• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Were you impressed with the visual effects during the fight between Spiderman and Mysterio?

• Yes

Votes: 308 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 77 20.0%

• Total voters

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Watched that in theaters. Was super crazy. I don't know how they do that. Not sure if its as impressive in home media.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty astounding. There are moments where Spidey himself looks pretty CG, but overall it's such a wild, inventive sequence

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I was far less impressed with the technical aspects of the CGI than I was of the concept of the scene itself.

":D Hahaha, we're watching a Spider-Man film and having a great time-- YO, WHAT THE FUCK?"

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
at times it gave me a 'rhino from black panther' feel, but just like with BP, everything fit together smoothly to make for a very enjoyable moment overall

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
Having not seen the film myself, my favourite takeaway from watching that is the revelation that Mysterio, canonically, is just wearing a regular mocap suit like the actors on-set, and that his orb mask is actually all just equipment to do live performance tracking for his illusions. That is hilarious, and awesome.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
This movie needed 100% more Mysterio and 100% less teenage drama bullshit

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
As a follow-up to my previous gif, I wanted to say that not only was a very impressed with the visual effects, but I loved the way it was conceptualised and directed. It managed to finely balance being comprehensible yet confusing and unsettling, making both Peter and the audience question what they were seeing whilst also interweaving call-backs to old comic Mysterio history. I loved it.

This movie needed 100% more Mysterio and 100% less teenage drama bullshit
Imagine something like Baby Driver or Ocean's 11 with Quentin and his shitty team confounding and swindling other shittier people in order to get the funds for all their tech.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Effective from a story/character perspective, thematically very in line with classic depictions of Mysterio, and very visually interesting and stylish.

It's a shame it was somewhat below the photorealistic bar, for me at least. It was super obviously intangible and made of CGI.

It still works, but I could imagine a better version of this scene that felt more believable in the moment. Still a great scene.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
It was great to see some of those Mysterio comic pages brought to life. I loved the fuck out of it watching it in theaters.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
CGI was alright, nothing to write home about, but the actual art direction and conception was pretty badass.

Nov 1, 2017
Seeing how the nightmare sequence is supposed to be generated by computers/drones in the universe, it actually makes sense to me that there might be imperfections in the illusion.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
From a technical perspective, absolutely not. Creatively it was great but the CGI was never convincing.

tacoslayer

Oct 30, 2017
I thought it was incredible...was it absolutely photoreal? not all of it but what a tricky sequence to pull off visually. super well done overall

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah. Really played in well with the themes of the movie of very showy/performative special effects vs more subtle stuff. All the stylized dream stuff looked like CG but I was completely blown away when I found out that all the "IRL" Night Monkey sequences were 100% CG. I couldn't tell in the theater.
Screen-Shot-2020-10-09-at-3-58-20-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-10-09-at-3-55-03-PM.png

jman912

Dec 31, 2018
I don't see not looking completely realistic as a problem. It makes a nice contrast when it does cut to reality.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
As a total package, I thought it was pretty fantastic.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
The problem is believing how much of it it's supposed to be a bunch of drones. Honestly it need a lot of suspension of disbelieve because the moment they reveal it's all drones and projections the kind of hits Peter is taking and also some things the water and lava monster do are like, how are these drones supposed to be doing that exactly?

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
An absolutely incredible interpretation of the comic panels. A lot of the sequences were pulled from panels of the comics directly which was a fun easter egg but even without knowing that, it was one of the more imaginative scenes in the MCU.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
That was the best part of the movie. Mysterio was cool I loved that they used him in a movie

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
The scene where he messed with Spiderman's head is easily one of my favourite scenes in the entire MCU. It was really creative.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It was good, but not much better than what I've seen from the MCU. It wasn't even my best use of CGI that year (points to Doctor Sleep).

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Hell yeah. Really played in well with the themes of the movie of very showy/performative special effects vs more subtle stuff. All the stylized dream stuff looked like CG but I was completely blown away when I found out that all the "IRL" Night Monkey sequences were 100% CG. I couldn't tell in the theater.
Screen-Shot-2020-10-09-at-3-58-20-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-10-09-at-3-55-03-PM.png
Whenever people call the CG in marvel movies I can't help but laugh because 99.9% of the shots that are CG/have vfx aren't even discernible.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the background during that mind trip scene (like that building) being entirely cgi was crazy. I was pretty sure they just planed a cgi spidey in there. Spider-Man was obviously all cgi though