everyone considers them mindless drones. Dolls. So even if you knew the park existed, why would you expect to see one of their robots doing more than their storyline?

Oct 27, 2017

Something else that briefly crossed my mind yesterday when Serac mentioned to Dempsey Sr. that "he would be the cause for the end of the world": for a moment, I had this theory that Dempsey Sr. was the initial investor in Arnold/Robert's Argos Initiative to get the parks started before the buyout by Delos. Which then would lead to the creation of Dolores and she in turn brings the world to an end. Didn't work out that way...

Yeah, but if someone in the know like Logan was so shocked, that should say something about the level of expectations that regular people have about what's currently possible. Like others have said, there's a big difference between robots that play very specific roles in a park (essentially really good NPCs in a game) versus robots capable of fully independent thought. The former is probably not too extraordinary, given the level of technological development in the show's world compared to ours, but the latter would still be a pretty big revelation.

Also being a publicly traded company doesn't mean all the secrets of their IP are out in the open. Even board members of huge tech companies aren't necessarily privy to the specific details of how the tech works. They've probably visited the parks themselves, found it to be compelling (much like William did), and the extent of their knowledge is "Yeah, this park experience is incredible and these robots act super lifelike", but again, that's different from learning they've effectively gained consciousness.

As for your other point, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. I wonder how detailed the predictions made by the machine are and if it's possible Serac didn't know that it would be a robot that would cause the downfall of his system. Another theory is that maybe the system did predict the anomaly would come out of Westworld, causing Serac to become an early investor and now driving his quest to capture Delores (because he currently has little to no data on hosts and predictions involving them are still not accurate enough)

Dec 11, 2017
Maeve and Dolores have spent the series discovering humanity and human nature.

For Dolores, she sees people like William and concludes humanity can't fundamentally change or improve. Maeve, through characters like Sizemore, sees that humanity has potential to change and grow.

Should this show make it to its planned 4 or 5 seasons I believe these ideologies will come to a head and the fate of humanity will ultimately be decided. Bernard, being a sort of hybrid, will likely be the factor that decides the winning side.

Last edited:

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Man, some people in here are just the no fun zone people. I loved the episode and thought it was a fun ride with a lot of interesting concepts.

I just can't get behind analyzing weapon stances and shitting on Watchmen/Leftovers. I don't think I would enjoy a single show or movie if I was listening to Era.

I feel the same way. Some people get so hung up on minor nit-picky stuff. Very common theme in most TV show threads on Era.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel the same way. Some people get so hung up on minor nit-picky stuff. Very common theme in most TV show threads on Era.

I get hating on things like Game of Thrones' final season. The story telling was awful and it just landed with a dud. I'm fine with discussing major shortcomings of a story. But when it turns into hating a show because everything isn't perfectly realistic, I tune out. Why does everything have to be perfectly realistic all the time? The shows would suck mostly. My wife loves some medical dramas, but as a medical professional she laughs because half the things in the scenes are wrong or talked about incorrectly. You know what though? She still likes the shows because it's about the story and the concepts.

If every movie and show maker listened to all of the critiques about realism and pacing that are on the Internet they would never get anything made and all of it would be so realistic it would feel like a slog.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I gotta say, the action scenes were awfully boring and utterly forgettable this episode. The driving was straightforward and the shooting was static, like there was minimal effort into directing them. Just really basic stuff, like an exchange of gunfire, none of the good guys gets a scratch, and they move on. Also I feel like the action only served to give Dolores & company an excuse to keep moving. In terms of plot, it accomplished nothing, they could've been barricaded in a secret hideout the whole episode. But then we wouldn't have the cool music and different settings.

At least the season 3 premiere made Dolores vs Connells kind of interesting by showing the action from inside a car with a backup camera. I think Westworld's most entertaining shootout is still Hector and Armistice rolling into Sweetwater way back in the season 1 premiere, lol.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine having an actor of Jeffrey Wright's caliber in your roster and doing NOTHING with him. God, this show is so bad.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know he isn't perfect, but can y'all imagine how much better Lindelof and his Leftovers/Watchmen team could have written these characters?
What?!

I have my problems with the show, but that is the last man I want trying to help with this show. If he was writing this, the "maze" would still be an unanswered overarching mystery at this point.
I gotta say, the action scenes were awfully boring and utterly forgettable this episode. The driving was straightforward and the shooting was static, like there was minimal effort into directing them. Just really basic stuff, like an exchange of gunfire, none of the good guys gets a scratch, and they move on. Also I feel like the action only served to give Dolores & company an excuse to keep moving. In terms of plot, it accomplished nothing, they could've been barricaded in a secret hideout the whole episode. But then we wouldn't have the cool music and different settings.
Worst part is that the makers were absolutely proud of this action scene, when I've seen better staged on network tv and basic cable. Only difference is the glossy look.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
People still incorrectly critiquing Lindelof without watching Leftovers / Watchmen, imagine how tired we are of it... imagine how tired we are..

If he had this show he would wipe the Nolans with it.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
At least for Bernard we are still promised something to come. Maeve is just support for Serac.
I could see both having pivotal parts in the finale but the writers don't have anything interesting for them to do during the lead-up. The season should be more focused on Serac like S1 was with Ford. Feels like there's ample material to be had there.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
am I the only one who has been enjoying this season a lot? especially the last episode.

I've been loving it. As have a couple of my friends who went off it a bit after Season 2. It's incredibly enjoyable to watch.

The last episode wasn't the strongest of the season so far - I wasn't mad on Caleb's episode long drug trip, felt like an editing distraction - but then I think the first four eps were reallly strong.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I've really liked the season as a whole but last night's was the first episode that fell flat for me. The genre drug effects were pretty pointless (and also detracted from the actual story being told) but I also thought the direction as a whole was weak. Something as major as Dolores dropping the world's predicted death deaths on each and every person did not feel nearly as momentous as something like that should have. The way Stubbs just popped out of the elevator at exactly the right moment looked off, like it wasn't blocked correctly. And there was something really odd about the way Dempsey's death played out too, not the least of which is because a tertiary character who we'd only seen once before was the one to kill him, and then she just walked off screen lol.

It was a reminder that I'm way more interested in Maeve and Charlotte's stories.

Unrelated side note: Vincent Cassel is an extremely handsome man.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, he and to a lesser extent Maeve, are being shoehorned in just so the characters/actors have screen time. This season really revolves around Dolores, Caleb and Serac.

And meanwhile, his storyline serves to illustrate the hosts' enthusiasm for hijacking each other's free will whenever the fancy strikes. Who the hell am I supposed to root for on this show, except perhaps Caleb, the definitely-not-a-secret-robot-or-brainwashed-Manchurian-Candidate?

And I sure don't hate watching Thandie Newton, but Maeve is too much of a self-consciously "cool character" that I can't ever suspend my disbelief watching her scenes.