• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Samsung really set the trend and it looks like everyone will follow. The price has nowhere to go but down from there. Like i have always said, Sony using the standard m.2 slot was the right call here for future expansion.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll likely get myself a 1 TB within 6 months of release. Sooner, if the lack of space really bothers me.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not? The only difference is that you need to remove the plate to remove/insert the SSD.
I don't see people pulling and unplugging their machines, opening up their expansion bays removing their cards and reattaching everything every time they want to use thier cards in this scenario, there's no comparison to ease and effort of plug n play process.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
There's no "kind of" proprietary. There is only one form of expandable storage that functions as storage and an expanded drive for playing S/X games--and that's this solution. You cannot use this solution outside of the S/X consoles, and it's hardware specifically developed for a single use--expanding the storage of the S/X console lineup.

Just because other manufacturers make it does not mean it's not proprietary; many, many manufacturers make Apple lightning cables. That does not affect the proprietary nature of the lightning cable itself, as it can only be used on Apple products.

The nand chips aren't proprietary and will benefit from scale like any, just not the plastic form factor. That's not as big a deal.

if there's more than one manufacturer pitted against each other, it could play out as little to no proprietary tax, but we'll see. i assume microsoft will slap a tax fee on there too, hopefully a smaller one.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Generally, the heatsinks are either not pre-installed anyway or easy to remove, so I doubt they'll sell a different version without the heatsink.

It's $20 extra for the heatsink on the WD Drive.
shop.westerndigital.com

WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™ SSD PCIe® Gen4 for PC or Laptop | Western Digital | Western Digital

Long load times are obsolete with next-gen PCIe® Gen4 technology. Arm your system with RGB lighting, an optional heatsink model, and up to 2TB1 capacity.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
The nand chips aren't proprietary and will benefit from scale like any, just not the plastic form factor. That's not as big a deal.

if there's more than one manufacturer pitted against each other, it could play out as little to no proprietary tax, but we'll see. i assume microsoft will slap a tax fee on there too, hopefully a smaller one.

The nand chips aren't the issue--making them interface with the S/X is, and that's the proprietary aspect of this.

In the realm of possibilities, sure--competition will help. However, I don't think there's anyway there will ever be "no" tax--you're paying for a product to use on a given system and for only that system. There's always a tax related to that. Always.

Anything would work as as sn external, why would they even bring this up?

Because folks are interested in expanding storage such that they can play games from that storage?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, didn't realize this one actually sold the heatsink separately separately. That's actually the better way to do it since nowadays, in the PC market, many higher end motherboards actually come with NVME SSD heatsinks anyway.

The prices are really good. I bought an Aorus 1TB PCIe 4.0 drive for my new build at just at $200 (maybe a bit more) and it's still only advertised at 5GB/s.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I don't see people pulling and unplugging their machines, opening up their expansion bays removing their cards and reattaching everything every time they want to use thier cards in this scenario, there's no comparison to ease and effort of plug n play process.
Why not? The plates are designed to be easy to remove. You also don't need to remove both. Is not a hard task for the minority who will actually do this.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
I was referring to the 2 TB one. Would be pretty pointless to upgrade to 1 TB imo

It's not an upgrade, ie a replacement. It's in addition to. You would get about 1.5 TB of usable way storage after this. I would prefer a 2 TB addition as well, but I wouldn't say adding 1 TB is pointless. Going from 664 GB (or whatever the rumor is) to 1.5-1.6 TB is pretty decent.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018

Economies of scale

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry but I dont trust in WD. Very bad experience in all my years as a pc gamer. I prefer Crucial or another brand.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017

That's like saying wire are not proprietary so the lightning cable will benefit from scale like any. The form factor is not really the reason for the price, exclusive branding and licensing carries with it a certain "certified" tax. If you look at an Xbox Official WD SSD 1TB it is $185 but a Samsung 1TB SSD which is twice the speed is $150.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
This replaces the drive that's in it right? So 1TB is useless since that's basically what's there, need the 2TB to actually get more storage.

Edit: Seems it is additive! That's good.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
Shit @ those prices. Personally 2TB seems like the absolutely minimum sensible option to get, I put 2TB drive in my PS4 and I'm out of space even without next gens even bigger game sizes. That internal ~600GB on PS5 will fill up super fast and that will most certainly have a negative effect on my purchase habits/impulse buying stuff on the PS Store.

Hopefully the prices halve very fast as competition heats up or Sony has some other solution to the storage problem, as ain't no hell I'm paying these prices for measly drives.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Shit @ those prices. Personally 2TB seems like the absolutely minimum sensible option to get, I put 2TB drive in my PS4 and I'm out of space even without next gens even bigger game sizes. That internal ~600GB on PS5 will fill up super fast and that will most certainly have an effect on my purchase habits/impulse buying stuff on the PS Store.

Hopefully the prices halve very fast as competition heats up or Sony has some other solution to the storage problem, as ain't no hell I'm paying these prices for measly drives.

These expand--they don't replace.