• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Eternal September refers to September of 1993, the time when AOL started offering Usenet access. This date is important, because prior to that, Usenet was mainly (but not entirely) the domain of universities and research institutions, as home internet was still extremely nascent. People on usenet used to bitch about "September" because that was the start of fall semester, which is when many incoming freshmen would experience the internet for the very first time, and thus discourse on BBSes and Usenet groups would plummet as people were slow to become acclimated to proto-web culture. People would either quickly assimilate to usenet culture of the time, or kind of be driven off the internet.

Once AOL started giving access to usenet with their service, "September never ended." Every month, you'd have new users signing up for AOL, which would bring endless n00bs to usenet.

I was around during those days, my dad got compuserve in the late 80's. Because we were the extremely rare group that was part of usenet culture outside of universities and research institutions prior to September of 1993, we always found it insulting. The elitism regarding "eternal september" was that anybody without a university email address would be looked down upon. We paid for a compuserve and later netscape email address at the time, and thus we'd have insinuations that we were new to the internet despite having been around for years at that point.

This is a bit of forgotten internet culture clash, but one my dad still brings up. Were you there for Eternal September?

Last edited:

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah. And my father and I ran up a huge phone bill because AOL didn't have a local access number for our small town.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I was 7 years old at that time, and didn't start using the Internet until November 1995. I didn't join my first message board until 2001.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I knew exactly what what this was about from the tread title. It's still September...

One of my favorite labels was from rec.arts.comics when somebody called it "Four Septembers and a September." in reference to a Sandman story "Four Septembers and a January."

Edit: the snobbery was real, but so was the spike in garbage posting every September. I was never down with the ".com" prejudice but Septembers did suck.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I didn't get online until 1994, when my high school got an ISDN line installed*, but our computer teacher told us about Eternal September in great detail.

(*Our school network had 4 net-enabled logins, and competition was fierce to access them. The computer lab would be full of students at the DOS prompt repeatedly trying to log into them, racing to be first when one was freed.)

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
JFC I had to try like 10 different videos before I found one that would play embedded in the post lmao

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely recall the terms "AOLoser" and "AOLamer" were bandied about frequently in those days.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
So like weekend era?

I was gonna make a joke about needing specific email addresses to make an era account but I don't know if they still do that.

On topic, I was like 5 years too late for this. My first internet experience was dialing into a local ISP and delving straight into geo cities websites that had no reason to exist. Prime September apparently

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a bit of forgotten internet culture clash, but one my dad still brings up. Were you there for Eternal September?

I was like five at the time, but I do distinctively remember when AOL suddenly became a big thing.

We didn't actually get internet until a local dialup company appeared a number of years later tho.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was like five at the time, but I do distinctively remember when AOL suddenly became a big thing.

We didn't actually get internet until a local dialup company appeared a number of years later tho.

EW5I15lWkAEGcEF

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
No (not on the Internet).

And my mom promised to get me a modem for my birthday in 1993 but she did not. I still managed to convince my classmates I was a network hacker.

Didn't get a modem until 1996 when local ISPs started offering unlimited Internet for $20/month. (I still managed to rank up a $200 phone bill in the first month dialing into BBSs, despite attempting to not do so)

Where I lived Internet access prior to 1995 was well into rich kid territory.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Nope. I didn't start using Internet, or AOL for that matter until a friend had it around '95 or so. I didn't get my first computer with dial-up until '99. Got plenty of AOL coasters in the mail, though.