• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I'll get an 8K TV when they start phasing out 4K TVs and the 8K ones are priced the same. Also if most video games hit 8K or close and there is a noticeable enough difference. So likely not until next next gen at the earliest.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
4K is already too high. Streaming services can't deliver good 4K streams, gaming hardware can only push out 4K with serious compromises (yes, even next gen hardware).

8K is just stupid.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's no content at 8k.

Nada.
Zero.
Bupkis.

Plus, any 8k set you buy now will not be standards compliant when the content does show up.

Oct 28, 2017
All you basic plebes are going to be so jelly of my 8k tv. Maybe I'll let you come over to watch some anime someday.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember hearing this exact argument, almost word for word, the year I bought my first 4K television. This and the notion that the jump from 1080p to 4k is not big, and that the majority of consumers wouldn't be able to see the difference between the two.
Speaking strictly of resolution, 4k is not a huge difference compared to 1080p. Especially at 55" or under. It's HDR that makes these new displays worthwhile, not resolution. 4k is already overkill and has minimal content in anything but games. 8k will be utterly useless.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
TVs are going to go through the struggle cameras did a while back where pixel count was all that mattered until it started to negatively impacted performance. Content isn't widely available and you need to be able to drive that content bandwidth and hardware wise.

We're getting to the point 1080 is going to start looking like scaled up 480p on these new sets. People will be disappointed.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
For which content. Well, for people who are looking anyway and want to be future proof, that's maybe good but it's really early.

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of games (in a decade from now) there is no reason to spend extra money on an 8K screen. Your typical movie theater is still using 2K projectors on that 50' screen.

There is no 8K content, and even if there was, at normal viewing distance your eyes would be unable to distinguish any increase in detail. Save your money. Invest in a 4K set that handles wide color gamut with no banding, and has great contrast and brightness for HDR content.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing rn in the blu ray forums are people getting conflicted reports about Ad Astra and whether it was finished on 2K or 4K. The fact that even those nerds, the kind of guys who post their home theater set ups in this forum signatures, can't look at a movie and immediately tell the difference between upscaled 2K and native 4K, should tell you a lot about how pointless this resolution war is.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only good thing about 8K screens is that they'll push down the cost of higher end 4K ones.

Wake me up once OLED has been supplanted by consumer MicroLED.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
8k will be a huge benefit for future VR devices, look forward for it to become viable.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
I remember hearing this exact argument, almost word for word, the year I bought my first 4K television. This and the notion that the jump from 1080p to 4k is not big, and that the majority of consumers wouldn't be able to see the difference between the two.
And you are going to hear it again.

A few years from now when 8k TVs overtake 4k you will see 16k resolution TVs being introduced and people will say how "useless" 16k resolution is and 8k is just fine.

Adoption rate for 4k in the US will surpass 50% this year which is faster than 1080p. So, even though people complain about these higher and higher resolutions being "useless" or "fucking stupid" they are being purchased by people quicker and quicker.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Let me break into the 4k market first before even dreaming about a 8k anything. Gawd...

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
How about they solve black levels and motion handling first, all of which are worse than CRTs.

Adoption rate for 4k in the US will surpass 50% this year which is faster than 1080p. So, even though people complain about these higher and higher resolutions being "useless" or "fucking stupid" they are being purchased by people quicker and quicker.
They barely even sell 1080p TVs anymore, that's why. I highly doubt the majority of them are being used for content >1080p.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
8K needs to be promoted much much more. The faster it gets mass market traction, the sooner we can go over to 16K and then finally 32K. Then the resolution of 49" TVs will finally be high enough that you can't discern individual pixels using an electron microscope, so it's beginning to approach acceptable levels.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
1080p scales perfectly to 4K and looks quite good. same would be the case for 8K.

This is nothing like trying to scale 480/576/720p to 1080p.

I hope that's the case. I'm finally going to upgrade to a 4K OLED this year and I'm hoping that 1080P content doesn't look worse than my current display.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
And you are going to hear it again.

A few years from now when 8k TVs overtake 4k you will see 16k resolution TVs being introduced and people will say how "useless" 16k resolution is and 8k is just fine.

Wouldn't that largely be because those are the only main options? Just like smart TVs probably have greater adoption rates. There are very few non-smart TVs on the market and therefore any of them bought will make the adoption rate high. And plenty of people use their own streaming devices and forego using the smart features of their TV.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
8K will be the new 3D tv. It is hard enough convincing people to adapt to 4K with so little content let alone 8k

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you dont expect the next world cup in 8k and winter olympics in 8k?

The Olympics is because Sony and others are pushing it. The World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world. I don't expect sports in general to do 8K when they're not always even getting 4K consistently right now.

Oct 27, 2017
1080p scales perfectly to 4K and looks quite good. same would be the case for 8K.

This is nothing like trying to scale 480/576/720p to 1080p.
Yeah, you won't get any image distortion because it scales perfectly, but again, what's the point? There isn't much content natively at 4k, let alone 8k, so what is the benefit you gain from this? Being able to see smaller details with more clarity? Which probably requires a certain combination of viewing distance/display size for the differences to not look miniscule

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing by the end of this decade 8K will probably be the norm. My 4K Oled will survive the PS5 era just fine.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
People tend to buy TVs every 7/8 years, which is definitely true for me. I bought a 1080i TV in 2007, a 1080p TV in 2014 (for my parents), and in 2019 I bought a 4K TV.

Which means i'm not touching 8K until 2025.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
That's always how it is until it isn't. 3DTV was a divergence, not a successor like 8K is. They're not really comparable
The thing is, tv's alone don't drive these things. Gaming won't be able to run 8K games for a while, and I don't think there is much of a desire for developers to chase that. Netflix and Amazon have been trying to push 4K with their original content, but very few of them seem to be both 4K and HDR. I'd rather get to a future that standardised and pushed HDR and 4K first.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Is 8K just a huge farce at anything under 85"?

Should I be waiting? because this sounds tempting. But honestly if 8K is all just marketing (as many people seem to claim it is) then Im ready to buy my TV for next gen next month.
Under 85"?? If anyone pulls out one of those silly seating distance charts I may go on a rampage.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
The thing is, tv's alone don't drive these things. Gaming won't be able to run 8K games for a while, and I don't think there is much of a desire for developers to chase that. Netflix and Amazon have been trying to push 4K with their original content, but very few of them seem to be both 4K and HDR. I'd rather get to a future that standardised and pushed HDR and 4K first.

You're 100% right, but it's just a matter of time until game consoles and media devices support 8k, creating a tipping point, even if it ends up taking longer than 4k did. It'll happen eventually, unlike 3DTV which went down a different (deadend) path.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
In before the human eye can only see 4K below a million inches.

I hope that's the case. I'm finally going to upgrade to a 4K OLED this year and I'm hoping that 1080P content doesn't look worse than my current display.

It might look worse. A decent scaler is very important imo. People keep talking about integar scaling but even going from my 24" 1080p display to a 27 or 30" 4K display, 1080p content looks like shit on the 4K, super blurry. Sony, Samsung and Panasonic are supposed to have good scalers but they can be a lot more expensive.

I want 8K eventually, but not now. I'll have nothing to see on it. If my future 4K tv (this year hopefully) can downscale from 6-8K i'll be super happy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like holding out with my 1080p TV has been worth it. (Though I do have a 4K monitor for gaming)

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
More interested in the advances in improving motion resolution and reducing response times. What's the point of having 8K when the smudging during movement makes the quality drop incredibly?

I want a smaller 16:9 CRT for my desktop gaming PC :(

Good, this means ill be able to afford a decent 4K TV this year.
Haha yes! Push those new standards, do it, I'll be several steps behind picking up awesome last-gen stuff.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A foolish pursuit. Not only are there huge limitations in delivering 8K content (even on the production side) but TVs have so many other more pressing flaws that need addressing. More pixels is just a waste of time right now.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
There will be 3 next gen games running at 8k this fall and they all will be variations of Minecraft.

Unless you have money to just throw away or a bleeding edge PC, there is no advantage to spending that much on 8k now given the lack of content.
Even a bleeding edge PC can't run everything maxed out at 4k60, and that's without ray tracing. It will be a very long time before even a $3000 PC can run games at 8k, like, many years.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even a bleeding edge PC can't run everything maxed out at 4k60, and that's without ray tracing. It will be a very long time before even a $3000 PC can run games at 8k, like, many years.

By the time that a $3000 PC can do that, the industry will be trying to push 32K per eye (so effectively 64K/2).

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, 4k TV's didn't become attractive until the new complimenting HDMI 2.1/VRR/120 native hz console features coming out this year. 8k is not going to be a thing for a while for video games, most tv shows, and movies.