• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
More interesting games came out this year in my opinion, at the very least.

I agree. God of War is good but not a game changer or anything. It's a combat heavy game and the combat is just serviceable, from the mechanics themself to the repetitive enemies and terrible boss fights. The dialogue is solid, but the story never really goes anywhere, it's a solid setup for a sequel but that's about it. The puzzles are brain dead and only serve to waste your time. The platforming is automatic. There's also the overabundance of RPG elements. RDR2 had its bright spots, but I had a lot of issues with it. It's issues are well documented so I'll just leave it at that. I don't think 2018 is some powerhouse compared to 2019 at all.

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
I will put forward days gone. I haven't played many games this year but I bought and platinumed it this past week and in my opinion the criticisms are easy over stated. It is a very pretty game with a nice game play hook and I actually found the horde gameplay was very unique and fun.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wished No Man Sky would win something for best ongoing game. The VR Update was astonishing and free.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2 and A Plague Tale are still my two top favs this year. A Plague Tale will most likely get completely ignored.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I don't have the right to choose since I only played few of the great titles this year ,but if I had to choose between the ones I played then Astral chain and dragon quest 11s takes the crown.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Ace Combat 7 deserves more love. It is a must to be nominated for at least best soundtrack. It's my GOTY.
Ace Combat 7 or Fire Emblem: Three Houses better win best soundtrack, both are incredible. I'm still mad about RDR2 winning last year. So many better soundtracks last year: God of War, Celeste, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade 2 (was December 2017 so was open for nominations last year). Something like Smash Bros winning this year will feel like kind of a cop-out IMO because while it's huge and great, It doesn't have nearly as many original compositions as pretty much any other game that would be nominated.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Btw, do we know when the nominee list is out? Is it the 15th??

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Death Stranding if I had to only choose one, since it's my GotY.

But if I could choose the nominees, they'd be as follows:

• Death Stranding
  • Sayonara Wild Hearts
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Sekiro
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Devil May Cry 5

There are still a couple of games I need to play through like Control and Disco Elysium, so my list could change.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Resident Evil 2 is my choice. I didn't even think I'd play it coming into 2019 and I'm still blown away by it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Devil May Cry 5 is unquestionably the game of the year, 2019. A lot of other wonderful games came out this year, but there's only one DMC5.

Jul 8, 2018
Elsinore for me. One of the best adventure games I've played in recent years, shame it seems to have flown under pretty much everyone's radar.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I will legitimately mad if Outer Wilds doesn't get nominated for GOTY. It's the best game I've played since BOTW.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Three Houses since someone else is already going to do Sekiro. I love them both though. I still gotta play astral chain since I bought it I just haven't gotten to play it yet.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Remnant: From The Ashes. It's such a wild game. The coop multiplayer aspect really puts the Souls games to shame when you look at the limitations in those games and the obstacles you have to go through sometimes just to summon people to join your journey or to fight a boss. Remnant shows how fun it can be when you're playing with people right from the get-go.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the last time this has happened but this year has been such a nothing year for me. Out of the games I've played I have no real affinity for any of them and don't really have a game of the year. Maybe Death Stranding will be that game but I am still very early.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Tough...

Days Gone was so much fun....if a little long , but even now I want more from the story and characters ...please Bend ...more

But playing Luigi's Mansion 3 now...wow, what a polished amazingly fun game...pure distilled Nintendo , so much love in this game...

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Its clearly been a hell of year because so many amazing games earn't even going to get a sniff

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It'll probably get a nomination already, but Three Houses absolutely deserves to be nominated, at the very least. I doubt it'll win, however.

I doubt Disco Elysium will win either, but having an indie game win TGAs this year would also be incredibly cool, especially after how Celeste got robbed last year.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Came in here to state Disco Elysium. Though I still think I would give an RPG award to Fire Emblem. I was a little underwhelmed by Outer Worlds.

I hope to see Smash Ultimate in the nominations just so there's some precedent for December releases still showing up and not being outright ignored.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Control. Hard to say anything else tops it this year.

The rest of the best is also pretty easy IMO, in no particular order:

Death Stranding
Tetris 99
Gears 5
The Outer Worlds

Its really cool how diverse everyone's favorite games from this year is. I thought last year was really lame because I disliked RDR2 and thought that God of War was really good but not mind blowing in any way and the whole conversation was between those 2 games.

True dat. Last year was somewhat meh, despite all the quality, there wasn't as much variety as this year.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn between Death Stranding and Outer Wilds.

I'm about 30ish hours into Death Stranding and still on Chapter 5, and I love it to pieces so far. But I am going to need to see the rest of the story first to fully decide how I feel about it. I'm really loving the world and strand mechanic, but I feel like the cinematic bombasity is not quite there yet. The opening was incredible, but there are long droughts without any real character interaction. That being said if the second half of the game is denser on the storytelling than I won't mind it a bit.

Outer Wilds was pure perfection to me. It set out with a very specific goal, and really became the best version of it's vision. The story, planet interactions, and attention to detail we're so expertly crafted on what was obviously a tiny production it's just incredible and inspiring imo. Solving the Quantum Moon puzzle for the first time was one of the coolest feeling things I've done in a video game.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The Resident Evil 2 Remake isn't a sexy choice, as it is a remake, but it is one of the best games made this generation. Sekiro is also another strong choice. Both of those games deserve to be in the running.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Slay the Spire is my choice. I was consumed by this game for about 4-6 weeks after I bought it this year.