• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you know this before this vid

• Yes

Votes: 43 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 353 89.1%

• Total voters

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

I didn't know that being wet would temporarily cool the player down when out in the desert, and even then, I probably wouldn't have noticed chu jelly drenches the player when burst.

It's cool to me because it seems directly the logical result of the game's systems. Makes me continue to appreciate the game, and makes me look forward to such systems being taken further in the sequel, hopefully.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I didn't know about that. I think I knew that being wet would cool you down, but that was it. I usually either wear heat resistant clothing or worst case, carry a frost wand.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knew about being wet (Divinity Original Sin series plays with this too) but didn't know the jelly did anything besides sit in my inventory forever unused.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
No, but that's what good about BOTW, it's not a great Zelda game, but it's really good at the sandbox, experimental gameplay.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is "if you hold a Deku Stick near a butterfly in OoT it'll land on it and turn into a fairy in OoT" all over again.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
It's amazing how we take Chemistry engines for granted in video games when it should probably be just as mandatory as a Physics engine

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I had no idea.

I know this might sound like blasphemy, but I kinda hope the sequel make clothing something that can be damaged/destroyed. A lot of the cool minutia of this game is never needed because you can eventually just get a coat or something that makes extreme temps irrelevant after a small bit of exploration. If clothing damage was a thing (or if clothing was simply not as strong against extreme weather) you'd wind up having to find ways of being more creative.

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea.

I know this might sound like blasphemy, but I kinda hope the sequel make clothing something that can be damaged/destroyed. A lot of the cool minutia of this game is never needed because you can eventually just get a coat or something that makes extreme temps irrelevant after a small bit of exploration. If clothing damage was a thing (or if clothing was simply not as strong against extreme weather) you'd wind up having to find ways of being more creative.
People already hated weapon degradation and you want clothing degradation too?!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea.

Aonuma introducing Breath of the Wild 2:

"After listening to our player's feedback we have decided that weapons will no longer be breakable in this game. By the way your clothing can break instead."

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Aonuma introducing Breath of the Wild 2:

"After listening to our player's feedback we have decided that weapons will no longer be breakable in this game. By the way your clothing can break instead."
I prefer that to be honest, because potions and food is quick to make, to make up for it.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I never did it with Chuchu Jelly, but I know that cold things can cool you down and vice versa. Frost and flame weapons work well.

Also you can use metallic weapons to solve electric circuit puzzles, as they conduct electricity.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I have such insanely high expectations for BotW 2. The way BotW continues to amaze me years later.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
This is "if you hold a Deku Stick near a butterfly in OoT it'll land on it and turn into a fairy in OoT" all over again.
I don't think this is teh same type of feature. The butterfly thing isn't some established, fundamental law of physicsor "chemistry" in the game world, and is instead a bespoke easter egg for that one scenario.

What appealed to me most was that the chu jelly thing is that it's seemingly just a result of "water cools player down," and "burst chu jelly splashes water," which leads to this.

I had no idea.

I was thinking that if clothing had time limits on resistance to the elements that start once you're exposed to them (similar to potions, but for longer periods of time) it could force players to engage with or stumble across more of these systemic solutions. Incremental upgrades for clothing could increase that time limit until it's unlimited, and do more than just increase defense and unlock a unique feature.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I didn't know the Jellys did this, but I knew the Frost and Fire weapons effected your temperature, they're way more handy.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really want underwater mechanics, which introduces a pressure gauge system. It will only allow Link to dive so far before he dies. He has to build suits or machines to go further and further to secrets

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Oh wait, REGULAR Chu Chu jelly?

I thought this was ICE Chu Chu jelly. Like a damn tool who doesn't read the op!

You splash that water on you to cool yourself down? BotW's chemistry engine is so fucking neat.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I was thinking that if clothing had time limits on resistance to the elements (similar to potions, but for longer periods of time) it could force players to engage with or stumble across more of these systemic solutions. Incremental upgrades for clothing could increase that time limit until it's unlimited, and do more than just increase defense and unlock a unique feature.

Yeah this makes sense. Like, the clothing should have some sort of drawback. It would make sense that even the warmest outfit wouldn't keep you safe from a blizzard forever, and that outfits for extreme heat would eventually deteriorate and need to be repaired.

The fact that otherwise resources are not infinite would require and allow for more experimentation, as opposed to a 'I'll just keep doing this one thing over and over again' that could happen otherwise.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I saw a video of a squirrel eating a nut off the ground in BOTW and it blew my mind. Not sure if that's sad or not lmao

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I had no idea!
It makes sense too.
It never occured to me that the Jelee was water!
I just expected it to be jelee or something mucky.