• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
thats a weak ass werewolf given the source material, unless they all work for the technocrats. though admittedly given the developers there is acually more thought put into combat then I thought their would be.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I was in this game's marketing team, I'd have probably suggested that the very first attacks we see from a mighty Garou in Crinos form not deflect harmlessly off a rent-a-cop's shield.

it was pretty funny though

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like a so-so AA game. Looks like it could be okay I guess. I think the title and concept puts me off more than anything else. It's like the guy that wears those wolf t-shirts you buy at the market decided to make his own video game.

Not that there's anything wrong with it if that's you though, just somehow a bit too generic and edgy at the same time, for me.

Oct 27, 2017
The multiple forms aren't like most werewolves. The dude is straight up a zoan DF user from One Piece, with his full human, full animal, and hybrid forms

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Willing to give games like this a shot, but the art style isn't doing the visuals any favours.

It just looks super bland visually.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Dragging people along by their head is good, but they need to improve that impotent people tossing. Corpses just sort of drift towards and gently land somewhere adjacent to the enemies you're trying to hit and who don't react? Needs oomphy physics and people properly smacking into each other.

I think this also would have benefited from some gory dismemberment and brutal finishers, but I guess that perhaps wasn't possible within budget.
Combat in this feels like it should feel like X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Oh you can rip people's heads off after you've grabbed them, I noticed.
More of that sort of thing please.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Is this a sequel to this NES game?

Not sure if this is serious, but if it is, no. It's an adaptation of a tabletop roleplaying game in The World of Darkness set that includes many different titles with this type of naming scheme: Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Vampire: The Masquerade, Hunter: The Reckoning, etc.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
Just looking at the game makes me wish we could get another game in the legacy of Kain series.. :(

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
A few thoughts
1. The multiple forms aren't like most werewolves. The dude is straight up a zoan DF user from One Piece, with his full human, full animal, and hybrid forms
2. They managed to make a Native American character still somehow look just like a generic bald white dude
3. I hope they lean into the Native American stuff like the OG Prey did
I think the MC is supposed to be of Celtic descent, as per some earlier news snippet. Could be wrong though.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
It looks good to me, tbh. I think that i'm starting to trust more in this project than in the Bloodlines 2 one, lol.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
A few thoughts
1. The multiple forms aren't like most werewolves. The dude is straight up a zoan DF user from One Piece, with his full human, full animal, and hybrid forms
2. They managed to make a Native American character still somehow look just like a generic bald white dude
3. I hope they lean into the Native American stuff like the OG Prey did

Most of these questions are answered by the ruleset/lore of the source material (Werewolf: The Apocalypse) -
1) Almost all of the werewolves can fully morph between all 3 forms (Wolf - lupus, Werewolf - Crinos, Human - Homid). Later versions of the ruleset actually had forms in between those forms (so, like...halfway between giant werewolf and human, or halfway between giant werewolf and wolf form). All werewolves (garou) could freely shift between at any times except those born from the mating of two werewolves, which were locked to a single form.
2) The character in the game is a member of the Fianna tribe, which is s tribe of Irish/Celt werewolves. The Werewolf: The Apocalypse has a bunch of different "tribes" of werewolves, like Vampire's "clans", that, like a lot of RPG rulesets, act as stand-in for "races" and in a kind of similarly iffy way, determine the goals/temperament/etc. For instance, the Black Furies are a tribe of female garou who fight for women's rights, the Red Talons are a group of lupus-only separatist garou that don't believe in human societies, the Get of Fenris are a bunch of 'proud Germanic' warrior werewolves, and the Stargazers are a tribe of Hindu werewolves. Only the Uktena and Wendigo tribes are actually First Nations/Indigenous in the game.
3) This is honestly a kind of (or really) dicey thing about the Werewolf The Apocalypse ruleset: they fly really fast and loose with First Nations/Indiginous language. All of the werewolf groups are called "tribes", the meetings they have are called "moots", a lot of the basic tenets of the mythos of the werewolves in the game are based on sort of stereotypical First Nations stuff like "being connected to Gaia (the idea of nature)", how they fight against the encroaching industrialization of the land, a mysticism with "ancestors" and packs and family lineages and stuff. They play really fast and loose with it all and I have no idea what would classify as cultural appropriation, what would be cultural insensitivity, and what would be just taking the mythos of a group of people and "celebrating" it in a 90s style 'cool way'. I can't tell what's a celebration of it and what's a pastiche. They use terminology like "Cairn" to signify a meeting spot of werewolves, which is Gaelic, and there's a few other terms that are pulled from European tribal peoples as well....so it all sort of gets muddled with trying to make a connection between werewolves and early tribal peoples of a bunch of different ethnicities/lands. None of it seems like a mocking of these cultural aspects - the werewolves are pretty much always portrayed as righteous and "pure" (in a nature sense), which any sort of industrialization and technology is generally seen as "infecting" earth (though that has some real cultural knock-on problems as well).

But anyway - it's a potentially fraught ruleset/lore, and i'm curious whether this game will bring some more educated criticism of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Most of these questions are answered by the ruleset/lore of the source material (Werewolf: The Apocalypse) -
1) Almost all of the werewolves can fully morph between all 3 forms (Wolf - lupus, Werewolf - Crinos, Human - Homid). Later versions of the ruleset actually had forms in between those forms (so, like...halfway between giant werewolf and human, or halfway between giant werewolf and wolf form). All werewolves (garou) could freely shift between at any times except those born from the mating of two werewolves, which were locked to a single form.
2) The character in the game is a member of the Fianna tribe, which is s tribe of Irish/Celt werewolves. The Werewolf: The Apocalypse has a bunch of different "tribes" of werewolves, like Vampire's "clans", that, like a lot of RPG rulesets, act as stand-in for "races" and in a kind of similarly iffy way, determine the goals/temperament/etc. For instance, the Black Furies are a tribe of female garou who fight for women's rights, the Red Talons are a group of lupus-only separatist garou that don't believe in human societies, the Get of Fenris are a bunch of 'proud Germanic' warrior werewolves, and the Stargazers are a tribe of Hindu werewolves. Only the Uktena and Wendigo tribes are actually First Nations/Indigenous in the game.
3) This is honestly a kind of (or really) dicey thing about the Werewolf The Apocalypse ruleset: they fly really fast and loose with First Nations/Indiginous language. All of the werewolf groups are called "tribes", the meetings they have are called "moots", a lot of the basic tenants of the mythos of the werewolves in the game are based on sort of stereotypical First Nations stuff like "being connected to Gaia (the idea of nature)", how they fight against the encroaching industrialization of the land, a mysticism with "ancestors" and packs and family lineages and stuff. They play really fast and loose with it all and I have no idea what would classify as cultural appropriation, what would be cultural insensitivity, and what would be just taking the mythos of a group of people and "celebrating" it in a 90s style 'cool way'. I can't tell what's a celebration of it and what's a pastiche. They use terminology like "Cairn" to signify a meeting spot of werewolves, which is Gaelic, and there's a few other terms that are pulled from European tribal peoples as well....so it all sort of gets muddled with trying to make a connection between werewolves and early tribal peoples of a bunch of different ethnicities/lands. None of it seems like a mocking of these cultural aspects - the werewolves are pretty much always portrayed as righteous and "pure" (in a nature sense), which any sort of industrialization and technology is generally seen as "infecting" earth (though that has some real cultural knock-on problems as well).

But anyway - it's a potentially fraught ruleset/lore, and i'm curious whether this game will bring some more educated criticism of it.

Whoa, thanks for the huge writeup! I honestly didn't know much about the source material, or even that it was based on anything!
Also cool that this and Vampire: The Masquerade are in the same shared universe

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Whoa, thanks for the huge writeup! I honestly didn't know much about the source material, or even that it was based on anything!
Also cool that this and Vampire: The Masquerade are in the same shared universe

Yeah, the overarching "World of Darkness" has these extensive rulesets/lore for a whole bunch of different monsters - Aside from Vampire and Werewolf (the two most popular), they had Wraith: The Oblivion (ghosts), Mage: The Ascension (magic/witches/warlocks), Changeling: The Dreaming (Gaelic faeries and shapeshifters), Hunter: The Reckoning (monster hunters), and Mummy: The Resurrection (Egyption myths/monsters).

They are all very 90s, which, as a 90s kid, i thought they were super cool. They all likely have some very not-good elements that I was completely blind to at the time. That said, I've been waiting for some kind of Werewolf The Apocalypse game for 20+ years, so i'll still take whatever I can get hahahah.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
It looks quite okay, nothing that good though, which is a letdown, I had high hopes for it.
I could swear that their previous games looked better especially Styx Shards of Darkness.