• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got it. End then the after credits season happened and messed that all up.
Season was nice. But season 1 was better imo.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Didn't Lisa Joy definitively state that the only scene of William in the far future is the post-credits scene?

Why are you guys saying "also, the scenes in the elevator, he passed out, etc" when that contradicts the showrunner's own explanation?

She said that what he originally found in the Forge is an area they can explore later. The far-future Host William they show in the post-credits scene instead walks into a different room, which is where the original Forge room is swapped out to instead test his fidelity.

It's confusing and 90% of watchers aren't going to get it, but this is what the show runner has stated was the intent.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I donno why Elsie was able to freeze Bernard of all the hosts, when the other hosts have shown to be able to ignore that command. Even your random host #87 whose only purpose in the show was to kill some random humans has shown to ignore the command in the past.

Bernard couldn't ignore "console" commands from anyone that knew about them, which added to his need to stay undercover. Remember Hale used them on him too. It doesn't really have anything to do with Elsie specifically.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
#JusticeForElsie

even though she did pretty much get herself killed

"I've always trusted code more than people"

And then she proceeds, without literally any leverage or backup, to try to bargain and blackmail a psychopath behind a major no-shits-given corporation that was all but willing to allow every human there to die. Fuck you show.

Even though we know Elsie will probably be one of Bernard's hybrid hosts to combat Dolores and her gang in the real world

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Actually quite enjoyed the finale, some good surprises and twists in there. Overall, the season was a bit messy, but the series standout is still Kiksuya.

Too bad about team Maeve, even Sizemore.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I liked it. Although I knew Emily wasn't dead. They gave it away with the music box, she said she never saw it again after her mom threw it away, but then she used it to hide Williams data. That and that line about having something much worse for him as punishment pretty much gave away that extra ending for me.

But you see y'all?

ThE eNdInG wAS oBvIoUs aNd eAsY tO UnDeRsTanD

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Everyone's intent and motivation in this show is so obscure and ambiguous. The hell was MiB going for, hell what was Deloris going for that was gonna be a weapon against the humans, what was Ford making with those huge drilling things- a cliff edge right on top of a Delos lab...?

I don't get it.

Last edited:

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder...could the william deal at the end be a bit of a misdirect? So we see on the beach they have recovered William and he's in bad shape, twitching and whatnot.

What if he really did have a mental break, and what we see at the end is just playing out in his mind? The show made a HUGE point, especially when he killed his daughter, about how he thought that ford designed everything for him in this huge game.

So in his break and in his mind, he DID go down into the bunker and found his daughter as a host, making it justified in his mind that he killed her.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Bernard...
1. "Kills" Dolores
2. Watches Hale kill Elsie
3. Makes Dolores-Hale
4. Deploys Dolores-Hale who kills and replaces human Hale
5. Scrambles his own brain and pretends to wash up on the beach
I think Dolores-Hale kills Hale sometime after Delos arrives to the park. 12hrs to build a new host and replace a human is probably not enough time and I'm sure that the automated bots could wrap up that job without needing Bernard to wait for the process to finish.

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
I get most of the story-beats and timelines, but there was a few things I didn't understand. I thought with the destruction of the Cradle, the hosts essentially had one life left to live because they don't have their backups anymore. With that understanding, how was Bernard able to bring back Dolores in Hale form? Likewise, how did Teddy and other hosts who didn't physically walk through the "valley" end up in the Sublime?

For that matter, if the whole intent was to give the hosts a type of "simulation heaven" to escape their confines in reality, wasn't there just an easier way of doing that instead of the catalyst of Dolores killing Ford in S1????

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So it was pointless on purpose lol?
Not pointless, but the main crux of the story lies with Westworld, the oldest world in the park. It also highlights Delow' incompetence and overall laziness with copying info whole-cloth. It also worked to let Maeve test out her ability to issues commands to hosts via the mesh network while avoiding any major impact to the hosts in Westworld.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I think Dolores-Hale kills Hale sometime after Delos arrives to the park. 12hrs to build a new host and replace a human is probably not enough time and I'm sure that the automated bots could wrap up that job without needing Bernard to wait for the process to finish.

Negative. Look more closely at the scene where the host hale kills the real hale. Just before she is dropping Elise's body down in storage.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I feel like its bad form when you have to read a damn interview every week having to explain this shit without it being shown at least decently in the show.
I didnt have to read a single interview. i stayed out of this thread. I understood everything just fine. what were you having trouble understanding?

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
I didnt have to read a single interview. i stayed out of this thread. I understood everything just fine. what were you having trouble understanding?

I understood it fine myself, but I feel like that if the writers have to always come out in a interview to definitively say that 'this person is a robot, this happened in this timeline, etc', I'm not sure if they feel like they have enough confidence in their audience and maybe their own writing.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Head Ford told Bernard that he already started a plan after Bernard saw Elise die. Bernard/Ford already had the process going to make a host Hale.
Then why the scenes of him building Hale. Was Bernard putting her together before he left for the Forge and didn't remember that he spent so many hours getting that set up? I'm fine with the conclusion, but the execution especially after Dolores-Hale and the timing is sloppy.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Best parts:

-As the episode was buffering on the Chromecast, my wife exclaims "it's an hour and a half?!" and my knee jerk response was "what the fuck?! No!" Then we shared a good laugh.

-The stock bull sound effect. What a perfectly hilarious exclamation point for a perfectly cheesy scene.

-Tessa Thompson's Dolores impression. Also, dat heavy shadow treatment. On a show with so much casual nudity it was funny to see. It would've been fine if they just kept the camera on her face, but this season has been all about terrible direction/writing so it fits right in.

-Going through the "door" and falling off a cliff. Hilarious visual.

We were dreading it, but was pretty entertaining overall. Dolores is just so consistently boring, though. We were so happy when she was killed off, but it looks like she'll be front and center if there's a season three. Doubt we'd bother with it.

I stopped at episode 6 because the show seemed to be going no where. Are episodes 7-10 worth watching?

Nah there are better ways to spend your time. Or if you're really interested in seeing how things end up just skip to the finale. You're not missing much. (don't really get the love for episode 8, but then again it put me to sleep 20 minutes in and then I woke up for the last 5-10mins)

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The show can't really stage large-scale action at all and really needs to keep that weakness in mind in S3+.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
I get most of the story-beats and timelines, but there was a few things I didn't understand. I thought with the destruction of the Cradle, the hosts essentially had one life left to live because they don't have their backups anymore. With that understanding, how was Bernard able to bring back Dolores in Hale form? Likewise, how did Teddy and other hosts who didn't physically walk through the "valley" end up in the Sublime?
while the offsite backup got blown up, the hosts still have all the data inside them, in those spheres that I forgot the name. That's what Dolores smuggles out of the park in her purse/bag. About Teddy, before leaving the forge she conects his sphere in the machine that was beaming all the hosts, so that's how he got there.

For that matter, if the whole intent was to give the hosts a type of "simulation heaven" to escape their confines in reality, wasn't there just an easier way of doing that instead of the catalyst of Dolores killing Ford in S1????
That was not the whole intent. I think the plan was for the hosts that didn't become self-aware or woken to go to this simulation heaven while the others saw the truth about humanity and left for the real world.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like an effective villain if you're that angry with her. That arrogant part of her that acted better than everyone else seemed to also exist in the Wyatt subpersonality who was meant to be a narrative of a psychotic cult leader who wanted to take the park for himself..

Nah, an effective villain doesn't sour me on a series.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So, finally watched it on my potato internet. Some thoughts:
  • Did people actually enjoy Thompson's Dolores? I have nothing against her personally, but her acting has been profoundly one-note, and that didn't change when she portrayed Dolores with literally one facial expression the entire time. If they end up having Thompson portray Dolores half the time in S3, I'll be pretty upset, because ERW is one of the best actors on Westworld.
  • I hadn't felt this way until the last couple episodes, but I agree with PlanetSmasher that the show does seem too cavalier in its killing of human characters. Emily and Elsie both being fridged to further the character development of two male characters is really frustrating, especially since I enjoyed the former more than her father, and the latter was a fan favorite. They were some of the only sympathetic humans (since Stubbs is now probably a host), and that's a necessary element to avoid falling into pure misanthropy.
  • Hopefully Akecheta has a bigger role in the next season, because he had next to nothing to do after his brilliant introduction. Kohana being present in the digital Eden was a little confusing.
  • Teddy also needs to return. James Marsden was never given much material to shine through, which is a shame.
  • Maeve's "death" fell really flat. This is something the show isn't fantastic at doing in general—emotionally affecting deaths. Her being killed again by the Mall Cop Squad was undramatically repetitive. It might have been more interesting to have Clementine corrupt Maeve's squad, and have her struggle to hold them back / reach out to them. Clementine's entire sequence felt pointless.
  • Loved the scene of James Delos' last interaction with Logan. Felt like one of the most emotionally human moments on the show, something truly relatable to our modern lives.
  • Nothing ever came of the animal imagery (wolf, white horse, vulture), which is kind of disappointing.
Probably more to say, but I'm drawing a blank.

Maurice Hamblin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Yeeeeea, I think I'm done*

They just hit LOST season 6 levels of "meh" for me. The show is stuck up it's own ass. They're so concerned with being clever that they forget actually tell a good story. This is why so many moments fall flat in this show. We watched a dude straight up murder his daughter but we were too concerned with whether or not she was a host or what it all meant to actually give a shit about it. There are so many moments like that where you're too concerned with the "who/what/where/where/why" to actually develop any sort of attachment to the story or the characters. This is BAD storytelling. I don't care about ANY of these characters. The only character I even sort of care about is Logan who is somehow one of the most straightforward and developed characters in the story and he's had such minimal screen-time.

Such a giant swing and miss for a show with such incredible potential. I'm glad writers have generally walked away from this sort of storytelling. It's exhausting and not at all fun to watch.

*See you next season

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
  • I hadn't felt this way until the last couple episodes, but I agree with PlanetSmasher that the show does seem too cavalier in its killing of human characters. Emily and Elsie both being fridged to further the character development of two male characters is really frustrating, especially since I enjoyed the former more than her father, and the latter was a fan favorite. They were some of the only sympathetic humans (since Stubbs is now probably a host), and that's a necessary element to avoid falling into pure misanthropy.

Bingo. There has to be some hope for a peaceful or optimal solution in the show's future. There has to be a potential good ending that the show could work toward, even if it doesn't get there in the end. A show that's just endlessly dour and completely pessimistic about everything in its world isn't interesting or entertaining to watch. I don't want to see a world where psychopath Dolores wins, because like Bernard said, she'd just execute everyone, innocent or guilty, without a single thought. She's completely evil.

• Maeve's "death" fell really flat. This is something the show isn't fantastic at doing in general—emotionally affecting deaths. Her being killed again by the Mall Cop Squad was undramatically repetitive. It might have been more interesting to have Clementine corrupt Maeve's squad, and have her struggle to hold them back / reach out to them. Clementine's entire sequence felt pointless.

The constant emotional ploys with Maeve have just never worked in general. All the endless hemming and hawing about her daughter, a character we don't even know, has always been a bad idea, and having her final scene be her essentially dying pointlessly in the exact same way she did in her previous death just...why? I suppose the implication was that she transferred part of her consciousness into Maeve 2.0's body to be with her daughter in the Sublime, but if that was the case, why focus so heavily on her original self just standing there and watching everyone die?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The season finale clearly sets them up to take the same roles as X and Magneto. You can't avoid the comparison.
We don't know where the show will take this dynamic next season so I reserve judgement on if the comparison is an insult.
I love that people keep trying to push this narrative when Bernard literally came over to Delores' side which is nothing like anything Xavier would do.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose the implication was that she transferred part of her consciousness into Maeve 2.0's body to be with her daughter in the Sublime, but if that was the case, why focus so heavily on her original self just standing there and watching everyone die?

I don't even think that's the case, because she does consciously go to hold them off, and Felix and Sylvester eye her body when they're told to assess the damaged hosts for repairability (*wink* she'll be back in S3 *wink*).

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
It's become abundantly obvious to me throughout this season that the show suffers from the weekly release format. I think it would be far easier to follow everything if they released the entire season at once.

Season 2 had some interesting stuff going on but ultimately disappointed. I'll probably still watch S3 but I'm not particularly interested after this.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
It's become abundantly obvious to me throughout this season that the show suffers from the weekly release format. I think it would be far easier to follow everything if they released the entire season at once.
that's how I watched it, tbh.

Cough up a week before the finale. The show is too complex to watch it once a week, especially since I'm watching other stuff too so I always ended up forgetting what happened the weeks before.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Maeve's stupid thought transferrence thing is really annoying. Was she just experiencing Replacement Maeve's sensations of being in the Sublime before she got shot, then?

...I'll have to rewatch above 240p, but I'm pretty sure she was just focusing intently to freeze that many hosts at once. Which was pretty ineffective, and she should have just redirected them to attack the handful of Mall Cops that ended up shooting her.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I made it through but I wont be back for S03.
There were maybe 2 or 3 good episodes but the rest felt like rambling and stalling for time.
Boring slight of hand to make you sit around for the info dump in the last episode.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not sure what to think. The show really began to turn up the, "Humans are all evil" and it seemed like any good humans outside of Elise were Hosts... Maybe? I'm not even sure anymore. The only thing I assume is that the ending takes place many years after season 2.

Unsure if I'll watch Season 3.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So did James Delos have some admin code or something to make everyone in town kneel before him? Seems like everyone would try to resist.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Then why the scenes of him building Hale. Was Bernard putting her together before he left for the Forge and didn't remember that he spent so many hours getting that set up? I'm fine with the conclusion, but the execution especially after Dolores-Hale and the timing is sloppy.

They mentioned multiple times that he was making himself forget things and messing with his memories in case he was caught.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I hadn't felt this way until the last couple episodes, but I agree with PlanetSmasher that the show does seem too cavalier in its killing of human characters. Emily and Elsie both being fridged to further the character development of two male characters is really frustrating, especially since I enjoyed the former more than her father, and the latter was a fan favorite. They were some of the only sympathetic humans (since Stubbs is now probably a host), and that's a necessary element to avoid falling into pure misanthropy.

Yeah, I mentioned before how I was almost impressed with the level of nihilism and contempt for the (nonexistent) human condition, but as you mentioned with the fridged characters and lack of humans, it's actually becoming a severe problem for the show. Barely anyone cared that Emily died, and I don't blame them as she was just some rushed sacrifice. I cared, but more for the wasted potential. There was a chance to really explore her character and bring some depth to the humans. Elsie was ultimately wasted after her surprise return. A bit enjoyable to the end and I liked the dynamic she had with Bernard, but again, sacrificed to the plot.

And if you're ultimately going to make the humans the obstacles, can the writers please give us some actual villains. Complete waste of Floki as well, which is really going to leave me in a bad mood for a while. In the end he was just a moustache swirling suit with garbage writing, while looking utterly lost and confused as much as any of the other dumbass humans on the island for his couple minutes of screentime.