• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you enjoy Western or Eastern Games MORE?

• Western

Votes: 388 37.1%
  • Eastern

Votes: 658 62.9%

• Total voters

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
I am open to both but thinking about it, I would say 18 out of my top 20 games of all time are Japanese. Matter of taste.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I tend naturally to prefer Japanese games; not because I purposely chose them, but just because western gaming rarely does anything that appeals to me. Save some exceptions in the 90's (where, honestly, they were trying to follow the footsteps of Japanese franchises) and some few Indie games nowadays.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
eastern ones seem to care a bit more about mechanics and less about superfluous stuff..also western developers don't seem to know how to make a decent boss battle most of the times

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Good games appeal to me. If I had to break down my favourites, most of them are probably by Western devs, but I wouldn't consider that being a preference.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I certainly play more western games.....but I consider people like Miyazaki,Ueda and Yoko Taro to be the greatest minds working in the industry today.
I enjoy games that appeal to me and a game can appeal to me for various reasons....where it is made is not one of them.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eastern by far. I do enjoy western indie games, though they tend to be ones inspired by Japanese game design philosophy. Modern western AAA is straight up trash and poison to the industry.

Last edited:

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
It depends on the game. But most the games I've played this year have been Eastern. And most the games I'll be playing the rest of the year are Eastern.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
When I was growing up it would be more Japanese but now it's pretty damn even heat -- I really don't feel like I have a strong preference at all. In the last week I've played and enjoyed Baldur's Gate II, Division 2, but also Monster Hunter World and I've started Fire Emblem Three Houses. In the last few months I've played Ys VIII but also Outward.

Division 2 is a weird sort of outlier. I normally don't enjoy Western AAA games at all but something about it has clicked with me.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Prrrrobably Eastern, but it feels like choosing a favorite child so I wasn't able to put a definitive answer in the poll. Final Fantasy is my favorite series of all time, but there have been definitive masterpieces from both sides and my top 10/20/100 has a pretty even spread.

Oct 30, 2017
My top five consists exclusively of japanese games, but at the same time I feel a bigger disinterest for a certain section of japanese games than I do for any western games (the ones with strong animu vibes usually).

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Pointless sexualization and objectification of women is a prevailing issue with many Japanese games, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. In my youth, I would have answered Japanese, but due to the aforementioned point, I find myself preferring western games these days as sexism immediately ruins a game to me. Dark Souls is great though, and I adore Nintendo games.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I play more western games, but the eastern games i play, i normally enjoy them way more than westerns.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
For the most part, I generally dislike a lot of the child like disposition of a lot of Japanese games and an often anime aesthetic doesn't appeal to me at all. I certainly like some Japanese games to be sure, I think Capcom generally has great output, I'm super excited for Death Stranding but by and large I prefer western games, more specifically RPGs from the west.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Eastern. Better stories, better music, better characters, more style and substance to gameplay. Most of the time anyways.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese games, mostly because Nintendo and in general they just feel better to play and are more fun to me.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Eastern and Japanese. Most Western games have lost that great gameplay magic for me but are a few exceptions but thats it really.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It used to be Eastern, but these days those games are so dumbed down and the writing and stories have become so bad that I tend to go for Western games most of the time.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I don't care where it comes from as long as it's good.

Only exception is jRPGs with anime style. Just no.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher, Diablo, Mass Effect, Shadowrun Dragonfall, World of Warcraft, Assassin's Creed, Arkham, Talos Principle, Prey, Divinity, Half Life, Portal...

I love Nintendo's output but I'm definitely a bigger fan of Western games, generally.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Been buying much more Japanese-developed game in recent years since they tend to favour gameplay over cinematic AAA storytelling.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
They each have their pros and cons but if I had to choose I'd say I lean more to eastern developed games because they tend to be a little more crazy when it comes to gameplay and story ideas and they also tend to focus more on fun.
This

Better art styles and WAY better music in general as well

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I tend to play more Western games. I don't like the anime look in general so that dampens my interest towards many Eastern games. I would recommend Yakuza 0 to anyone who asked me about it though.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
This is perhaps a little meta, and I am not complaining about this thread, but why are there so many polls over the last few months? I really don't think polls add much to a discussion. It's kind of icky like people want to use the popularity of an option in a poll to make one opinion for valid than another.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy both, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that lately it's been Western games that I enjoy more. Though with this year it's in favor of Japanese games, while next year will be completely even.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely love both with a preference for Japanese games. For me Kojima/Miyazaki/Ueda/Sakaguchi are gaming's Mt. Rushmore and I absolutely adore the Capcoms & Platinums of the world, as well as old school Squaresoft and Konami.

That said I need my Eurojank, WRPGs, Immersive Sims, and Sandbox games from Western devs. They are vital to my gaming happiness and make up some of my highest highs.

This gen out of my Top 10, six games are Japanese (Bloodborne,BOTW, MGSV, Last Guardian, DkS3, DMC5) and four are Western (RDR2, Prey, Witcher 3, NMS) so pretty even.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy both, but definitely Eastern. I just prefer the focus on more linear, controlled experiences.

NiNoKeni

Dec 4, 2017
I do think categorizing games into two really broad regions doesn't do much in terms of discussion.
However if I had to choose I do think western games are all around more better games as a whole, While eastern games do reinvent gaming more often, they also do 1 aspect very well but the other qualities suffer for it. I guess cause the budget aren't as high

Jan 21, 2019
I love all no matter who makes them, but the Japanese tend to go crazy and over the top more often and I enjoy that more and grounded stuff (Yakuza>GTA). But I love that more and more cultures are creating and distributing games.

EDIT: Funnily enough, while I prefer Japanese design more, I also am appalled more often by Japanese design. For example, when I see Days Gone, I just get bored and look away, but some shit from Japan is just so fucking terrible that I am embarrassed that it exists.

Last edited:

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
I love me some Eastern games like the Metro's, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Stalkers and the Witchers.

The west gave us Undertale, Child of Light and Cosmic Star Heroine though.

Ended up picking east!

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
80% japanese games 20% older western PC games.

I'm not big on anime and Japanese writing, but I don't care much about stories in games, and when it comes to pure gameplay, Japan has that shit on lock.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like both a lot, but Nintendo puts the Eastern option over the top for me. Their games are almost too good

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Option C.

I'll take Spider-Man on monday, Persona 5 on tuesday, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey on wednesday, Fire Emblem on thursday, The Last of Us on friday, and Dragon Quest Builders 2 all weekend long.