• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
That's nice. WD is one of the most trustable company in storage, imo. Never got a single issues with their products.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the ones on the far right was an internal drive

The second one from the left is the one that's going to be compatible with the PS5. It's for the expansion slot, so internal storage.

Edit: just saw your edit, there's been no confirmation that the one on the right will be supported on Xbox afaik.

Last edited:

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Man, I don't want to call people out but i searched a few of your profiles for "seagate" and your reaction to the price of the Xbox's expansion card was quite different than the "Good price" reaction you're giving here.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shit @ those prices. Personally 2TB seems like the absolutely minimum sensible option to get, I put 2TB drive in my PS4 and I'm out of space even without next gens even bigger game sizes. That internal ~600GB on PS5 will fill up super fast and that will most certainly have a negative effect on my purchase habits/impulse buying stuff on the PS Store.

Hopefully the prices halve very fast as competition heats up or Sony has some other solution to the storage problem, as ain't no hell I'm paying these prices for measly drives.
once again. this is not like PS4 lol. it does not replace the drive. it can only add in addition to the system memory. so 1TB gives you an *extra* 1TB of space in addition to the 825GB you already have

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I don't want to call people out but i searched a few of your profiles for "seagate" and your reaction to the price of the Xbox's expansion card was quite different than the "Good price" reaction you're giving here.

This is a non-proprietary PCIe 4.0 SSD at 7GB/s speed that you can stick into any other compatible device. Of course the price is much better than a PCIe 3.0 slower proprietary disk.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

this is a fantastic price for the speed you're getting. you realize the Xbox SSD is much slower right?

this also works in my PC and is a fair price compared to what I paid for the drive I'm using now.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
There is a reason this SSD is way faster. it's a better price to speed.

Oct 29, 2017
Exact same price as the 980 Pro for the 1TB model. Same thing happened when the SN750 launched at $249 which back then was the MSRP of the 970 EVO Plus.

Not saying it should have any other price, but I think it is a way for WD to say "hey we are exactly as good as Samsung".

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
sure, because that's the same price for an SSD with less than a third of the performance and with a proprietary format that will prevent prices from being driven down. why would people applaud that?

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there is a difference in terms of pricing as this is not proprietary, People were expecting prices to be higher only because the speeds are much greater than average.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
This is a non-proprietary PCIe 4.0 SSD at 7GB/s speed that you can stick into any other compatible device. Of course the price is much better than a PCIe 3.0 proprietary disk.
just a correction, I believe the Xbox Series expansion is still PCIe 4.0, it just uses two lanes, so runs at approximately 3.0 speeds.
Part of the reason it's still a little pricier (besides the proprietary price gouging of course).

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

No need to try and start console warring.

Here you go:

They're different value propositions.

Xbox's proprietary solution can only be used for Series S/X, is (significantly) slower, but is hot swappable, simpler to use, and when more come out, should hopefully drop in price (especially as the market gets faster).

Sony's solution is much faster, uses a known standard that many manufacturers already produce, can be used on both PC and PS5, and you don't have to swap internal storage around (ala PS4) or do a full teardown to install it (faceplate + NVME cover).

So, different approaches. Personally, I much prefer Sony's as proprietary solutions always create an additional barrier to the consumer, but the Xbox solution definitely has its advantages over Sony's in terms of portability between Xbox consoles.

For me, though, being able to buy super fast storage for both my PS5 and PC is awesome and cannot be understated.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Exact same price as the 980 Pro for the 1TB model. Same thing happened when the SN750 launched at $249 which back then was the MSRP of the 970 EVO Plus.

Not saying it should have any other price, but I think it is a way for WD to say "hey we are exactly as good as Samsung".
Yeah I think all initial prices will be the same and higher speeds would be a bit more.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
These expand--they don't replace.

Yeah, that certainly helps but still I feel like going anything under 2TB for extra storage will likely not be enough if I'm trying to avoid having to constantly delete/redownload stuff.. but I realize it's a new technology and the prices of storage will come down, just hoping it won't take too long:)

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm guessing we'll have a good list of compatible drives by the end of the month once all the tech companies have announced their new products, which usually done in October, right?

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Could someone post that SeriesX chart showing that you can install new games directly to the expansion ? My friend is saying it acts just like an external. And I'm sure that's wrong.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Urrrgh FML.

Alright man, you win. an SSD certified to work for the PS5 (which should at least mean it can hit 5.5GB/s equivalent speeds on demand) is not really that fast and not as good as the guaranteed 2.4GB/s we get on the XSX/S SSD expansion.
Are you arguing that Seagate X/S drive will be faster than Gen 4 NVME, or that Gen 4 will be faster but not as much as the specs here would indicate?
The only way to expand storage such that you can (i) store, and (ii) play your games from that storage is via the proprietary solution. It's not a narrative--it's literally what is happening.
I have no idea what's even being argued, or why its a debate, lol.

Also...TIL proprietary had different meanings.

I thought when someone tried to argue weeks ago the speed that Sony want the drive to be as proprietary....I thought that couldn't be topped. We getting close....lol.

SAKY

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Let it go, it is literally what you think it is. Opinion bias always moves the goalposts if there is there is even slightest bit of information to lean on. All camps do it, especially in a forum like this.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what's even being argued, or why its a debate, lol.

Also...TIL proprietary had different meanings.

I thought when someone tried to argue weeks ago the speed that Sony want the drive to be as proprietary....I thought that couldn't be topped. We getting close....lol.

To be fair, this is a website that commonly misunderstands all sorts of terms. No one should have expected otherwise with 'proprietary' imo.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm stunned these aren't more expensive. It's easy money. I mean you wanna expand storage you've got no choice.
I think all those other gen 4 drives using the Phison controller that came out last year took the wind from under Samsung's and WD wings. Had they been the first ones to launch NVMe gen 4, rather than being a year late, I'm sure they would been quite more expensive.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
once again. this is not like PS4 lol. it does not replace the drive. it can only add in addition to the system memory. so 1TB gives you an *extra* 1TB of space in addition to the 825GB you already have

Yeah, I get that but I buy a lot of games so will still likely run out of space sooner rather than later..

Has Sony said anything about using external drives for PS5 backup purposes (not booting games, just storage) , or is that option for PS4 only?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I get that but I buy a lot of games so will still likely run out of space sooner rather than later..

Has Sony said anything about using external drives for PS5 backup purposes (not booting games, just storage) , or is that option for PS4 only?

You should be able to use it for cold storage, yes.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe....compare the specs of the drives....?

Series X card - 2.5GB/s
This card and the EVO 980 Pro - 7GB/S

$220, $230..

it's not too hard to figure out why the different reactions.

Many assumed 7GB/s was gonna be $300, 350....at a minimum...

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

you can use them for backup, yes. not just for ps4 games

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017

I thought that was a thing as well but learned yesterday it hadn't actually been confirmed by Sony. So, right now we just know that an external drive can be used for PS4 games. It would be odd given the capacity of the internal drive that they didn't allow for cold storage of PS5 games on an external drive....but who knows until they tell us directly?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, you can use USB drives to play PS4 games from.

spwolf

Oct 27, 2017

what happens when you have multiple competing products at the same price?

edit: SN750 is $135 on Amazon right now

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if some ppl are being willfully obtuse, disingenuous...

Its hard to tell.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Will this be available at launch? Wondering if there will be any 2TB drives available on November 12th

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

The speed is insane! On the downside, I didn't know SSD's needed a heatsink?

SSD's can get up to upwards of 70c under load, usual operating temps are 50-60c. Most high performance ones will come with a heat sink of some sort. They're usually one of the hottest running components in a machine.