• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

My name is Westworld. I'm on HBO. I'm just a regular drama on this channel. I was sent here to replicate the success of my cousin, but I got knocked off-course by overindulging in my worst impulses, and by the time I realized it, my cousin had already wrapped up and become...the highest rated series in HBO history. I hid who I really was under big budget spectacle until one day when poor writing caught up with me and forced me to reveal myself to the world. To most people, I'm an overly complex puzzle box. But in secret, I'm working with my creators to become a more straightforward character drama and protect my channel from viewer erosion. I am Westworld.

Inspired by the 1973 motion picture 'Westworld', written and directed by Michael Crichton, this one-hour drama series is a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the birth of a new form of life on Earth.

The 8-episode third season will premiere on Sunday, March 15 at 9/8c on HBO in the US and March 16 on Sky Atlantic in the UK. NOW TV will simulcast in the UK the same day as the US.

Returning Cast

Evan Rachel Wood as Dolores Abernathy
Thandie Newton as Maeve Millay
Ed Harris as The Man in Black
Jeffrey Wright as Bernard Lowe
Tessa Thompson as Charlotte Hale
Luke Hemsworth as Stubbs
Simon Quarterman as Lee Sizemore
Rodrigo Santoro as Hector Escaton

New Cast

Aaron Paul as Caleb
Vincent Cassel as ?
Lena Waithe as Ash
Scott Mescudi as Francis
Marshawn Lynch as Giggles
John Gallagher Jr. as Liam Dempsey Jr.
Michael Ealy as ?
Tommy Flanagan as Conells
Jefferson Mays as Liam Dempsey Sr.

Hlp3CTU.jpg

Videos

Season 3 Trailer
Incite Anthem

The Complete Westworld Timeline...So Far
Everything You Need to Know About Westworld (Seasons 1 and 2)

InlNDNG.jpg

Reviews

SlashFilm said:
Can Westworld reboot itself? The answer is: Maybe - but it doesn't really want to. Because while season 3 first starts off seeming like a brave new world, it's only a matter of time before the show is retreading familiar - and befuddling - ground.

LA Times said:
Westworld is an artfully produced trip through topical and imagined wormholes, and the fact that it loses its way as often as its characters lose their minds is at once apropos and frustrating.

Entertainment Weekly said:
My main feeling is I really enjoyed the show about cowboy robots in a theme park that apparently ended years ago.

Paste said:
Westworld is still a good time with its looming war on the horizon -- and it's even halfway comprehensible this time around.

Variety said:
Westworld doesn't need to be alienating to be good; it still is. But it may need to be alienating to be Westworld... In becoming a totally fine action serial, Westworld has taken a significant step back from being great

Last edited:

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Much looking forward to this. Thanks for the timely OT

like the title! but I was hoping for Bernard's "Is this now?" line instead of "Jump Ahead". Seems more apt lol

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait! But man, if there was ever a show I need a refresher for...

Will def check out the links you posted, thanks OP!

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
i really enjoyed S1, but lost interest in S2 so fast, maybe a couple episodes in and never really had desire to get back into it until now with S3. But ughhhh, I don't know if I can binge S2 to get to S3.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Love this show. Rewatching now and have one more episode left of season 1. I enjoyed season 2 quite a bit the first time, too.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care how dumb this show is, it has good production values and music and such so it's a fun timewaster for 60 minutes a week (basically the way I felt about GoT during seasons 5-7). Also I want Dolores to kick my ass in the robot revolution.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Don't think I ever watched season 2 and if I did then I have no memory of it. Will have to catch up because I need a series to watch now that GoT is gone and I'm so behind on Walking Dead.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I know it copped a lot of shit but I really loved Season 2. I loved the multiple timeframes being explored and ultimately converging in the end. I liked how it wasn't just Season 1.5 and took the entire narrative in a fresh direction. And honestly, seeing this doing very similar by moving the story to new places, has me super pumped.

Westworld is far from a faultless show. The acting in particular can be super hammy at times. But I honestly think it handles some higher scifi concepts pretty well for a television series, and Season 2 really doubled down on that stuff.

Really, really keen for Season 3.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Based on S2 and the reviews thus far it really feels like Westworld should have been a single season limited series.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Love this show. Rewatching now and have one more episode left of season 1. I enjoyed season 2 quite a bit the first time, too.

my wife and I enjoyed season 2 even more on our rewatch!

I think season 2 A) works better when binged and B) will be more fondly looked upon after series ends and people can see what they were going for with this series.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP seems strangely eager to shit on this show, hahahahahaha.

Can't wait to find out what Aaron Paul's character is all about. This show is due to pay attention to the non-super rich element of society.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see the ratings for this given the poor reception of season 2 and the continued lengthy breaks between seasons.did they already renew it for season 4? Won't be surprised if this is the last season.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Ready to watch this dumpster fire. Hoping we get at least one episode on the level of 'Kiksuya' again.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see Magneto and Professor X duke it out again.

Oh wait I mean Dolores and Bernard.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I rewatched the first two seasons over the last few weeks. Season 1 mostly holds up and is enjoyable to watch as it unfolds. Season 2 is just wank. There are some interesting bits here and there but it gets lost in the dirty tissue.

Will watch Season 3 to see if two years made a difference.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly tempted to give this show another chance. Loved Season 1, but Season 2 was just too much. Couldn't even finish it.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I really LOVED s1 and disliked s2, I want more cowboy robots in a park, but this does look very good so I hope it pans out

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
Not gonna lie, I really miss LOST and Fringe. Westworld seems to be a huge misfire compared to Bad Robot's prior output.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in, at worst it still has stellar cinematography and amazing characters. S2 was a mess but I can forgive a disappointing season for a show this promising.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Season 2 was just as good as Season 1. This is one of the best shows alongside stuff like Narcos, Mindhunter..
But then again. People seems to praise & enjoy dumpster fires & intelectualy insulting vomit like the Expanse (the last season was trash), Picard, ST:Discovery etc (which all BTW have horrendous acting & cinematography alongside other diahera inducing issues)

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 2 was just as good as Season 1. This is one of the best shows alongside stuff like Narcos, Mindhunter..
But then again. People seems to praise & enjoy dumpster fires & intelectualy insulting vomit like the Expanse (the last season was trash), Picard, ST:Discovery etc (which all BTW have horrendous acting & cinematography alongside other diahera inducing issues)

Season 2 wasn't a dumpster fire by any means (some of the series' best episodes came out of it), but they scrambled the storyline in a way that just made events more confusing rather than more engaging. Season 1 had a well built timeline twist, imho they tried too hard to outdo that by having half a dozen timelines and things going on to make sure nobody figures it out before the end. My main wish from season 3 would be going back to a more linear narrative like in S1, because the setpieces, actors, characters, stories still work, but they don't have to be convoluted for the sake of it.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I like this show but I also dislike how intentionally obtuse it tries to be to appear clever and cerebral. It has this MO of not making sense until the last two episodes. It sounds nice in theory for it to all "come together" with added context, and even works for some things but it tries to do that for every single plotline and then throws multiple timelines into the mix. At which point it starts feeling like it's obtuse just for the sake of being obtuse. It's fine of some people figure out where the story is going, that's what attentive viewers do, but trying to throw them off so that they don't figure it out would only mean the pacing has to be inherently nonsensical and random until the end...and that's not very enjoyable.

Season 2 is specifically guilty of this.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Season 2 had that one really good episode so hopefully this is more of that. The gaps feel so long between seasons that I barely remember what happened or how I felt about it besides vague notions.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember very much of Season 2 at all... Just that they killed my favorite character again.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I am dreading any sort of reveal that they are still in the park. I don't think they can or will, because it would be very stupid. Very, very stupid.

Probably the reveal is that the whole world is controlled / influenced by someone. So the metaphor is the world is a "park" and no one is free. Seems very WW

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
really hope this show is good again. s2 had some highs but the needlessly obtuse plotting & some truly terrible finale writing left a sour taste

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably watch it once the whole season is out. But then again, I pretty much did that with the second season and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like this show but I also dislike how intentionally obtuse it tries to be to appear clever and cerebral. It has this MO of not making sense until the last two episodes. It sounds nice in theory for it to all "come together" with added context, and even works for some things but it tries to do that for every single plotline and then throws multiple timelines into the mix. At which point it starts feeling like it's obtuse just for the sake of being obtuse. It's fine of some people figure out where the story is going, that's what attentive viewers do, but trying to throw them off so that they don't figure it out would only mean the pacing has to be inherently nonsensical and random until the end...and that's not very enjoyable.

Season 2 is specifically guilty of this.

Very different circumstances, audiences and whatnot, but they should try to approach it the way Saw does. There, there's a trademark giant twist at the end that usually turns around what you may have been your explanation for the events so far, both in terms of the core game of the movie and the mindgames behind it all. It seemingly drops you all the hints in the process, but it just happens to omit 2-3 key details that in hindsight seem obvious but that were not shown, so by the end you're like "should have seen that coming!" but really you shouldn't have because in the cuts at the end they added a few details that were not shown beforehand.

The way Westworld (S2 in particular) does it is just absurd because everything is completely scrambled. You see the same characters in completely different timelines. You have real people and their "clones". You see things that are inside somebody's head or not see the things that a robot is programmed to not see. You can't trust anything that you see, because this scene about this man and woman talking could be real people 50 years ago, a memory, a dream, two robots talking, one robot and a real person, a real scene with fake details, etc. etc.. You're just rolling with it, waiting for the final episode to explain it all, and in the meantime you try to spot from the shape of the beard or the clothes which timeline this might be. That's an obtuse way of hiding a mystery. It's like solving a rubik cube where after every move you make the pieces are randomized again. You never really get closer to the solution because you never know what the game is gonna do to throw you off for the sake of it.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Recently rewatched season 1, and season 2 and the topped it off with replaying Westworld: Awakening.
Can say I'm thoroughly hyped for season 3 now.

And the acting in season 1 is still astounding, Evan Rachel Wood just kills it in the role.
One of my peeves with season 2 that still held up on my rewatch was that the jumping timelines made it hard to appreciate the acting as much as season one. Instead of taking it all in and seeing the nuances of the facial expressions, my mind was constantly trying to fit scenes into the time frames.