• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
So I recently finished FFVII Remake and I was kinda/sort of blown away by the ending. I don't really think I liked it or that I hated it. Just consistently on the edge of my seat. But I was ready to hate or love it based on the mixed reactions coming from everyone who finished it. Based on the strange reactions from FFVII fans, I had a feeling before I booted up the game that only one thing could result in such a loud reaction from them and it was

*drum roll please*

Zack being alive. I had a hunch and I totally guessed it. Everything else was up in the air (like Sephiroth controlling the Whispers and the protagonists rewriting history), but I guessed that one right. I knew people would absolutely hate that. I thought it was awesome (but the idea of alternate dimensions/timelines for FFVII sounds like the worst thing ever, but I digress) coming after all the other craziness we had witnessed.

Enough about my guesses. What were you able to predict about the ending of FFVII Remake?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
FF7R is one of the few pieces of media I decided to intentionally spoil myself on because people were talking about how crazy it was and I wouldn't want it any other way. Very glad I went in knowing it would be like that.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
It hasn't ended yet. But no this was me at first:

giphy.gif

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I wish I predicted it so I could have stopped playing before it happened. It left a bitter taste with me.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I vaguely figured they were leading into changes because the game kept on hinting at it but at the end did not expect all the crazy KH fates shit. Way too on the nose meta ending.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
In its entirety? I don't think it was possible to predict that, but it was pretty clear they would do something about changing fate since the battle on top of shinra tower... and I had a hunch they were referring to the original plot as fate.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
They put in the trailer 'Cloud, let us defy destiny together' and the name the arbiters of fate, gave away there was some funny business. So kind of. I think in part 2, they're going to be obnoxious, "well actually Aerith still has to die, please cry" and I wouldn't give a shit about that any more.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
There's no way. Go dig up the reddit/threads on it but
zach alive is another-another timeline where Stamp is a different dog breed and Midgar is built differently, which is different from FF7R's midgar, and FF7's Midgar which appears in FF7R only when cloud wakes up after getting sucked up by the duplicating/cloning tornado that both rips up the bridge and crane AND LEAVES ORIGINAL TERRAIN CLONES BEHIND

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Not Zack being alive, but I called it being a pseudo-sequel before the trailer was even over at E3. That in-universe narration of things "coming back" had me unconvinced it was a remake even when logo showed up.

No one in my group watching E3 2015 would agree with me for the years between that trailer and release. Felt good to serve some crow to others for once haha.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Sephiroth fight left me with my mouth open. I loved it, but after I whopped his sorry ass I got this bitter feeling in my mind wondering how the other parts will handle their respective "final boss". You don't get more "final" than Sephiroth.

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
I vaguely figured they were leading into changes because the game kept on hinting at it but at the end did not expect all the crazy KH fates shit. Way too on the nose meta ending.
Yeah I think Nomura went too far. Fighting the Whispers at the end was as far as he should've gotten. Having Sephiroth show up and be the final boss and the party undoing bad things in the FFVII timeline was too much.

André

Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I quickly figured out that the Whispers were trying to have the events of the game stick to the "canon", but the ending sequence, especially everything involving Sephiroth, was so incongruent and out of nowhere that there was no way I could have predicted it. I was also very surprised that we fought him with One-Winged Angel playing.

The ending was a bit disappointing to me because up until then the story was somewhat congruent and could have ended nicely at the end of the highway. But when Aerith suddenly started talking like she was an all-knowing goddess and the characters were teleported to bizarro RPG space land I knew everything was about to go to shit.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The Sephiroth fight left me with my mouth open. I loved it, but after I whopped his sorry ass I got this bitter feeling in my mind wondering how the other parts will handle their respective "final boss". You don't get more "final" than Sephiroth.
My hope is that Sephiroth is not the true enemy, since between the game and other compilation of VII stuff it seems like the true goal needs to be the complete eradication of Jenova.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Nope, but I admittedly spoiled myself on it before release. I love the idea and can't wait to see where things go next, though.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Not Zack being alive, but it was increasingly clear the game was fucking with the way things are supposed to play out. It was when Jessie fucks up her leg that I went "wait a sec..."

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
My hope is that Sephiroth is not the true enemy, since between the game and other compilation of VII stuff it seems like the true goal needs to be the complete eradication of Jenova.
At this point I never want to see Sephiroth ever again. But we're probably gonna spend the whole series dealing with different versions of him. Like KH lol

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I got kinda spoiled because of all the clickbaity article headlines on random newsfeeds and youtube.
I say kinda cause at first I thought it was some sort of simulation or something, but then turns out this is some alternate reality shit with Sephiroth going back in time etc.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree, if the true calamity, Jenova exists between the worlds, and she's released because of Sephiroth's machinations, I think that would make it more exciting than the plot just resolving with Cloud and Sephiroth in a sword fight again. It would help justify this being a sequel, when the original ended so well. One of my favourites parts in the original, was Bugenhagen talking in the observatory, the idea that there's a great universe beyond the old conflict.

Killing Sephiroth, instead of Aerith, and paving the way for a greater evil, I imagine would be coolest twist they could do in part 2.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree, if the true calamity, Jenova exists between the worlds, and she's released because of Sephiroth's machinations, I think that would make it more exciting than the plot just resolving with Cloud and Sephiroth in a sword fight again. It would help justify this being a sequel, when the original ended so well. One of my favourites parts in the original, was Bugenhagen talking in the observatory, the idea that there's a great universe beyond the old conflict.

Killing Sephiroth, instead of Aerith, and paving the way for a greater evil, I imagine would be coolest twist they could do in part 2.
Genesis is coming

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I had no idea what to expect and even then I was taken aback by how insane the ending is. What a fucking game.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Wasn't certain exactly what they were going to pull but I knew they were going to do something of the sort a few hours into the game. They signal that people remember things they shouldn't and that things may possibly be changed pretty early. tbh I don't really get how some people thought the game only got weird at the end, the whispers show up right away and they aren't subtle when they start flashing forward to events that haven't happened yet.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
No way anyone fully predicted that shit

Ill admit i had to play the ending again to even sorta understand what was going on. First time through i was dumbstruck.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Love that they're not following the original, makes me more excited for the next game, even if I didn't the last chapter, I like what it did to the story.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I read something that alluded to the timelines/retcon stuff, so kinda.

I'll also use this opportunity to share this great thread from Reddit about the game's ending, as well as the image showing the three timelines and its various differences:

pqBZ9sc.png

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I 50/50 saw it coming. I figured they would inject new stuff into the story, but not actually change it. I loved everything about it, though. I stand by my opinion of: If you wanted a 1:1 remake of FF7, go play FF7.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The game outright shows the player a cutscene of the White Materia bouncing after Aerith's death when Cloud first arrives in the church. It was telegraphed to hell and back with the Whispers. I have no idea how people didn't see the general outline, even if specifics like "Zach being alive" were out of left field.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I got the whispers right. But otherwise, didn't guess to much specifics. I don't give a toss about Zack.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
AnansiThePersona oh I wanted to ask you about your verdict on New Threat since you've (probably) beaten it by now. I tried to PM you, but couldn't. If you don't mind, could you PM me? I'd love to hear your final thoughts on it.

Oct 28, 2017
For what it's worth, I think it's more "Zack is alive in one of many timelines" rather than "the cast is actually going to run into him".

Showing him live in a different timeline hammers home the theme of "anything can happen this time because we're not bound to the original story" (reverse of Barrett dying and being revived by the echoes).

Prediction: Aerith will survive at the point we all know she would die at, but still has to sacrifice herself by the end of the Remakes so she can "set things right" for the timeline and summon holy as part of the lifestream.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good wiki or something that goes through the story of Remake and how it differed from the original?

It's been so long since I played the original, I can't remember anything but the weapons fights, Aeris dying, Sephiroth being the final boss, chocobo breeding

This helped https://www.cnet.com/news/final-fantasy-7-remakes-confusing-ending-explained/

I could not remember who Zack was at all, I never played Crisis Core

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good wiki or something that goes through the story of Remake and how it differed from the original?

It's been so long since I played the original, I can't remember anything but the weapons fights, Aeris dying, Sephiroth being the final boss, chocobo breeding

This helped https://www.cnet.com/news/final-fantasy-7-remakes-confusing-ending-explained/

I could not remember who Zack was at all, I never played Crisis Core
The only significant changes to the core story are Aerith and Sephiroth seem to have knowledge of the original game's events (to an extent we aren't aware of) and Zack seemingly survives (we don't know if its a retcon or a parallel universe quite yet although they hint at the latter with a different design for the Stamp mascot on a chip bag that flies by in the scene). We also don't know what Zack being alive will affect or if his death just changes time and location. The framing of the story also seems to have changed to "defying destiny" or some such nonsense that I hope they drop or is a McGuffin. The way the original game ended Midgar was just a nebulous "we need to stop/find Sephiroth" type vibe (without having even seen him once at that point) so I don't entirely blame them for trying to make things more interesting to cap off what is an entire game in itself instead of the first 6 hours of a much larger game.

Oct 25, 2017
The only significant changes to the core story are Aerith and Sephiroth seem to have knowledge of the original game's events (to an extent we aren't aware of) and Zack seemingly survives (we don't know if its a retcon or a parallel universe quite yet although they hint at the latter with a different design for the Stamp mascot on a chip bag that flies by in the scene). We also don't know what Zack being alive will affect or if his death just changes time and location. The framing of the story also seems to have changed to "defying destiny" or some such nonsense that I hope they drop or is a McGuffin. The way the original game ended Midgar was just a nebulous "we need to stop/find Sephiroth" type vibe (without having even seen him once at that point) so I don't entirely blame them for trying to make things more interesting to cap off what is an entire game in itself instead of the first 6 hours of a much larger game.

Thanks

When they said there could be changes to the story I jokingly thought they'd keep Aerith alive this time, maybe they actually will lol