• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I don't want to call people out but i searched a few of your profiles for "seagate" and your reaction to the price of the Xbox's expansion card was quite different than the "Good price" reaction you're giving here.

Why would you go all the trouble of reading history posts instead of understanding that this is 3 times faster at almost the same price lol.

Oct 29, 2017
what happens when you have multiple competing products at the same price?

edit: SN750 is $135 on Amazon right now
It could mean "We all use roughly the same components and got the controller from the same manufacturer". Which is kind of how the first NVMe 4.0 drives launched last year.

Here WD's SN850 is matching the 980 PRO to the decimal point. It may be all in my head, but I really think they don't want to give the idea that theirs is the "cheaper" option. The SN750 was not as good as the 970 EVO Plus, and has gone down in price further. However I'm not that impressed with the 980 Pro even though it is clearly the current best m.2 nvme in the market, the differences may be non-existent, or the WD may be the better drive this time.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but if the Xbox drive is getting crazy hot in it's larger form factor, do you expect an even faster SSD to maintain those speeds at those temps in such a small enclosure? I'm not sure... Heat increases resistance and slows electrons.

There's a proper air flow going through there to cool it down. They spent a lot on the cooling solution, I'd trust the engineers on that. And I thought the Xbox heating up was a fake rumour?

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
There's a proper air flow going through there to cool it down. They spent a lot on the cooling solution, I'd trust the engineers on that. And I thought the Xbox heating up was a fake rumour?

The XSX probably does get warm/hot. But given what's packed inside of it, that's understandable. Whether it gets so hot that it would cause any sort of issue with the device is unlikely. The thing looks like a chimney and has a fairly large fan pushing air out of the top of it. I don't think you could get a much better design for it....just look around at all of the chimneys used to vent houses/buildings.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Was that the one where a journalist got his hands burned oe something? I have to admit haven't followed the story very closely so you may be right.

No he didnt get his hands burned. He touched the metal part of the adapter after pulling it out of the console and said it was hot - which is normal. People were being overdramatic saying he burned himself.

SSDs run hot. USB drives run hot. It's normal.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
RGB lighting great.

I love it when they make things uglier in ways that increase the price.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
229 doesn't sound too bad. I still remember when I paid 170 euro for 512gb Samsung Evo Sata SSD in 2015!
Now I can get >10x that speed. Hopefully, over 2 years these prices will drop even further and that's when I'll strike :D.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
No he didnt get his hands burned. He touched the metal part of the adapter after pulling it out of the console and said it was hot - which is normal. People were being overdramatic saying he burned himself.

SSDs run hot. USB drives run hot. It's normal.

Oh yeah lmao. That makes sense. So it was just overblown as everything is nowadays.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
229 doesn't sound too bad. I still remember when I paid 170 euro for 512gb Samsung Evo Sata SSD in 2015!
Now I can get >10x that speed. Hopefully, over 2 years these prices will drop even further and that's when I'll strike :D.
yup prices will come down with time and we'll see larger storage options at this pricepoint. PCIE gen3 nvme drives have dropped significantly in price over the past few years. Expect the same as time goes on.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Check your Corporate Benefits if you plan on picking this up, I could get 15% off on my end in their store. I'll hold off for now until we have comparisons to the 980 Pro

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
That's not bad at all. Prices will surely drop moving forward and I like how these are an addition to the existing storage. It's not like the PS3 and PS4 where you're replacing your storage.

It's probably just a standard 2230/40 size in a custom enclosure. Those are generally more expensive regardless of the custom enclosure anyway, but hopefully once the exclusivity period goes away for Seagate, prices drop.
Why would they even do that though? Assuming Microsoft gets a cut if third party peripheral sales, it seems greedy. Damn near vita memory card status. We are getting storage that's way better than the XB solution on PC and PS5 for around the same price. Even when competition kicks in, non standard formats always have some dumb markup.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Are those with heat sinks compatible with PS5 or they aren't mountable inside the PS5 due to added space?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people are so fessed up about RGB, modern RGB is incredibly customisable in terms of intensity, colouring etc. Glass panel cases are in these days so RGB is pretty cool for it.

And even if it's not your thing, guess what? It can be turned off. Everyone can be happy.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I applaud Sony for going with the standardized NVMe it should help with prices in a couple of years. For those bashing Xbox, Microsoft went with CFExpress (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFexpress) which doesn't support PCIe 4.0 yet, but will eventually. I'm sure if it was available MS would have supported PCIe 4.0 with their SSD cards. I'm assuming MS didn't want to compromise their motherboard design and figured the SSD cards would be an easy and elegant solution to having users opening the case and screwing on a new chip or having space on the split motherboard to mount the SSD.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, I do love the simplicity of the solution even though it is proprietary. I generally don't like fiddling with my systems to begin with. One of the biggest reasons why I've yet to dive into building my own PC.

yeah I like the portable solution as well. This gen seems to be more interesting because of how they both approach things differently.

Sony usually makes changing the drive very easy. In this case it's even easier because you're not actually replacing your main drive so it should be as simple as putting it in an The system doing the rest.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I don't want to call people out but i searched a few of your profiles for "seagate" and your reaction to the price of the Xbox's expansion card was quite different than the "Good price" reaction you're giving here.
These are much better drives than the Seagate one for XBOX, for one. Also, the fact that these are coming out at the same price point is exciting, because prices for these will come down much faster than the proprietary one. Also, you can actually do something with these after you take them out of the PS5.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Why would they even do that though? Assuming Microsoft gets a cut if third party peripheral sales, it seems greedy. Damn near vita memory card status. We are getting storage that's way better than the XB solution on PC and PS5 for around the same price. Even when competition kicks in, non standard formats always have some dumb markup.

Complete speculation, but their surface devices use similar sizes so they may have made some deal with manufacturers that benefit their pricing there. Doesn't help consumers, but it may provide some insight into why they did what they did.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
My question stands: do you think they don't know or otherwise didn't account for this? I don't get the concern.
I'm not concerned, just trying to have a discussion about it but have been responding to knee-jerk responses from people concerned that anything other than blind approval is somehow bad... Both companies obviously chose to go different directions, but that doesn't mean that discussing it and looking at the good and bads of those decisions is in any way a bad thing.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Their livestream starts in 10 minutes if anyone's interested in more info about this.