• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, up to episode 3 of centaur world and it is indeed great.

Waaaay better than one may think at first blush.

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i wanna like centaurworld more but almost every episode feels bizarrely slowly paced. i really liked the first episode but after that it became a real slog for me. im not a huge fan of musicals but like, i could get by if every song didnt feel like it stopped the plot and then agitated the problem even more by having all characters get into an extended conversation over a misunderstanding of what they're supposed to do.

i think the positives overall outweighed this problem for me- if it gets a second season or so id probably watch it, but yeah the pacing is outright abysmal for a light and comedic cartoon. i cannot fathom how the first season was originally supposed to be 20 episodes- it feels like theyre stretching the runtime of the ten they have.

• I really like that they just went for it in terms of animation- the show animates pretty well which couldn't have been a small feat given the cast is almost primarily based off horses with a couple of exceptions. Combine the fact that they went two different animation styles to represent the two worlds and a variety of patterns that would be hard to animate for the main cast, its really quite the looker.
  • When the stories aren't completely stalled out it's a decent amount of fun. I don't think it's super great though- a lot of stuff kind of just felt like it was going to be explained later like the other human or who the nowhere king was or the war against the minotaurs before they moved to the other world and while we get a huge big action scene, it feels fairly pointless because the villain more or less just respawns and i had a hard time following the rules of his character. we barely get ANY insight into rider after reuniting with her- its hard to get a grip on what she's thinking about all this. as much as i liked the weird art style corruption arc for horse, it also feels random and unexplained. in general this show seems to be running on rule of funny- but also for drama too, which isn't really working for me when we have so much wasted runtime. plots feel like they often run in a circle- the finale especially- horse has to go back to say hi to her friends which for the plot activates the nowhere king and the other human decides to get involved off-screen? why wasn't this more condensed? likely to fit in the original musical number before this and to prevent the audience from asking why they didn't just go in the portal during or before the song.
  • character design was great- i could clearly tell horse was 3d at certain points but honestly if it wasn't for just some very slight things about the way that character moves and the line language of that character, i don't think i would have ever been able to tell. they clearly had a lot of fun with the character design and while some designs kind of had to grow on me, overall i really liked it.
  • i unfortunately just didnt really care for a majority of the musical numbers which may be why i didn't really like the pacing. they do their job of expressing character emotion and motivation but often that's told before or after any given song, which to me feels hand-holdy to an absurd extent. people probably feel differently on this one- i did not care for pretty much every phineas and ferb song ever created, so use your own judgement on that.
  • humor was kind of just okay. i like adventure time, they like their fart and butt jokes too, but i dunno, something about the way this series really likes to use it was almost overbearing to a point. a lot of the characters are just different type of idiots so they say the kind of things you'd expect without really going into any unexpected territory. one character is a klepto, she is just going to steal stuff a lot of the time and make jokes about it. maybe i need to watch this in a different setting but i didn't feel like the dialogue was especially funny or even inversely profound.
  • this show, as suggested by the trailer, does tend to get dark. about the darkest part actually involves horse pretty much attempting suicide by whale- it's not really explicitly that but it comes off like that. honestly that whole sequence kind of felt weird and im not sure i really bought it either. we don't really spend that much time in the darker action-adventure world and the nowhere king feels like they really wanted him to be a threat but i kind of just saw him as a inferior version of the lich. it can get surprisingly dark but like most of the time it doesn't really feel like they want to commit to the weight of that.
  • i just honestly could not get a good read on where this show wants to go in the future. they set up the nowhere king to be the main antagonist but his deal is more or less kind of just the lich from adventure time, except he might also have a unexplained link with the other human character who can't kill him for whatever reason. horse says she's gonna stay behind in centaurworld to form an army to stop the nowhere king but if thats the sole focus of season 2 i cant imagine the pacing problem gets any better. they might explain things more with wammawink and some other characters- i dont think the giraffe guy really got a spotlight episode. maybe horse changes even more of her appearance while in centaurworld. i dunno, it just feels overall like the series has some lingering stuff but could just end right here and i wouldn't really feel like we missed a big opportunity.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony Pictures Animation's Vivo out on Netflix this week August 6th! Lin Manuel's "In the Heights" team!

Trailer and full song:

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Any impressions on jellystone?

I am mostly....eh on it.

I just finished it and quite enjoyed it. I wouldn't call myself a hardcore HB fan. Like, outside the "big" titles like Flintstones and Scooby Doo, sure, I watched a little bit of Top Cat, Pixy+Dixy, Yogi, etc back when CN was 90% this stuff but that's it. I barely know these characters. And yet, they feel really fresh here. It's like watching a Hanna Barbera equivalent of the Rudish Mickey Mouse shorts. The essence of the original characters are here but they're updated to 21st century standards plus there's a bunch of crazy deep cut references and appearances.

If you're worried about not being able to get to the end, the last episode has a really fun anime parody. I love how we've come a long way from just large eyes and/or a Sailor Moon/DBZ reference in Western anime parodies.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you're worried about not being able to get to the end, the last episode has a really fun anime parody. I love how we've come a long way from just large eyes and/or a Sailor Moon/DBZ reference in Western anime parodies.

I can't be the only one that's getting a liiiitttllee tired of Anime parodies thrown in just for references sake? Mind you, I don't know the full context of said clip (Jellystone doesn't come here untill the fall I believe), but it reminds me of Animaniacs 2020.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Man, there is almost nothing to look forward to in the animation industry. The WESTERN animation industry. Any complaint you might have about the video game industry can be applied to western animation, tenfold.

Hilda is great, but who do you know IRL that has even heard of it? Hazbin Hotel is also very promising. But those are exceptions that prove the rule.

Instead of leading the charge for better cartoons, streaming is hellbent on peddling the worst shit ever.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, there is almost nothing to look forward to in the animation industry. The WESTERN animation industry. Any complaint you might have about the video game industry can be applied to western animation, tenfold.
for you perhaps. idk if youre gonna only highlight stuff you think is shitty and dislike then i could see how you would hate it

for me im currently watching the owl house and monsters at work- one of these shows is outright great week to week, the other is kind of merely okay but i like it. tuca and bertie is criminally underrated, im also watching that. i just finished up centaurworld and while it wasnt for me a lot of other people enjoyed that one. this is all stuff im watching week to week or just recently. i still need to finish up jellystone too. and while this is dipping into the back catalog a bit, cleopatra in space is on hulu and im watching that as well.

for me i have the return of amphibia to look forward to as well as the fourth episode of adventure time: distant lands. and owl house season 2b, and alex hirsch's new show on netflix called inside job. i dunno! just seems like you just arent into the hobby anymore, arent willing to give shows their fair due, or would rather just complain. which i get, its fun to do to an certain extent but it gets old.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

Hilda is great, but who do you know IRL that has even heard of it? Hazbin Hotel is also very promising. But those are exceptions that prove the rule.

Instead of leading the charge for better cartoons, streaming is hellbent on peddling the worst shit ever.

What are you talking about? Western animation has been great lately and streaming has been pushing great content (to the point that content creators describe streaming as the only ones not afraid to push the boundaries). You have to be living in the box to think otherwise.

Also what is with the emphasis on "western' in your comment. Are you going to suggest that non-western animation is magically better? Because that's a take that's as hot as it's dumb

Last edited:

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
for me im currently watching the owl house and monsters at work- one of these shows is outright great week to week, the other is kind of merely okay but i like it. tuca and bertie is criminally underrated, im also watching that. i just finished up centaurworld and while it wasnt for me a lot of other people enjoyed that one. this is all stuff im watching week to week or just recently. i still need to finish up jellystone too. and while this is dipping into the back catalog a bit, cleopatra in space is on hulu and im watching that as well.

If those are the best cartoons you can conjure up, then that doesn't really disprove my point.

Also, why are twitter artists who draw for fun better draftsman than professionals actually employed in the industry?

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I take no pleasure from complaining. Like I said, I love Hilda and the Hazbin Hotel pilot, and Invinicble looks very good. But those are respites from a deluge of crap coming from all directions.

Listen to animators on Twitter when they talk about how terrible and depraved the whole industry is. It's no wonder it's so rare for anything good to get made. And unlike video games, there's not a thriving indie scene (no thanks to YouTube).

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If those are the best cartoons you can conjure up, then that doesn't really disprove my point.

Also, why are twitter artists who draw for fun better draftsman than professionals actually employed in the industry?

those are the cartoons im personally enjoying. by no means am i saying anything factual about them- just my personal opinions on them. i think you could, in theory, find shows you like on the streaming market if you really wanted to.

also this "why are twitter artists who draw for fun better draftsman than professionals actually employed in the industry" is not a question i can accurately answer so im not sure why you thought i could, but there's a big difference between needing one person to draw good as opposed to a whole team needing to draw characters consistently and understanding a whole artstyle. some shit is just way more hassle to animate, the kind of small details you wouldn't think would be a big deal.
I take no pleasure from complaining. Like I said, I love Hilda and the Hazbin Hotel pilot, and Invinicble looks very good. But those are respites from a deluge of crap coming from all directions.

Listen to animators on Twitter when they talk about how terrible and depraved the whole industry is. It's no wonder it's so rare for anything good to get made. And unlike video games, there's not a thriving indie scene (no thanks to YouTube).

i mean, if you wanna talk about how the industry is, by all means be my guest, theres certainly been some spotlight on it from various different creators. it's by no means ideal, but this thread is usually about discussing western animation in general, what we're watching, what we're excited for. generally negativity doesn't provoke the best responses for community threads and nor is it something that can be really changed by viewers at home. we can challenge it but ultimately my only response is that every industry needs to unionize for their best interests of the workers or find alternatives like hazbin.

i find your inability to stay on topic rather annoying- my post had nothing to do with how cartoons looked and yet you brought up this whole "twitter artist is better than team of cartoonists, why?" angle out of nowhere. likewise this second post really has nothing to do with you sharing two trailers for shows you dont like on the surface, so why did you bother sharing them? you're giving attention to things you vehemently dislike for no goal other than to complain.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Because there is no real discourse about animation anywhere. At least with video games, you have Jim Sterling and others calling attentions to the myriad ways the industry is fucked up.

Cartoon fans nowadays have no capacity to care about cartoons beyond pop culture references and lesbian kisses. As long as cartoons have those, I don't think most cartoon fans couldn't care less about anything else.

Last edited:

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cartoon fans nowadays have no capacity to care about cartoons beyond pop culture references and lesbian kisses.

i just feel like thats flat out wrong but you do you i guess. ill enjoy what i watch and you can continue to not enjoy the hobby.

Because there is no real discourse about animation anywhere. At least with video games, you have Jim Sterling and others calling attentions to the myriad ways the industry is fucked up.
it's not like the video game discourse has improved the industry in the slightest. its still hard to get work, we just saw theres a bunch massive rampant sexism problems that run not just across blizzard but throughout the whole industry, crunch is incredibly rampant... and yet games aren't coming out fast enough, don't look next-gen enough, have monetization tactics that are even more insidious to those with gambling problems....like yeah, what exactly does jim stephanie sterling accomplish? it's good that it's being called out but it's just become a worse industry with incredibly loud voices decrying it.

with all due respect, it's not like not calling it out never accomplished anything, but ultimately there are things out of our control as consumers and beyond talking about it when it's relevant. i just don't really vibe with the ideas you're putting out. like yes, there should be more effort to make sure people are being treated right, but it's not like we're being ignorant when creators talk about this stuff.

we all gotta support each other. enjoying something doesn't mean you also can't criticize the way it was made.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
i just feel like thats flat out wrong but you do you i guess. ill enjoy what i watch and you can continue to not enjoy the hobby.

Read the discourse of just about any modern cartoons that's talked about online. 90% of the time, it's going to be pointing out all the references to other TV shows and movies, OR gushing about how great it is that two girls kissed in the last episodes.

Take away those two things, and almost all of the most talked about cartoons would be totally ignored.

And it's funny that there's like a dozen threads in the other forum going on about the games industry, but I'm the only one talking about the animation industry in a similar light.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new project from Genndy Tartakovsky that is supposed to come this year. there's only 4 months left.... I'm starting to get worried it's gonna get delayed to 2022 at this point :(
it probably will although streaming services also generally just dont do trailers until it's like a month out from release.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
it probably will although streaming services also generally just dont do trailers until it's like a month out from release.
Did it get cancelled for Cartoon Network? last I heard it was coming to Cartoon Network and HBO Max so they need to promote it for the station at some point.

Though I suppose they don't need to promote it that far in advance, I mostly just want to see something for it, and there's been basically nothing on it in months despite a 2021 release and I'm impatient :P

I like the promo pic, and the theme is up my ally, and there isn't that many other western cartoons on my radar right now.
Like I will check out Molly Mcgee because of Ashly Burch , but without Ashly I don't think I'd even be checking it out without lots of praise for people because the stuff I've seen hasn't really gripped me yet.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
oh i saw hbo max and assumed it would be an original lol
totally fair :P but as far as I know it's supposed to be both https://www.animationmagazine.net/s...genndy-tartakovskys-unicorn-warriors-eternal/

Now whether that means it will air on CN and then the eps will air on HBO Max the same day, or air on CN and then later come to HBO Max or all episodes release on HBO max the day it starts airing on CN and the CN airs the rest on a weekly basis... no clue :P

Could even potentially have the stargirl treatment where they air on the same day weekly, but the hbo max (dc universe) version is uncut with extra scenes and the CN (or in stargirls case CW) version has a few scenes cut.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
So, it doesn't seem like I'm all negative, the recent Danger Mouse reboot is the best recent reboot I can think of.

It stays true to the characters, premise, and essence of the original, so changes that are clumsy and hamfisted in other reboots (like modern technology, pop culture references, and gender changes) don't stick out as much. It doesn't feel like the product of apathetic people chained to a legacy IP by neophobic Hollywood.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
IDK what are you talking about, RN im watching Amphibia, The Owl House, Infinity Train, Tuca And Bertie, Hilda, Mao Mao, Gumball, and also waiting for Undone S2, these are all ongoing high-quality shows from different sources and genres. Maybe we are not in the recent golden era but its far from bad.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
IDK what are you talking about, RN im watching Amphibia, The Owl House, Infinity Train, Tuca And Bertie, Hilda, Mao Mao, Gumball, and also waiting for Undone S2, these are all ongoing high-quality shows from different sources and genres. Maybe we are not in the recent golden era but its far from bad.

Almost all of those shows are cancelled or are going to be. And again, if most those are the best animation has to offer, then that doesn't really disprove my point.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
Almost all of those shows are cancelled or are going to be. And again, if most those are the best animation has to offer, then that doesn't really disprove my point.
The only show that is even close to being cancelled in that list is Infinity Train and the list i provided is full of creative and high quality stuff, i could also add Close Enough, invincible, Harley Quinn, Final Space, The Dragon Prince, Solar Opposites, Star Trek Lower Decks, Kid Comic, Glitch Techs Love Death and Robots (im not sure if it was made in asia or maybe some episodes were) and midnight gospel to the list. There is an upcoming marvel What If tv show, Star Wars stuff, and in the future, new Animated Avatar content.

Cartoons are far from dead.

Pls, help me understand you, could you provide a list of Western Animation Tv Shows that you consider good or excellent? maybe a year were you think you had something to look forward in the cartoon scene?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
The only show that is even close to being cancelled in that list is Infinity Train and the list i provided is full of creative and high quality stuff, i could also add Close Enough, invincible, Harley Quinn, Final Space, The Dragon Prince, Solar Opposites, Star Trek Lower Decks, Kid Comic, Glitch Techs Love Death and Robots (im not sure if it was made in asia or maybe some episodes were) and midnight gospel to the list. There is an upcoming marvel What If tv show, Star Wars stuff, and in the future, new Animated Avatar content.

Pls, help me understand you, could you provide a list of Western Animation Tv Shows that you consider good or excellent? maybe a year were you think you had something to look forward in the cartoon scene?
to be fair owl house is done after the 3 episode season 3 for sure, that is 100% confirmed and amphibia is like 99.9% chance season 3 is the end because it's a disney show and even early on besides disney the creators said it was planned for 3 seasons. So yes they are still ongoing, but there is clear end paths for both (and that's likely a good thing, for the record)

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
to be fair owl house is done after the 3 episode season 3 for sure, that is 100% confirmed and amphibia is like 99.9% chance season 3 is the end because it's a disney show and even early on besides disney the creators said it was planned for 3 seasons. So yes they are still ongoing, but there is clear end paths for both (and that's likely a good thing, for the record)
Yes, i have the same opinion as you, i like that they will be over soon instead of having 10 seasons, but they are still part of the current cartoon landscape and we still have a lot of time until both shows are over. Also disney will most likely announce new stuff to replace these 2 and ducktales, if they haven't announced them already.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
User banned (permanent): homophobic dog whistling over multiple posts, previously banned for racism

Hilda is great. But it's very obscure outside of certain internet circles. I bet if it had more anime references and lesbians more people would care about it, since the only thing most people watch cartoons for nowadays.

I really was impressed by Hazbin Hotel; That's something I'm looking forward to.

Like I said, the Danger Mouse reboot was great.

And the new Looney Tunes shorts were pretty good.

All of those are competently drawn, and don't look like a blindfolded man doodling on a bar napkin.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
I bet if it had more anime references and lesbians more people would care about it, since the only thing most people watch cartoons for nowadays.

and don't look like a blindfolded man doodling on a bar napkin.
Please be honest and tell me if you are just trolling or something, it feels like you are not ready to have a serious and non-toxic conversation about this topic.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he was complaining about puppet rigs 2 pages ago its pretty clear he does not care about even remotely having a real discussion about the state of animation if it doesnt involve completely drawing cartoons by hand. which, actually a ton of cartoons actually still are, it's just the process has become digital for inking because its better and faster:

if he cared at all about the well-being of workers in the industry he wouldn't be whining about the way they do it, because it's efficient and nowhere near as stressful or consuming as the days of old.

just ignore him and move on.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Please be honest and tell me if you are just trolling or something, it feels like you are not ready to have a serious and non-toxic conversation about this topic.

No, I'm being totally serious. Would anyone bother with shows like Steven Universe, Owl House or She-Ra, Star Trek: Lower Decks or Jellystone if they didn't have one of those things?

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
No, I'm being totally serious. Would anyone bother with shows like Steven Universe, Owl House or She-Ra, Star Trek: Lower Decks or Jellystone if they didn't have one of those things?
I hereby politely ask you to not quote me or anyone in the thread until you have some serious and non toxic thing to say instead of your usual lunatic bs.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lowkey was worried about this not finding an audience on adult swim and dying a second time but i suppose thats not a worry anymore

this show is really good, i need to make more of an effort to talk about it but i feel like they've been doing a really good job at keeping it light and fun while not also being afraid of keeping it real

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
Hooray! Show's pretty good. Sometimes it gets a bit Too Real but then some surreal animation/meta joke happens and it's okay. Definitely my favourite adult animation show on right now.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Centaurworld is the poster child for "there's never a bad idea; only bad execution." Why is this show so good (the character animation is especially fantastic).

How did the pitch for this show even happen!? It's like a high-quality/younger audience version of the type of shit you'd see on Adult Swim at 3 AM.

The songs slap too.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
How did the pitch for this show even happen!? It's like a high-quality/younger audience version of the type of shit you'd see on Adult Swim at 3 AM.
"Charlie the Unicorn, with a Cronenbergian angle"?

• When the stories aren't completely stalled out it's a decent amount of fun. I don't think it's super great though- a lot of stuff kind of just felt like it was going to be explained later like the other human or who the nowhere king was or the war against the minotaurs before they moved to the other world and while we get a huge big action scene, it feels fairly pointless because the villain more or less just respawns and i had a hard time following the rules of his character. we barely get ANY insight into rider after reuniting with her- its hard to get a grip on what she's thinking about all this. as much as i liked the weird art style corruption arc for horse, it also feels random and unexplained. in general this show seems to be running on rule of funny- but also for drama too, which isn't really working for me when we have so much wasted runtime. plots feel like they often run in a circle- the finale especially- horse has to go back to say hi to her friends which for the plot activates the nowhere king and the other human decides to get involved off-screen? why wasn't this more condensed? likely to fit in the original musical number before this and to prevent the audience from asking why they didn't just go in the portal during or before the song.
  • i just honestly could not get a good read on where this show wants to go in the future. they set up the nowhere king to be the main antagonist but his deal is more or less kind of just the lich from adventure time, except he might also have a unexplained link with the other human character who can't kill him for whatever reason. horse says she's gonna stay behind in centaurworld to form an army to stop the nowhere king but if thats the sole focus of season 2 i cant imagine the pacing problem gets any better. they might explain things more with wammawink and some other characters- i dont think the giraffe guy really got a spotlight episode. maybe horse changes even more of her appearance while in centaurworld. i dunno, it just feels overall like the series has some lingering stuff but could just end right here and i wouldn't really feel like we missed a big opportunity.
I agree that the ending of season 1 does make it tough to know how s2 will go about things.
It won't have the annoyed fish-out-of-water setup, though I guess that can still come across when trying to corral these assorted wacky types into a fighting force. It is true that not too much would have to change in order to make it feel like a satisfactory one-and-done season.

Felt a little unsatisfying that Horse and Rider decided to split up again so quickly after reuniting. And since it's not brought up as a concern, I guess further mutations/memory loss won't be a serious problem (beyond maybe some more useful magic abilities.) But at the same time, the fact that those are issues at all is some proof that the show did a good job in making me invested in Horse's troubles.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the ending of season 1 does make it tough to know how s2 will go about things.
It won't have the annoyed fish-out-of-water setup, though I guess that can still come across when trying to corral these assorted wacky types into a fighting force. It is true that not too much would have to change in order to make it feel like a satisfactory one-and-done season.

Felt a little unsatisfying that Horse and Rider decided to split up again so quickly after reuniting. And since it's not brought up as a concern, I guess further mutations/memory loss won't be a serious problem (beyond maybe some more useful magic abilities.) But at the same time, the fact that those are issues at all is some proof that the show did a good job in making me invested in Horse's troubles.
i really disliked how little we got to know about rider. the narrative def wants us to just take horse's ideas about her for granted but i was kind of expecting somewhat of a twist later (like rider really just seeing horse as a tool and replacing her) or some kind of flashback episode to give us more insight on her, but nope. they could have gone with a mean route and im glad they didnt necessarily go that route but the other route they went didnt deepen her character or relationship that's kind of extremely core to the story. the decision to make them split after fighting the nowhere king was also kind of unsatisfying as you said. maybe this gets more rectified in season 2 and im aware the problem is i just want more show, but i also don't see how they fix this problem in a season 2 unless they split focus. which wouldn't even be necessarily bad- would help with the pacing problem i have with it.