• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you know this before this vid

• Yes

Votes: 43 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 353 89.1%

• Total voters

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Cool to know, but yet another thing that's never explained anywhere for folks to know. This is a minor thing though so fine as an easter egg.

Nov 17, 2017
I saw a video of a squirrel eating a nut off the ground in BOTW and it blew my mind. Not sure if that's sad or not lmao
The most recent "secret" that surprised me was that if you throw mushrooms in water with the corresponding fish (ex. iron shroom - any fish that gives a defense buff) it will function as bait and attract them.

It's not exactly a useful mechanic since you can easily just dive in and grab fish or bomb/electrocute the water for an easy catch but it's interesting that it's still there.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't aware of this, but the frost/fire sword trick seems more permanent. I discovered that randomly when I pulled out a fire sword on the mountains. This was the kind of stuff I loved to discover in this game, years later and I'm still learning new tricks.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Knew about being wet (Divinity Original Sin series plays with this too) but didn't know the jelly did anything besides sit in my inventory forever unused.
I used jelly to build campsites and air currents since you just needed to apply fire for them to transform into the more useful fire chuchu jelly, but this was news to me.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I had no idea.

I know this might sound like blasphemy, but I kinda hope the sequel make clothing something that can be damaged/destroyed. A lot of the cool minutia of this game is never needed because you can eventually just get a coat or something that makes extreme temps irrelevant after a small bit of exploration. If clothing damage was a thing (or if clothing was simply not as strong against extreme weather) you'd wind up having to find ways of being more creative.
What a terrible design choice that would be. If people complain about destructive weapon, imagine the outcry with destructive clothing.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Didn't realize regular Chuchu jelly did that but doesn't holding frozen Chuchu jelly work as well?

The chemistry system is so delightful. Nothing better in a game than having an idea, trying it out, and having it work.

I had no idea.

I know this might sound like blasphemy, but I kinda hope the sequel make clothing something that can be damaged/destroyed. A lot of the cool minutia of this game is never needed because you can eventually just get a coat or something that makes extreme temps irrelevant after a small bit of exploration. If clothing damage was a thing (or if clothing was simply not as strong against extreme weather) you'd wind up having to find ways of being more creative.

I don't hate that idea. Or perhaps only make clothing equipable at stables or something so if conditions change while out in the wilds the systems can't be cheesed by simply changing clothes.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The amount of systems that are working simultaneously in BOTW is awesome. The game is such a profound leap forward for the series.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Yeah this makes sense. Like, the clothing should have some sort of drawback. It would make sense that even the warmest outfit wouldn't keep you safe from a blizzard forever, and that outfits for extreme heat would eventually deteriorate and need to be repaired.

The fact that otherwise resources are not infinite would require and allow for more experimentation, as opposed to a 'I'll just keep doing this one thing over and over again' that could happen otherwise.
Why do you people feel the need to hinder the player so much? Imagine having to keep tabs on this? What if you run out of items to keep you cool or cold and are almost in your objective and you die or have to drop out? No, just no.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BotW is called "I DID NOT KNOW YOU COULD DO THIS - The Game" for a reason.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BotW nails the "discovery" aspect of Zelda so well. Every single time you play it, you find cool mechanic or new location.

I am hoping I can forget enough of the game so that someday when I return to it, it feels fresh again.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Why do you people feel the need to hinder the player so much? Imagine having to keep tabs on this? What if you run out of items to keep you cool or cold and are almost in your objective and you die or have to drop out? No, just no.

Allowing the player to bypass the game's more interesting systems by tapping a button in the menu doesn't lend itself to many interesting stories.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think I knew that being wet would cool you down but I didn't even realize you could do that to the jelly.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Cool to know, but yet another thing that's never explained anywhere for folks to know. This is a minor thing though so fine as an easter egg.
That is literally the entire point of Breath if the Wild. It's a game that promotes personal experimentation, much like the original Zelda.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I hope in BotW2 we can strip naked and slather our bodies in chu jelly. That way the monsters can't catch us because we're too slippery.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
BotW is amazing for all these little details, but I desperately hope that BotW2 actually directly utilizes more of these in actual play and puzzle solving in addition to expanding on the number of these kinds of wtf little tricks people keep discovering years later.

It would be cool if we could throw Chu Jellies at things and not just hit them to break. Have a dungeon with a puzzle where we have to put out a fire and there's a chu jelly over it and we shoot it with an arrow. Then a body of water with spikes in it so we can't swim and we need to freeze the water to make platforms with some white chu jellies nearby we can throw to do it. Shit like that.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
What a terrible design choice that would be. If people complain about destructive weapon, imagine the outcry with destructive clothing.

I thought destructive weapons was a brilliant idea, personally, and adored it.

That's the whole point. There's tons of systems in place and we don't have to use them in the original game because gear is often over powered. By making it less over powered you'd actually have to use game systems more and get more out of the game in return.

Cold enviroment? Put on your best jacket but your health will still slowly drain if you're out too long, so hopefully you brought a lot of snacks to beef up your health or killed a bunch of fire chu chus and can hold their jelly for warmth or use your fire arrows on a tree to light it on fire and warm yourself or take refuge in a cave to get out of the cold and explore inside for a bit collecting more food to keep going.

Hot enviroment? Your cooling outfit has really poor defense and all your heavy weapons just make it worse. Time to get creative. Maybe find a big metal door to drag around with you for shade, collect bottles to store water in to cool off, maybe that ice wizzrobe staff will keep you cool if you use it as your main weapon, maybe the ice from your wizzrobe staff will melt into small pools that you can cool off in.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's the same as equipping a fire sword to keep yourself warm in the snow 🤔

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
No, of course I didn't lol. Makes perfect sense though! Man, what a game. I should really get around to finishing it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
I learned today that the Hylian Shield you get at Hyrule Castle can have stat bonuses, like Durability Up and Defense Up, making it even more OP.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

That's the whole point. There's tons of systems in place and we don't have to use them in the original game because gear is often over powered. By making it less over powered you'd actually have to use game systems more and get more out of the game in return.

Cold enviroment? Put on your best jacket but your health will still slowly drain if you're out too long, so hopefully you brought a lot of snacks to beef up your health or killed a bunch of fire chu chus and can hold their jelly for warmth or use your fire arrows on a tree to light it on fire and warm yourself or take refuge in a cave to get out of the cold and explore inside for a bit collecting more food to keep going.

Hot enviroment? Your cooling outfit has really poor defense and all your heavy weapons just make it worse. Time to get creative. Maybe find a big metal door to drag around with you for shade, collect bottles to store water in to cool off, maybe that ice wizzrobe staff will keep you cool if you use it as your main weapon, maybe the ice from your wizzrobe staff will melt into small pools that you can cool off in.
You have the choice to do all that without forcing it on everyone. If you can't control yourself, it's on you, not on the devs. Do it yourself, don't force it on me. The biggest draw of BOTW is player's choice and by forcing terrible systems on people is removing that.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

The outfits quickly trivialise all the resistance potions. Having some downsides to armour could help keep stuff like heat/cold resistance measures more relevant for longer. Would also make upgrading clothing more worthwhile beyond completionism.

Personally, the most interesting moments of the game were when the environment itself was a challenge, and I'd love a bit more pressure or benefit for finding an alcove where I could start a fire, using chu jelly like what's in the OP, and so forth. Considering for how long I played the game for, it would've been nice for the game world to feel like it's pushing back as much as when I was starting on the Great Plateau.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Me too. I think the biggest issue I had with it was that we could expand our inventory. The starting 8 slots were already a lot and as you progressed was enough to trigger some hoarding tendencies as the better weapons lasted so much longer. But then the ability to more than double that really undermined the weapon breaking system as you could carry an absurdly large arsenal with you at all times. I would love it if BotW2 limited us to just 6 slots total for the whole game. It's fine if they want to tweak the durability of the weapons and making some other changes, but I loved that scrambling in battle to find weapons and having to use runes and other things like chu jellies to deal with enemies and steal their weapons when a traditional weapon was not available on hand.

Apr 21, 2018
This video reminds me how salty I still am that the wolf companion is locked behind an amiibo. Why they would bother to program something locked behind such a limited item is beyond me.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
The outfits quickly trivialise all the resistance potions. Having some downsides to armour could help keep stuff like heat/cold resistance measures more relevant for longer. Would also make upgrading clothing more worthwhile beyond completionism.

Personally, the most interesting moments of the game were when the environment itself was a challenge, and I'd love a bit more pressure or benefit for finding an alcove where I could start a fire, using chu jelly like what's in the OP, and so forth. Considering for how long I played the game for, it would've been nice for the game world to feel like it's pushing back as much as when I was starting on the Great Plateau.
Again: it's a choice you can do for yourself without needing it to force on everyone. You're not forced to use clothing, you do it because you want to. The choice is there and it's up to you go make it or not.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You have the choice to do all that without forcing it on everyone. If you can't control yourself, it's on you, not on the devs. Do it yourself, don't force it on me. The biggest draw of BOTW is player's choice and by forcing terrible systems on people is removing that.

how is it "forcing" if the mechanic is taken into account by all the systems in the game?

everything in botw "forces" you to do things differently

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I knew walking out of water kept you cool for a bit, but never did it occur to me to utilize chu chu in this way. Wow.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
how is it "forcing" if the mechanic is taken into account by all the systems in the game?

everything in botw "forces" you to do things differently
It's forcing if you're removing something that already exists to satisfy very few people that would be happy with a permanent damage system. And it's very minority of players that would like that. You can CHOOSE to play the game like this, it doesn't need to be forced on everyone. I want to use protective clothing for no damage. You don't. The choice is there, make use of it.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Those systems exist because they're kinda the whole point of the game. If you're avoiding them you're kinda avoiding the reason the game exists as it is.

Me too. I think the biggest issue I had with it was that we could expand our inventory. The starting 8 slots were already a lot and as you progressed was enough to trigger some hoarding tendencies as the better weapons lasted so much longer. But then the ability to more than double that really undermined the weapon breaking system as you could carry an absurdly large arsenal with you at all times. I would love it if BotW2 limited us to just 6 slots total for the whole game. It's fine if they want to tweak the durability of the weapons and making some other changes, but I loved that scrambling in battle to find weapons and having to use runes and other things like chu jellies to deal with enemies and steal their weapons when a traditional weapon was not available on hand.

Agreed. I'd tend to hoard 1 of every weapon I liked most and not use it until I found a duplicate. I'd also be ok if they allowed you to pick up broken weapons and get them repaired, if it made other people happy that there was a way to get weapons back eventually.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's forcing if you're removing something that already exists to satisfy very few people that would be happy with a permanent damage system. And it's very minority of players that would like that. You can CHOOSE to play the game like this, it doesn't need to be forced on everyone. I want to use protective clothing for no damage. You don't. The choice is there, make use of it.

again.

if all the game systems are taking into account that mechanic, the game can be balanced and designed around it.

so is not "forcing"

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Those systems exist because they're kinda the whole point of the game. If you're avoiding them you're kinda avoiding the reason the game exists as it is.
Choices, how do they work? Tastes, how about that?
You can choose to interact with the systems, I can choose to bypass them. It's a choice that nintendo deliberately made to account for all types of players.
Some want to utilize the systems, some don't, that's the beauty of this game. It's all about choice.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
again.

if all the game systems are taking into account that mechanic, the game can be balanced and designed around it.

so is not "forcing"
It's balanced around players choice: you can choose to engage with the system or not. The game is designed around accommodating players choices. You can play the way you think it fits you better and I play the way it fits me better. I don't want to engage with these systems but I still want to play the game. See? That's how choices work.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Choices, how do they work? Tastes, how about that?
You can choose to interact with the systems, I can choose to bypass them. It's a choice that nintendo deliberately made to account for all types of players.
Some want to utilize the systems, some don't, that's the beauty of this game. It's all about choice.

what systems did you actually bypass on botw???

you are engaging with them regardless, just becuase you found a way for them to not be so impactful for your gameplay doesnt mean you are ignoring them completely